Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I considering skipping this game and going to a CSL game on the Sunday instead. I go to with my young nephew to the games and if there's any kind of delay coming home at 10:00 pm or so, it'll just get too late.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto FC and Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment (MLSE) announced Tuesday that its June 26th match against the Los Angeles Galaxy at BMO Field will be played as scheduled and not moved due to the upcoming G20 Summit - scheduled for June 26 & 27, 2010. Kickoff for the match will be 730pm.

Toronto FC and MLSE have been working closely with local organizers and security forces to ensure that delays and disruptions are minimized on June 26, however, with limited parking on the CNE grounds, the Direct Energy Centre’s designation as the G20 Summit Media Centre, and a number of expected road closures and delays, supporters are encouraged to utilize public transit on game day.
    http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/05...galaxy-remains
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GlenM reported in another thread:

Heard that they're conducting a airport search if you go thru the GO Tunnel to BMO for Sat night's game.

I would reccomend Dufferin into BMO there and back.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Disaster...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sigh, this is going to be a fun one.
    [B]75 Mile Bastards[/B]
    [B]Tailgate Team[/B] [B]Underling[/B]
    [B]Season Ticket Holder 110 Row 33 Seat 9[/B] [B]aka The Bastards' Perch[/B]
    [B]Red Patch Boy through and through. :scarf:[/B][SIZE=6][B][COLOR=SeaGreen]
    [/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I guarantee guys will get their balls cupped going into this match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    I guarantee guys will get their balls cupped going into this match.
    Well, the lineup at the gates with female guards will definitely be longer then...!

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe if we all go to the match wearing Speedo's it would help speed things up?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I live in the Bloor and Ossington area and I take the Ossington 94 bus from Ossington station to the games. It is never very crowded and it takes about 15-20 minutes to get from Ossington Subway to Liberty Street just north of the GO Train tunnel.

This is a great way to get to the ground avoiding most of the traffic snarls and the G-20 foolishness. You guys can get off behind Lamport Stadium and head over to Shoeless Joes in about 4-5 minutes I would guess.
    Last edited by bgnewf; 06-21-2010 at 01:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"...that, coupled with the fact that our supporters are experienced in dealing with events on the Exhibition grounds throughout the summer, led us to this conclusion.

Supporters are encouraged to visit www.torontofc.ca regularly for updates regarding the Galaxy match at BMO Field on June 26.”

posted on TorontoFC.ca Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 12:46pm

This is a weak argument and where are our updates for this match??

I’m interested in seeing how other supporters from the east (Durham Region) are getting to this game. Please share your thoughts /plans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so it was announced on my GO train this morning that during the G20 weekend trains will be ending at Union station. that means eastbound trains will stop at union and then you will have to transfer to another westbound train to go to BMO. this sounds like a LOT of extra time will be required by you poor east enders...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im not showing, not gonna deal with it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto FC should open the beer garden area at 1:30pm and sell half price beer...

Everything can be solved with half price beer...!!!

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    so it was announced on my GO train this morning that during the G20 weekend trains will be ending at Union station. that means eastbound trains will stop at union and then you will have to transfer to another westbound train to go to BMO. this sounds like a LOT of extra time will be required by you poor east enders...
    They've running like this for most of the games this year - usually no hassle - just duck across the platform to the other train.
    Another summer of hope!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i will try to prepare a final update tomorrow night, it is all time dependent though...I might have a busy time at work!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solid as Barack

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I keep thinking that there's a good chance that most things will be very quiet & empty on Saturday, for travel to the LA game. Downtown is already so empty now, and it's still a weekday. It's good to be prepared, and a good chance that there will be specific disturbances & blockages on Saturday. However, I don't think protests will be anywhere near BMO field. And on the roads, even if some spots get blocked for VIP convoys or protests or whatever, I think there will be so little general traffic, it may be easy & fast to take an alternate route.

GO could be a total breeze (everyone is saying it's already very empty now), or a problem, specifically around Union Station & from the east end. Same for the TTC.

Also, many casuals will likely not show for the TFC game, so getting there & parking could be relatively easy for the die-hards.

Basically, I think it's good to stay informed, listen for any news right up to Saturday, read this thread, and be ready to be flexible. But don't get too worried, or skip the game "just in case."

One specific question: can we confirm that there will be special security for the tunnel under the Ex station? I haven't read anything about that on the TFC or GO websites, and it's also not mentioned by the OP. Since that tunnel is used to access the GO trains, I would think that their website would mention potential restrictions.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 06-25-2010 at 12:17 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there is transit security at the east bound platform at the ex, don't worry about them. The road is blocked off by the ticket office w/ police on duty, only G20 access past that point, however since the indy barriers are up, the whole area that is restricted is closed off by the barriers. basically stick to the western portion of the ex grounds and you will be okay.

ps do not plan on parking at the ex/ont place there is little to none.
    c'mon you Reds!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Parking available behind Medievil times ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry, but I need to ask for some help.

