RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Canadian players fall in love with Montreal pitch

This is too much!
    MONTREAL -- The Canadian national men's soccer team wants to make Montreal's Saputo Stadium home for all future FIFA World Cup qualifying matches, but the players aren't sure if those calling the shots are listening to them.
    "Everyone has agreed this is the best pitch there is in Canada, but the CSA (Canadian Soccer Association) and whoever works for the CSA want us to play in (Toronto's) BMO Field and Edmonton as well," midfielder Julian de Guzman said Thursday. "Stuff like that will affect us immensely going toward the World Cup. We feel very comfortable right here."
    Canada takes to the lush grass surface for its first game ever at Saputo Stadium tonight when it faces St. Vincent & the Grenadines in the return leg of a two-game, total-goals series in CONCACAF qualifying for the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa.
    Canada has a virtual lock on the series after a 3-0 victory in the first leg played in St. Vincent last Sunday. A win tonight and Canada moves to Stage 3 of qualifying - a round-robin tournament against Jamaica and Honduras plus the winner of the two-game series between Mexico and Belize, beginning in August.
    Saputo Stadium, a $15-million, 13,000-plus seat soccer-specific facility at Olympic Park, is the new home of the Montreal Impact of the United Soccer Leagues First Division. But after only a couple of days of practice, it's become clear the senior men's team wants to call it home in an effort to make the most of its bid to qualify for the World Cup for the first time since 1986.
    BMO Field, the home to Toronto FC of Major League Soccer, has the label as Canada's national soccer stadium, home to all of the country's national teams through a deal between the City of Toronto, which owns the facility, Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd., which manages it, and the CSA, which is contractually obligated to play at least six national team-related games there every year. Those games, however, are not limited to the national senior men's squad.
    The major drawback for the players at BMO is its synthetic surface. The vast majority of the national senior men's team play on natural grass with teams in Europe.
    "The pitch is absolutely fantastic. Probably the best I've played on in Canada in my life," said team captain Paul Stalteri, a 30-year-old defender/midfielder from Etobicoke, Ont., who is playing with Fulham of the English Premier League while on loan from Totenham United.
    "It's right up there with any European pitch I've played on, so all compliments to the stadium and Mr. Joey Saputo (Impact president). He's done a fantastic job putting this stadium together with the priority of having a fantastic pitch to play on."
    De Guzman, 27, a defender/midfielder from Toronto, is in his fourth season with Deportivo de La Coruna in Spain's La Liga. He's the first Canadian to play in that country's first division and said being forced to play at BMO is one of the things hampering development of the national program.
    "Canada still takes too many steps backwards and leaves itself short," De Guzman said.
    "They haven't really done much yet," he added when asked what the CSA has done to change things. "There are guys who have opened up their time for us to hear what we need to better the program. But in the end, it comes down to whether they live up to their promises.
    "There have been a lot of empty promises made. For us, it's not just about who we have facing us on the pitch, it's also about having to play against the people we work for."
    CSA chairman Dominic Maestracci told a news conference in April that the decision to stage a qualifying game here represented "a new step in the relationship between the association and professional clubs in Canada."
    At the same time, it was made clear by national team head coach Dale Mitchell that playing on grass was his and the players' preference.
    "It's what the players are used to," Mitchell said. "Ninety per cent of the guys on the team are based in Europe and grass is what they're used to, not turf. It's an issue of them feeling more comfortable playing on what they're used to."
    Goalkeeper Greg Sutton, in his second season with Toronto FC after five years with the Impact, said players on the national team were prepared to continue to press the issue with the CSA, but wouldn't say how far they were prepared to go.
    "Playing on grass and being on the East Coast, we feel it's the best chance for us to do what we're trying to do," Sutton said. "We're making a stand to a degree and we're hoping they can understand that and that we're adamant about it.
    "Unfortunately, we can't do too much, but we can do something that maybe could cause a lot of problems if we do what we say we might do. But we are hoping the CSA will come around and help us achieve what we want to achieve in terms of qualifying.
    "If we can do that on this field, that's what we'll do."
    Montreal Gazette
    Last edited by Jack; 06-19-2008 at 09:26 PM.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Canadian players fall in love with Montreal pitch !!

