Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nana leaving?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Nana leaving?

What this im hearing about Nana could bne possible leaving Toronto FC?
    Heard he declined a contract offer from TFC?

Any other news?
    http://www.24thminute.com/2010/08/na...y-goodbye.html

have to start saying nana, nana, dont sayyyyyy goodbye!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully everyone treats this with the same distain they do other columnists and bloggers, as he says...

"...Not wanting to report a rumour at face value I tracked down a few of my more trusted sources today to ask whether they had heard anything confirming the suggestion...One very good source..."

If you don't say who, people will call you a liar - unless they have a huge double-standard...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Even respected journalists don't name their sources. Though with the advent of the internet age and the increase in bloggers of course people are suspicious.

Even just 10-15 years ago, if it was printed in a newspaper "sources say..." you had to trust it because newspapers would have to go for bat for the reporter if he/she fucked up.

But with newspapers trying to compete with all these bloggers, I think standards have slipped.

Either way I trust Duane.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would make total sense to me that he wants to test the market.

Look at what the guy gets paid and the way the revolving door works in this city when it comes to players and how they are treated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

21 years old, key player on his club, about to become a rock for his NT......he has options.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    Hopefully everyone treats this with the same distain they do other columnists and bloggers, as he says...

"...Not wanting to report a rumour at face value I tracked down a few of my more trusted sources today to ask whether they had heard anything confirming the suggestion...One very good source..."

If you don't say who, people will call you a liar - unless they have a huge double-standard...

Carts...

Hey Carts - no disrespect intended but I think taking that quote from the 24th Minute like you did is quite misleading. You missed the line where he said "...the consensus was that he was looking to move on." So while he does pick out one individual source and goes into more detail, the general feel from many people that he has talked to is that this is a possibility. I think this is a lot different then Wheeler's hearing from one person and reporting it as fact.
    Last edited by Ben - D.O.W.; 08-26-2010 at 10:43 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I can't say that this is unexpected news. It was bound to happen eventually. Hopefully we can keep Cann and sign ourselves another decent option. I think Ty Harden can fill the role if he's given the opportunity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And Doneil Henry - I think the point raised about him being a possible future replacement makes a lot of sense. Of course I'd much rather see Nana back here for at least another year or two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

said it a million times over.....a 2.6 million cap will be the death of this league....

if this is true at all...good luck NANA...!! Your definitely worth more then the peanuts....MLS pay there young stars!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last Tuesday it felt like we were on top of the world after a historic victory over Cruz Azul. In the span of 9 days since then, TFC suffers their worst defeat in history at home against an arch nemesis, rumors swirl regarding a rift between Mista and Preki, TFC wastes a golden opportunity in Panama, and now our most reliable homegrown defender is allegedly on the way out of town? WTF is going on?!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben - D.O.W. View Post
    Hey Carts - no disrespect intended but I think taking that quote from the 24th Minute like you did is quite misleading. You missed the line where he said "...the consensus was that he was looking to move on." So while he does pick out one individual source and goes into more detail, the general feel from many people that he has talked to is that this is a possibility. I think this is a lot different then Wheeler's hearing from one person and reporting it as fact.
    None taken, and definitely a good point by you...

Its just people slam other writers time and again because of quote "...they don't name sources, its not true if you don't name sources..." so I was making a point about their double-standard...

And obviosuly, it totally makes sence that Nana would dip his tow in the market - as we say hear at work...

Its funny, in regards to sports media comments other posters make, they forget I am in the sports media, and have many, many, many, keep going many times had to work and publish with sources that could not be named...

If they were they'd stop being sources, and stopped being employed by their employer - HELL they're protected in court from being named! LOL, yet some on here think they have a right to know...

Kinda funny...

Personally on the Nana issue, dump some deadweight, higher, older player salaries taking up cap space, and shell out deserved $$$ for Nana...

Carts...

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Its funny, in regards to sports media comments other posters make, they forget I am in the sports media, and have many, many, many, keep going many times had to work and publish with sources that could not be named...
    If people named their sources there wouldn't be any news. LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope that MLSE offer a very good contract to Nana, hell he has a few more goals than , Dare I say JDG!!
    Now don't excited, I am just bringing things into perspective.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, I dont really know how to feel about this...

On one hand, I am extatic for Nana, and hope he does go on to better places, and makes one hell of a career for himself.

