Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James Oliphant View Post
    My bad...I was thinking of last year's number, which of course was halved because he joined us in the summer.
    Cheers!

Those were some pretty pricey punches, eh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indeed.

Last, but not least, Happy Canada Day!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am less concerned about JDG's salary...the money is not coming out of my pocket...his hit to the salary cap is 400K...is he worth 400K...yes...do I give a rats ass that MLSE is paying him more...nope. Not to mention that they have 2 more DP slots that they have yet to utilize.

Btw...that was a horrible game yesterday...I didnt think we were every close to scoring really in the first half.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't think either team was interested in playing attacking football until the waved off goal in the second half. I didn't think there was much in the way of a run of play, either. Toronto seemed to come alive after the Houston goal. Maybe because they went to a three forward set up. Barrett was okay, but twice had opportunities, one in the first half and one in the second, where he was one on one with the keeper and never got a shot off. You just don't have time for the perfect shot!

JDG seemed to have another off day, and I don't know if it was just me, or the pitch, or what, but didn't it seem like DeRo spent a lot of time on the ground yesterday?

Props to Gargan for the goal, and for the celebration that followed. Forget the yellow that followed. MLS needs to understand that it needs personalities!

A draw was probably a fair result for that. It looked like both teams were playing for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DeGuz is still one yellow away from missing another game....is that correct?
    So there is a good chance he'll miss another game in the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saric should be in trouble for coming on to the pitch while he was a sub. While the ref didn't call it, it wouldn't surprise me that he receives a little "supplementary discipline" from the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

during the melee, Saric came running onto the field to join in. i wouldnt be surprised if he gets a fine from the league. subs should not be coming onto the field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dan Gargan....Mighty Pirate!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twistedchinaman View Post
    It's pretty hard to get me that riled up about a person -- but Nick Garcia somehow makes my blood boil every time I see his face or hear his name.

Can someone tell me ONE reason why I should forgive this guy? Ever?
    You need to see a shrink my friend, you've got a problem.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SteeltownBhoy View Post
    Plus Sanyang takes up an international spot. Why Matheson or Lindsey have not been called up is beyond me.

2 Domestic players that I believe could be more useful then Sanyang or Ibby for that matter.

if I'm not mistaken, with the rule change, 1 Academy signing doesn't count against the cap or roster spot as they become Gen Adidas, but I could be wrong on that one.
    im starting to wonder if they are going to hold off until vancouver has done the draft so that we keep them for ourselves and they dont steal our young canadian talent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    im starting to wonder if they are going to hold off until vancouver has done the draft so that we keep them for ourselves and they dont steal our young canadian talent
    Haven't thought about it that way but it makes a lot of sense if this was the situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you really think that we've got young Canadian talent that is likely to be in a starting position on any team in the league within 3 years? Matheson or Lindsey haven't been called up because they will play where they are, but they aren't likely to displace anyone off our current roster. Are they good players? Yes. Are they good enough to play in MLS today? Not yet. Will they be starters in MLS within 3 years? Odds are pretty heavily against it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know I'm going to get flamed for this but I'm going to say it anyways.

The obvious problem is that TFC has no real finisher. Barrett misses a LOT and OBW, is well OBW.
    Last year I was wondering what the big deal about OBW was and gave him the benefit of the doubt because of his injury. This year he's been horrible. Not only does he not really do much, but he's also horribly slow and unlike Barrett, OBW seems to not really put forth much effort. I'd MUCH rather have Ali G than OBW. Bull in the china shop did more in his limited time here. But alas...
    If TFC is only keeping OBW around because their is A) no 1 else and/or B)takes up domestic spot, Mo better get someone in here FAST.

As for JDG, he seems to be coming out so to speak. He was never going to be a goal scorer. Seemed to me from watching the game the originally went over to break up the fight but sorta missed the guy. Other dude gets pissed and then well you have the rest...
    Last edited by SilverSamurai; 07-02-2010 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Because I can't write a coherent sentence... :p

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSamurai View Post
    I know I'm going to get flamed for this but I'm going to say it anyways.

The obvious problem is that TFC has no real finisher. Barrett misses a LOT and OBW, is well OBW.
    Last year I was wondering what the big deal about OBW was and gave him the benefit of the doubt because of his injury. This year he's been horrible. Not only does he not really do much, but he's also horribly slow and unlike Barrett, seems to not really put forth much effort. I'd MUCH rather have Ali G than OBW. Bull in the china shop did more in his limited time here. But alas...
    If TFC is only keeping OBW around because their is A) no 1 else and/or B)takes up domestic spot, Mo better get someone in here FAST.

As for JDG, he seems to be coming out so to speak. He was never going to be a goal scorer. Seemed to me from watching the game the originally went over to break up the fight but sorta missed the guy. Other dude gets pissed and then well you have the rest...
    You lost me there (bolded txt)...

Does Barrett have trouble finishing -yes...

Does Barret 'not put in effort' - oh hells no...

