Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ryan "Please Pay Attention to Me" Johnston - Carver Commentary

Here is Ryan Johnston's commentary on Carver. I have not provided a link because I don't want editorials like this to be encouraged. Once and a while he provides some insight, but this is just as stupid as some of the threads on the boards. I have some of my own commentary afterwards.

Oh Dear, John

Leaving points on the field against one of the league's worst teams is inexcusable. But leaving your best players on the bench in the process is even more so.

We all remember Carver
    called out his team for their lack of killer instinct in a 3-1 win over Colorado. Now, one week later, it is time to call out Carver for the very same thing.

On Saturday at BMO Field the Kansas City Wizards must have thought it was their lucky day when the game kicked off and
    Amado Guevara, Jim Brennan and Maurice Edu were still wearing warm ups.

Carver has always maintained that the players who work hard and gain results will keep their starting 11 spot. But this noble conviction needs to have a limit -- especially considering the team's next two games are road tests against two of the MLS best in New England and Chicago.

The
    Jarrod Smith for Rohan Ricketts, Jeff Cunningham for Danny Dichio and Todd Dunivant for Laurent Robert rotation has provided TFC will full points at home, it is nothing short of confusing as to why it was abandoned with second place in the standings at stake.

"Let's not forget some of the players have been away for close to a month, and I have to be fair to the guys who are working hard," Carver told the CBC after the match.

Again, very noble; but be fair to the guys who have been working hard by using them in a substitute role. All three of the aforementioned starters-turned-subs need a full game, especially Guevara, who simply ran out of time to make a difference.

In the short CBC interview Carver was very nonchalant in assessing the match, and understood that the players he summoned to face KC were not up to the challenge.

"Ten to 15 minutes from the end there was one team who I thought would win it, and it wasn't us," Carver said.

Sorry coach, it is fair to assume that most of the fans on hand at home felt that from the very beginning.

For those of you who don't know, Carver is a manager. Within that role is team management. Last week the same lineup beat a better squad in the Rapids 3-1. Cunny tried is ass off for the first game in 2 seasons to reach his milestone of 100. Since he didn't reach that goal, we should have assumed he'd put a big effort in this week, which wasn't the case. Enter Amado Guevara with 30 minutes left. 3 blown chances by him later and a 0-0 result, some would want to lynch Carver. He brought in the players with 30 minutes left....plenty of time to make a difference.

If you want to get angry about something....it should be that he made all 3 subs leaving us susceptible to injury (Tebily in the 80th). Edu has played like shit all year and Harmse had a good game....Brennan didn't make much of an impact and why would he at left back. If want to complain about something maybe it should have been a double switch up front. Whoever, thinks Carver made a mistake also doesn't understand how to keep players motivated and that alone makes our bench stronger than most the MLS. Without the carrot that he provides to our players, you'll get more underwhelming performances like Cunny.

London: "Football is not a matter of life and death. It's much more important than that." B. Shankly
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my opinion, I agree more with Ryan Johnson's points than yours DigzTFC:

- 30 minutes is better then none, but 90 minutes is best for Amado, Edu, and Brennan to make a difference (e.g., Amado had 3 chances in 30 minutes, in 90 minutes he could have had 9 chances + a solid free-kick opportunity.) Remember, we just needed 1 goal to get the full 3 points, not a measley 1 point "in our house" against the worst team.

- Had he done the right thing (start the best 11 players available period), he would have had another 3 substitutes as options to make tactical changes that could have helped win the game. So the Tebily injury issue was also a problem of Carver's own making by not doing the right thing from the 1st minute

-Again, I (and likely most who have criticized Carver after yesterday's game) are not "Carver-Bashers". On balance Carver has been and is wonderful, and he has taken TFC to a new level. At this new level, where TFC is now not only contending for the playoffs but has an outside chance this year of finishing as one the top 2 teams in MLS, such mistakes (as Carver's yesterday) stand out glaringly. This board is not simply a praise-fest. You have to take and comment on both the good and the bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sidney View Post
    In my opinion, I agree more with Ryan Johnson's points than yours DigzTFC:

- 30 minutes is better then none, but 90 minutes is best for Amado, Edu, and Brennan to make a difference (e.g., Amado had 3 chances in 30 minutes, in 90 minutes he could have had 9 chances + a solid free-kick opportunity.) Remember, we just needed 1 goal to get the full 3 points, not a measley 1 point "in our house" against the worst team.

