Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Dichio 23:13 effect

I've noticed from the last few games I've seen on TV, that our boys seem to make a more concerted effort at scoring during the dichio chant. I think we've even had one scored during the dichio this season.

I've been trying to figure out why this is, it seemed unlikely to me that the players gain inspiration from our ritual worship of a player who is now on the coaching staff, and that most never played alongside.

I was pondering it and then it hit me.

The players hate the song, it pisses them off. I'll bet some of the guys dont even like our Danny, think he gets more praise than he deserves, the song grates their nerves and the only way they can get us to turn it off is to score a fucking goal so we cheer and go mental instead.

Seriously, I'm thinking that they have some kind of dressing room pact that whoever scores during the dichio gets his beers all payed up for a month or something, because whenever we hit 23:13, and Im watching, we start going on the offence at least until the dichio is over.

So my feeling is this. Fine, they dont like the chant and they want to score to shut us up. So sing it the fuck up, do it properly,in harmony and get on their fucking nerves, and if someone scores......give the dichio a rest, cheer for the goal and then instead of starting the dichio up again, sing for that player instead.

Probably not worthy of its own thread, but I make so little of them that you can deal with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just off hand, the goal you're thinking of is Labrocca's "wind aided" goal during the 24th minute against Chicago i think was the team.

obviously it was Dichio's spirit who knocked it in.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    do it properly,in harmony
    oh please oh please oh please do this

how shit this song sounds every week borders on being a war crime

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The reason they play harder is because the whole stadium gets on this chant even the casual fans.........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocktml View Post
    The reason they play harder is because the whole stadium gets on this chant even the casual fans.........
    The whole stadium used to get behind it, and we were a bit out of sync back then. Now, it sounds fucking terrible, and I give up trying to sing it after thirty seconds because its all over the place.

The stadium gets behind other chants such as Forza TO and the massive, much harder and it doesnt seem to impact our performance so much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol.... so should we sing it for 90 minutes?

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    lol.... so should we sing it for 90 minutes?

Just think of how badly we butcher that song,
    Now think of doing that for 90 minutes!

Yikes!

Although, we might actually fall in sync after about 30 mins.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The echo is what makes it sound out of sync at least from being in the north end it sounds out of sync with the south. I dont know how people in 112-113 fuck it up. But alas not my problem.

I really dont think they hate it, I think they want to be immortalized do just as Dichio has been. Its our first real history and something we rightly are following through game in and game out. Part of the lure of playing in TO is the supporters and, yeah to us its not up to par, but for MLS standards it still a pretty high bar we have set.

Maybe we are being a little to hard on being out of sync, but we do have some casual fans getting involved and developing a better culture.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J . View Post
    The echo is what makes it sound out of sync at least from being in the north end it sounds out of sync with the south. I dont know how people in 112-113 fuck it up. But alas not my problem.
    It's no echo - the north end and south end are quite out of synch. Sit in the middle of the field one day - it can be quite difficult to pick out any one song because of it...

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing that fucks up the dichio song is that for some reason, people have started doing the "hands up ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" for 10 seconds leading up to the song.

You can't say ohhhhhh as a lead up when the first line of the song is ohhhhhhh. both 113 and 112 do it. It totally screws things up.

I know the countdown is lame as hell - but at least it worked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would put down money that my initial hunch is true, and I bet its confirmed by a retired player one day in an informal interview.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_bhoy View Post
    You can't say ohhhhhh as a lead up when the first line of the song is ohhhhhhh. both 113 and 112 do it. It totally screws things up.

I know the countdown is lame as hell - but at least it worked.
    true enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe its time to stop living in the past and pay homage to those that are on the field. I know its not a popular position, but eventually we'll have to let it go.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

De Rosario works the exact same way as Danny Dichio.

