Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BakaGaijin View Post
    I like the MLS, but in reality even the J-league is better than the MLS. FACT.
    Source? (your ass doesn't count)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think for sure you're never going to hear a player say the league they are currently in is worse than the one they came from. "Yeah I've come to MLS and it is way shittier than League 1 ... hmm what does that say about me then?!"

If you are going to compare leagues, IMO the teams in Jupiler (and more than the traditional top three - Genk, both teams from there and Cercle Brugge too) would likely all be at the top of an MLS table.

For me though it doesn't matter and it's kinda a waste comparing. I'm likely never going to see a Jupiler game live or even really follow the league for that matter, so I'm happy just taking in TFC & MLS to the fullest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Belgium League - started 1895...
    Major League Soccer - started play 1996...

They damn sure have a decent head start to be better...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigtfcfan View Post
    I definitely agree. Technically and tactically there are very few leagues that are worse than the MLS. Now this doesn't mean that an MLS team cannot beat a team from, say, Belgium, because MLS players just work harder.
    Very few leagues? That's a huge exaggeration.

If you mean 1st level leagues in Europe, even then there are several leagues that are obviously worse. Hungary's league is one, just off of the top of my head.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    the problem with increasing the salary cap (from what i've heard around the league) is that there's teams around who aren't prepared to spend that much.
    You don't mean the cap, you mean the DP thing, right?
    Cuz the cap itself is paid for by the league through a cut of revenue from each team. Since the cap is the same for all, the lesser revenue teams wouldn't complain about salary cap spending since they are subsidized by the bigger revenue teams. Now, this DP thing might be a different story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GetGame View Post
    Source - watch the games. J-League is obviously better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Very few leagues? That's a huge exaggeration.

If you mean 1st level leagues in Europe, even then there are several leagues that are obviously worse. Hungary's league is one, just off of the top of my head.
    I'm sure Moldova has a pretty shite first league too, Lativa, Lithuania, Estonia, Finland, Macedonia, Northern Ireland, Wales are just a few others that are first divisions and worse than MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After the US was eliminated in the World Cup I saw a post online that said, "Okay Ghana, double or nothing on whatever you want - anything else, any other sport, winter or summer, come on."

Sure, the Belgian league is better than MLS for now....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    But yeah it goes without saying that the Belgian league is better than the MLS.

MLS really lacks in the football IQ department.
    Football IQ is something which is developing though. There's retention of players in the league (and yes you can say they're shite but they're useful in contributing to the lower levels - remember the best players in the world were trained by people who were worse than them). The retention of players in management and coaching roles will only serve to advance the game. They will develop coaching skills, they will influence the game at the lower levels as coaches and managers down in the lower tiers try to imitate styles. Players that put on camps while they're still playing are helping develop kids in North America.

Football IQ will grow with age of the league.

It's a long process but we'll get there eventually.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the critical next step is that we have to stop losing players to places like Belgium and Denmark. For the forseeable future we're going to lose top players to top leagues, but American & Canadian players - not the stars, but the middle of the road squad type players - need to be retained by the league, and that means that this league needs to pay a comparable wage for these middle of the road players that the 10th and 11th ranked leagues in Europe do. Forget about trying to compete with leagues in England, Spain, Italy, Germany, France and Holland - lets focus on not losing players to the leagues in that next class of leagues Greece, Portugual, Scotland etc.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really, what's the news here?

We constantly lose top MLS players to Denmark and Norway (and there's no club of the historical caliber of Standard Liege or Anderlecht in those leagues).

It is 100% about the cap (or more specifically, how ours works).

I think (i) if the league minimum were $100-125K (I pick that number because it's what Usanov and Hscanovics make, so that seems to be where the "world journeyman market price " is), and (ii) if roster size was greater than 18, then MLS would be at parity with many Euro leagues.

Until then, it's not.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL.

BC101 is my source. It doesn't get better than that!

Seriously, like C-Bull said.....watch the games. J-league is entertaining.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Really, what's the news here?

We constantly lose top MLS players to Denmark and Norway (and there's no club of the historical caliber of Standard Liege or Anderlecht in those leagues).
    brondby? fc kobenhavn?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL.

BC101 is my source. It doesn't get better than that!

Seriously, like C-Bull said.....watch the games. J-league is entertaining.
    You may be right, I just think this topic is VERY subjective, so the use of the word FACT is a stretch

I actually find the CSL more entertaining than MLS, but I wouldn't call it a better league...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can anyone really be surprised by this?

I like the MLS, but in reality even the J-league is better than the MLS. FACT.

It doesn't mean that MLS is terrible. It is what it is.
    J league has the skill, technical and tactical ability to trump most leagues in the world. The Japanese really know how to develop players.

Quote Originally Posted by TFC USA View Post
    Mexican League > MLS

I don't see how MLS can compare with any major country in Europe.
    Mexican League is probably greater than all but a few leagues in Europe.
    the problem with increasing the salary cap (from what i've heard around the league) is that there's teams around who aren't prepared to spend that much. MLS has an AMAZING angle to it where any team has a shot at winning (DC, top of the standings last year, dead last this year. NYRB, bottom last year, top this year. etc) when you increase the salary cap you're going to create a gap that would be a death sentence for teams like dallas/san jose.

i agree that it does need to be increased, but not before the MLS finds stable markets for these teams.
    If they have a system like post-lockout NHL, which is probably the best out of any of sports league in the world, Dallas and San Jose would have to spend at least a minimum amount. The MLS is already strict so I could see this happening. If they implement anything soft like the NBA, than MLS will turn into a financial mess like that league.