But, there is my selfish side, I am a little hurt. Our top CB is leaving, and since he wont sign a new contract, he would be leaving on a free, instead of letting us get something out of losing one of our most valuable players.

While I understand that it makes him more appealing to clubs, and it makes the most sence for Nana to do this, it still is a little disheartening to see the kid pack up and leave, with us losing our best CB, and only freeing up 40k of cap space.

This is going to hurt

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally on the Nana issue, dump some deadweight, higher, older player salaries taking up cap space, and shell out deserved $$$ for Nana...

Carts...
    I really don't think that's an option.

It's pretty obvious he wants to test the waters in Europe, nothing wrong with that. He's playing out his contract, not going public with his desire, and he's playing hard for about 1/8th of what he should be making.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

None taken, and definitely a good point by you...

Its just people slam other writers time and again because of quote "...they don't name sources, its not true if you don't name sources..." so I was making a point about their double-standard...

And obviosuly, it totally makes sence that Nana would dip his tow in the market - as we say hear at work...

If they were they'd stop being sources, and stopped being employed by their employer - HELL they're protected in court from being named! LOL, yet some on here think they have a right to know...

Kinda funny...

Carts...
    GARCIA!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super Cereal View Post
    I really don't think that's an option.

It's pretty obvious he wants to test the waters in Europe, nothing wrong with that. He's playing out his contract, not going public with his desire, and he's playing hard for about 1/8th of what he should be making.
    Yeah, you're probably bang on...

Will hate to see him go - will be happy to see him succeed...

Carts...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by razor787 View Post
    Man, I dont really know how to feel about this...

On one hand, I am extatic for Nana, and hope he does go on to better places, and makes one hell of a career for himself.

But, there is my selfish side, I am a little hurt. Our top CB is leaving, and since he wont sign a new contract, he would be leaving on a free, instead of letting us get something out of losing one of our most valuable players.

While I understand that it makes him more appealing to clubs, and it makes the most sence for Nana to do this, it still is a little disheartening to see the kid pack up and leave, with us losing our best CB, and only freeing up 40k of cap space.

This is going to hurt
    Very good point!

Thats is exactly what i was thinking.
    Hoever, In all honesty, I say go ahead Nana, make it to the top!

What i dont like is how TFC didnt offer him a contract extension last year, knowing what we saw from him in 09'. It almost seems like what is the purpose of signing home grown talent, if theyre going to leave on a free anyways.

It cant be like that Nana is atleast worth 500k-1mill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who knows. Last year we may have offered Nana an extention for 100k, which is what I personally think he would be able to get no problem. If he has turned down an offer now, he may have also turned an offer down last year, no way to tell

Either way though, if there is no contract extention, then he is able to just walk away from the club, and we get ass raped. No way we would find anyone as skilled as him, for the 40k he will free up.

Not getting a transfer fee is one thing, but that cap space kills us

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that pretty much sums it up for me. Also from a National Team perspective it would be great to see him in a higher league in Europe.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's going to be a very different team without him, that's for sure.

Hopefully TFC gives him a raise and we keep him for another year or two.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just hope wherever he goes, he plays.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why are people shocked and surprised that nana wants to try for europe?

MLS is getting more rep every season, but Europe is still the place to go to.

if Nana turned down more money from TFC to try for Europe twice, if rumours are true, nothing is really going to stop him, barring TFC dumping a whole lot of cash on him. (that's 300k mark I'd think)

though I'd be mildly annoyed if Nana chooses Denmark or Norway over MLS next season
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, you're probably bang on...

Carts...
    Agreed.

Basically, him leaving is a nightmare as a fan, but I will support his decision and cheer him the whole way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    why are people shocked and surprised that nana wants to try for europe?
    I don't see a lot of shock or surprise in this thread.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Agreed. And people should get used to it. We are still very much a feeder league to the bright lights of European football...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea, sucks though. Any time a team lands great young talent, instead of thinking about how great he will be when they develop, the thought is on how the team will cope when they go to Europe...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are we looking at a restricted free agent type situation here? I'm not 100% sure but think that if you offer a player under 23 (or something like that) current wage + % increase you get to maintain some control over rights to player.

My source is Football Manager 2010.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mls rules give us rights to the player for something like 5 years (unless we recieve money from a transfer).

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

In reality I think Scandinavia beckons. Or possibly one of the Low Countries like the Netherlands or Belgium.

Nana is not good enough to compete in any other European league.

It's just a case of he can make way more money there than here.