Ohhhhhh De Rosariooooooo, De Rosariooo, De Rosariooo, De Rosarioooooooooooooo!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Maybe its time to stop living in the past and pay homage to those that are on the field. I know its not a popular position, but eventually we'll have to let it go.
    I can only assume your boardname is in reference to Man United, and most of THEIR supporters would rather die before the day they stop singing for Eric Cantona.

Case in point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCS1Oh7iTy0

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This is a pretty lame idea. I can't believe this thread even exists. Don't you people have anything better to do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You assume wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You assume wrong.
    Well I apologize then, but either way -- it's nice to build traditions at a club, especially one as young as ours. It'd be a shame to give up one of our only ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nah, no reason to let go of what is our most momentous moment in our short history.

We need to build tradition. This is a great tradition. Even in the worst game, it reminds me of what is good and right in our world.... the first ever goal!

We will never forget!!!

“Remember the name! Remember the date! The fans have gone wild, because this is the very first goal ever scored by Toronto FC in Major League Soccer! Number nine, six-foot-three, Danny Dichio!!!!”
    -- Nigel Reed, CBC
    May 12, 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Traditions are good and all, but you don't want them to seem forced.

I'm probably the wrong person to be having this conversation with. While I did appreciate Danny's contribution, I wholeheartedly disagree with the notion that he's a legend and worth comparing to the likes of Cantona.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ he just called you a Man U fan...hahah as a true Leeds UNITED fan, how does that feel?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Traditions are good and all, but you don't want them to seem forced.
    forced? FORCED?!

ARE YOU REDBULL IN DISGUISE?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dunkers View Post
    ^ he just called you a Man U fan...hahah as a true Leeds UNITED fan, how does that feel?
    lol.. at least there was a Cantona reference. Even though he ended up on the wrong side of the Pennines I can still appreciate.

And yes the chant does come across as forced when there's a big build up in the south corner only for it to die by 23:33

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    forced? FORCED?!

ARE YOU REDBULL IN DISGUISE?
    ya really.

unfortunate that dichio was pretty old when he started his legendary career for TFC. just because our team's history is young, doesn't mean we can't have our own legends

srsly. DeRo doesn't even come close to emotional impact he has on supporters like Danny D does. (and I highly doubt he ever will, barring he takes TFC to multiple MLS titles or tons of clutch goals)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    This is a pretty lame idea. I can't believe this thread even exists. Don't you people have anything better to do?
    This is a pretty lame post, I cant believe you even made it. Dont you have anything better to do yourself?

Oh right, your a web developer like me...... so no then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is how tradition starts, singing as we have.

Danny commented about it, if you recall. He said that it was an indication for him of the halfway point of the half. I'd expect a few players to think the same.

I'd suspect that most players give a little more when they hear it. Not out of love or hate, but just because the noise and energy levels build up when this is sung. We've seen it before (and many players and coaches have commented on this in the past, here and in other places) that energy from the crowd (or lack thereof) gets transposed onto the players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm open to the suggestion that they might use the Dichio as a signal for a synchronised change in the tactical approach, but I'm more inclined to believe the players are trying to silence it.

Either way, they do press, when the dichio starts.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but I'm more inclined to believe the players are trying to silence it.

where exactly did you find out that "The players hate the song, it pisses them off."

unless that can be proven, the rest is all speculation.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This is a pretty lame post, I cant believe you even made it. Dont you have anything better to do yourself?

Oh right, your a web developer like me...... so no then.
    But honestly. This topic has been talked about to death. Use the search feature and re-read all of the exact same discussions surrounding this very topic. Why bring it up again? and with such an odd interpretation as to why the players happen to play better at that time.

Could it be because they are warmed up at that time, have figured out how they will play against their opponent and are starting to make legitimate pushes towards the net?

That would be a better argument than "Oh shit, there;s that danny dichio song, I need to take it up a notch to distract them from singing it"

and I'm not a developer, I'm a designer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post

where exactly did you find out that "The players hate the song, it pisses them off."

unless that can be proven, the rest is all speculation.
    I thought it was clear I was speculating.

And I dont think its a conspiracy, I think its positive.