Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TFC really promoting the CCL

I've been hearing radio ads... something new for TFC.

Also, today 24 Hours Toronto had the following front pages ad:

Page 1:

Page 2:

You could see this as both positive and negative:

Negative: They are having problems selling out this game

Positive: (1) They really believe in this tournament
    (2) They think that Torontonians will really embrace this competition with a bit of education as to its importance (directing people to the "CONCACAF for rookies" feature on the Toronto FC website).

There seems to be some "buzz" being generated about this tournament. Twice, I've overheard people discussing going to it that don't seem to be SSH.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 08-11-2010 at 08:03 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The traffic reports on the Edge have been brought to us by TFC lately....

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TFC are getting the message.

A lot of complaints about the CCL game against Montagua was that there was no advertising about it. The North end was pretty much half empty.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It makes sense to promote this. It's something new for TFC and their fans. I'm sure there are a lot of people on the fence about spending more of their money on this round of tickets. A little education and buzz around the tournament might be just the thing to help them decide they want to watch this live.

It's also an opportunity to get to some of those one-off tickets buyers out there to jump in a buy a few games together. That may be all they need to upgrade to a partial pack of some sort.

Sure, part of it is they have tickets to move. That's expected. MSLE is in the business of selling tickets for entertainment.

I agree there is some buzz around this starting to build.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there's always a fine line.

The team needs to be successful at the ticket booth, AND on the field.

We care about success on the field exclusively, but a truly successful club needs to do well in both aspects.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    there's always a fine line.

The team needs to be successful at the ticket booth, AND on the field.

We care about success on the field exclusively, but a truly successful club needs to do well in both aspects.

i also care about success in the stands, Cruz Azul banner painting today at 12.00 next to Esther Shiner stadium

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is such a good thing. More marketing and some edumacation to boot!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen banner ads for the game on ESPN Soccernet too

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    TFC are getting the message.

A lot of complaints about the CCL game against Montagua was that there was no advertising about it. The North end was pretty much half empty.
    They realized these games just don't sell themselves like MLS regular season games.

I for one am glad to hear the advertising. (I've been hearing them on 680 news) At least they have something other than US (the Supporters) to market now.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AL-MO View Post
    At least they have something other than US (the Supporters) to market now.
    I can see the billboards now....

Toronto FC - Come hang with these guys

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^Epic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think at some point they had to advertise more. This team has had great success on word of mouth and social media, but eventually to get bigger you gotta get beyond that... even if people don't buy Cruz Azul tickets, they at least have heard of this Toronto FC thing. I don't go to Jays games but I see Jays ads on TV and see the ads around town.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the part that's a bit harder for TFC (or at least unique to TFC in this town)
    is the concept of games outside of league play that actually mean something.

Soccer types understand Champions League, but most people do not.
    They probably understand the idea of 'exhibition matches (aka friendlies)'
    but not that a game outside the league we're part of can be important.

There's no comparable inter-league play with Baseball-Hockey-Basketball-NFL,
    and that's what makes it a tough sell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, the population en masse has no idea what's going on. I had to watch the Motagua away leg at Shox's in the Junction due to helping some friends in the neighbourhood. I spend about 2/3rds of the game having to explain to everyone in the bar

a) Why we were playing Hondurans
    b) Why it mattered if we win
    c) How exactly 2-leg scoring worked

And c) was no easy feat for a bunch of dunk baseball fans.

I don't think it's necessarily a tough sell - when we make it deep, or at least into the knockout stages, the general population will get behind the team like it did in Montreal.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio View Post
    I don't think it's necessarily a tough sell - when we make it deep, or at least into the knockout stages, the general population will get behind the team like it did in Montreal.

keep in mind, when Montreal hosted like 40,000+ people for their one big match, there was a deal between Saputo and Olympic Stadium (not like TFC and Rogers) AND many of those tickets were freebies. I understand they just wanted to get a huge crowd, and that's awesome, but can we see MLSE renting (and paying) for the skydome and them selling $12 tickets? Highly unlikely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those concacaf for dummies spots are pretty bush league, I can't believe they are using that to represent TFC. Jimmy B sounds like he's stammering through the script on those things.
    We need Rocky IV type hype montages going!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

any idea how many tickets have been sold for the first game?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw advertisments on the screens in the subway when coming back home on the subway last night.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it makes perfect sense to push it.

you get the curious people into the stadium,
    you get the Mexican, Panamanian and Real SaltLakians interested
    you play up that the team is actually doing okay (MLSE doesn't have much else)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advertising works. Glad to see TFC getting some respect as entity under MLSE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only negative part about all this promotion is that the average person who wants to watch these game because they heard/saw ads for it probably doesn't have Gol TV and won't be able to casually watch it on TV. That may turn them off of it a bit...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

keep in mind, when Montreal hosted like 40,000+ people for their one big match, there was a deal between Saputo and Olympic Stadium (not like TFC and Rogers) AND many of those tickets were freebies. I understand they just wanted to get a huge crowd, and that's awesome, but can we see MLSE renting (and paying) for the skydome and them selling $12 tickets? Highly unlikely.
    Over 55,000 ... and while many were freebies, many if not most were paid tickets.

