Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Does BMO Field, TFC and the MLS have rules regarding the vuvuzela horn

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/worldcup/article/823153--kelly-the-horn-heard-around-the-world?bn=1

I am just curious if the vuvuzela horn can be used at BMO and other MLS Stadiums, man can you hear it in full force on the World Cup Broadcasts.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i read somewhere they were banned in MLS in the late 90's

they were having the "buzzing" problems in LA and Houston, i think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RPBLondon View Post
    i read somewhere they were banned in MLS in the late 90's
    And thank God for that!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they'd use the things appropriately, instead of droning on from beginning to end ...

It was quite disappointing listening to the England match ... you could hear the England supporters singing at times, but those horns just spoil the whole thing..

I can only come to the conclusions that South Africans don't have much singing ability!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you could hear the mexicans fighting the horns with there ole's...didnt last very long, but the horns gotta go.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vuvuzela = bad

Not in our house!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.torontofc.ca/prohibited-items

For the safety and security of our fans, the following is not permitted inside BMO Field:
    • Umbrellas (Fans are encouraged to bring raincoats or ponchos for inclement weather.)
    • Outside food & beverage of any kind
    • Metal or glass containers of any kind
    • Backpacks and large bags over 14x14x6 inches (subject to search)
    • Large flags, banners and drums
    • Noisemakers (air horns, whistles, cowbells, horns, etc.)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    If they'd use the things appropriately, instead of droning on from beginning to end ...

It was quite disappointing listening to the England match ... you could hear the England supporters singing at times, but those horns just spoil the whole thing..

I can only come to the conclusions that South Africans don't have much singing ability!
    Appropriate use? I can't imagine. I can make that noise with my voice but why would I want to?

There was moments in the England match I heard a trumpet trying to break the monotony but to no avail.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could see some company trying to do a deal with the MLS to bring them to North America by bringing the sensation of the World Cup to the western world.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cuecas_red View Post
    For the safety and security of our fans, the following is not permitted inside BMO Field:
    Umbrellas (Fans are encouraged to bring raincoats or ponchos for inclement weather.)
    Outside food & beverage of any kind
    Metal or glass containers of any kind
    Backpacks and large bags over 14x14x6 inches (subject to search)
    Large flags, banners and drums
    Noisemakers (air horns, whistles, cowbells, horns, etc.)

You'll notice flags, banners and drums too, no doubt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cuecas_red View Post
    THANK YOU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cowbells are banned? grrr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drewski View Post
    So much for getting Blue Oyster Cult to play at halftime.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's why I have a 'jam block'.

and the security in 112 even told me that they'd turn a blind eye to a real cowbell.... gotta love those guys!
    (and no... I have no plans to bring in a real cowbell)
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Guys...I gotta fever...and the only cure...is more cowbell at BMO

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Twice I've seen people with horns getting kicked out by security. I've felt thankful both times.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vuvuzela horns have nothing on TRN.

EDIT - only just realised that the rules actually ban "large ... drums". Even if you read the rules down to mean large drums and not just drums, that would still count. How did I never catch this before? They bring in a friggin' steel drum set every game. Time to get back in touch with the FO...
    Last edited by Hitcho; 06-14-2010 at 08:40 AM.
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

horns could be good if used the same way the drums are, and security can try to kick someone out but real someone could say kick the poeple out with drums & Large flags so ....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not a fan of the VuVus.
    but it is what they do over there.
    they might think our singing and chants are silly.
    I remember after the confed cup, they talked about banning them...but it's party of the soccer culture there, and the point of moving the WC host around, is to see how other places treat futbol.

Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The VuVu's are interesting but just too prevelant. They are never quiet and unfortunately the majority of them seem to be in one key or note range.
    The result is simply a wall of "background noise" with little variation like the singing of many voices.

Thank goodness for the confed cup being played before the World Cup. It gave the broadcasters a chance to experiment with dampening the crowd noise so we could still hear them a bit but without that persistent, droning, aggravating, buzzing.