Usually, from my condo in North York, I take the subway to Union, and then a streetcar to the Ex. Will there in fact be streetcars opreating on Saturday night? Also, this particular Saturday, I'll be firt attending a family thing in the west end of TO. Would it still be best to simply take te subway east to the University/Spadina line, and then south to Union, or would you advocate a different route? Many thanks.

David

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dag View Post
    I'm sorry, but I need to ask for some help.

Usually, from my condo in North York, I take the subway to Union, and then a streetcar to the Ex. Will there in fact be streetcars opreating on Saturday night? Also, this particular Saturday, I'll be firt attending a family thing in the west end of TO. Would it still be best to simply take te subway east to the University/Spadina line, and then south to Union, or would you advocate a different route? Many thanks.

David
    Best bet is to take the subway to Bathurst and take the Bathurst streetcar down to BMO (it goes right to the stadium).

Another option would be the Ossington bus (goes to liberty village) or the Dufferin Bus (goes right to Ex grounds)

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Dufferin bus (29) is stopping at the Dufferin Gates (there is no 29D until Tuesday according to the TTC website).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_bhoy View Post
    Best bet is to take the subway to Bathurst and take the Bathurst streetcar down to BMO (it goes right to the stadium).

Another option would be the Ossington bus (goes to liberty village) or the Dufferin Bus (goes right to Ex grounds)
    Any idea how long the streetcar ride from Bathurst Station to the stadium would be?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depending on traffic, anywhere from 15-25 mins. The longest I was on that gameday was about 35 mins, but there was an accident just north of the railway lines slowing things down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I keep thinking that there's a good chance that most things will be very quiet & empty on Saturday, for travel to the LA game. Downtown is already so empty now, and it's still a weekday. It's good to be prepared, and a good chance that there will be specific disturbances & blockages on Saturday. However, I don't think protests will be anywhere near BMO field. And on the roads, even if some spots get blocked for VIP convoys or protests or whatever, I think there will be so little general traffic, it may be easy & fast to take an alternate route.
    I agree -- getting to and from the game is going to be easier not harder than usual. The downtown is deserted. I had to drive into the core last night during rush hour and you would think it was early Sunday morning. I even got free parking! If it weren't for the gangs of kibitzing cops on every corner you would have thought it was a scene from "28 Days". Toronto is a ghost town.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i do not think there will be any VIP convoys around the ex and all the protests will stay around the downtown area

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Commie Red View Post
    I agree -- getting to and from the game is going to be easier not harder than usual. The downtown is deserted. I had to drive into the core last night during rush hour and you would think it was early Sunday morning. I even got free parking! If it weren't for the gangs of kibitzing cops on every corner you would have thought it was a scene from "28 Days". Toronto is a ghost town.
    yep, gardiner and 427 were dead yesterday and no traffic in west end downtown today at all. quite nice really.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nascarguy View Post
    i do not think there will be any VIP convoys around the ex and all the protests will stay around the downtown area
    Because there's nothing of interest near the Ex ... like the G20 media centre ...

Protestors have already had one press conference at the eastern gates to the Ex. I'd suggest entering from the west tomorrow night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nascarguy View Post
    There is a very, very high chance of VIP convoys. Rooney brought up a good point on the U-Sector saying he thought he heard or something about "airport" security under the Exhibition tracks (the path from Liberity Village to BMO Field).

I looked into it and talked to one of the main organizers today in the office and showed him where it was suggested to take place. Unfortunately I couldn't get a clear answer about whether Rooney's rumour might be true, but he looked at the map and if anyone has seen a newspaper the Gardiner Expressway is being used as a route for travelling between airport and the downtown and he really felt that there should be a security precesence along that route (so both the Dufferin crossing and under the GO Tracks) to prevent anyone from trying to cause "damage"

I was not able to confirm what type if any security would be posted, I suspect that going with what JayP said and it probably would be better if you were entering from the west side EX Grounds.

I will have some more stuff to post later on tonight.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the update Prizby. I drive in from Mississauga and am tempted to drive to High Park and hop on the King/Queen car and walk down Dufferin rather than deal with the GO train ...

I guess the convoys of leaders will be hitting TO late afternoon tho as the Deerhurst shindig wraps up early afternoon.
    Might get there super early and use the free admission to Ontario Place...