Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    ^ amen

The ONLY question that matters in this thread is:

What is our cue to start singing?
    I was at the Puerto Rico game last year.
    There was a lot of anger on the message boards before the match because TFC announced that due to Champions League policy there would be no anthems before the start of the match.
    Everyone on the boards came to a decision to sing it alone(without music) right after the FIFA anthem.
    What did TFC do?
    Right after the FIFA anthem they just played the first couple of notes to O Canada then off we went and it never sounded so good.
    There were no PA anouncements or anything until we were done.
    I wonder if we can pull it off again this year?

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THA BUTCHER is arguing about protocols and traditions with regards to the singing of anthems, and I totally understand where he's coming from.

However,

All traditions have a time where they did not exist and a point at which they start. While singing O Canada at the start or end of EVERY Toronto FC game (league matches, friendlies, and CONCACAF, etc.) may not be according to protocol, it could very well be the start of a new tradition.

I say sing.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This KW supporter's family chose Canada to live in and will sing O Canada at every opportunity. Sorry, but some of these comments make my blood boil.

I'll be singing from my perch in 109 and want to hear it sung loud and proud!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I realize this is a little late to the party, but I watched every televised game of the CONCACAF CL when the Impact played, they were the Canadian team and I will always support a Canadian Team in a competition where only one Canadian team can go. I was sad, disappointed and annoyed with the way they went out.

and the 55000 in the Olympic stadium watching the game says that I'm not the only one that supported them from a patriotic stand point.

I think fewer people will support TFC because they are from Toronto maybe a little anthem would help wake the rest of the country up to the fact that Toronto isn't the seat of evil in Canada. (As much as I dislike the GTA as a place)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    You got people referring to people from Quebec as frogs (yes, it's in a post that everybody seems to gloss over and it's in poor fucking taste if you ask me)

edit was done, PM was sent.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VoxPopuliCosmicum View Post
    BTW, are you Kenny Blankenship in disguise?
    haha.... however... THA BUTCHA has been around for ages and is known to some of us.
    In fact, he's a good dude who's just taking the opposing side in an internet debate.
    No biggie.... Kenny however, is a full on troll, and is banned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I probably won't sing the anthem because true to form, no matter how hard I try I'll still be 2 minutes late.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and i will vouch for THA BUTCHA as a very proud Canadian fan.

he is always pushing people toward the CANADA games at BMO and is one of the driving forces in mid 110.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever happens don't boo the people from Honduras if they try to sing their anthem too... the MLS all-star game a few years back with people singing O'Canada on top of the music for the American national anthem was an absolute disgrace..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of the posts in here are just embarrassing.

Have we hit the "if you don't sing the anthem tonight then you hate Canada" line of, ahem, "reasoning" that tends to arise in these sorts of threads?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by koryo View Post
    Some of the posts in here are just embarrassing.

Have we hit the "if you don't sing the anthem tonight then you hate Canada" line of, ahem, "reasoning" that tends to arise in these sorts of threads?

thankless moocher, riding on the coattails of others
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    Who cares,if you want to sing do it,if not, than don't.
    Singing anthem doesn't make you more Canadian or patriotic,what you do every day or when this country needs you does.

Singing national anthem before every game is a leftover from USA cold war brainwashing era ,and that is the only reason why only in North America anthems are being sung before every game,does it makes sense?It does if you are born in North America.

Not only FIFA but every other world sport associations have in their protocols that National Anthems should be played only when National Teams are playing,makes sense?It does if you are born outside of North America.

Who is right?
    No one,it's the way it is,no need to brake balls to each other or call each other out because of this.
    QFT.

Seriously. You're full grown men. Get a fucking grip. John TFC sounded like the Canuck Rush Libough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You bastards are un-Canadian, if you don't like Canda then you can geeeet ou

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

okay, this thread is descending into comedy.

to paraphrase some musician I heard in an interview once:

"Some people are into mellow music, and some people are into exciting music. If you're into mellow music, don't try to push it on to people who like exciting music, because they aren't going to like it no matter how good it is. And if you like loud, fast, heavy music, don't try to play it for people who like their music to be chill - they won't like it. You have to respect that other people will like other things, and you aren't changing anybody's mind."

sing if you want, don't sing if you want.
    BUT if you are singing, try to get in time with everyone else who is singing it.

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I loved hearing O Canada last year at the Puerto Rico game...it sounded amazing. Brought the hairs on the back of my neck to attention, too.

Now, when I go to other sporting events and people don't sing, or don't remove their hats, I wonder what's wrong with them.

It's a great way to warm up the throat for the game and gets me prepared to sing for my team.

