Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"The notion that every soccer kid should go to university is false, and I explained the situation in which a kid should and should not attend the NCAA for soccer."

Not that I think the NCAA produces quality players, but considering a young player perhaps has a 10-20% chance of making it this profession, it's tough to turn down a FREE quality education

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    We need a reserve league and we need to start looking seriously at the CSL as a source of players. The quality isn't bad. TFC and MLS need to start looking at these lower leagues and be willing to pay small amounts of money for transfer fees. It's not going to break your back and in many cases will improve the quality of the leagues below you (and improve your own by increasing the amount of good players in the north american pool). Unfortunately, MLS thinks its ok to use the Shite NCAA model.
    You couldn't be more right. Especially the way that the CSL has started to go with a new focus on development.

Transfer fees wouldn't be alot and with most of the teams being in the GTA there is no excuse to look at these guys.

I give TFC credit for how them use the CSL. They have given their academy a competitve place to test themselves and grow, loaned Kocic out to the Serbian White Eagles and have now trialed Brantford Galaxy players. That's called using your surroundings to your advantage.
    Last edited by Stouffville_RPB; 07-23-2010 at 08:44 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maninb View Post
    "The notion that every soccer kid should go to university is false, and I explained the situation in which a kid should and should not attend the NCAA for soccer."

Not that I think the NCAA produces quality players, but considering a young player perhaps has a 10-20% chance of making it this profession, it's tough to turn down a FREE quality education
    Sure, but that doesn't in any way conflict with my point, which is that NOT every kid should go to the NCAA automatically just because of a free education. Free education is overrated IF you can make money as a soccer player. Even an average MLS player could be potentially making 80-120K at some point during his twenties, while having 2 months off each year. Very few people with university educations earn that during their 20s.

I also question where you get the 10-20% chance number. If you're a kid in TFC's academy right now, I think you have a much better chance of making it in this profession. Doneil Henry, for example, to me, seems to have a much better chance of making it than 10-20%. He looks good now.

Now, if you're NOT on TFC's Academy, and you're some kid playing for a local side and can grab a scholarship to the NCAA, go for it. But TFC Academy kids already show potential. They need to be in a pro environment.
    Last edited by rocker; 07-23-2010 at 11:18 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maninb View Post

I don't want to burst your bubble, but you're projecting the picture NCAA wants you to believe happens, but doesn't usually. High percentages don't graduate, get their scholarships pulled, receive low quality (athlete preferential) schooling, and are put in pretty harsh situations.

But the NCAA wants you think of the image of a hard-working student-athlete who busts his ass to go to class everyday and plays sports after. That person (for the most part) does not exist.

If your a kid who has the opportunity to go pro immediately and are serious about a professional career, step up and take your chance. Playing a shortened season of soccer with bastardized rules against a shallow overall talent pool will not allow you to reach your full potential.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 07-23-2010 at 01:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jahinho_Guerro View Post
    it will be back next year from my understading and IIRC.
    They wanted to bring back the reserve league THIS season but couldnt find away to create a league that is efficient it two ways: cost v quality
    That's good. I'm hoping to see at least two guys getting signed from the academy for next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    If your a kid who has the opportunity to go pro immediately and are serious about a professional career, step up and take your chance. Playing a shortened season of soccer with bastardized rules against a shallow overall talent pool will not allow you to reach your full potential.
    Yup! If my kid was as good as some of these academy boys at age 18, I'd tell him to go pro.

And this is coming from a person who spent 14 years in university and teaches at university. Trust me people. I've seen the insides of universities as a student and teacher, and it's NOT for everyone. I see too many disinterested students going to school just because mommy and daddy told them to. I actually wish more kids DIDN'T go to school right away, and instead did other things that connect with their passions (sport, art, music whatever). The best students are the ones who have lived life a bit and then choose to come back to school later knowing what they want in life.

If my kid was passionate about football, I'd say go for it! School will always be there (even if you have to take out loans later). But to waste your prime footy years in substandard training is a shame... you only have maybe 10 years of your sporting prime to make it. Don't waste it!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    Yup! If my kid was as good as some of these academy boys at age 18, I'd tell him to go pro.