- Had he done the right thing (start the best 11 players available period), he would have had another 3 substitutes as options to make tactical changes that could have helped win the game. So the Tebily injury issue was also a problem of Carver's own making by not doing the right thing from the 1st minute

-Again, I (and likely most who have criticized Carver after yesterday's game) are not "Carver-Bashers". On balance Carver has been and is wonderful, and he has taken TFC to a new level. At this new level, where TFC is now not only contending for the playoffs but has an outside chance this year of finishing as one the top 2 teams in MLS, such mistakes (as Carver's yesterday) stand out glaringly. This board is not simply a praise-fest. You have to take and comment on both the good and the bad.
    Man Sidney I couldn't agree with you more and everything you said. This is exactly the way I feel.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Ryan Johnston blog - Oh dear, John

Oh dear, John

Leaving points on the field against one of the league's worst teams is inexcusable. But leaving your best players on the bench in the process is even more so.

We all remember Carver called out his team for their lack of killer instinct in a 3-1 win over Colorado. Now, one week later, it is time to call out Carver for the very same thing.

On Saturday at BMO Field the Kansas City Wizards must have thought it was their lucky day when the game kicked off and Amado Guevara, Jim Brennan and Maurice Edu were still wearing warm ups.

Carver has always maintained that the players who work hard and gain results will keep their starting 11 spot. But this noble conviction needs to have a limit -- especially considering the team's next two games are road tests against two of the MLS best in New England and Chicago.

The Jarrod Smith for Rohan Ricketts, Jeff Cunningham for Danny Dichio and Todd Dunivant for Laurent Robert rotation has provided TFC will full points at home, it is nothing short of confusing as to why it was abandoned with second place in the standings at stake.

"Let's not forget some of the players have been away for close to a month, and I have to be fair to the guys who are working hard," Carver told the CBC after the match.

Read more
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you Denime for Posting the link for the world's to know.
    DigzTFC! I'm sorry to say but you are showing some hypocrisy here.
    A reporter has the balls to criticize our manager because he made a blunder and we all know that he did and you don't accept that? why?
    You don't agree that Carver screwed up yesterday by flushing 2 easy points down the toilet?
    Remember these 2 points when they become a major factor for a playoff spot at the end of the season.

Mikey

meh.

Blogs are like assholes, everyone's got one and they're full of shit.

Oi Blogger! NO!!! Stop wasting the internets......

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    meh.

Blogs are like assholes, everyone's got one and they're full of shit.

Oi Blogger! NO!!! Stop wasting the internets......
    Excuse me, but that hurt

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meh...Ryan Johnston has written little to impress me and this is another one. He doesn't address issues like what do you do with your bench if you never give them a chance to start but expect them to produce when players are missing away or injured? If you are not going to start them against the lowly Wiz...who do you play them against?

I think it was Paradyme who made a good point. If Guevara couldn't score in the last 35 minutes against tired legs, what makes you think he was going to score in the first 55? KC came out looking to shut down the front and until we get someone other than Cunny up front, goals on the run of play will still be hard to come by. THAT's why we didn't come away with all 3 points.

And you know what? I think RJ wrote this article after reading some of the crap that was on the board last night. He probably had nothing to say yesterday and decided to stir the pot because he knew some fans might be upset. I am positive he is reading our boards since a lot of what he writes comes right off our pages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd have to say i agree with what he wrote. It's about time the media stepped out of it's box and started writing non-generic articles.

Did he say Carver was a bad coach? no, he's just pointing out it was the wrong decision, which it definately was. Even the best coach will have his faults.

It's not rocket science, play your best players for the games that matter, when they are actually available to you. For the guys playing behind the starters who fill in, it's not enough to win, you have to play a level above the guy who starts ahead of you. Sure, we won that last game, but nobody outplayed the guy ahead of him with maybe the exception of Harmse.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DigzTFC! View Post
    Here is Ryan Johnston's commentary on Carver. I have not provided a link because I don't want editorials like this to be encouraged. Once and a while he provides some insight, but this is just as stupid as some of the threads on the boards. I have some of my own commentary afterwards.

Oh Dear, John

We all remember Carver called out his team for their lack of killer instinct in a 3-1 win over Colorado. Now, one week later, it is time to call out Carver for the very same thing.

On Saturday at BMO Field the Kansas City Wizards must have thought it was their lucky day when the game kicked off and Amado Guevara, Jim Brennan and Maurice Edu were still wearing warm ups.

The Jarrod Smith for Rohan Ricketts, Jeff Cunningham for Danny Dichio and Todd Dunivant for Laurent Robert rotation has provided TFC will full points at home, it is nothing short of confusing as to why it was abandoned with second place in the standings at stake.

