Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rumour - Ronaldinho to Galaxy

I know its prob already been speculated a dozen times but this may have some legs

http://www.mls-daily.com/2010/07/sou...th-galaxy.html

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whoa baby. That's pretty exciting and it does seem like it has legs this time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been hearing the very same rumblings for a bit now. We'll see if it comes to fruition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently he has a clause in his contract that allows him to leave in January on a free.

I would have questions about how seriously he would take MLS though.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC will be left in the dust in the coming years if this trend continues... with some MLS teams signing some really good star players, while us settling for just good enough ones...
    Plus it seems like Preki can not work with star players, and he does not like them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dont believe it yesterday he supposedly had a verbal agreement with flamengo in brazil but milan want him still

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read he was linked to Flamengo the other day.

*searches google*

Scratch that, apparently that's not the case.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/can...cqmU0GLXihxpZQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Much like the Henry scenario, this would be present a serious challenge for TFC and other MLS clubs from a competitive balance perspective, but it would also create tremendous exposure for the league as a whole. Eventually, other aging stars defecting from top tier European leagues might start considering the likes of Toronto, Chicago, New England, Philadelphia, etc. as New York and LA will eventually utilize all of their DP slots...

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Much like the Henry scenario, this would be present a serious challenge for TFC and other MLS clubs from a competitive balance perspective, but it would also create tremendous exposure for the league as a whole. Eventually, other aging stars defecting from top tier European leagues might start considering the likes of Toronto, Chicago, New England, Philadelphia, etc. as New York and LA will eventually utilize all of their DP slots...
    OR the aging stars could say, "NY and LA don't have any more slots and all the other cities over there are not ones I'd like to live in, so forget it."

That possibility worries me as much as the competitive unbalancing.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LesH View Post
    TFC will be left in the dust in the coming years if this trend continues... with some MLS teams signing some really good star players, while us settling for just good enough ones...
    Plus it seems like Preki can not work with star players, and he does not like them.
    We can't do anything about this. Toronto will never be a prime destination for really big stars in any global sport.

Preki doesn't like Prima Donnas, he doesn't mind quality. He also puts the team as a whole above individual players.

The fact is, a solid team can do better than a weak team with a couple of stars, even of Henry's or Ronaldinho's talents. What these star signings will mean is that the scalpers will start making money again.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that or develop great younger players. NY and LA will always have an advantage for the aging superstar but that doesnt mean we cant make up for it with young talent. It does mean our academy needs to work that much harder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    OR the aging stars could say, "NY and LA don't have any more slots and all the other cities over there are not ones I'd like to live in, so forget it."

That possibility worries me as much as the competitive unbalancing.
    Possibly, but that perception might change over time as more players from Europe are exposed to the other large markets in MLS by virtue of playing in the league...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    We can't do anything about this. Toronto will never be a prime destination for really big stars in any global sport.
    Maybe this would need a separate thread, but:

The only valid reason for this is the colder weather than in NY or LA.
    But other than that the world in general has no idea that the standard of living is clearly higher in Canada than in the USA, that Toronto is such a great cosmopolitan city with so many entertainment amenities where those star player could spend there moneys, that it's a very much safer (crime wise), cleaner, friendlier and better place to raise a family than major US cities.

The major problem I see here is that Toronto and Canada generally is not sold and marketed enough to the sports stars.

I'm saying all of the above like an European who lived 2 years in Toronto, and 8 years close to NY until now.
    Last edited by LesH; 07-16-2010 at 09:43 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    that or develop great younger players. NY and LA will always have an advantage for the aging superstar but that doesnt mean we cant make up for it with young talent. It does mean our academy needs to work that much harder.
    I would hope that it would inspire players that are of a lesser skill set to play and develop with more determination, let us not forget that it is anyone's game on any given night, many examples of that were evident at this year's World Cup, would you not agree.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The only major star we would even have a shot at getting would be someone like Alessandro Del Piero. Not just because the huge Italian population would welcome him with open arms, but people like Bettega (who also played for Juve) played here and enjoyed it. But I don't see that ever happening now. And ADP ain't getting any younger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Our problem with that is even there we are at a disadvantage. Let's say we want to be a Tampa Bay Devil Rays. A team who develops young players and then sell those players when they can't afford to keep them. Well it's not that easy for us to unload Canadian talent coming from the Academy either. We are atleast at a disadvantage there even with Montreal and Vancouver coming in to the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LesH View Post
    Maybe this would need a separate thread, but:

The only valid reason for this is the colder weather than in NY or LA.
    But other than that the world in general has no idea that the standard of living is clearly higher in Canada than in the USA, that Toronto is such a great cosmopolitan city with so many entertainment amenities where those star player could spend there moneys, that it's a very much safer (crime wise), cleaner, friendlier and better place to raise a family than major US cities.

The major problem I see here is that Toronto and Canada generally is not sold and marketed enough to the sports stars.

