Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Gixmo

Quote Originally Posted by FootieChick View Post
    I know for a fact that Cronin was traded to the KC Wizards. I had a convo with one of the players, it happened Sat morning. Either way, he didn't know who he was traded for but I'm sure we will soon find out.
    So, Which is it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This could also be a prelude to other moves, if of course it happens. I speculated previously that DeRo could be offered a DP contract to free up some additional monies to sign other players. A Cronin move could in concert with a DeRo DP contract,(if we get some significant allocation or cap dollars from whomever we trade Cronin to) make the process of addition by subtraction to the roster that much easier.

The discussion here is definitely interesting, but I am a bit of a skeptic about rumours like this. I will believe it when I see the news release from the club.
    Last edited by bgnewf; 06-14-2010 at 03:52 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bgnewf View Post
    I speculated previously that DeRo could be offered a DP contract to free up some additional monies to sign other players.
    And about 50 people speculated it before you, several months ago. I believe Shaugno was one of the early ones on that. Credit where due, dude.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ugh. that's all I have to say on the matter.

I loved Sam Cronin
    Bite me.

I was there - Montreal 18/6/09 - 6-1 baby!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CoachGT View Post
    They currently have 22 on their roster including Cronin. I thought the roster max was 25?

I'd expect there is more of an issue with the cap than there is in roster spots. If so, I have a hard time believing that Cronin's salary would open up that much for anything of value. I really hope that opening up Cronin's spot isn't to save money for DP2.

I'm hoping it has more to do with domestic v US spots, but with two new Canadian entries in the league over the next two years, either the Canadian content rules have to change sometime soon or there are going to be a bunch of weaker Canadian teams than their US counterparts.
    Or we need to start developing more talent. I thought Henry looked good and might be servicable as a bench player after the end of this season. We need to start planning for the inevitable day that Canadian talent is at a premium.

Copping out and changing the content rule does nothing for the game in Canada and it does nothing for the academy program.

We're gonna have to suck it up for a couple years if we don't prepare for this. One of the Canadian teams might be strong with two weak ones, or all three will be distinctly average.

I'm in favour of us snapping up the talent available right now so we're that strong team and have a grace period to build up our academy.

Fuck the Whitecaps and impact, let them be the weak teams in the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gixmo View Post
    So, Which is it?
    I hear San Jose

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NOT Cronin !!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    Copping out and changing the content rule does nothing for the game in Canada and it does nothing for the academy program.
    Regardless of that, you need to read some of the coaching development mags that are produced in the US. According to US Soccer, the primary purpose of MLS is to develop US players. This is often stated in stateside coaching magazines. While changing the Canadian content rule won't change much for the academy program, it will allow more US players into MLS. Unfortunately, with a bigger pool of potential players to draw from, it will be easier to find reasonable MLS quality players from the US than it will be from Canada, and certainly at a lower cost than internationals.

And it will keep the Canadian teams relatively competitive and not inflate the cost of Canadian talent.

Now, back to topic - I am still sorry to see Cronin go, and wish him the best in his new opportunity - he wouldn't get much more playing time here anyway.
    Last edited by CoachGT; 06-14-2010 at 07:19 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    And about 50 people speculated it before you, several months ago. I believe Shaugno was one of the early ones on that. Credit where due, dude.
    point given. Never intended to usurp anyone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CoachGT View Post
    Regardless of that, you need to read some of the coaching development mags that are produced in the US. According to US Soccer, the primary purpose of MLS is to develop US players. This is often stated in stateside coaching magazines. While changing the Canadian content rule won't change much for the academy program, it will allow more US players into MLS. Unfortunately, with a bigger pool of potential players to draw from, it will be easier to find reasonable MLS quality players from the US than it will be from Canada, and certainly at a lower cost than internationals.

And it will keep the Canadian teams relatively competitive and not inflate the cost of Canadian talent.

Now, back to topic - I am still sorry to see Cronin go, and wish him the best in his new opportunity - he wouldn't get much more playing time here anyway.
    I know Coach. Americans who hate TFC and the other Canadian clubs point it out often.

But the fact is, the league has changed from 1996.

I'd rather we snap up the Canadian talent we can now, and put more into development. Let the Whitecaps and the Impact struggle to find Canadians.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefer KC so we hopefully get Teal Bunbury, that would be super cool. SJ, I dont know who I would want, hopefully a winger I suppose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heys guys, if we signed Dero as a DP does 400k of his salary count against the cap? and if Dero salary right now is 400k how would that help us. Im not to sure on the figures so correct me if im wrong, just a little confused on how this whole DP things works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bgnewf View Post
    This could also be a prelude to other moves, if of course it happens. I speculated previously that DeRo could be offered a DP contract to free up some additional monies to sign other players. A Cronin move could in concert with a DeRo DP contract,(if we get some significant allocation or cap dollars from whomever we trade Cronin to) make the process of addition by subtraction to the roster that much easier.

