Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post
    Red Bull has all ready stated they wanted a second NY team and have given Garber the go ahead to make the deal. Remember they are owned by people who understand the game and realize how big a derby could be.
    They have? This is news to me.

The prospective revenue from a derby played twice a season doesn't add up to the potential lose of revenue that could be attributed to the placement of another club in the area.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 07-15-2010 at 06:38 AM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post

The prospective revenue from a derby played twice a season doesn't add up to the potential lose of revenue that could be attributed to the placement of another club in the area.
    If I knew where to look I'd find the article/interview for you but Garber basically explained the Red Bull ownership understood derbies and supported the new team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post

Maybe they've actually looked at US college sports and seen how much a rivalry raises the profiles (and attendance) of both teams involved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post
    If I knew where to look I'd find the article/interview for you but Garber basically explained the Red Bull ownership understood derbies and supported the new team.
    [/quote]

It's okay. I wasn't doubting you, it was just something I had never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Maybe they've actually looked at US college sports and seen how much a rivalry raises the profiles (and attendance) of both teams involved.
    Yes, they do. But comparing pro sport teams and college teams in this context is an apples to oranges sorta thing.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/0...n-a-s-l-in-13/

the cosmos are back, in POG form!
    seriously though, they're coming back in 2013 to the NASL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post

What's the point?

The Cosmos would have been a tough sell as the second team in the region to begin with, but as a second tier club?

I don't think there's a chance it will succeed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    What's the point?

The Cosmos would have been a tough sell as the second team in the region to begin with, but as a second tier club?

I don't think there's a chance it will succeed.
    i think it'll be an easier sell to have a team already in place, but you'll be hard up to find stars willing to make the journey to play in a second (third?) division club. time will tell i guess, but i wouldnt at all be surprised to see them in the MLS next season or the one after.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I dunno. I like it.

I think the brand resonates enough that they'll draw decent numbers.

With the mention of the revival of old NASL rivalries with the Rowdies and Strikers, I wonder if this is a step along the path toward a promotion / relegation system.

I think the Cosmos will give the NASL more credibility as a second tier league, and overall interest will rise.
    Last edited by TOBOR !; 07-12-2012 at 02:35 PM.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it would make more sense to just grant the NY Cosmos an expansion club in MLS right off the bat.

Then again, perhaps there were issues garnering enough interest from investors to finance the purchase of an expansion team and an arena at the MLS level.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it would make more sense to just grant the NY Cosmos an expansion club in MLS right off the bat.

Then again, perhaps there were issues garnering enough interest from investors to finance the purchase of an expansion team and an arena at the MLS level.
    well you have to remember, the expansion fee is somewhere up around $75 million. that's a good chunk of change and up by a fuckton after montreals entry. i think they expected the cosmos entry (hence the hike), because if they had to sell a club to investors, it'd be that one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hofstra. Jesus. They will be lucky if they draw 2,000 people there.

How do you think an NASL team in Toronto, let's call them the Blizzard, would do playing at Durham College in Whitby?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post

Now this is fucking hilarious! Did anyone happen to read the details in the article about where they intend to play? Hofstra University in Hempstead is four times the distance from Manhattan than Harrison NJ! So not only will this club begin playing in the tier below MLS, they won't even be based in New York City.

This team is nothing but all hype and no substance. It's a cardboard club. Perhaps someone with their shit together can make a second New York MLS team a reality, but I don't think that's gonna happen anytime soon.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 07-13-2012 at 12:18 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brooklyn is getting the nets, thanks to Russian oil money.

I wonder if he would be interested in an MLS team as well?

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

How do you think an NASL team in Toronto, let's call them the Blizzard, would do playing at Durham College in Whitby?
    I`d support them. Better than the shite I`m used to.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

LOL. In all seriousness, I would love to see Hamilton or Mississauga get a NASL team. Perhaps Mississauga wouldn't work because people there identify with Toronto but I think Hamilton is an option. I've heard whispers over the years of Bob Young and the new PanAm stadium but we'll just have to wait and see. That would be a hilarious road trip; 2000 Hamilton fans, 10000 TFC fans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't understand why any prospective investors would have any faith whatsoever in adding a second franchise to a city that doesn't support it's existing team and can't even come close to selling out it's brand new state of the art stadium even with Thiery Henry on the horizon...
    For people who live in Manhattan, the Bronx, Brooklyn, or Queens (I honestly have no idea about Staten Island), a trip to Harrison, NJ, accessible by transit or not, is barely thinkable (37 mins drive, longer considering traffic, and nearly 2 hours by transit, from Queens). Especially for a team with little history and many losing seasons in a relatively unpopular league in the region. We're talking about a city in which many people don't even leave a twenty block radius of where they live. The Giants and Jets are a whole other story, and also attract far more fans from the area because it's the NFL. I don't doubt for a second that a team located in Queens will do better (or at least as well, which is still sustainable for MLS) attendance-wise than a team located in Harrison, NJ, even if the team in Queens has nobody like Henry. Basically, the Red Bulls are a de facto New Jersey team, not a New York team. There's more than enough population in that market to find 18-20,000 to come out to an MLS game in the city, maybe more.

