Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question JDG, Cann, Pozniak, Dwayne's old club team - hard as F&%K

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1666203/

Parents and soccer officials in the Greater Toronto Area are up in arms after an incident at an under-13 game last month in which a parent allegedly threatened an assistant referee with a gun.
    The York Region Soccer Association has refused to assign officials to games involving North Scarborough Soccer Club’s under-13 team, better known as the Bulldogs, since July 12. On that day, a parent of a Bulldogs player approached an assistant referee after a controversial decision during a 1-0 loss to the Aurora Stingers and allegedly revealed a weapon tucked into his belt. Police were called by an Aurora parent, but no charges were laid. Neither the official nor the parent has been identified.
    Four teams – the Woodbridge Strikers, Vaughan Azzurri, Kleinburg Nobleton Reds and most recently the Leaside Tigers, who were due to play the Bulldogs Monday night – have all since refused to play North Scarborough.
    “There was the threat that there was a weapon,” said Kent Green, secretary of the YRSA. “Whether a weapon was seen or not seen is not really the point. This is youth soccer and the district’s position, quite frankly, is that we’re not prepared to put our referees in jeopardy.”
    Aurora head coach Brian Cooper was reluctant to divulge details.
    “We had quite the incident,” he said. “However, I don’t know if I want to see it all over the newspapers. If that’s in, people are going to go, ‘Wow,’ and that’s not really good for soccer, is it? I’m not saying we want to shove it under the carpet either.”
    The North Scarborough Soccer Club – which has helped produce players such as Toronto FC midfielder and Canadian international Julian de Guzman – is denying any such incident took place.
    “It’s just propaganda, nothing like that happened,” said club president Byron McCormack. “No, absolutely not. It’s not a very responsible statement and I don’t know who’s making those statements.”
    However, Mr. McCormack had no explanation for other teams’ unwillingness to play games against the Bulldogs.
    “I don’t even know why those games were postponed. I’m still trying to get an answer from the league,” he said. “They haven’t been able to tell me the reason why. I have no idea why they’ve done that and I intend to find out.”
    However, parents of the Leaside Tigers under-13 side, which was due to play host to North Scarborough at Flemingdon Park Monday night, are in no doubt as to the reason why they have decided not to play the game.
    “We’re refusing to play them because of security purposes,” said the parent of one of the Leaside players, asking that his name be withheld. “Even [Leaside Tigers executive director] John Morgan has said, ‘I’ll hire a police officer or two,’ and I said, ‘Why should we have a cop at a soccer game for 13-year-olds? That’s just stupid.”
    The Central Soccer League, in which all the teams compete, held a disciplinary meeting for North Scarborough last Thursday, but refused to comment on the outcome either by phone or by e-mail. A call to the Ontario Soccer Association, which governs the sport in the province, was not returned.
    The Leaside parents are concerned that little has been done in the intervening month to resolve the issue.
    “Nobody seems to want to talk,” said the same parent. “We’ve tried talking to the CSL and the OSA and we basically know more than we’re supposed to know and they’re trying to keep it hush-hush.
    “You know, I kept my son out of hockey because I thought hockey was bad, but when you start bringing a gun to a soccer game for 13-year-olds, then you’ve got issues. It’s got to be dealt with, and the CSL doesn’t seem to want to deal with these things.”
    Another Leaside parent believes it’s largely due to a lack of respect toward officials.
    “They are out of control some of these people, and nobody’s helping the referee or linesmen at all,” said James Gardner. “They’re not big games – there’s 30 parents maybe at a good game, which is not a lot of people, but still, they do act up.”
    The incident again raises the issue of abuse against officials in children’s sports, a matter that Hockey Canada has had to deal with in the past. However, firearms-related offences are almost unheard of at this level of sports.
    “It’s incredibly isolated,” said Mr. Green, the YSRA secretary. “We don’t run into a lot of alleged gunplay at soccer games generally. We’ve certainly dealt with a reasonable number of alleged referee assaults, whether they be verbal assault or pushing/shoving/the odd punch in the face or whatever the case may be, that has happened, and we deal with it accordingly under the jurisdiction of wherever the discipline needs to be heard.
    “In my [20] years of being involved in this [sport], this is the first I’ve heard of this.”
    Incidents such as these, however, can leave an almost indelible mark, especially on the players themselves.
    “My son doesn’t want to play. [His friends] don’t want to play,” said the anonymous Leaside parent. “They’re worried. I’d be worried that if I scored the winning goal in the last minute they’d come after me or something.”
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brutal...

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Love how it's so matter of fact.

"We’ve certainly dealt with a reasonable number of alleged referee assaults, whether they be verbal assault or pushing/shoving/the odd punch in the face or whatever the case may be..."