I think the only thing that has saved his roster spot is his work ethic. Preki loves guys who go hard and give 110% at every chance, and Barrett does that 100% of the time...

Saying he doesn't finish his chances - Fact...

Saying he doesn't put in the effort - Is just plain stupid!

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    You lost me there (bolded txt)...

Does Barrett have trouble finishing -yes...

Does Barret 'not put in effort' - oh hells no...

I think the only thing that has saved his roster spot is his work ethic. Preki loves guys who go hard and give 110% at every chance, and Barrett does that 100% of the time...

Saying he doesn't finish his chances - Fact...

Saying he doesn't put in the effort - Is just plain stupid!

Carts...
    I need coffee. lol
    I meant to say. Barrett hustles and at least tries. He has really good work ethic.

OBW, jogs like he's out for a stroll 90% of the time...

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LesH View Post
    In the last 3 home games from 9 possible points we got 3, and all 3 teams we played were ripe to get beaten.
    Sorry, but this is an absolute and total fail.

We are now 2 point away to be considered a totally average team (the difference between points won outside and points lost at home = -2).
    You keep using this equation, and it's an interesting one, but let's be fair here, it's not about being totally average.

what you call average, would see us end up with 45 points, which is well above average in this league. It's a good total to aim for, would pretty much guarantee playoffs and is something we can hopefully get, but it's a bit unfair to hold that up as "average".

the game started inauspiciously when the poutine wagon didn't show up until about 5 minuites before kickoff for some reason. I figured I'd go back to the chip butty, but that was crap beccause they buttered the outside of the bread as well, which is just ridiculous. That was the first I've had this year, is that how they're doing them now? or was it just a mistake by whichever tool was making it?

anyway, not the greatest game, especially in the first half. once again we improved when we had two +De Ro up front. Hopefully when Mista can play, we'll consistently go with him and Barrett. Sanyang's touch and passing actually seems to be getting worse. Great corner from Ibbe, and very happy for gargan to get the goal, good for him.

Still haven't actually watched ay kind of replay of the scuffle, but good to see de guzman getting in there.

all in all, disappointing again though, three straight home games with very few chances created.
    Last edited by Darlofletch; 07-02-2010 at 10:54 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few thoughts on the game:

1. The ref was fucking terrible! By calling almost no fouls on either team for so long, he let the game get way out of hand.

2. We could have won that game if Barrett buried any one of the chances he missed. This really illustrates how badly we still need another striker

3. When the team decided to play a more attacking and offensive style near the end of the game, we started to really dominate. Maybe Preki should take note of that and start letting TFC play a more offensive style more often instead of just using it as a last resort

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the wife and I flew out for our first live game -- thanks Eugene, you rock -- and had a great time, even though we played like crap.

It's funny how amplified things seem in first person.

-- Gargan didn't just score the goal, he was one of the only consistent performers on the pitch, along with Cann and Attakora.

-- Garcia was woefully slow, and that tackle.. how did he not get a red? His feet were four feet apart!

-- DeRo and DeGuzman were both playing well.

Our biggest issue here was an absolute lack of patience in buildup. There seems to be so much desire to channel the ball to Julian or DeRo that we ignored the wings pretty much entirely for the first half and had no possession as a result.

That's probably why Preki brought in OB White in the second half.

-- Barrett's work ethic is great, but his positioning is just absolute shit. Brian Ching was giving a masterclass in forward movement at the other end. Even OB White, though not well aware enough of how the play behind was unfolding, was constantly shifting and drifting, whereas Barrett didn't even close up the space between himself and his strike partner when the ball was in the opposite field.

Maybe he was having an off game, but if people want to know why his shooting efficacy is so low, it's because he never moves off the outside shoulder of his defender, so he never gets an inside angle to shoot.

Our movement was just shit. We were so concerned with shape, and not giving anything up, that there was no supporting movement off the ball by half out attackers.

Great time at the game. Bloody expensive beer though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Barrett's problem is consistency. You couldnt trust him to find the net if it was the size of the south end. He hesitates and fluffs it too often. When he scores he's a hero because he works hard for his goals, but when he doesnt score it really is because his reflexes, accuracy and decision making are poor.
    I like him, but we need better options at that kind of money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Well the wife and I flew out for our first live game -- thanks Eugene, you rock -- and had a great time, even though we played like crap.

It's funny how amplified things seem in first person.

-- Gargan didn't just score the goal, he was one of the only consistent performers on the pitch, along with Cann and Attakora.

-- Garcia was woefully slow, and that tackle.. how did he not get a red? His feet were four feet apart!

-- DeRo and DeGuzman were both playing well.

Our biggest issue here was an absolute lack of patience in buildup. There seems to be so much desire to channel the ball to Julian or DeRo that we ignored the wings pretty much entirely for the first half and had no possession as a result.

That's probably why Preki brought in OB White in the second half.