I think Garber said that the MLS thinks the next expansion team will be a New York team in Flushing, Queens. I don't know what the deal is with this NASL team and the Cosmos name right now, but I doubt it has anything to do with what Garber was talking about.
    Last edited by Kilgore Trout; 07-14-2012 at 09:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The NY Mets organization at one point were looking into a franchise in Queens, What ever happened to this story???

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2010...rber-red-bulls

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cosmos are to play at Hofstra in 2013

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/soccer...zAL8STxsOvNIeK

Last edited by GabrielHurl; 09-28-2012 at 08:40 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    Cosmos are to play at Hofstra in 2013

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/soccer...zAL8STxsOvNIeK

Looks good. People who have never lived in NYC can't understand what a terrible location Harrison New Freaking Jersey is. It's worse than Newark. People in New Jersey even think it's far. People in Manhattan think it's on the moon. There is a reason why the Nets moved from New Jersey to Brooklyn. There is a reason why the Rangers sell out every game and why the Devils draw 9K. Imagine putting an NFL team in London called the London Gatorade's and have them play in Wales.
    Harrison NJ is not New York City. PERIOD. Long Island is more NYC than anywhere in New Jersey. It's a completely different market.

We have to be careful in running down other markets or people are going to start wondering when Toronto is going to get a MLS franchise. Well I already have...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Brooklyn is getting the nets, thanks to Russian oil money.

I wonder if he would be interested in an MLS team as well?
    Perhaps Bellgers would consider selling TFC to him...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

parts of NY City like Manhatten and staten Island can be closer to New York Red Bulls arena in NJ then they are to parts of Queens and Brooklyn. However i do have no doudt that a team will always do better in a place like Queens, Brooklyn or The Bronx. Mainly because No matter where in New York City you are the city is very,very dense populated compared to that of NJ. And New York is the place to be. NJ is not.

population:
    Queens 2.2 million
    Brooklyn 2.5 million
    Bronx 1.4 million
    Manhatten 1.6 million
    Staten Islan 470,000

Closest and biggest cities to Red Bull Arena on the Jersey side of the river:
    Newark - 277,000
    Jersey City -247,000

The toughest part tho is always finding empty land. Manhatten has no space left. Queens and Broklyn maybe a few areas as a possability but not many options. If New York ever got a team tho i would like them to do it right, in a nice stadium like Red Bull arena. Then can have a rival NY vs NJ.
    Last edited by james; 10-12-2012 at 02:09 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

eh, i was two years off.
    good to know they're not rushing it though.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was an article about this on the MLS website yesterday:

MLS officials discuss NYC expansion plans, eye on 2016

Lots of comments from around the US under the article -- people upset that NY is getting a 2nd team, before certain other cities get one.

My comment was:

I wish they would put a second soccer team in Toronto.
    And shut the first one down.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 10-11-2012 at 05:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if they get a team are they going to be called Cosmos?

If they get a 2nd team do you guys want them to be called Cosmos?? personally i do not. That team died years agao. And some reason when i here Cosmos i think of the league that failed years ago. They are not like Seattle Sounders,Montreal Impact, Vancouver Whitecaps or Portland Timbers who kept there names alive because they continued to play in lower leagues all these years using the same names and moved up to MLS continuing to use there old names. Cosmos did not do that.I think start fresh, show them a team with a name and stadium to show they are here for the long run this time.

The 1 thing that may worry me however is if New York get a team in Queens i think it will do well, but does that mean New Red Bulls attendence will go down? if there attedence drops i don't see how they could survie. Be ashame with such a nice stadium.

If New York gets a team in Queens should Red Bulls still claim to be NY Red Bulls or changed to New Jersey Red Bulls??
    Last edited by james; 10-12-2012 at 01:59 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If NY gets another team in 2016 they'll just move the Cosmos up from NASL.