It's a very different situation; the Olympic Stadium is government owned, and underused; the government is looking for reasons to rent it out, and the rental of the Olympic Stadium is a fraction of what Rogers would charge for the Skydome. I think I recall hearing it was only $100,000 to rent at the time.

Also Montreal had 4 months to hype this game and sell tickets, with very little going on sports-wise at the time in the city, other than sold-out Canadiens games. For many people the opportunity to be inside Olympic Stadium in the middle of winter was itself a unique event that helped ticket sales - there's this sentimental thing Montrealers seem to have about that stadium. And while the place is pretty dire with only 20,000 or 30,000 in, there's this great atmosphere that finally sets in with 50,000 in the place. It was a magical place to watch the Expos and Manic when the place was sold-out ... a quarter-century ago. I was almost tempted to jump in the car and drive down ... particularly when I found out how many of my relatives had bought tickets ... relatives who I don't think have paid for soccer tickets in over a quarter-century.

And while the cheap tickets were only $10 (plus fees and taxes); there were 4 other price ranges from $20 to $50; watching on TV the other price ranges seemed to be sold out; it was only in the 400s at the one side. I'd think the food and alcohol sales from 55,000 people would more than pay for the ticket give-aways.

Could it happen here? Good question ... if we have to play a February 22nd game, it might force them to look at options. And if they could cut a good deal with Rogers, perhaps it might also pay TFC in the long run to pack the house. Though Toronto is probably a much harder city to even market to than Montreal ... the Quebec media likely did much of the marketing for free ... and has a much higher penetration than the Toronto media.

The Impact seem to have won from the deal; it has likely permanently increased their season ticket sales, and may even have been the factor that convinced MLS to put a franchise in Montreal.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ great post.

and worth noting that the tickets were from $20 to $50. Want to guess what it would cost to see TFC at the dome?

There were rumours floating around back then that up to 10,000 tickets were giveaways and promotion through Saputo (the company). Still it got bums in the seats, and like you said, did a great deal of good for the Impact's brand. Hosting the Trophe Des Champion (France's 3rd top prize) was also a BIG deal for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think for TFC to get sky Dome full (53,000)for a Concacaf Champions League quarter final they would have to have the whole upper deck on sale for like $10. Middle deck $15-$20 and lower bowl $25-$40. If they are to have prices like BMO field then i think youd have alot of empty seats.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

any way you slice it, it's good to see that MLSE is finally pushing the team. we've been doing well getting asses in seats based off of word of mouth alone as has been mentioned but it's interesting seeing them try to explain CCL to north american fans.

personally, i think they're going about it wrong and need to build up the hype instead of the explanation. most north americans care about "playoffs" rather than tournaments, so they could've done fine with just the first page.

fuck they made the voyagers cup look important in that photo though eh?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

agreed, great post nfitz.
    while not government owned, i can't imagine the rogers would be in a much better position to negotiate with skydome. if you can pack it 50,000 full, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone at rogers thinking about not budging on rental costs. BMO would obviously go ballistic in their marketing of the game, and you'd be able to give the skydome attendance it hasn't seen in years.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see the billboards now....

Toronto FC - Come hang with our Sunshine Boys

FIXED
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Banned
    When will people learn that passion doesnt make you good at football
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advertising is good. Its probably happening to sell tickets but it will also creates awareness, which we now need as the glean of the first few seasons has worn off. If only Ccl for rookies wasnt presented as ccl for retards we'd be doing a good job of educating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i've tried to explain to ppl what these games about.. normally there is zero response, or they think..... so its a friendly? OR worse... "honduras has a team in MLS?"

u can see from the lack of success in the US, cup competitions don't fit into the NA thought process when it comes to pro sports, unless its a playoff tourney at the end. ive started explaining that it is like a WC style tourney of clubs all over NA.. that seems to work best.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm really glad to see TFC promoting the CCL like this. And I'm sure it doesn't mean a lot to most people on here who are familiar with the rules for qualification and whatnot, but instead of trying to fill them in on how TFC makes it into the CCL, I just show them the Jimmy B slips that talk about it and it all seems to make sense to them.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.