And yes, I belt out O Canada at Milltown FC games, as well - with scarf held high.
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heart of Stone View Post
    Whatever happens don't boo the people from Honduras if they try to sing their anthem too... the MLS all-star game a few years back with people singing O'Canada on top of the music for the American national anthem was an absolute disgrace..
    You are taking that out of context. Nobody was booing the american national anthem. They were booing the fact that they seemed to have left out the Canadian anthem. I would never boo someone's national anthem. But I was booing that day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok guys you win. I will help with singing the anthem.

It's nice to hear different opinions on this forum
    It would a very boring place if everyone agreed about everything.

Prediction for tonite: 2-1 tfc

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If you want to sing the anthem, sing it loud and proud. If you don't want to, that's fine as well.

What I don't get is people who are concerned about what people in Montreal or Vancouver might think. Who cares? Fuck them! It could have been them hosting this match, but they didn't win the Canadian Championship, so cry me a bloody river for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Glad to see THA BUTCHA will be singing the anthem.

Honestly guys, sing it or not, the choice is yours. But to say that others should / shouldn't sing is allowing the debate to reach a level where it shouldn't be.

Just to recap: Players come out, FIFA Anthem played, singing of Canadian National Anthem commences aCapella.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    You are taking that out of context. Nobody was booing the american national anthem. They were booing the fact that they seemed to have left out the Canadian anthem. I would never boo someone's national anthem. But I was booing that day.
    Ha. I remember that. When it started happening, I was ready to kill anyone booing! After the game and coming on here, I realized that it really was booing the fact the Canadian anthem wasn't being played. So, no hard feelings. Can't wait for tonight.
    [B]75 Mile Bastards[/B]
    [B]Tailgate Team[/B] [B]Underling[/B]
    [B]Season Ticket Holder 110 Row 33 Seat 9[/B] [B]aka The Bastards' Perch[/B]
    [B]Red Patch Boy through and through. :scarf:[/B][SIZE=6][B][COLOR=SeaGreen]
    [/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This whole debate seems silly. A "Nation" means a group of people with common history, traditions and culture. The Canadian flag defines our "nation" and the anthem is a way to show we are united.

Until we come up with an anthem for TFC (and not T-F-C clap clap clap), this is as good as it gets.

For those on the club-country debate, our team competes in a league in which teams wear a national flag on their kits to reflect the home country in which they play. Should we rip that flag off our replica jerseys too?

Sing it or don't, your choice but don't mock those that choose to let their pride shine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by THA BUTCHA View Post
    ok. then went me ask you a question.

Do you feel that every Montreal impact Fan should be cheering for us?
    Yes. I cheered Montreal in their fantastic run in the CONCACAF CL.

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The more successful Canadian teams are in the CCL, then the closer we'll get to having a confirmed spot in the group stages without having to go through the preliminary round.

This will be good no matter who represents Canada. So, yes...if Vancouver gets through next year, I'll cheer for them. Not that they're likely to hear me, but I'll be watching on TV.
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Banned
    When will people learn that passion doesnt make you good at football
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont think the argument here was ever suppose to be sing or dont sing. And definitely dont think anyone plannned on sitting silent with their arms crossed while it played. Just that playing anthems before a local match doesnt make too much sense to some of us, as we dont feel our club is a representation of a nation at all(this includes mls games) personally im not overly bothered with anthems at all, or flags, or national flowers. These things dont alter the extreme love I have for my country. Theres no song on earth that could do that.
    This seems like as good a place as any...paul, get the announcer dude to stop telling people to raise our scarves up high before the anthem on game days...we know this!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    You got people referring to people from Quebec as frogs (yes, it's in a post that everybody seems to gloss over and it's in poor fucking taste if you ask me)
    My apologies ... no offence meant ... it's a real French surname BTW ... though in France not in Quebec ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James Oliphant View Post
    Toronto

Oakville

Toronto

The 905 area.

Scarborough, pre-amalgamation.

HaHa! You would!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One more thing: I promise

We've been really off when singing the national anthem lately @ BMO field and thats with the music on.

I Have a feeling we are gonna "Butcher" O Canada
    Remember the music wont be Playing.

OK Im really going bed'

Forza TFC
    You would love to see us fail that much that you would hope that we sang it poorly?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One more thing: I promise

We've been really off when singing the national anthem lately @ BMO field and thats with the music on.

I Have a feeling we are gonna "Butcher" O Canada
    Remember the music wont be Playing.

OK Im really going bed'

Forza TFC
    Truth is... it was one of our best National Anthems that we have sung at BMO.