-- Barrett's work ethic is great, but his positioning is just absolute shit. Brian Ching was giving a masterclass in forward movement at the other end. Even OB White, though not well aware enough of how the play behind was unfolding, was constantly shifting and drifting, whereas Barrett didn't even close up the space between himself and his strike partner when the ball was in the opposite field.

Maybe he was having an off game, but if people want to know why his shooting efficacy is so low, it's because he never moves off the outside shoulder of his defender, so he never gets an inside angle to shoot.

Our movement was just shit. We were so concerned with shape, and not giving anything up, that there was no supporting movement off the ball by half out attackers.

Great time at the game. Bloody expensive beer though.
    Really? your first time at BMO?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^
    Jeremy's from...Edmonton? I wanna say Edmonton...

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote=twistedchinaman;1079515]Word association time!

Sanyang: idiot

As everyone here knows, Sanyang is not only one of my fav players on the team, but he is also a very good friend of mine. I sent him a text last night and asked him wtf happened and why he got the red card.

The Houston guy started getting mouthy with him and as they went for the play he pushed Sanyang, ufortunately, the ref didn't see that, however, he did see Sanyang push him back which resulted in a red card.

I don't know if you guys are watching the same game I am. He's a great player and has proved himself in this season by proving himself very well. He is not only improving, he is helping the team go forward. I can understand exactly why Preki likes him so much. He has extreme future potential and is still young.

Disagree all you want... I watch him play. I've seen his talents and seen him help my dad coach. He knows his game and he's only 18... 19 on August 1st

He is just as good if not better then JDG. No question!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sanyang was partially at fault for Houston's goal but the biggest error by far was Preki. Every organized and smart team has a player on the far post when defending corners. That would have been an easy clearance that gives TFC two more points. WTF was Garcia playing full-back? He doesn't have the speed or the brain to deal with wingers. I will give Preki one good comment. Dwayne(offside)De-Ro was moving laterally upfront and making proper technical diagonal runs while staying onside. Obviously Preki has be coaching De-Ro on how to play as a striker and insisting that he not have his normal 4 offsides per game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote=FootieChick;1080164]
    Word association time!

As everyone here knows, Sanyang is not only one of my fav players on the team, but he is also a very good friend of mine. I sent him a text last night and asked him wtf happened and why he got the red card.

The Houston guy started getting mouthy with him and as they went for the play he pushed Sanyang, ufortunately, the ref didn't see that, however, he did see Sanyang push him back which resulted in a red card.

I don't know if you guys are watching the same game I am. He's a great player and has proved himself in this season by proving himself very well. He is not only improving, he is helping the team go forward. I can understand exactly why Preki likes him so much. He has extreme future potential and is still young.

Disagree all you want... I watch him play. I've seen his talents and seen him help my dad coach. He knows his game and he's only 18... 19 on August 1st

Can I have whatever you're drinking please?

I won't blame Sanyang for the result yesterday, even the red card. Sure it wasn't the smartest thing but he's still young. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
    But as good as JDG? No way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    You're probably bang on when it comes to Preki's thinking... He's a hardcore coach (which I like) and we all saw him (on the broadcast) give it to Sanyang when he was sent off late....

Pach - I don't disagree with you that a leader, a DP, and big name player must be diciplned, must be "above the bullshit"... I say I'm glad to see it b/c when JDG was signed I thought he 'didn't care' and at least his emotion (even though it wasn't directed in the right way) shows he does care...

Now, as for the "hockey analogy" I gotta call a penalty... From a guy who played 5-seasons in junior puck, and coached for another 12-years in jr, anytime a big name, star player jumps in for a young kid is not only a good thing - WE LOVE IT..!!! Go get'em kid!!!

Carts...
    Just to clarify though as far as the hockey analogy is concerned. 1 on 1 fighting is fine, what will never fly in hockey is when a third person jumps into a fight to gang up on the 1 guy. That's what JDG did.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

do we still have people defending Barrett or can we safely say everyone has him on the next ship outta here? He scores 2 , he slumps for 10 games..... He has done this CONSISTENTLY throught his career.

Here's some food for thought. How many games has Chad cost this team? Just to make it interesting, lets see how many games has he cost this team the game. With 2 or more GOOD scoring chances? anyone? Please by all means rush to this sorry excuse for a striker's defense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote=FootieChick;1080164]
    Word association time!

Your judgement is clouded. He is one of the worst passers on TFC...if not the league. He is relatively solid defensively...cost us a goal mind you last night...but is a horrible ball distibutor, has little vision...lets hope he develops but he is a very imperfect player right now...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    Gargan is definitely becoming one of my all time favourite TFC players. He works hard, plays hard, his throw ins are as good as Serioux's and he scored a great and needed goal.

not to mention the pure look of glee he had on his face during the scuffle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indeed.

Last, but not least, Happy Canada Day!

by the way, thats my Canadian flag. looks great

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^
    Jeremy's from...Edmonton? I wanna say Edmonton...
    Yep.