Since is posted on National Post no link.Read it all here
    Canadian players fall in love with Montreal pitch

MONTREAL -- The Canadian national men's soccer team wants to make Montreal's Saputo Stadium home for all future FIFA World Cup qualifying matches, but the players aren't sure if those calling the shots are listening to them.
    "Everyone has agreed this is the best pitch there is in Canada, but the CSA (Canadian Soccer Association) and whoever works for the CSA want us to play in (Toronto's) BMO Field and Edmonton as well," midfielder Julian de Guzman said Thursday. "Stuff like that will affect us immensely going toward the World Cup. We feel very comfortable right here."
    Canada takes to the lush grass surface for its first game ever at Saputo Stadium tonight when it faces St. Vincent & the Grenadines in the return leg of a two-game, total-goals series in CONCACAF qualifying for the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa.
    Canada has a virtual lock on the series after a 3-0 victory in the first leg played in St. Vincent last Sunday. A win tonight and Canada moves to Stage 3 of qualifying - a round-robin tournament against Jamaica and Honduras plus the winner of the two-game series between Mexico and Belize, beginning in August.
    Saputo Stadium, a $15-million, 13,000-plus seat soccer-specific facility at Olympic Park, is the new home of the Montreal Impact of the United Soccer Leagues First Division. But after only a couple of days of practice, it's become clear the senior men's team wants to call it home in an effort to make the most of its bid to qualify for the World Cup for the first time since 1986.
    BMO Field, the home to Toronto FC of Major League Soccer, has the label as Canada's national soccer stadium, home to all of the country's national teams through a deal between the City of Toronto, which owns the facility, Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd., which manages it, and the CSA, which is contractually obligated to play at least six national team-related games there every year. Those games, however, are not limited to the national senior men's squad.
    The major drawback for the players at BMO is its synthetic surface. The vast majority of the national senior men's team play on natural grass with teams in Europe.
    "The pitch is absolutely fantastic. Probably the best I've played on in Canada in my life," said team captain Paul Stalteri, a 30-year-old defender/midfielder from Etobicoke, Ont., who is playing with Fulham of the English Premier League while on loan from Totenham United.
    "It's right up there with any European pitch I've played on, so all compliments to the stadium and Mr. Joey Saputo (Impact president). He's done a fantastic job putting this stadium together with the priority of having a fantastic pitch to play on."
    De Guzman, 27, a defender/midfielder from Toronto, is in his fourth season with Deportivo de La Coruna in Spain's La Liga. He's the first Canadian to play in that country's first division and said being forced to play at BMO is one of the things hampering development of the national program.
    "Canada still takes too many steps backwards and leaves itself short," De Guzman said.
    "They haven't really done much yet," he added when asked what the CSA has done to change things. "There are guys who have opened up their time for us to hear what we need to better the program. But in the end, it comes down to whether they live up to their promises.
    "There have been a lot of empty promises made. For us, it's not just about who we have facing us on the pitch, it's also about having to play against the people we work for."
    CSA chairman Dominic Maestracci told a news conference in April that the decision to stage a qualifying game here represented "a new step in the relationship between the association and professional clubs in Canada."
    At the same time, it was made clear by national team head coach Dale Mitchell that playing on grass was his and the players' preference.
    "It's what the players are used to," Mitchell said. "Ninety per cent of the guys on the team are based in Europe and grass is what they're used to, not turf. It's an issue of them feeling more comfortable playing on what they're used to."
    Goalkeeper Greg Sutton, in his second season with Toronto FC after five years with the Impact, said players on the national team were prepared to continue to press the issue with the CSA, but wouldn't say how far they were prepared to go.
    "Playing on grass and being on the East Coast, we feel it's the best chance for us to do what we're trying to do," Sutton said. "We're making a stand to a degree and we're hoping they can understand that and that we're adamant about it.
    "Unfortunately, we can't do too much, but we can do something that maybe could cause a lot of problems if we do what we say we might do. But we are hoping the CSA will come around and help us achieve what we want to achieve in terms of qualifying.
    "If we can do that on this field, that's what we'll do."
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fucking unreal - anyone know how the ticket sales in Montreal are going?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like BMO field turf is turning into a:

I am interetsed in this stories and others like it during the off season. My lawn has never looked better than right now, too!!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We can kiss goodbye WCQ games in Toronto.
    F*CK the CSA and Fu#K City Of Toronto and all those morons that where involved in making decision to go with God damn Turf.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Totenham United"???? WTF?