I actually find the CSL more entertaining than MLS, but I wouldn't call it a better league...
    +1

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    brondby? fc kobenhavn?
    Anderlecht, Club Brugge, KV Mechelen and Standard Liege have more cache than Brondby and FC Copenhagen as they are more competitive in Europe than most Scandinavian leagues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You may be right, I just think this topic is VERY subjective, so the use of the word FACT is a stretch

When you've watched enough of both, it is quite apparant that it is not subjective at all.

Is J-league leaps and bounds above MLS?!? No. However, it is better quality. That is a fact.

Better players = better football = better league.

One thing that makes the J-league better is the fact that most of the top Japanese players stay in J-league. They don't move on to European clubs because they get comfortble. Nakamura was quoted as saying that he believes this hurts the Japanese National team program, and I agree, it probably does. However, it is good for the quality of the J-league.

MLS is the opposite. All the quality young Americans usually transfer to European when they start to hit their prime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I was about to make a similar point...the Japanese World Cup team was made up of mostly J-League players and supplied players to the North and South Korean teams as well. America's team was made up of mostly European based players and off hand I can't think of any other World Cup players who came from the MLS...certainly not the quality or number of players that came from the J-League.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not just that their top players stay at home but the way they develop players. Their players have the fundamentals down tight so much better than North American players. Ball control, passing and vision are all superiour traits. Their teams string together many passes, rarely give up the ball and barely have any passes go astray which is a reason watching their games is like viewing an elaborate chess match.
    Last edited by Macksam; 08-20-2010 at 11:33 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the problem with increasing the salary cap (from what i've heard around the league) is that there's teams around who aren't prepared to spend that much. MLS has an AMAZING angle to it where any team has a shot at winning (DC, top of the standings last year, dead last this year. NYRB, bottom last year, top this year. etc) when you increase the salary cap you're going to create a gap that would be a death sentence for teams like dallas/san jose.

i agree that it does need to be increased, but not before the MLS finds stable markets for these teams.

What? This makes absolutely zero sense to me. MLS salaries are paid by..... the league. DP salaries over the cap hit are paid by...... the team.

So unless each team is stacking up on DP's, why the fuck would anyone complain about not wanting to spend that much?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaughno View Post
    What? This makes absolutely zero sense to me. MLS salaries are paid by..... the league. DP salaries over the cap hit are paid by...... the team.

So unless each team is stacking up on DP's, why the fuck would anyone complain about not wanting to spend that much?
    Huh? so you are saying that MLSE doesn't pay anybody's salary except JDG's and Mista's amount over the cap?

That doesn't make sense but I'm not expert.

How is it that San Jose is still paying Garcia's salary if it's all coming from the same pot? what does MLSE have to pay for if they don't apy anybody's salaries?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    Huh? so you are saying that MLSE doesn't pay anybody's salary except JDG's and Mista's amount over the cap?

That doesn't make sense but I'm not expert.

How is it that San Jose is still paying Garcia's salary if it's all coming from the same pot? what does MLSE have to pay for if they don't apy anybody's salaries?
    I think it means that their part goes against their salary.

you do bring up a good point. Why wouldn't you want to be an owner? The league pays for the salary. What exactly do the owners pay then? Do they pay a fee at the beginning of the season based on their salary? Does MLS take a bigger cut of revenue on the teams that do spend? It's one thing I really don't understand in this league. There is quite a bit of grey when it comes to the owners of teams in this league

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ League gets a portion of the gate revenue, tv revenue, etc... That's why they love us and seattle (and any other team that would draw well)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Macksam View Post
    It's not just that their top players stay at home but the way they develop players. Their players have the fundamentals down tight so much better than North American players. Ball control, passing and vision are all superiour traits. Their teams string together many passes, rarely give up the ball and barely have any passes go astray which is a reason watching their games is like viewing an elaborate chess match.
    IMO only reason why J league and to lesser degree K league players don't make it to Europe as often is because of physical attributes. (and mentality of playing in bigger leagues)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO only reason why J league and to lesser degree K league players don't make it to Europe as often is because of physical attributes. (and mentality of playing in bigger leagues)
    That may be part of it, but I think another factor is that the J league pays reasonably well like the Russian league. A lot of Russian players could play in the prem but if it's not for a big four team or something, there really is no point in them going as they can get paid the same at home instead of going to a lesser club like Blackburn.
    Last edited by Macksam; 08-20-2010 at 04:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    ^ League gets a portion of the gate revenue, tv revenue, etc... That's why they love us and seattle (and any other team that would draw well)
    ya, isn't it like 25-30%? I haven't seen the latest numbers. A few years ago someone posted a list of all the shared revenue percentages. It's great for the lesser teams, because they can spend right to the cap number even if the money they give to MLS doesn't equal the cap number.

Does CONCACAF or MLS get anything from these CL games we've been playing at BMO?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    The Belgian Jupiler league's best teams such as Anderlecht, Standard Liege and Club Brugge are better than your standard MLS teams but the rest are nothing to write home about.
    I think the likes of Anderlecht, Standard Liege and Club Brugge would dominate MLS. An MLS side might be able to beat them one off, but over the course of a 30-game season their talent would show through.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why is people putting so much stock into Kljestan's words? not that he doesn't have his own agenda or anything, lol

i mean, if we are going to judge MLS by words of players, heck, Rafa Marquez recently said quality of MLS is about Ligue 1 and Eredivisie level. just who's words are you going to believe?
    How many minutes has Marquez logged in MLS so far?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why is people putting so much stock into Kljestan's words? not that he doesn't have his own agenda or anything, lol

i mean, if we are going to judge MLS by words of players, heck, Rafa Marquez recently said quality of MLS is about Ligue 1 and Eredivisie level. just who's words are you going to believe?
    Dead on. What he's saying is "I sucked in MLS but I'm probably going to suck even more here!!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    we all know skill will win over physical game anytime.(Spain vs Holland)
    Yeah. That was a total blowout.