Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default KC Wizards against ManU

http://www.atdhe.net/21538/watch-kan...chester-united

2-1 KC right now. KC scored with 10 men at the end of the half to take the lead.

I don't know about you guys but the MLS is showing that they are not light years below any other league in the world. They aren't there yet, but they aren't light years behind.

I don't care for the typical excuses that people usually turn to in this circumstance, for example, "this is a b team", "they ate too many burgers during the offseason and have come here to work them off, "they purposely come here and run slower since they don't give a fuck". Anyways, you get my point, KC should NEVER scored on ManU, let alone 2 goals and with 10 men on the field.

I really think the MLS is showing that they are no longer light years below other leagues in the world. Times are changing and it's exciting to be a part of it.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well said Pachuco. I'm of the mind that people's bias for foreign leagues are based on how much longer they've been around and their structure.

But that says nothing to the fact of, at a playing level, MLS teams are competitive.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    http://www.atdhe.net/21538/watch-kan...chester-united

2-1 KC right now. KC scored with 10 men at the end of the half to take the lead.

I don't know about you guys but the MLS is showing that they are not light years below any other league in the world. They aren't there yet, but they aren't light years behind.

I don't care for the typical excuses that people usually turn to in this circumstance, for example, "this is a b team", "they ate too many burgers during the offseason and have come here to work them off, "they purposely come here and run slower since they don't give a fuck". Anyways, you get my point, KC should NEVER scored on ManU, let alone 2 goals and with 10 men on the field.

I really think the MLS is showing that they are no longer light years below other leagues in the world. Times are changing and it's exciting to be a part of it.

I agree, same thing goes with Man City losing to NYRB this afternoon as well. You would think MLS teams shouldnt be beating b squad EPL teams regardless if its pre season and they "dont give a fuck"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raging Reggie View Post
    I agree, same thing goes with Man City losing to NYRB this afternoon as well. You would think MLS teams shouldnt be beating b squad EPL teams regardless if its pre season and they "dont give a fuck"
    And how about Bolton tying a Toronto FC C team? Heck that wasn't even a C team. It's our Academy players with a bunch of trialists mashed together. Players who hadn't even played together before that game.

The Union also beat the Celtic, and from everyting I've read, they played well against ManU although lost 1-0. Let me repeat that, THE UNION. An expansion team in the MLS currently in third last in the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And there you have it. KC hangs on with 10 men (for about 65mins) to win the game. Good showing by MLS on this tour so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS is definitely improving, but I wouldn't read anything into pre-season results.

These teams (not just EPL, but La Liga and Serie A as well) routinely lose to teams from lower divisions in pre-season.

They also lose in cup competitions as well. Its not all that uncommon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ True, but it's still nice to know that a B or C EPL squad cannot just run over and MLS team (especially when it's a B or C MLS squad too).

I don't care that there's a gap between the leagues at full strength, but it's nice to think that that gap maybe isn't as wide as many people would say.

Although RBNY have had 5 freindlies this season -- that's a little ridiculous.
    Last edited by James17930; 07-25-2010 at 08:52 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry but it's like the Lions beating the Colts in pre-season. In a first team vs. first team game these sides would get trucked.

The MLS should focus on beating Central American sides in the Champions League instead of getting these "morale boosting" victories against big European sides.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bullshit those are justifiable reasons. How does it show MLS' quality when they're in the middle of a season compared to a team that is in pre-season mode and playing a lot of fringe members? Man Utd played their 3rd GK in 3 games and had motherfucking Ritchie De Laet starting. The point for the bigger teams (since it's mostly Europe but on occasion South American teams play us) is to see how the youngsters play and hope the old fucks can still run without falling apart like a ton of bricks.

I do not look at friendlies as a way to see how far we are from the rest of the world, I look at real competitions. Sure MLS is getting a lot better, but the CONCACAF Champions League results are so discouraging.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC USA View Post
    Sorry but it's like the Lions beating the Colts in pre-season. In a first team vs. first team game these sides would get trucked.

The MLS should focus on beating Central American sides in the Champions League instead of getting these "morale boosting" victories against big European sides.
    100% agree. It's nice to get these wins and draws but we need to focus on being dominate in our backyard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lions beating the Colts? so are you saying KC is in the EPL?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lions beating the Colts? so are you saying KC is in the EPL?
    Okay....

This is like the London Sillynannies beating the New England Patriots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really wish the EPL tours to N.America would take the kind of excitement and enthusiasm of the 1970s Summit Series with USSR coming to the NHL.

Until some kind of drama can be hyped up, I won't be following. I didn't know that ManU, Bolton and Celtic were even here or that it mattered to anyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bullshit those are justifiable reasons. How does it show MLS' quality when they're in the middle of a season compared to a team that is in pre-season mode and playing a lot of fringe members? Man Utd played their 3rd GK in 3 games and had motherfucking Ritchie De Laet starting. The point for the bigger teams (since it's mostly Europe but on occasion South American teams play us) is to see how the youngsters play and hope the old fucks can still run without falling apart like a ton of bricks.