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I just posted this

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is posted in news forum:
    http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=2212

And no lonks to National Post,that is for

ops you reacted really fast.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canadian players whinning again...well at least not seats on a plane this time..its just grass..if thats the Canadian players attitude i hope they get dumped out of the wcq in the next stage...fuck them!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this doesn't get MLSE to change it nothing will.
    They just have to see how much $$$ they're going to lose in beer sales.
    I predict (and hope) grass for next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This sucks for the propects of watching the CMNT in Toronto, however, there will be more oppourtunities to return to Montreal to watch the CMNT.......and to return to Club Supersexxx!!!

I think if the players on the CMNT want to play in Tuktiyuktuk, then we should build them a pitch there to play on. Qualifying for the World Cup is the only thing that matters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When the best players in the country don't want to play in your national soccer stadium, you have a serious problem. What an embarrassment for the city and MLSE, what's it going to take to change?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This blows, 20,000 people in the GTA would jump at the chance to root for the CMNT live, but its not going to happen anytime soon, good luck with your qualification guys, just don't be surprised if a large part of the population doesn't know or care, thanks for snubbing the rest of Canada guys.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dunkers View Post
    This blows, 20,000 people in the GTA would jump at the chance to root for the CMNT live, but its not going to happen anytime soon, good luck with your qualification guys, just don't be surprised if a large part of the population doesn't know or care, thanks for snubbing the rest of Canada guys.

come on st vincent a 4-0 win tomorrown night please!! that will show the rats on the national team!!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gently Bentley. They're doing us a favour by being critical of the turf. They have a right to speak their piece about what surface they prefer to play on. The coach has an obligation to try to keep his players happy.

I want grass as much as the next guy. But we wouldn't have gotten Our House built without it there in the first place. Now that it's built, it's time to move the furniture around a little and do a little landscaping.

We'll get more seats soon enough and the grass will come as well. The nats want to play here big time and this is their way of sparking up the process. Good for them for speaking out. I bet they have Dale Mitchell's blessing to do so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the players are happy......and they feel better playing in montreal on a First class surface...I'd say fuck BMO field..and let them play in montreal for the entire journy!!! MAkeing the world cup is PRIORITY!!

The whole field turf was a joke from the beginning!!! Mabey they'll realize this now...and get it the fuck out of BMO!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    Gently Bentley. They're doing us a favour by being critical of the turf. They have a right to speak their piece about what surface they prefer to play on. The coach has an obligation to try to keep his players happy.

I want grass as much as the next guy. But we wouldn't have gotten Our House built without it there in the first place. Now that it's built, it's time to move the furniture around a little and do a little landscaping.

We'll get more seats soon enough and the grass will come as well. The nats want to play here big time and this is their way of sparking up the process. Good for them for speaking out. I bet they have Dale Mitchell's blessing to do so.
    the problem is the players are running the nut house once agin, they should play where they are told. you think grass is coming to BMO?
    cant see that, with the public using it in the winter. our players have got to get their act together. If Fifa ok's the field turf then it fine. Dale mitchell is a twit, the quicker he gets canned the better..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post

I agree. This is how things are going to get done. It's fantastic the players are speaking out, and we should support them. I'm not as much against the turf as some others, but I do agree that grass should be put done eventually. Hopefully this will help to expedite the process.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    I agree. This is how things are going to get done. It's fantastic the players are speaking out, and we should support them. I'm not as much against the turf as some others, but I do agree that grass should be put done eventually. Hopefully this will help to expedite the process.

but its the city of Toronto that needs to put the turf in, and whats that gonna cost? 500,000 -1,000,000 with proper drainage? i can see the city of TO going for that!!

