Thread: Empire Field

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Empire Field

Here is a good look at where the whitecaps will start their 2011 MLS season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qvP9...layer_embedded

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will their be throwball lines though?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not bad for a shoe-string budget. Too bad the Whitecaps have a lease at BC Place Stadium, though. Once the Lions leave Empire Field, the Whitecaps could've moved the ends of the stadium in and converted the playing surface to natural grass. A SSS could've been had for very cheap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. Looks very impressive. Amazing that was built in mere months.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

aarrrrggghhhh! Pointyball lines!!!!!!!!!!
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aside from the handegg lines it looks great.

As hollow a sentiment as it may be, I would go to Argo games if they played a stadium like that.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, I've been out of touch lately... I didn't even realize they were building that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At first glance you would think that it would be a no-brainer to turn Empire into a SSS, but from my discussions with the BC Lions I believe there are a few reasons why the Whitcaps chose not stay. The stadium isn't in the downtown core. Parking is limited in the area and spectators would need to bus there. This usually isn't a problem in Van, but it's not easily accessable. The restaurants and bars spectators are used to around BC place really don't exist in the area. Finally, it doesn't hold the same cache as playing downtown in a retractable roof stadium.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by magicfro View Post
    At first glance you would think that it would be a no-brainer to turn Empire into a SSS, but from my discussions with the BC Lions I believe there are a few reasons why the Whitcaps chose not stay. The stadium isn't in the downtown core. Parking is limited in the area and spectators would need to bus there. This usually isn't a problem in Van, but it's not easily accessable. The restaurants and bars spectators are used to around BC place really don't exist in the area. Finally, it doesn't hold the same cache as playing downtown in a retractable roof stadium.
    Nailed it.

Look at a map, and you can see...Empire Fields is hella far away from downtown, nowhere near the Skytrain.
    Still possibly the only known RPB to appear on Masterchef Canada.
    (I think?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto Ruffrider View Post
    Not bad for a shoe-string budget. Too bad the Whitecaps have a lease at BC Place Stadium, though. Once the Lions leave Empire Field, the Whitecaps could've moved the ends of the stadium in and converted the playing surface to natural grass. A SSS could've been had for very cheap.
    they can't use that stadium beyond the short period... it's all scaffolding underneath... meant to be temporary. i believe the washrooms and stuff are just in portable type buildings around the site.