Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Thoughts on Youth and Fringe Players.

Ty Harden. Solid backup center back. Similar skill set to Cann. Can play fullback as well, which makes him useful. Good depth.

Abdus Ibrahim. Three years and nothing to show for it. Not young enough where his ceiling is that high, and clearly looks like a USL player, as he doesn't have the skill or physicality to play at MLS level.

Hscanovics. Second choice LB, fourth choice center back, I can live with as long as he doesn't see too much time. Poor distribution, not quick, and can be beat by good wingers, but gets forward decently.

Sam Cronin. Really not showing a lot. There isn't a lot of CM depth currently, but I don't know that his future lies with TFC after this year. Doesn't do anything badly, but doesn't do anything well either.

Matheson. Looks like the part, a real physical freak. Already seems better at holding the ball up than anyone on the senior roster. I would cut Ibrahim and bring him up tomorrow, but it's easier to get games in the academy, especially if they are going to bring in a Baptiste or similar other striker. I think he has a big upside.

Henry. Looked a little bit clumsy, but a lot could be nerves from a first start on a wet pitch. Don't see who he would displace currently but a possibility for next year.

Gabe Gala. Shows flashes of being able to get on the ball on beat people, but it doesn't happen consistently and I still can't forgive him for being out of shape in the earlier Vancouver game. Looks like a MLS substitute at this point, but could still improve. You get the sense that if he was a bit more athletically explosive he would be a lock for the first team, but he needs to put the time in in the gym. You have to wonder if he is willing to put in the work to really succeed at this level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you're a bit too harsh with Gala and Fuad. They are 20 and 19 years old (respectively), and this is the MLS. Chad Barrett is still developing at 25...I don't think we have to worry about them going to the Premiership anytime soon, but I think they can both be solid players in our future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
    I think you're a bit too harsh with Gala and Fuad. They are 20 and 19 years old (respectively), and this is the MLS. Chad Barrett is still developing at 25...I don't think we have to worry about them going to the Premiership anytime soon, but I think they can both be solid players in our future.
    Ibrahim just doesn't have a skill that will make him an impact player. He's not really fast, can't really shoot, isn't big and doesn't have great ball control. Unlike Gala, he doesn't even show flashes of ability to be a meaningful player at this level. I think it's time to go in another direction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was impressed by Kocic as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Agreed, Kocic was solid when called upon and communicated pretty well with the back line.

To me, Gala's work rate is impressive. I don't think you can question wether he is willing to put in the work to play at this level. Preki doesn't seem the type to play guys who don't put in the work at practice/training and he has improved considerably since joining the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ibrahim and Gala are still really young I agree with Werewolf.... Ibby has grown alot and probably is still getting use to the growth that he has within the 2 years in about 2 years you will see him really start to develope same goes with Gala learning from Dero is going to take him a long way. Dero didn't make it to the MLS till he was 22 he played USL I am sure he was thought to be a write off around 19 but now he is one of the MLS best.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf View Post

i agree whole heartedly, although i do think that Ibby is in danger of being cut (even though he hasnt seen much time, which makes me yearn for a reserve team).
    I thought Matheson was ok, nothing special, he didnt do alot of running, let alone alot of defending and only looked ok on the ball (where as Ibby was running back and mashing it up). I thought Henry looked great although his distribution lacked but will clearly get better as he's only 17 and I thought Lindsay looked great too. They only played a game/half game respectively but theres obviously a reason tehy saw the field and id sign em both today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Faud Ibrahim=Andrea Lombardo

Honestly I rather have Lombardo back as he's still in hes early 20's. He may not have scored but he created chances when he was out there. Oh he did score against Villa right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    i agree whole heartedly, although i do think that Ibby is in danger of being cut (even though he hasnt seen much time, which makes me yearn for a reserve team).
    I thought Matheson was ok, nothing special, he didnt do alot of running, let alone alot of defending and only looked ok on the ball (where as Ibby was running back and mashing it up). I thought Henry looked great although his distribution lacked but will clearly get better as he's only 17 and I thought Lindsay looked great too. They only played a game/half game respectively but theres obviously a reason tehy saw the field and id sign em both today.
    i would sign the three academy players that played today reasons

Doneil looks like after a few games he would get comfortable and in the next few years or so, i could see him and Nana creating a solid back line.

Nicholas Lindsey, shows the quality and skill set of a TRUE winger. We do not have one TRUE winger on this team, other than Dero. But Lindsey ability to use his pace and beat players is a great quality to have.

