Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default IFFHS Ranks MLS as 88th in the World

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, I'd really like to see how those points are allocated. I seriously doubt the league from Yemen has more quality than MLS... and that's just one of the 87 leagues that are ranked as supposedly higher.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

87. India 130,5
    88. USA 129,0
    89. Malawi128,5
    really?? hahahaha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That looks about right as far as the MLS is concerned.

This ranking makes me want to stream games from Kuwait and Qatar and see how they are evaluated as being better than the Czechs and Danish. Is it all just cash?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When you see the performances in the champions league its hard to argue!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry but that ranking is the biggest crock of shit I've ever read. I think MLS should rank in the top 20 at the very least!

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I'm sorry but that ranking is the biggest crock of shit I've ever read. I think MLS should rank in the top 20 at the very least!
    Exactly my point.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

E)
    In Central and Northern America, the Mexican league at No 1 is well clear. But the clubs of the MLS disappointed in the CONCACAF Champions League, following the USA league is now in 88th place. The league from Guatemala is currently ahead of those from the USA, Honduras, El Salvador and Costa Rica, the No.2 in this region. But the margins of points are extremely small, so the positions behind the Mexican Primera División can change almost weekly.

yeah, I sense a big anti-USA/MLS slant to that whole thing.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That it's not a top league...I agree.

That it's 88th??? That throws the entire results into doubt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on what ??

Surely the only way to judge a league is by how they do against other teams in the region. MLS has done pretty badly in the Champions league from what ive seen.

If you look at the concaf champions league wiki it shows the most successfull leagues in the competition:

Mexico
    Costa Rica
    El Salvador
    Suriname
    Guatamala
    Honduras
    Trinidad & Tobago
    USA
    Haiti

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jaxul View Post
    That looks about right as far as the MLS is concerned.
    i hate the "you don't know football" argument so instead i'll just feign concern for your glaucoma or basic reasoning disability

if you unironically think the leagues of sudan, bahrain, moldova and india are all better than MLS, we might seriously need to refer you to camh

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STB View Post
    Surely the only way to judge a league is by how they do against other teams in the region.
    or you could use your eyes and basic common sense

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In addition to the international leagues that rank higher, I'd also like to point out just how little MLS sides seem to care about CONCACAF Champions league matches. Champions League games are mid-week, mid-season and with the SuperLiga, US Open Cup, All-Star game and International Friendlies to play in addition to the MLS Schedule, the clubs participating are often playing two or three times a week. Not exactly a recipe for international success.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well let's see now, it has been proven before that most central american and south american leagues have better quality and I think we can all agree that the majority of european clubs are above MLS level of play. That puts the MLS in the 40-50 range. I assume most of us know close to nothing about asian/australian/african leagues therefore it is tough to compare and account for the other 40 spots this rating uses to sink the MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STB View Post
    Based on what ??

Surely the only way to judge a league is by how they do against other teams in the region. MLS has done pretty badly in the Champions league from what ive seen.

If you look at the concaf champions league wiki it shows the most successfull leagues in the competition:

Mexico
    Costa Rica
    El Salvador
    Suriname
    Guatamala
    Honduras
    Trinidad & Tobago
    USA
    Haiti
    Granted, I don't have the official statistics regarding past CCL results at my disposal but I do recall that some MLS clubs have faired well in the past. Nontheless, I base my opinion primarily on the quality of football I've watched on television from various leagues around the world. I subscribe to Setanta, GolTV, and FoxSW which show a plethora of games from several leagues in Europe, South America, and Asia. Based on the games I've watched, I stand by my statement...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azerban View Post
    You should take your own advice....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i hate the "you don't know football" argument so instead i'll just feign concern for your glaucoma or basic reasoning disability

if you unironically think the leagues of sudan, bahrain, moldova and india are all better than MLS, we might seriously need to refer you to camh
    I have actually seen games in Moldova live as well as Moldavian teams perform in the first stages of the CL and Europa League, and yes they are in better shape and show better technical ability than the majority of MLS players.

I cannot attest to the Indian league but in the middle east, they throw piles of cash at players to come play and the level in most middle eastern leagues is very decent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Granted, I don't have the official statistics regarding past CCL results at my disposal but I do recall that some MLS clubs have faired well in the past. Nontheless, I base my opinion primarily on the quality of football I've watched on television from various leagues around the world. I subscribe to Setanta, GolTV, and FoxSW which show a plethora of games from several leagues in Europe, South America, and Asia. Based on the games I've watched, I stand by my statement...
    Dont get me wrong if we are talking player power then the MLS should be WAY higher however if you look at the bottom of the page:

If one looks at the football power-houses of the world, one notices that regularly 4 or 5 clubs of their leagues are always competing in continental competitions. By adding the points won in all competitions by the five best placed clubs of each league, we have the points for the country which in turn helps to establish a fair classification

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well that certainly doesn't help mls

we're the only league in the world where every single club gets to play in international competition at some point

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ Seriously. Including one that pits the likes of Seattle against the best league in the region.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

iiiifffhhhsss.com
    Who are these guys? Some random web developer puts up a site, me thinks.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just a random thought

With a league like the one in Honduras, a team like Motagua will be stacked with national team players. Clearly that one team will do well in club competitions. If Honduras can make it to the World Cup, then a club team made up of those same players will probably do well.... BUT what's the 4th or 8th ranked team really like? How would the 8th place team in Honduras do against the 8th placed team in MLS? Actually Olimpia is a bigger club than Motagua, but I think that if you take the top3 clubs out of the picture and then compare leagues, the MLS would be MUCH higher.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C.D._Motagua#Squad
    ^ worth noting that all but 4 players are Honduran nationals.
    Last edited by Parkdale; 07-22-2010 at 12:05 PM.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ This is the situation for most South American leagues. 1-3 dominant teams and a ton of ineffective sides.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About as meaningless as FIFA's ratings...
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ranking system uses the last 5 years of international play to come up with their rankings. CONCACAF countries are at a disadvantage compared to other leagues because they play less games internationally. (the champions league is only in its third year, before that the champions cup had a total of 8 teams in a knockout competition). Every other federation has 2 tournaments with group stages.

I emailed the iiffhs once about this and their reaction was basically "the rankins aren't perfect... sorry". In three years as MLS teams play more games internationally the rankings will improve, as will the rest of concacaf countries.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

are you trying to tell me that the zimbabwe premier soccer league may not be better than mls? but...i read it on the internet...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

are you trying to tell me that the zimbabwe premier soccer league may not be better than mls? but...i read it on the internet...
    I heard that Henry was going to sign with the Bulawayo Highlanders but changed his mind at the last minute.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zimbabw..._Soccer_League

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suprised that nobody has pointed out that Brazil and Argentina are ranked higher than England. That's just crazy talk...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    Suprised that nobody has pointed out that Brazil and Argentina are ranked higher than England. That's just crazy talk...
    I think that many people here would agree that England isn't an untouchable league. There was info about them swinging back into the top spot later in the year, but it's a very close setup. Sure the EPL has all the big deals (tv, sponsorship etc) but I think most people see that it's not really miles ahead of Spain, Brazil or Germany-Italy-France.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't say anything about Spain/Germany/Italy/France, did I? I know that's much more debatable. I don't know much about the local Brazil league, but Argentina's certainly isn't that impressive.