Again, very noble; but be fair to the guys who have been working hard by using them in a substitute role. All three of the aforementioned starters-turned-subs need a full game, especially Guevara, who simply ran out of time to make a difference.

In the short CBC interview Carver was very nonchalant in assessing the match, and understood that the players he summoned to face KC were not up to the challenge.

"Ten to 15 minutes from the end there was one team who I thought would win it, and it wasn't us," Carver said.

Sorry coach, it is fair to assume that most of the fans on hand at home felt that from the very beginning.

For those of you who don't know, Carver is a manager. Within that role is team management. Last week the same lineup beat a better squad in the Rapids 3-1. Cunny tried is ass off for the first game in 2 seasons to reach his milestone of 100. Since he didn't reach that goal, we should have assumed he'd put a big effort in this week, which wasn't the case. Enter Amado Guevara with 30 minutes left. 3 blown chances by him later and a 0-0 result, some would want to lynch Carver. He brought in the players with 30 minutes left....plenty of time to make a difference.

If you want to get angry about something....it should be that he made all 3 subs leaving us susceptible to injury (Tebily in the 80th). Edu has played like shit all year and Harmse had a good game....Brennan didn't make much of an impact and why would he at left back. If want to complain about something maybe it should have been a double switch up front. Whoever, thinks Carver made a mistake also doesn't understand how to keep players motivated and that alone makes our bench stronger than most the MLS. Without the carrot that he provides to our players, you'll get more underwhelming performances like Cunny.

who this Ryan Johnston idiot? did not realize wcq was on and we had players away playing? by the ways this idiot is talking you would think he works in the Canadian sports media...opps he does..Brennan never makes an impact so why does that surprise you the oppostiition offence runs circles around him at the best of times,, but we all know why heres here, passport. Carver has done the best job possible, and some deals need to deal made....out should go Cunny (hate to say it) Dichio, Lombardo..
    and bring in new faces.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_torontofc_2008 View Post
    who this Ryan Johnston idiot? did not realize wcq was on and we had players away playing? by the ways this idiot is talking you would think he works in the Canadian sports media...opps he does..Brennan never makes an impact so why does that surprise you the oppostiition offence runs circles around him at the best of times,, but we all know why heres here, passport. Carver has done the best job possible, and some deals need to deal made....out should go Cunny (hate to say it) Dichio, Lombardo..
    and bring in new faces.
    Brennan never makes an impact? Thanks for proving you dont watch TFC games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had an argument with Sully about this leaving the game yesterday. I think Carver's done a wonderful job this season, and I think it's important that bench players know that if they play well, they can make it into the starting eleven. That said, the difference between making the playoffs and being on the outside looking in is usually the games you should have won and didn't. I'm not saying that we won't make the playoffs as a result of this draw, but I think we could have walked away with three points yesterday.

To give KC credit, though, they defended well and played for the scoreless draw. That's what teams have started to do when coming to BMO...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last I checked I don't believe that Ryan Johnston has ever managed a professional club. There was no reason going in not to believe that the team that destroyed Colorado was not strong enough to wipe out KC.

In retrospect it is so easy to blame Carver. I think the only critcism I had was that he should have made changes (Guevara for Cunny and Brennan for Dunivant) at the half instead of letting them piss around for another 10 minutes.
    Last edited by noochie; 06-22-2008 at 08:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noochie View Post
    Last I checked I don't believe that Ryan Johnston has ever managed a professional club. There was no reason going in not to believe that the team that destroyed Colorado was not strong enough to wipe out KC.

In retrospect it is so easy to blame Carver. I think the only critcism I had was that he should have made changes (Guevara for Cunny and Brennan for Dunivant) at the half instead of letting them piss around for another 10 minutes.
    My thoughts were never in retrospect. Ask anyone in my section, as soon as Guevara didn't start I said I have a baaaad feeling about this game, "Carver is going to eat his words for starting Cunny". Well, that he did. I saw that coming a mile away and I think Carver should've as well. He made a mistake, it's hard to argue against that. Let's move on and hope he doesn't screw up like that again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    My thoughts were never in retrospect. Ask anyone in my section, as soon as Guevara didn't start I said I have a baaaad feeling about this game, "Carver is going to eat his words for starting Cunny". Well, that he did. I saw that coming a mile away and I think Carver should've as well. He made a mistake, it's hard to argue against that. Let's move on and hope he doesn't screw up like that again.
    They bench players they posted on the screen were from the week before. We had a go about that too before the game started cause Guevara Sutton Brennan and Edu weren't listed.