Allando Matheson is a beast, the reason why i say this is because he is only 18, he is able to fight and tussle for the ball with men. He does hold the ball up better than Chad Barret, and he shows signs of promise.

The reason why i didnt put any negative critiscism is because it was the first game, and some first practices with the first team. I have seen first team players make the same mistakes, and theres no excuse for them because they are experienced players.

Two if not all of those players will be signed!

Signed Thursday, June 3rd, 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its ashame there isn't a reserve league to help development. Its really needed, When we play the first CL leg its with against a team with a 40 player roster. They just have more over all depth. and that reserve league would allow the development of players like gala and ibby faster. of course that would require a larger roster and a cap increase, which is never happening

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote=Dub Narcotic;1050053]

Henry. Looked a little bit clumsy, but a lot could be nerves from a first start on a wet pitch. Don't see who he would displace currently but a possibility for next year.

How about GARCIA?
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The kids played well last night. Henry impressed me more than the other but Mathesons touch on a bouncing wet ball was very good. Lindsey's pace and crossing ability is very useful.

As for Ibby, you can be a useful striker without a rocket shot and speed. Look at Pippo Inzaghi, he's never been the fastest or most powerful but has always been a prolific scorer. He's achieved this with playing positionally well and making runs. Ibby has the ability to be this kind of player but developing will take longer simply because he doesn't get to play regularly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    its ashame there isn't a reserve league to help development. Its really needed, When we play the first CL leg its with against a team with a 40 player roster. They just have more over all depth. and that reserve league would allow the development of players like gala and ibby faster. of course that would require a larger roster and a cap increase, which is never happening
    MLS could bring back Reserve League type competition in 2011
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...reserve-league

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of all the TFC Academy players I was most impressed with Lindsay last night. Despite his inexeperience he showed a willingness to fight, displayed impressive pace/ball control on the wings, and put in a few nice crosses. Henry needs to refine his skill set but definitely has the guts and the ability to develop into an MLS caliber defender. Kocic had a flawless, commanding effort as the 3rd string keeper and illustrated the substantial depth TFC has in goal. I think these 3 kids definitely have a bright future with the senior Reds...
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 06-03-2010 at 07:54 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    How about GARCIA?
    To be honest, if Garcia continues his current streak of being a useful plug at CB, I may be open to keeping him. Keep in mind Garcia's cap hit is being subsidized by San Jose.

If he reverts back to his form of last season, and the first couple of games this season, then I'm on board.

I think Preki has handled Garcia well - withdrew him from the lineup after the first few disastrous games, when the pitchforks were out, gave him some time on the bench, and then slowly started reinserting him in the lineup, so as not to destroy his confidence or morale.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its weird because I've seen more flashes of brilliance from Ibby in his passing / play making ability then his ability to score... not to say he's a DeRo or Guevara but just putting that out there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the only thing keeping Ibrahim on the roster right now is that he is Gen Adidas and does not count against the cap. Once that expires there will be Canadians at the Academy with the same talent or better that could be better utilized!! International spots are precious.

On that note I can't believe we are taking up 2 backup keeper spots with internationals!! Is there not a Canadian keeper anywhere that could serve in this role!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Of all the TFC Academy players I was most impressed with Lindsay last night. Despite his inexeperience he showed a willingness to fight, displayed impressive pace/ball control on the wings, and put in a few nice crosses. Henry needs to refine his skill set but definitely has the guts and the ability to develop into an MLS caliber defender. Kocic had a flawless, commanding effort as the 3rd string keeper and illustrated the substantial depth TFC has in goal. I think these 3 kids definitely have a bright future with the senior Reds...
    1++++
    He's the one who struck me most... The odders have a passing great because they didn;t have any major (ala garcia) f-ups.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Harden was a rock last night, the Academy kids showed some flashes, and didn't embarrass themselves...For me Faud just doesn't have it, he lacks any strenght, and he also was dogging it out there most of the time, certainly not the type of player Preki will put up with. Hscanovics was absolutely ATTROCIOUS! he gets beat one v one by anyone with a bit of pace, can't cross the ball at all, and his bad passes constantly put our defence under pressure...at least Usanov can push forward a bit, though I still prefer Gargan at RB....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Frop View Post
    Ibrahim and Gala are still really young I agree with Werewolf.... Ibby has grown alot and probably is still getting use to the growth that he has within the 2 years in about 2 years you will see him really start to develope same goes with Gala learning from Dero is going to take him a long way. Dero didn't make it to the MLS till he was 22 he played USL I am sure he was thought to be a write off around 19 but now he is one of the MLS best.
    TFC doesn't have room for both Gala and Ibrahim, really, to develop them both properly. Ibrahim has barely played this year, and that's not likely to change for the forseeable future. He needs to go to USL and play more, if TFC wants to loan him for a year and see where he's at then, I wouldn't object because of his GA status, but I would bet they won't see anything special even at that level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote=denime;1050116]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dub Narcotic View Post