I can't imagine how annoying it would be to be subjected to them for a full 90.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    I'm not a fan of the VuVus.
    but it is what they do over there.
    they might think our singing and chants are silly.
    I remember after the confed cup, they talked about banning them...but it's party of the soccer culture there, and the point of moving the WC host around, is to see how other places treat futbol.
    This.

I think people forget that this is a global game and we're supposed to treat each region and culture with the respect we would like us to be treated with. Even if we don't understand or like the way other cultures do it.

I personally don't like the Vuvuzelas either, but I think I would be upset if they banned them. They might as well ban singing and banners at BMO Field as well too. It would be just as fair.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ yeah I would agree with Wags and Roogs on the horns for the WC. That's local culture, and who are we to complain about it when the WC is being hosted there?

Having said that, I would be pissed if they appeared at BMO Field the way they have in the WC. Although at least it would help drown out the accursed TRN noise.
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As annoying as the vuvuzelas are I actually could see a big positive for them at TFC games if they can drown out Jerry Dobson on any sportsnet telecast...

And a MUCH bigger positive would be to allow them to every hockey game Pierre Mcguire works!!!

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bet we're not just hearing the South Africans... I wouldn't be surprised if the vuvuzelas are handed out like thundersticks, and you've got faces from every visiting nation blowing away into those damn things.

That said, they don't bother me at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, last year at a game vs Chicago Fire I attended with my son, who brought his, I was told by security that I had to check it in at their office and pick it up after the game. A "brit" who was visiting and sitting near us was bemused by this and thought it rather excessive and "silly" and couldn't understand it as he said he brings his along when he attends a game back in England.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was at BMO when a guy was caught with an air horn behind me. When he blew it the first time, I nearly had a heart attack since it was so unexpected. Security came to him immediately. They didn't confiscate it but warned him and he didn't use it again.

I don't want cowbells either. The guy at Portsmouth who rings the bells makes watching those games on TV so annoying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

are they really part of the culture there though? from what I've read, they've only become somewhat common in the last decade (at the longest).

but hey, if its a culture thing, then I guess streamers will be allowed in Rio, hooliganism will be allowed in England* and indifference will be allowed in the US*

*if they get it

EDIT: and at 127db, that's a health hazard by any stretch when played constantly for a full game

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100607/...world_vuvuzela
    Last edited by drewski; 06-14-2010 at 10:05 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    This.

I think people forget that this is a global game and we're supposed to treat each region and culture with the respect we would like us to be treated with. Even if we don't understand or like the way other cultures do it.

I personally don't like the Vuvuzelas either, but I think I would be upset if they banned them. They might as well ban singing and banners at BMO Field as well too. It would be just as fair.
    The problem is that Vuvuzelas are just too loud. If you have a few people blowing Vuvuzelas, suddenly you can't hear anyone else in the stadium. That's an important point considering the world cup isn't supposed to be about South Africa only, it's supposed to be an exhibition of the whole soccer(football) world. You have traveling fans from other nations that don't have a hope in the world of bringing us some good atmosphere, because those damned horns never stop. It's not a question of us trying to instill our ways on them, rather, they are instilling their ways on every other country in the world (since finding atmosphere generated by any other country is pretty much impossible at this point).

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then more international visitors should have bought up tickets. The locals weren't buying until FIFA got desperate and discounted them for the locals.

If a South African goes to a game, he does what a South African does at the game. It's not about him "instilling" his ways on us, he is in his home country doing what they do in that country. If you want to see a more "European" or "western" fan experience, then they should have been the ones that showed up. Lord knows they were given every opportunity to do so. Or simply held the World Cup in a country where the traditions suit your style more.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitcho View Post
    Vuvuzela horns have nothing on TRN.

EDIT - only just realised that the rules actually ban "large ... drums". Even if you read the rules down to mean large drums and not just drums, that would still count. How did I never catch this before? They bring in a friggin' steel drum set every game. Time to get back in touch with the FO...
    So what you're saying is you want to get drums banned from supporters sections?
    interesting.