I do not look at friendlies as a way to see how far we are from the rest of the world, I look at real competitions. Sure MLS is getting a lot better, but the CONCACAF Champions League results are so discouraging.
    Fringe members? I only watch ManU in the EPL and in the Champions League. That's the only time I see them play, and the starting lineup was extremely recognizable to me. Fringe players my ass. Most of those players get starts in the EPL here and there. It may have been a B team, but ManU's B team plays a heck of alot of games with the schedule they have. And since you are singling out the goalie, I'll single out Nani and Berbatov. Nevermind Scholes and Giggs cause you'll call them old farts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fringe members? I only watch ManU in the EPL and in the Champions League. That's the only time I see them play, and the starting lineup was extremely recognizable to me. Fringe players my ass. Most of those players get starts in the EPL here and there. It may have been a B team, but ManU's B team plays a heck of alot of games with the schedule they have. And since you are singling out the goalie, I'll single out Nani and Berbatov. Nevermind Scholes and Giggs cause you'll call them old farts.
    You gotta be shitting me. Ritchie De Laet, Amos, Smalling, Obertan, Gibson (who hardly starts), Cleverley, and Diouf are regular starters?

Look, there's a reason why it's called preseason. You test lineups, see how players work with others, see how some (not all) starters perform, and at the same time pull some foreign pussy. Why put in full effort if it means fuck all to your record?

Carrick, Park, Vidic, Rooney, Hernandez, and Van Der Sar are just a few I can name who weren't playing today and regularly play in the EPL (at least Hernandez will soon).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay....

If this was a one off then I would believe you that MLS is at the level of the London Syllynannies. But since it isn't, I'm gonna say it's more like the New England Patriots losing to the Florida Gators while NE is in preseason and Florida is in mid-season.

And that to me is actually not to shabi.

I'm going to guess you are American, I think you should believe a little more in the league your country created.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this was a one off then I would believe you that MLS is at the level of the London Syllynannies. But since it isn't, I'm gonna say it's more like the New England Patriots losing to the Florida Gators while NE is in preseason and Florida is in mid-season.

And that to me is actually not to shabi.

I'm going to guess you are American, I think you should believe a little more in the league your country created.
    No, I just used a comedic example because you turned my Lions/Colts example into a strawman argument.

The Detroit Lions are one of the worst teams in football but the season they went 0-16 they went 4-0 in the preseason. When the Colts won the Super Bowl I think they went 0-4 in the preseason.

Now what I meant was Detroit has few talented players, has had a history of poor play, while Indy has the greatest player in the game today and a shitload of weapons compared to Detroit's squirt-gun.

So when the Lions beat the Colts in preseason it means absolutely jack shit because Indy is seeing how the youngsters play without injuring Peyton Manning and Reggie Wayne.

Scholes and Giggs don't have many years left so that's why they're getting the playing time to see how fit they are. Sometimes you play starters who had recently been injured to test their stamina, fitness, speed, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You gotta be shitting me. Ritchie De Laet, Amos, Smalling, Obertan, Gibson (who hardly starts), Cleverley, and Diouf are regular starters?

Look, there's a reason why it's called preseason. You test lineups, see how players work with others, see how some (not all) starters perform, and at the same time pull some foreign pussy. Why put in full effort if it means fuck all to your record?

Carrick, Park, Vidic, Rooney, Hernandez, and Van Der Sar are just a few I can name who weren't playing today and regularly play in the EPL (at least Hernandez will soon).
    How about you take my words and twist them around a little more? When did I call them regular starters? I fucking called them ManU's B team for fuck sakes and went on to say that their B team gets starts here and there.

Diouf is a new addition buddy, so I love how you call him someone who isn't a starter because he hasn't played for them and then go on to call Hernandez a starter. another

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have to agree with TFC USA here. I think the days of teams simply obliterating others are over in most sports. You are beginning to see this in sports like hockey and basketball as well where European clubs are giving the clearly superior North American teams an extremely hard time (case in point, a Swiss club defeating the current champs Chicago Blackhawks for the Victoria Cup in the pre-season last year).

Yes, I think MLS has raised the standard of play quite significantly but really, you cannot read into these results at all. The only thing results like this prove is that finally American teams have improved to the point that they can get a positive result, in their mid-season form, against European teams that are completely unmotivated and in their pre-season form. If you are concluding anything more from these games than you are clutching at straws, really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry about that I misunderstood.

Still, the players I mentioned are hardly day-to-day members of their top squad. The win is nice and all but it's just a friendly.

Shamrock Rovers only lost 1-0 to Real Madrid last year....should I take the Irish League a little more seriously?

These results happen all the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DichioTFC View Post
    I really wish the EPL tours to N.America would take the kind of excitement and enthusiasm of the 1970s Summit Series with USSR coming to the NHL.
    That shit was legendary. These were hardly friendlies, in fact these were some fierce rivalry games.

Sort of like USA vs. Mexico "friendlies".

We don't have any rivalries with these teams or any bad blood.

Cleveland Browns vs. Aston Villa.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Have to agree with TFC USA here. I think the days of teams simply obliterating others are over in most sports. You are beginning to see this in sports like hockey and basketball as well where European clubs are giving the clearly superior North American teams an extremely hard time (case in point, a Swiss club defeating the current champs Chicago Blackhawks for the Victoria Cup in the pre-season last year).

