Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah but more often than not you'll get college football or basketball during that Wed-Thu timeslot and unless it's something like Bumfuck State vs. Assrape College there's no way MLS would win the ratings battle.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One has to admit that the majority are looking at our sport as an option amongst other NA sports instead of the religious aspects it takes on elsewhere. So my point is if MLS has grown this much in 5yrs with such a small amount of religious(or dedicated if that offends) support, how long before more places tap into the money making atmosphere that supporters bring to the stadia across the league?

I think this league should be measured by it's growth so far rather than how far before it supplants other leages home or abroad.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSamurai View Post
    Actually I don't think MLS would have to really make all that many changes in respects to FIFA dates.
    Say a FIFA date falls from Fri-Sun. On that week push the league games to say Wed-Thurs.
    Yes you'll have 4-5 times/season where you have 2 games/week but it's not a deal breaker. Problem is a LOT of teams aren't the main tenants in their stadiums, which is why SSS are crucial.
    The GC might be a big tougher, but it really only lasts 2-3 weeks tops I think.
    Take a week and half long break during the group stage and quarter finals. Then simply change the TV schedule so you don't have overlapping games.
    Since SUM runs the GC it's doable.

Yes, their is still the issue of training camps, but I think its reasonable for a player to fly back and forth if it's a quick 2-3hr flight. Not like it's a permanent thing.
    He's talking about having the league operate during the fall and winter, which would be suicide.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    One has to admit that the majority are looking at our sport as an option amongst other NA sports instead of the religious aspects it takes on elsewhere. So my point is if MLS has grown this much in 5yrs with such a small amount of religious(or dedicated if that offends) support, how long before more places tap into the money making atmosphere that supporters bring to the stadia across the league?

I think this league should be measured by it's growth so far rather than how far before it supplants other leages home or abroad.
    Yeah, the league will continue to grow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Macksam View Post
    He's talking about having the league operate during the fall and winter, which would be suicide.
    That I agree with.
    Which is why I'm saying having 3-4 weeks during the season where teams have 2 games/week might be a solution. Or simply move weekend games that fall on FIFA dates to a Wed/Thurs.

I thought everyone here loved night games?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That I agree with.
    Which is why I'm saying having 3-4 weeks during the season where teams have 2 games/week might be a solution. Or simply move weekend games that fall on FIFA dates to a Wed/Thurs.

I thought everyone here loved night games?
    I have no problem with that or following FIFA dates. In fact, MLS should take two weeks off during the GC like they did the WC. It would make the tournament seem much more prestigous and important if we halt the league during that time. Having MLS operate during the GC is just terrible. If we halt the league, people would take more notice and see that it's a big deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in Chicago right now. I got on the topic of soccer at a family party. I'm almost laughed out of the room. We're in a soccer friendly bubble on the boards. We can't understand why people don't get into it more?

Some people are passionate about golf (myself included). Most view it is a casual game for "old establishment". How do you convince the masses to follow golf more passionately? The answer as in soccer is... you don't.

Its a slow and gradual shift in a nation's view of a sport. For us to beat the Mexican league or any top Euro leagues will need a massive shift in passions of a nation. I think it will happen in Canada before it happens in the States. I think it needs about 20 more years.

We were calling for soccer to begin to weave its way into the fabric of the American sports scene. This was supposed to happen in 1994, when the U.S. got hte world cup. 16 years later, and some MLS games are getting less than 8K to games.

Having said all this, I do think MLS will one day rival the Mexican league or top Euro leagues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorCanSoc View Post
    I'm in Chicago right now. I got on the topic of soccer at a family party. I'm almost laughed out of the room. We're in a soccer friendly bubble on the boards. We can't understand why people don't get into it more?

Some people are passionate about golf (myself included). Most view it is a casual game for "old establishment". How do you convince the masses to follow golf more passionately? The answer as in soccer is... you don't.

Its a slow and gradual shift in a nation's view of a sport. For us to beat the Mexican league or any top Euro leagues will need a massive shift in passions of a nation. I think it will happen in Canada before it happens in the States. I think it needs about 20 more years.

We were calling for soccer to begin to weave its way into the fabric of the American sports scene. This was supposed to happen in 1994, when the U.S. got hte world cup. 16 years later, and some MLS games are getting less than 8K to games.

Having said all this, I do think MLS will one day rival the Mexican league or top Euro leagues.
    I agree with that.
    I think this is 1 case where Canadian multiculturalism is actually better than the US melting pot/assimilation.
    Whether that helps the CMNT and the "Big 3" is up in the air.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS has grown quite a bit in 6 years but it will take a lot before it can take over the Mexican League or any Euro league Right now I say MLS is on par with leagues in countries like Belguim, Sweden, Japan, and Australia not bad for a league that is only 15 years old. MLS Greatest hope is the League to really catch on here in Canada were i believe our big three will outdraw any of the American teams. and at the same time hopefully Mr Garber will move franchises that are drwing crap Like Columbus, Dallas, and put them in cities that will really appreciate them. Hell San Juan Puerto Rico might be a option or SAN Antonio Terxas.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS has nowhere else to go but up in terms of overall popularity. And let's face it, as big as the sport is in Mexico, the US has much more money and a larger potential fanbase. It's really just a matter of economics and current socials trends when you think about it, as immigration to the US steadily continues and people can't help but bring their passion for the game with them to their new home.

In so many ways, soccer will only naturally continue to gain in popularity and as long as MLS positions itself to take advantage of all these factors, it SHOULD overtake Premera Division in terms of overall quality and strength.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with that.
    I think this is 1 case where Canadian multiculturalism is actually better than the US melting pot/assimilation.
    Whether that helps the CMNT and the "Big 3" is up in the air.
    Canada/Mexico on Sportsnet vastly outdrew the Leafs game the same evening. So yes it does help the CMNT.