And this is coming from a person who spent 14 years in university and teaches at university. Trust me people. I've seen the insides of universities as a student and teacher, and it's NOT for everyone. I see too many disinterested students going to school just because mommy and daddy told them to. I actually wish more kids DIDN'T go to school right away, and instead did other things that connect with their passions (sport, art, music whatever). The best students are the ones who have lived life a bit and then choose to come back to school later knowing what they want in life.

If my kid was passionate about football, I'd say go for it! School will always be there (even if you have to take out loans later). But to waste your prime footy years in substandard training is a shame... you only have maybe 10 years of your sporting prime to make it. Don't waste it!
    This.

It's not like universities will disappear if you decide to take year or two off to pursue your passion or do something else like work to make some money for school or travel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would argue that the very top NCAA programs are far superior to anything that TFC has to offer - and that would extend from facilities to coaching to infrastructure.

And a top program will play a lot of top level matches at the level the athlete is ready for.

Who would he play against for TFC? Where would his quality matches come from that he needs for his development?

I'd argue a year at school to try things out is a far better option than turning pro.

And thats without even thinking about the 'merits' of the actual education.

A frosh will get excellent quality matches playing against other top programs against 4th or 5th year seniors; no matter how good he is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of those are very valid points felipe, but ask Zach Herold the different between TFC's facilities and medical staff to that of the NCAA and combine... not even close.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Rocker whole-heartedly, adding one caveat. Be reasonable about your assessment of your kid. Use hockey as an example. How many GTAA hockey players make it to the NHL every year? Answer... 1/2. One every two years from the GTAA make it to the pros.

So your kid must be the top kid in the league and the year ahead or behind him. Its a daunting stat, but the point is the kid has to be the top five of his entire league. Or else a pro career (in the big leagues or bush leagues) is probably not going to happen.

As far as soccer scholarships go, if you're not the top 5 in your league. I say take it, go for the experience of it. If it sux, you can always transfer to York and get an education. (Yorkies don't hate on me, I'm one of you)

This M.O. was done by none other than Mr. Andrea Lombardo. He paid his way to Europe, gave it a shot... failed. Came home TFC gave him a shot... failed. Now he's getting an education. Good on him.
    Last edited by TorCanSoc; 07-27-2010 at 11:06 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ Bang on son, bang on. College/Uni isn't going anywhere, if you have the opportunity, why pass it up?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A mind might be a terrible thing to waste but the opportunity to play professional football is even more terrible to waste...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look at the NCAA draft. The only good players come from the first round, and a chunk of the second round. The players picked up after that are guys that will sit on a bench, or will just be used as reserves. They show no potential at all.

Going into an academy, and getting pro training, without focusing on anything except sport, will get your ability up much faster. And you will know if it will or wont work out. Players like henry and lindsay will definately be signed, and should hop aboard TFC ASAP. If someone can see that they probally wont be signed, despite their prescence in the academy, then its time to look at the NCAA.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by razor787 View Post
    Look at the NCAA draft. The only good players come from the first round, and a chunk of the second round. The players picked up after that are guys that will sit on a bench, or will just be used as reserves. They show no potential at all.
    you sure about that? enough 3rd and 4th rounders make it on MLS level. though I think MLS scouting kinda sucks, compared to other pro leagues in NA. also, sometimes late round picks are those players probably want to go to Europe instead of MLS, thus not necessarily mean they suck

since I'm bored, list of MLS regulars from 2000 to 2009 late round picks.
    Jon Conway
    Nick Rimando
    Kerry Zavagnin (now retired)
    John Wolyniec

Edson Buddle
    Jim Curtin
    Craig Waibel
    Cory Gibbs

Alejandro Moreno
    Davy Arnaud

Roger Levesque
    Logan Pause
    Jack Jewsbury
    Josh Saunders

Michael Bradley
    Alan Gordon
    Andy Dorman
    Jeff Parke

Chris Rolfe
    Gonzalo Segares
    Thabiso Khumalo
    Quavas Kirk

Ryan Johnson
    Ray Burse
    Jonathan Bornstein
    Mike Chabala

Omar Cummings
    Sinisa Upiparapovic
    Mike Banner
    Nick LaBrocca
    Kurt Morsink
    Bobby Burling
    Adam Cristman