Then people wonder why officiating sucks. Who wants to be an official and have to deal with crap like this? It's common in all youth sports. Some parents take things WAY TOO seriously.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was a Registered OSA referee for kids (Rep) and the parents are absolutely brutal. I took a lot of crap off people who acted like their kid was the next Kaka.......The parents are the reason I quit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's why I quit refereeing. It was one thing having parents or coaches harassing you on the field, but to have a parent threaten to 'find me in the parking lot', was enough to make me quit. Mind you, I didn't have a car back then so he had little chance of finding me there, but the general premise of being treated like shit and making about $15-20 a game is certainly not enticing to say the least.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Soccer organization is going to talk with some random parent calling them up asking them about this. The league and associations will deal with the clubs involved directly.

This is especially the case if the police are involved. If I remember correctly, they just suspend the individual until the legal process has been completed. Problem is this is a parent who isn't registered. They will just come down on the club. HARD

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    Love how it's so matter of fact.

"We’ve certainly dealt with a reasonable number of alleged referee assaults, whether they be verbal assault or pushing/shoving/the odd punch in the face or whatever the case may be..."

Then people wonder why officiating sucks. Who wants to be an official and have to deal with crap like this? It's common in all youth sports. Some parents take things WAY TOO seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblio2 View Post
    I was a Registered OSA referee for kids (Rep) and the parents are absolutely brutal. I took a lot of crap off people who acted like their kid was the next Kaka.......The parents are the reason I quit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaughno View Post
    It's why I quit refereeing. It was one thing having parents or coaches harassing you on the field, but to have a parent threaten to 'find me in the parking lot', was enough to make me quit. Mind you, I didn't have a car back then so he had little chance of finding me there, but the general premise of being treated like shit and making about $15-20 a game is certainly not enticing to say the least.
    Referee assaults are common place in some places in the province unfortunately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sad thing is... it doesn't even have to be at that high of a competitive level either for this shit to happen.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That's why I don't gripe about officiating as much. The shit most refs have to deal with to even get to the top is nuts.

It's a shame too because every sport needs people who understand the game to get into the officiating side of things but you have to work your way from the bottom most of the times and it's always parents who fuck things up. Like oblio says some parents treat their kid as an investment and they want a ROI on them.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

For too many parents, they have lost sight of what youth sports is all about. Too many of them view their kid as a future winning lottery ticket. That's why you get all this crap nowadays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So true. I was ref'ing U-8 boys, rec NOT rep, when I had a MOM tell me that I was treating her son like shit on the field. This was at half time, so I asked her politely what exactly I had done wrong with her son. She said I called offside on him twice (I hadn't called offside once in that game... LOL they're like bumblebees at that age still) and that she felt I was picking on him. I assured her I wasn't and that I would keep a careful eye on him for her. 5 minutes into the half, I call a foul on his team and she starts losing it again LOL her kid wasn't even on the pitch! LOL Like wtf, get a grip woman.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have always wanted to get into reffing, but the crap that you hear about parrents acting crazy, has put me off of it. And if you are only making $20 a game, its not even worth the hassle of having to calm down parrents, and potentially getting the crap kicked out of you by some retarded soccer mom.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can some body please comment on a kid’s football in Europe please?

In my opinion the entire setup of youth sports in North America is to blame for this culture of “taking to serious”. Kids play, train, travel too much and parent have to spend too much time and money participating.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought thsi was a joke at first ./ . . turns out. . nope./
    JDG sent this to his bro this morning. its their old club team and has apparently no one invlovedis surprised atthis as this team is known for off pitch trouble.

I hope this is not a sign of the state of things in Canada. . . lord help us if it is.
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So true. I was ref'ing U-8 boys, rec NOT rep, when I had a MOM tell me that I was treating her son like shit on the field. This was at half time, so I asked her politely what exactly I had done wrong with her son. She said I called offside on him twice (I hadn't called offside once in that game... LOL they're like bumblebees at that age still) and that she felt I was picking on him. I assured her I wasn't and that I would keep a careful eye on him for her. 5 minutes into the half, I call a foul on his team and she starts losing it again LOL her kid wasn't even on the pitch! LOL Like wtf, get a grip woman.
    so you didn't pick up any MILFs at these games?!?!? i would have thought it'd be prime territory!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavydMT View Post

In my opinion the entire setup of youth sports in North America is to blame for this culture of “taking to serious”. Kids play, train, travel too much and parent have to spend too much time and money participating.
    Its just as bad back home......(UK)
    Playing in a kids league when I was 15, I saw a parent beratting their kid all game then march on the field and headbutt the Ref.....

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not surprised at all.Parents should drop the kids for practice or game and go home or shopping,unfortunately parents are biggest obstacles for soccer development in Canada.
    Guys go to this site and read comments from parents of kids born'98.There are 173 pages of parents and even coaches trolling on each other.

http://offthepitch.ca/phpBB3/viewtop...607&start=2580

have fun,it's simply f*#@ed up what some parents think they can do.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavydMT View Post

In Europe it's all academys. There is no registration fees or anything like that. If your kid is good enough he will get enrolled in a clubs academy system. Outside of academys it's mostly pick up games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its just as bad back home......(UK)
    Playing in a kids league when I was 15, I saw a parent beratting their kid all game then march on the field and headbutt the Ref.....
    Apparently I was wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once, when I was reffing a hockey game, I had a huge crowd of parents waiting for me outside the Ref Room.