Yes, I think MLS has raised the standard of play quite significantly but really, you cannot read into these results at all. The only thing results like this prove is that finally American teams have improved to the point that they can get a positive result, in their mid-season form, against European teams that are completely unmotivated and in their pre-season form. If you are concluding anything more from these games than you are clutching at straws, really.
    So you agree that they've raised their level significantly, you just disagree that I am using international friendlies as an example. But we both agree that they've raised their level big time. At the end of the day, that's really all that matters.

TFC USA - 5 years ago if you asked me whether teams in the MLS could show well against some of the best teams in the world I would've laughed. I would've laughed if you told me they could beat their academies on any given day. That's not the case anymore, really, that's all that matters to me. This league has grown in 5 years like I never imagined.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS has raised its level enough to have several players move to Europe.

As far as MLS franchises and their team play it's ugly as hell to watch and they end up getting clowned by small Honduras sides.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That shit was legendary. These were hardly friendlies, in fact these were some fierce rivalry games.

Sort of like USA vs. Mexico "friendlies".

We don't have any rivalries with these teams or any bad blood.

Cleveland Browns vs. Aston Villa.
    I would love to go to Azteca for a US / Mexico "friendly".. not sure I would make it out alive but the experience would be worth it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DichioTFC View Post
    I would love to go to Azteca for a US / Mexico "friendly".. not sure I would make it out alive but the experience would be worth it!
    Wear a raincoat.

That said, it would definitely be a gas.

MUFC_Niagara

The pre-seasn tour is a glorified training match. I was at the Union game. Philadelphia played like it was the world cup final.....United played like it was a pre-season friendly against a shit north american team. What MLS side wouldn't get up to play the likes of Man Utd, on the other side, how does Man Utd get up to play Philadelphia Union or Kansas City Wizards? The only reason I had hoped United wouldn't lose to a MLS side is for this very reason...all of a sudden MLS is on par with the EPL when really the EPL sides are using this as a means to increase fitness and decide whether or not their younger players should be sent out on loan. Corey Evans in is the United squad and played against Philly for fucks sake!

It goes without saying that MLS has gotten better but that's because with a domestic league your hom grown talent is always going to get better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC_Niagara View Post
    The pre-seasn tour is a glorified training match. I was at the Union game. Philadelphia played like it was the world cup final.....United played like it was a pre-season friendly against a shit north american team. What MLS side wouldn't get up to play the likes of Man Utd, on the other side, how does Man Utd get up to play Philadelphia Union or Kansas City Wizards? The only reason I had hoped United wouldn't lose to a MLS side is for this very reason...all of a sudden MLS is on par with the EPL when really the EPL sides are using this as a means to increase fitness and decide whether or not their younger players should be sent out on loan. Corey Evans in is the United squad and played against Philly for fucks sake!

It goes without saying that MLS has gotten better but that's because with a domestic league your hom grown talent is always going to get better.
    Yeah cause that's what everybody is saying aren't they, that MLS is at the same level as the EPL .

Anyways, you'll never convince me that a a Man United B squad comes here not giving a fuck about the game. You seriously think the likes of Diouf, Gibson and EVEN Berbatov haven't come here with something to prove to Ferguson? You seriously think these guys are going to give up a starting spot on the team because they just don't care? Sorry, I'll never buy that argument. If it was their A team playing then maybe you could say that. Every single player on the United squad that is on this tour is fighting for a starting position, not a single one of them is guaranteed to be in the starting 11.

MUFC_Niagara

Yeah cause that's what everybody is saying aren't they, that MLS is at the same level as the EPL .

Anyways, you'll never convince me that a a Man United B squad comes here not giving a fuck about the game. You seriously think the likes of Diouf, Gibson and EVEN Berbatov haven't come here with something to prove to Ferguson? You seriously think these guys are going to give up a starting spot on the team because they just don't care? Sorry, I'll never buy that argument. If it was their A team playing then maybe you could say that. Every single player on the United squad that is on this tour is fighting for a starting position, not a single one of them is guaranteed to be in the starting 11.
    What "point do you prove" against a couple of shit MLS teams? These players aren't fighting for a "starting" spot....mostare fighting for a squad number. You can think what you want, but its wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MUFC_Niagara View Post
    What "point do you prove" against a couple of shit MLS teams? These players aren't fighting for a "starting" spot....mostare fighting for a squad number. You can think what you want, but its wrong.
    Sure buddy. I'm wrong. All the players on the tour have come with the mentality that playing well against a shit MLS team isn't going to impress the coach. So they instead decide to walk around on the field and wait until the ref blows the final whistle. Heck, in that case they might as well not show up to practice either, you know, since it doesn't matter how they play outside of playing an EPL game.

And it doesn't matter that there are 50,000 people watching in the stands as I represent one of the top clubs in the world, I'm still gonna sit my ass on the field and wait for the ref to blow the final whistle cause the coach ain't judging me anyways.

There are way better excuses for ManU losing then to say the players on the field don't give a fuck.