I'm saying all of the above like an European who lived 2 years in Toronto, and 8 years close to NY until now.
    I'm with you on this.
    Personally I think MLSE is not even pursuing the big stars, but only the after thoughts. Then you have peple posting on boards that TFC can't attract players is not because of MLSE, but because of cercumstances beyond TFC's control. That to me is a cop out. Letting MLSE off the hook too easy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto does not carry the same cache as LA or NY but it's a good city. In time other aging stars will look to North America as a place they can pad their retirement fund and enjoy being in the lime light a little longer. The question is whether MLSE will spend the money to get one of those aging stars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I heard rumours of him going to NYRB...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boban View Post
    I'm with you on this.
    Personally I think MLSE is not even pursuing the big stars, but only the after thoughts. Then you have peple posting on boards that TFC can't attract players is not because of MLSE, but because of cercumstances beyond TFC's control. That to me is a cop out. Letting MLSE off the hook too easy.
    Agreed. The Jays are the last team to sink real money into a team in this city and that was in 92-93. Need I say more? People should go through the lineup from top to bottom on that team and ask themselves whether starts really have a big problem coming to Toronto. Money talks, it's been proven in this city.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    Agreed. The Jays are the last team to sink real money into a team in this city and that was in 92-93. Need I say more? People should go through the lineup from top to bottom on that team and ask themselves whether starts really have a big problem coming to Toronto. Money talks, it's been proven in this city.
    Exactly. So you offer the DP some amount more than LA or NY. Fuck you're in the same league visiting the same cities. We have grass now. So what's the excuse now?!! Oh yeah, don't fit in the MLSE financial economic formula stress test. Whatever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These things are starting to piss me off. Let the other teams sign whoever the fuck they want. Let's focus more on OUR team. Too much attention is paid to what other teams do imo.

/end of rant

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    I would hope that it would inspire players that are of a lesser skill set to play and develop with more determination, let us not forget that it is anyone's game on any given night, many examples of that were evident at this year's World Cup, would you not agree.

yep and right now the parity is still strong

Our problem with that is even there we are at a disadvantage. Let's say we want to be a Tampa Bay Devil Rays. A team who develops young players and then sell those players when they can't afford to keep them. Well it's not that easy for us to unload Canadian talent coming from the Academy either. We are atleast at a disadvantage there even with Montreal and Vancouver coming in to the league.
    absolutely but its a matter of time, we wont see the effects of our academy for a bti but as long as we continue to pursue it, we will see the benefits

Quote Originally Posted by boban View Post
    I'm with you on this.
    Cmon, lets be realistic about this, you truly think that Ronaldinho would take Toronto over LA? Do you think hes even heard of Toronto or could find it on a map? Yes we have to pressure MLSE but we also have to be realistic about this and lets be honest here MLSE is never being let off the hook by this group here.

Quote Originally Posted by bowmanvillejim View Post
    Toronto does not carry the same cache as LA or NY but it's a good city. In time other aging stars will look to North America as a place they can pad their retirement fund and enjoy being in the lime light a little longer. The question is whether MLSE will spend the money to get one of those aging stars.
    they will but once again it comes down to Toronto and whether they are a good fit. Dont forget the cap is 2.6 and the money we take in is great and could be greater, i dont think they would shy away from signing a big money maker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I disagree with this part of your statement. The Leafs pre-cap were always among the top spending teams.

In capped league you can only spend so much. Capped leagues are a whole different game. Then it becomes more about managing players and building a team not about who has the biggest bank account.

MLSE has shown they are willing to spend the money (Leafs pre cap, adn bringing in the JDG). They just haven't spent on the right guys yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think an underestimated part of this is marketing beyond TFC. beckham joins LA, henry joins NYC, both cities with massive entertainment and/or advertising industries. they won't just make a big DP salary, they will rake in endorsements, private party appearances etc. i think this is where toronto will always fall short.

from an amenities perspective i think athletes have a good idea that toronto is a good place to be (look at all the NBA stars loving nights out in toronto), it's a question of total earning potential.

thats my take on it at least.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mmmikey View Post
    i think an underestimated part of this is marketing beyond TFC. beckham joins LA, henry joins NYC, both cities with massive entertainment and/or advertising industries. they won't just make a big DP salary, they will rake in endorsements, private party appearances etc. i think this is where toronto will always fall short.

from an amenities perspective i think athletes have a good idea that toronto is a good place to be (look at all the NBA stars loving nights out in toronto), it's a question of total earning potential.

thats my take on it at least.
    very good argument right here

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if mista pans out , (aka being able to tap a ball into the back of the net). All we will need is a setup striker (not chad). Chad has has a million plus chances , and he missed 900,000 of them. We need someone who can beat 2-3 players and deliver a quality ball for an easy tap in (pablo vitti esque) We have labrocca for long precise balls. If Chad can hang up the striker boots and play out wide, focusing on his delivery, pace and awareness rather then trying to score we may just have a patchwork of a team here. As for peterson I've seen a glimpse of his service and it has some serious pace (so do his legs). If only he can hold off pulling on that invisibility cloak....

I had a dream last night.......

--------Santos--Mista---Dero---------
    ----Peterson-----JDG-----Labrocca---
    --Usanov---Cann---Attakora---Gargan--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"look at all the NBA stars loving nights out in toronto"....but none of the spoiled whiny bitches want anything to do with the city as far as playing here...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC_Central View Post
    if mista pans out , (aka being able to tap a ball into the back of the net). All we will need is a setup striker (not chad). Chad has has a million plus chances , and he missed 900,000 of them. We need someone who can beat 2-3 players and deliver a quality ball for an easy tap in (pablo vitti esque) We have labrocca for long precise balls. If Chad can hang up the striker boots and play out wide, focusing on his delivery, pace and awareness rather then trying to score we may just have a patchwork of a team here. As for peterson I've seen a glimpse of his service and it has some serious pace (so do his legs). If only he can hold off pulling on that invisibility cloak....

I had a dream last night.......

--------Santos--Mista---Dero---------
    ----Peterson-----JDG-----Labrocca---
    --Usanov---Cann---Attakora---Gargan--
    Dero is wasted on the wing.....he strays offside FAR FAR too much....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stouffville_RPB View Post
    I disagree with this part of your statement. The Leafs pre-cap were always among the top spending teams.

In capped league you can only spend so much. Capped leagues are a whole different game. Then it becomes more about managing players and building a team not about who has the biggest bank account.

MLSE has shown they are willing to spend the money (Leafs pre cap, adn bringing in the JDG). They just haven't spent on the right guys yet.
    This is such a bullshit statement. Please......