View Poll Results: What holds more significance for you?

Voters
196. You may not vote on this poll
  • Success in the MLS Playoffs

54 27.55%
  • Success in the CONCACAF Champion's League

142 72.45%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default CONCACAF Champions League/MLS Playoffs...

Several supporters have commented on the significance of TFC competing in the CCL compared to MLS playoffs and I think this is an intriguing dilemna that Preki now faces with an unprecedented congested schedule on the horizon.

Ideally, we all hope for success in both league play and the CCL tournament. However, it is highly unlikely to achieve results in both areas given the demanding schedule and lack of depth on most MLS rosters, including TFC. Preki simply cannot dress our best starting 11 every match from this point forward.

Therefore, in your opinion, should Preki put more emphasis on the CCL group stage or should making the MLS playoffs remain his top priority?

As I've stated previously, I believe our top priority should be success in the CONCACAF Champion's League, despite the fact that the MLS Cup is in Toronto this year...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to win the MLS Cup, but I think winning Champions League would be a bigger feat. It would be an amazing day if we could beat Cruz Azul in Mexico.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my opinion CL....raising the international status of the club will in future put us on the radar for more high profile acquisitions...but only my opinion....and the fact that there is more prestige winning the CL than the MLS Cup...but again my opinion.
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Banned
    When will people learn that passion doesnt make you good at football
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS is bush league. Champions league has a huge upside and the chance to become regionally recognized. But Preki will focus on MLS and we'll probably end up doing badly in both

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ageroo View Post
    In my opinion CL....raising the international status of the club will in future put us on the radar for more high profile acquisitions...but only my opinion....and the fact that there is more prestige winning the CL than the MLS Cup...but again my opinion.
    yes...i totally agree with you on that,now if we could only get a gm with some international connections that would also help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This year... I would love to win the MLS cup obviously because its at BMO.

If you ask me this any other year its CL no doubt.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We aren't going to get all the high profile players from the States.....that is a simple fact. Winning the MLS Cup just raises our status in the states.....and it really does not translate into us getting any top-notch Americans....however....moving along the CL route.....more internationakl audience...more players taking notice of our club....that translates to something in my opinion.
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The CCL is much more important. However, there are three key reasons why Preki will focus on the MLS and at least hitting the playoffs:

1. The final is being played in Toronto - having a nice run into the playoffs will make us less of a laughing stock when we're not in the final. And if we do make it all the way, the bonanza is huge as the game is on our turf. We could actually win the cup.

2. Mo's gone if we don't hit the playoffs, and Mo signs Preki's cheque - Mo may have been down in Honduras for the match yesterday, but don't get it twisted: he wants those playoffs more than anything.

3. The casuals don't give a shit - yes, it's a tired argument, but it's true. Look at the attendance at the home CCL games so far. See the empty seats? That's what sets the agenda. CCL games get played Tuesday nights while MLS gets the weekends. What's more, there are tons more people at MLS games. MLSE would trade in our three-game CCL group stage run for three extra playoff matches in a heartbeat.

That's why you'd expect Preki to tap the Academy (aside from the obvious depth concerns we have) when Cruz Azul comes to BMO to steamroll right over us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mastermixer View Post
    This year... I would love to win the MLS cup obviously because its at BMO.

If you ask me this any other year its CL no doubt.
    i totally agree with you. being in the mls cup this year would be awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    The CCL is much more important. However, there are three key reasons why Preki will focus on the MLS and at least hitting the playoffs:

1. The final is being played in Toronto - having a nice run into the playoffs will make us less of a laughing stock when we're not in the final. And if we do make it all the way, the bonanza is huge as the game is on our turf. We could actually win the cup.

2. Mo's gone if we don't hit the playoffs, and Mo signs Preki's cheque - Mo may have been down in Honduras for the match yesterday, but don't get it twisted: he wants those playoffs more than anything.

3. The casuals don't give a shit - yes, it's a tired argument, but it's true. Look at the attendance at the home CCL games so far. See the empty seats? That's what sets the agenda. CCL games get played Tuesday nights while MLS gets the weekends. What's more, there are tons more people at MLS games. MLSE would trade in our three-game CCL group stage run for three extra playoff matches in a heartbeat.

That's why you'd expect Preki to tap the Academy (aside from the obvious depth concerns we have) when Cruz Azul comes to BMO to steamroll right over us.
    Don't hold your breath on this one... if we win a couple of CL games and don't make the playoffs we will get a big song and dance from MLSE and MoJo about the tough schedule and the success in getting to the CL group stage. Just a hunch.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For Mo and Preki to keep their jobs, TFC has to:

(1) defend the Voyageurs Cup (accomplished)

(2) get into the group stages of the CCL (accomplished)

(3) make the playoffs (not yet done)

There is little chance TFC will win the CCL, and there is no benefit (apart from pride) to Mo or Preki if TFC goes further, so the obvious emphasis will be on the MLS playoffs. Anything else is bonus. That is regardless of what the hardcore fan thinks.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like that there is no option in the poll to choose both.

TFC has made it to the Champions League group stages for the first time. In my eyes whatever we achieve in that tournament from here on in is gravy on the fries.

Oldtimer is right on the money. MLSE wants all three of the Voyageurs Cup, the CCL group stages and the MLS playoffs. To me, and to the MLSe brain trust i think they both hold equal significance.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need to see real progress on the league front. To me, the Champions League is great and I want to do well, but the league is more important. It's higher profile (not like in Europe where the CL has a higher profile) and is a better reflection of whether the team has progressed or not.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CL is extra $$$ for MLSE,all that $$$ stays in house.
    MLSE doesn't have to split profit with MLS like US clubs,so for MLSE going deep into CL is probably more important than MLS playoffs.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed 100% with bgnewf and Oldtimer.