Luke Sassano
    Geoff Cameron
    Brandon McDonald
    Steven Lenhart
    Stephen King

Quincy Amarikwa
    Darrius Barnes
    Nick Zimmermann
    Danny Cruz
    Brandon Barklage
    Michael Holody
    Last edited by Yohan; 07-27-2010 at 01:13 PM.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You really can not compare the NCAA as source of talent for say the NFL, NBA to the MLS. The NCAA is complimentary source of talent for the MLS where for the NFL and NBA it is the primary source of players for them.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBlake View Post
    You really can not compare the NCAA as source of talent for say the NFL, NBA to the MLS. The NCAA is complimentary source of talent for the MLS where for the NFL and NBA it is the primary source of players for them.
    you sure about that? last i checked, MLS superdraft is the primary source of young players for MLS
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A.FUCKING.BEAST.
    kid continues like this, only gonna get better

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was impressed with him also, he was getting in a lot of good crosses, I didn't really see him muck any up at all. For what it is worth when I was at the town hall on monday Paul Beirne was saying that he would like TFC kids ot forget about uni and basically go pro, he says it is the only way for them to truely progress at the same rate as those in other countries. I don't know the ins and outs of the process in Canada as I was not educated here but is there anything to stop a kid like this going pro and putting uni on the back burner if he likes?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He can put things on the backburner and do things later, but as we all know, whenever you do something "later", it gets harder and harder to do every year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    I would argue that rotting on a bench in the MLS or playing in the CSL would stunt your growth more then playing in the NCAA. If TFC signs Lindsey right now, all he'll do is sit on the bench. Unless you think he's MLS ready, which is crazy.
    I wanted to comment on this way back when but was side tracked. Anyhow, saying he's not MLS ready is just saying it for the sake of saying it and nothing more. This is the MLS, it won't take much for someone to be "MLS ready" and he clearly showed he was more than ready today. Hell, if Josh Mceachran can be premiership ready for Chelsea at 17, Lindsay can be MLS ready for TFC.

He has a starting spot for next year in my books. He is the first true winger we have ever had, and will be a key ingredient to taking us to the playoffs next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Macksam View Post
    I wanted to comment on this way back when but was side tracked. Anyhow, saying he's not MLS ready is just saying it for the sake of saying it and nothing more. This is the MLS, it won't take much for someone to be "MLS ready" and he clearly showed he was more than ready today. Hell, if Josh Mceachran can be premiership ready for Chelsea at 17, Lindsay can be MLS ready for TFC.

He has a starting spot for next year in my books. He is the first true winger we have ever had, and will be a key ingredient to taking us to the playoffs next season.
    Completely agree with everything. I was going to post on here about Lindsay being a starter next year. It'll give him the greatest opportunity possible to grow and develop. He already appears very confident on the ball and he's very energetic reaching loose balls.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaughno View Post
    Yeah if Lindsay isn't signed before he hits NCAA... I'll be pissed off. The kid has a bright future for sure.
    How did this thread take this weird NCAA turn? TFC signed Lindsay on the day before the roster freeze day. He's an academy graduate yes, but he's a roster player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DichioTFC View Post
    Completely agree with everything. I was going to post on here about Lindsay being a starter next year. It'll give him the greatest opportunity possible to grow and develop. He already appears very confident on the ball and he's very energetic reaching loose balls.
    He has barely played in the MLS, but he already seems like one of the most skilled players in the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Threads 3 months old FYI.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Well that makes more sense then.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jason DeVos said on the broadcast he was very impressed with Nicholas's play against the Crew.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was very strong, I'm looking forward to watching him play on Tuesday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im pissed they took him off..he had moffet for lunch today..
    daso must have a hard on for peterson..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Macksam View Post

Yep, beauty of a thing, ill be heartbroken if hes not first string, obviously still has alot to learn but christ almighty if he didnt prove himself today. Im fighting the urge to get a Lindsey jersey this soon.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    im pissed they took him off..he had moffet for lunch today..
    daso must have a hard on for peterson..
    I was furious but im hoping its because they were banging him about? I hope so cuz Peterson regardless of the goal today deserves to be cut or needs to take half of his pay to stick around