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mighty, if you think the players should just "do what they're told" by the incompetent CSA, give your head a shake.

They're finally asking for the CSA to do something to make the team successful.

Is that a hard concept for you?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_torontofc_2008 View Post
    come on st vincent a 4-0 win tomorrown night please!! that will show the rats on the national team!!
    from CMNT fan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I support the players, I would rather see them play in Montreal if that is what they feel will make their run successful. Blame the city, clearly the ownership group in Montreal has the goods, good on them.

I won't hold my breath on grass at BMO.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Mighty, if you think the players should just "do what they're told" by the incompetent CSA, give your head a shake.

They're finally asking for the CSA to do something to make the team successful.

Is that a hard concept for you?
    but i do (did) want to the support the team in person not on the freaking tv, the players egos are running this team and thats the sad part. If BMO does get grass they should remember what the players did asking for games to be played in Montreal, and don't allow the team in BMO. hows playing on grass going to help...last time round the played on grass in BC and lost to guatemala...remember, the played terrible in edmonton....grass
    Last edited by mighty_torontofc_2008; 06-19-2008 at 10:33 PM.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

but i do (did) want to the support the team in person not on the freaking tv, the players egos are running this team and thats the sad part. If BMO does get grass they should remember what the players did asking for games to be played in Montreal, and don't allow the team in BMO
    The point here is that the CSA is incomptent and the players and MANAGER of the CMNT are both wanting to play on grass. It's not about their egos. They've stuck with Canada DESPITE the CSA and now they are in a position to do something good and they are asking to have the best opportunity to WIN FOR THEIR COUNTRY. They feel that the best opportunity is by playing on GRASS.

I have a feeling you're just being obtuse for the hell of it or you're drunk or something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I better get used the amenities around Stade Saputo and keep note of where the speed traps are on the 401, looks like I will be frequenting that route in the next year or two at least.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE needs to swallow it's pride and not only put in grass, but get the same people who laid it down in Montreal to do it here. If the player's are comparing it to the kind of quality pitches that they have in Europe, we need exactly the same thing here.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good.

If the SMNT bailing on BMO doesnt force someones hand for real grass then nothing will.

The sad thing is everyone knows Canada games in Toronto would be exactly like Toronto matches if MLSE were handed the reins for ticket sales and we had a surface that our best players felt comfortable playing on.

Hopefully this is just another step towards grass at BMO.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    The point here is that the CSA is incomptent and the players and MANAGER of the CMNT are both wanting to play on grass. It's not about their egos. They've stuck with Canada DESPITE the CSA and now they are in a position to do something good and they are asking to have the best opportunity to WIN FOR THEIR COUNTRY. They feel that the best opportunity is by playing on GRASS.

I have a feeling you're just being obtuse for the hell of it or you're drunk or something.

Neither just mad as hell at the players for pulling another stunt. but the fact remains,with Mexico, USA, Costa Rica,Jamiaca, Honduras,Guatemala
    we don;'t really have to worry about the side actually making it to south
    africa, hell they won't get past the second rd!!

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Neither just mad as hell at the players for pulling another stunt. but the fact remains,with Mexico, USA, Costa Rica,Jamiaca, Honduras,Guatemala
    we don;'t really have to worry about the side actually making it to south
    africa, hell they won't get past the second rd!!
    We should finish ahead of these countries.

And this isn't a stunt. It's players tired of the same old shit finally seeing they have some public opinion behind them and standing up for themselves.

Big difference.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    MLSE needs to swallow it's pride and not only put in grass, but get the same people who laid it down in Montreal to do it here. If the player's are comparing it to the kind of quality pitches that they have in Europe, we need exactly the same thing here.

its the city of Torontos stadium not MLSE, so ask the city to lay the grass down. whats MLSE to do if the city refuses, play somewhere else?
    Field turf is here for the long term.