Of course, what had happened before that game is the Assessor/Assignor told me to call every single thing that happened...literally every single thing. The previous game these two teams played in the refs were harassed at the end of the game because they felt that the refs had been too lenient (in reality they called about an average amount for the league). Parents were concerned someone would get hurt.

So I called every penalty. Stick comes up and hooks (even a little one) boom. Hooking. Hands partially up in a bodycheck? Roughing. We didn't get halfway through the 2nd (ran out of icetime), and I filled up two gamesheets.

But thankfully, nobody got hurt. The angry mob told me I ruined the game, my response was that "Nobody got hurt," and I walked by into the ref room which I proceeded to lock after my linesmen got in.

It's the most I ever called in any game I refereed, and even I felt what I was asked to do was ridiculous, but I did the job I was asked to do. It's about protecting your fellow official as well as the players on the ice.

Parents want it all ways in sports. They want the game to be free flowing, and they want it to be safe. They want it called in their favour as well. You're set up to lose as an official every game. Ultimately parents refuse to realize that and you're punished with verbal (and sometimes physical) abuse in games.

I quit reffing a long time ago, not because of the anger directed at me (actually it sort of gave me an adrenaline rush) but because I felt that the path to a higher level in the province I was living in at the time was non-existent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel really sorry for any kids that have parents like this. If they treat the refs this way then I have a feeling they aren't exactly model parents either.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't generalize the sort of thing (guns at games) to all of Canada. After all, it is Scarborough, we're talking about.

That being said, there must be no job less rewarding than being a referee for kids sports these days.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was a Certified Level 3 OMHA Official (hockey) and had some doozies...

In Oshawa myself and Sean (the ref in the 3-man system) had a coffee dumped on us from over the glass at Children's Area...

That same arena we had a parent jump on the ice and go after the ref - me and the other linesmen had fun breaking that up...

In Pickering I had a parent lunge at me on my way to the refs room...

During a game when I was the ref, one of my linesmen had gum thrown in his face by an assistant coach...

Those are just the memorable physical things - the verbal insults, directed at young refs (that we would watch & evaluate) was simply disgusting...

99% of the refs can take insults from players (as most have played the sport they're officiating so we understand, plus they're younger) but when young officials here it from parents, it really does stick & hurt b/c its coming from people you look up to...

One night at Don Beer Arena in Pickering I heard (and watched) a grown man yell this, at a 13 year old ref doing Novice hockey (6 yrs old players) "...ref, you're completely worthless you little piece of shit... just give up on life..." In this case someone got in trouble - that being me, as I went and gave the guy a first class piece of my mind, and the league thought my conduct wasn't becoming of an official (I was supervising the officials that night)... The parent sat and smiled while I was asked by PHA Officials to leave - how bad is that!

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Children's Arena. Holy fuck that was a cold rink. Good thing I haven't been back there in about 5-6 years.

Never reffed but have been to thousands of games in the last decade I've heard/seen it all, except the threat of weapons being shown. Have seen a few brawls amongst parents though.

I hear it's worse at the younger levels though. It's almost a chance of making it is more a battle of attrition.
    Last edited by Whoop; 08-09-2010 at 12:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    Children's Arena. Holy fuck that was a cold rink. Good thing I haven't been back there in about 5-6 years.
    Ya, she was an ice box...

Worst was the way the fans basically stood & leaned on top of the glass - opening us up to some great abuse LOL...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

As someone who played throughout Scarborough growing up, it's not surprised at all.
    I've never been involved in an incident where a gun was involved, but Ref abuse is rampant in Scarborough.

I've seen Refs have to run to their car after a game cos half the team was chasing him. And this is from guys who are 21 years and older - some in their 30's!

Scarborough was and seems to still be the wild west of football. Lots of dirty soccer out there. And parents are just as fucked!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stouffville_RPB View Post
    In Europe it's all academys. There is no registration fees or anything like that. If your kid is good enough he will get enrolled in a clubs academy system. Outside of academys it's mostly pick up games.
    Not in England it's not. My cousins are in organized leagues, much like here. The ones that are good enough get noticed by the clubs and picked up for their academy.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was doing a U13 Girls tournament a few weeks ago here in Kingston, and almost sent off a coach for mouthing.

Both coaches also got told at halftime that if the parents kept insulting the officials (a 16 year old and a 15 year old) on the sidelines, the game would be called and both teams would be reported.

A U13 Girls game. Men I can see the odd one here and there making money in the future. Girls? Not so much.

Overall in my officiating this year, I've had to ask 4 spectators to leave the field area, and two coaches. This is men's soccer. These guys _definitely_ aren't going anywhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as a kid, i remember someone kicking the ump in the nuts after a full out brawl.

The coach of the other team tried to fight a 12 yr old kid on my team

we had cops watch the next few games.

Kidsa arent any different from any generation......is the parents that are retarded.

Did I mention my wife (a teacher) had a desk shoved at her because she didnt give straight As to this Womans daughter.
    Last edited by C.Ronaldo; 08-09-2010 at 12:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure you did deserve a good kick in the ass...