How about GARCIA?
    Does he play LB? Gomez is also coming back next year, who is also a young guy that has shown he can play MLS level. That puts Henry as the fourth choice center back, and the third choice right-back and not seeing the field much. Without the reserve league, I would leave him in the youth team for now until they are forced to make a decision. If the reserve team starts up again, I would feel better about calling him up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ibrahim seemed afraid to take on his man at the edge of the box. I noticed in the 2nd half (can't see the North end action too clearly!) that he's turn away from goal every time and lay it off - sometimes that's fine, but it seemed like he was afraid to take a run.

Henry impressed me. Not afraid to get stuck in, and seemed strong physically. None of the youngsters let us down, in fact I'd have liked to see another instead of that promising De Rosario lad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I totally agree TFC Cityboy. Ibby turned away from goal every time he got the ball in the 2nd half. Sometimes that's the right play, I know but other times, he needs to run that ball into the box or take it to the byline to create chances. Having said that, I though he handled the ball well and set up a couple nice chances.

The other player that impressed me was Lindsey. I thought he played well on the wing and created some good chances.

Considering Vancouver was down a man, TFC didn't really take it to them the way they should have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jahinho_Guerro View Post

Doneil looks like after a few games he would get comfortable and in the next few years or so, i could see him and Nana creating a solid back line.

Nicholas Lindsey, shows the quality and skill set of a TRUE winger. We do not have one TRUE winger on this team, other than Dero. But Lindsey ability to use his pace and beat players is a great quality to have.

Allando Matheson is a beast, the reason why i say this is because he is only 18, he is able to fight and tussle for the ball with men. He does hold the ball up better than Chad Barret, and he shows signs of promise.

The reason why i didnt put any negative critiscism is because it was the first game, and some first practices with the first team. I have seen first team players make the same mistakes, and theres no excuse for them because they are experienced players.

Peterson's been a winger for three years, so you could call him a true winger, but you're right, Lindsay did exactly what he was supposed to, and his movement and read was really spot on.

They all look like decent prospects to me. You can't really tell much from that much time on the pitch.

But it was very obvious who's been working with the senior team and who with the academy, just from the difference in persistence level. While neither shone offensively particularly, both Gabe and Ibby demonstrated that offensive players can get stuck in defensively, which is an important message for the younger players, particularly Matheson, who moved forward well but didn't run back and didn't look for a man to pick up going back. Bet he's gonna get shit for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS could bring back Reserve League type competition in 2011
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...reserve-league
    I'm glad they read my post and got on that so fast

still not convinced owners would need to be willing to put up the extra cash to the payroll of the extra players, that is a extra 250-400k in salary.

Really would like to see this happen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with this. There's no point of taking an overly negative view point of our youth players at this stage, even the oldest ones, they still have plenty of time to develop.

Of course in your first professional game there are going to be some wild ups and downs for most guys. You really have to look for what their doing well and think about whether they can expand on that to be effective. I'd say most guys out there had that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i like what i saw from the young ones,Doneil sort of reminds me of a young atiba.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Gala... I think he's got some good potential in the future though would be much better if he was bigger.

Henry I agree looked very nervous. Made several mistakes that could have been costly if Vancouver was a better team.

Hscanovics I think looks pretty good and like that he makes good strong tackles most of the time.

Ibrahim I don't think is very good. Too all over the place and makes me wonder what he is thinking sometimes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i played with nick lindsay a few years ago. great kid, and looked pretty solid given the circumstances

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by adam1001 View Post
    i played with nick lindsay a few years ago. great kid, and looked pretty solid given the circumstances
    Despite falling into el pitfallo of trying the short side on his shot, he was really quite good. Several evasive runs, and he even turned it around on the touchline to look for a better cross option.

Work rate was good, too.