The goal going into the season (in my opinion) was make playoffs and make it to the CCL Group stage.

Realistically I think we have a better shot of going further in the MLS playoffs than the CCL, and for that reason I still say making the playoffs should be a top priority.

That said, if TFC clearly starts falling out of a play off picture, than play the Academy A team for all leauge games, and save the true starting 11 for the CCL games. As of right now though we are in a solid picture to make the playoffs, especially if the win lastnight ignites the boys to get on a streak.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good arguments supporting both sides of this debate. For me, all I know is that I "feel" it a whole lot more when we do well in the CCL. When we win a league game it puts a smile on my face. When we win in the champions league (or the games leading up to it) I'm ecstatic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bgnewf View Post

TFC has made it to the Champions League group stages for the first time. In my eyes whatever we achieve in that tournament from here on in is gravy on the fries.

Oldtimer is right on the money. MLSE wants all three of the Voyageurs Cup, the CCL group stages and the MLS playoffs. To me, and to the MLSe brain trust i think they both hold equal significance.
    The reason I didn't list both options is because it is simply unrealistic to expect our best starting lineup to be deployed for all of our remaining matches. Therefore, the emphasis will inevitably have to be slightly more focused on the CCL or MLS playoffs throughout the duration of the schedule. Regardless of the fact that MLSE and the supporters want TFC to be successful in both areas, Preki still has to somehow manage the roster effectively based on the level of competition and relative importance of each match...
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 08-04-2010 at 06:07 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, with the Cup match being in TO this year, I would hope we at least make a push for being one of the teams playing - that would be badass to be in the final at home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bgnewf View Post

Agreed with both of you - which is why I say go for the MLS Cup. It's in Toronto FFS! I think winning the domestic league comes before winning a continental cup trophy...

We actually have a shot at winning the MLS Cup too...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Mo has already "won" his ability to sell MLSE on the bottom line.

Securing 3 CCL gates is massive.

Think about it. The MLS playoffs are as follows:
    Quarters: 2 legged tie
    Semi's: 1 game @ team that is higher seed
    Final: neutral site

Basically our realistic maxing out in the playoffs is 1 more home gate. Yes that gate is bigger than a CCL gate, but it's not an order of magnitude bigger.

Plus there is that carrot of playing in Skydome if we get out of the group stage in CCL.

The expected value in terms of monetary reward is much higher in the CCL.

From a personal standpoint I'd prefer chasing CCL success. I'd like to see us copy Seattle and start getting early to mid 20 somethings from Central and South America as our "star" players since we're not going to be able to attract the same players that LA & NY will.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post

There is little chance TFC will win the CCL, and there is no benefit (apart from pride) to Mo or Preki if TFC goes further, so the obvious emphasis will be on the MLS playoffs. Anything else is bonus. That is regardless of what the hardcore fan thinks.
    There is no benefit to playing in front of 50,000 ppl potentially at Skydome in the quarters? Seriously?

You do realize we realistically can only get 1 home playoff game in the MLS playoffs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I need to see real progress on the league front. To me, the Champions League is great and I want to do well, but the league is more important. It's higher profile (not like in Europe where the CL has a higher profile) and is a better reflection of whether the team has progressed or not.
    I agree with what Roogsy wrote here.

I just might have to start reading his posts again...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

interesting discussion. There is something giddy and exciting about the international club fixtures - and having that "foreign club invade our turf". so the CCl is more significant to me.

That said, i think my choice is also influenced by how frustrated i am with regular season ties and losses to teams we could or should beat. So right now the league/playoff picture for me is a big pain in the ass!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's start with the MLS, move on up from there. Step at a time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The MLS cup final at BMO, if we were to make it there would be EPIC

Going far in the CCL is what I'd like to see.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn your sobering and logical thinking.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blowing Bubbles View Post
    There is no benefit to playing in front of 50,000 ppl potentially at Skydome in the quarters? Seriously?

You do realize we realistically can only get 1 home playoff game in the MLS playoffs?
    I wouldn't be so sure that a quarter-final match would be contested at SkyDome. Toronto isn't Montreal when it comes to winters, and with the new grass put in, I could see them keeping it at BMO. 20,000 at the stadium you lease is cheaper than a questionable attendance figure in the height of Leafs season for whatever SkyDome charges
    |
    x______________________________________________

Twitter: toast84

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hence ...^this is why I believe Preki started Henry and Nane last night.....He's still not ready to go all out for CL.....Still I'm not sure we could win both anyway with our too small roster, as per MLS rules....god help us with any injuries.....the scheduling is tough
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    Hence ...^this is why I believe Preki started Henry and Nane last night.....He's still not ready to go all out for CL.....Still I'm not sure we could win both anyway with our too small roster, as per MLS rules....god help us with any injuries.....the scheduling is tough
    Nana played well in the first leg or at least the second half of the first leg. He earned his start.

Preki has to juggle. I'll defend him on his logic. He can't go all out for the CCL without sacrificing MLS play-offs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would rather see TFC do well in the CCL but I think doing well in the MLS playoffs is more important to the club. Like a number of others have pointed out, I believe that a lot of people still don't get what the CCL is all about. TFC having a good run in the CCL could help educate them but for most folks, pre-season, season and post-season is what they understand.

Just as an aside, I thought yesterday's match was one of the more enjoyable TFC matches I've watched in terms of the overall quality of play on display.