The discussion here is definitely interesting, but I am a bit of a skeptic about rumours like this. I will believe it when I see the news release from the club.
    You got to get off that one track thought you have on how to make room for a TFC DP.
    With this move, coupled with allocation money plus cap space could actually be the perfect recipe for getting a legitimate DP player in TFC uniform without catering to DeRo's winy ass.
    Did that thought ever cross your mind?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Come on Poppy, MLS salary rules are straight forward, as you can see from the below diagram:

Dero being a half season DP will only cost us 200k against the cap, unless the rules changed when they brought in the 2nd and 3rd dp rule effectively making it some other arbitrary amount.

Quit asking such basic questions, jesus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BigPoppy View Post
    Heys guys, if we signed Dero as a DP does 400k of his salary count against the cap? and if Dero salary right now is 400k how would that help us. Im not to sure on the figures so correct me if im wrong, just a little confused on how this whole DP things works.
    He's at 375,000. Let him honour his contract. Better to get a real DP (Cronin move could be prelude to this) than catering to already signed players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recent Sun article seems to leaning towards the SJ side of the debate, no details however:

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soc.../14391456.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got a little bit of news on this, although it's dated from a few days ago....apparently we're not looking for anyone in return, just some combination of allocation money and draft picks - and there's a few teams interested. It looks like we're trying to clear some cap space for a summer signing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boban View Post
    He's at 375,000. Let him honour his contract. Better to get a real DP (Cronin move could be prelude to this) than catering to already signed players.
    If I'm not mistaken, if he were to become the second dp he'd cost about 50,000 less so by paying him more we could get hit less. It makes sense, I don't like it because I too think that it should be used on someone making over a million not someone making 25k over the limit but it does make sense.

PS on your previous post, I'd have refrain from using the phrase "did that ever cross your mind?!" I've never heard it said without escalation. Just saying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bring on Del Piero.

(one can dream!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    I got a little bit of news on this, although it's dated from a few days ago....apparently we're not looking for anyone in return, just some combination of allocation money and draft picks - and there's a few teams interested. It looks like we're trying to clear some cap space for a summer signing.
    Not directed at you, but more an out loud question (and you brought up the purpose of the trade). We have Barrett, Garcia, Peterson and Hscanovics all making WAY too much money. Cronin is better than those 4 players and when you take money in to account he is great. Why him? If we aren't planning on signing a striker than Chad Barrett can't leave but Peterson, Garcia or Hscanovics would make the most sense when you consider what they contribute and what they earn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCtoMUFC View Post
    Not directed at you, but more an out loud question (and you brought up the purpose of the trade). We have Barrett, Garcia, Peterson and Hscanovics all making WAY too much money. Cronin is better than those 4 players and when you take money in to account he is great. Why him? If we aren't planning on signing a striker than Chad Barrett can't leave but Peterson, Garcia or Hscanovics would make the most sense when you consider what they contribute and what they earn.
    Barrett has played really well for us, there's no need to trade him. Peterson has played well too (and he's still recovering from injury). No one would want Garcia or Hscanovics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the e-mail that I got from my source:

Hey,
    I heard that Cronin was traded to KC. Do you know if this is true and if so who is coming our way?

---

I hadn't heard KC. I was told Philly and San Jose were making offers but that was a couple of days ago. Toronto doesn't want anyone in return, they're shopping for allocation money or draft picks. Looks like they're moving salary to make room for a summer signing. A new DP or other big salary seems likely.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCtoMUFC View Post
    We have Barrett, Garcia, Peterson and Hscanovics all making WAY too much money.
    Barrett, Peterson > Cronin, SJ is paying most of Garcia's tab and Hscanovics fills a position of need.

They're also not the most tradable assets; I think the big play is for allocation money here.

This had better be for a big name striker to come in later, and that contract better be agreed to in principle. I really hope we're not just giving Dero a raise.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    Barrett has played really well for us, there's no need to trade him. Peterson has played well too (and he's still recovering from injury). No one would want Garcia or Hscanovics.
    This. Plus Peterson and Hscanovics have only just been signed and Preki is not likely to bring someone in and then ship them out again a few weeks later, for a whole bunch of reasons.

Bummer about Sammy though, he is exactly the kind of player I thought Preki would keep - excellent work rate, good all round skill set, versatile, young, cheap and judging from what we saw of him after the end of season farce last year, a leader in waiting who's willing to fight for the shirt. Bets of luck if he does go, but will be sorry to see him leave.
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunate about Sam, hope the signing we get in return will make up for it (did anyone say Dickov! )

Btw, SJ fans have caught wind of the Cronin rumour and are pretty happy about it

Mikey

Quote Originally Posted by DichioTFC View Post
    Unfortunate about Sam, hope the signing we get in return will make up for it (did anyone say Dickov! )

Btw, SJ fans have caught wind of the Cronin rumour and are pretty happy about it
    Dickov has taken a managers position in the UK. I'm guessing we need the money to give Garcia a pay raise....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Luca View Post
    Bring on Del Piero.

(one can dream!)

Also is it possible that TFC is trying to bog down either SJ or KC with an expensive Cronin so when Kenny Cooper comes back to MLS we have a shot at him. Both KC and SJ would have a crack at him first through MLS allocation rules.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2010/06/sam_cronin/

My take on the Cronin situation, and why San Jose makes the most sense if a deal actually happens.

Comments always welcomed and appreciated.

Cheers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we dont even know whos going to replace him yet, bit early to say theyve got the better hand