Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    London: "Football is not a matter of life and death. It's much more important than that." B. Shankly
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Does Carver Disrespect NonBritish Players, MLS, or Team Canada?

I'm wondering whether Carver disrespects nonBritish players and nonBritish national programs. Look at the best leagues in the world like the English Premier League teams that have English and non-English players coming and going and still starting for supposedly the best teams in the best football leagues in the world. If it's (starting players recently returned from national team duty) good enough for Man U, Chelsey, Arsenal, Liverpool, Juventes, Milan, Real Madrid, Barcelona etc... why isn't it good enough for Toronto FC? What about Becham playing for England and LA Galaxy? I think Becham playing (and starting) for England helps not only the MLS but the Galaxy...it's about time Carver dispensed with this not-completely-thought-out plan and reverted back to playing/starting the best available players period. And players playing for Canada, Honduras, Wales, US, etc...are gaining valuable experience that will make them better players, which will allow them to better help TFC. Lastly, not punishing Sutton and Brennan for playing for Canada will allow soccer to further develop in the Country where TFC lives. Love yah Carves, but you'll need to admit your mistake and play the best period from now on.
    Last edited by sidney; 06-21-2008 at 06:36 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sweet ramble, is there a point in there?

London: "Football is not a matter of life and death. It's much more important than that." B. Shankly
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joel View Post
    Sweet ramble, is there a point in there?
    guite a few points were made...perhaps you missed them.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paragraphs...look into them!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sidney View Post
    guite a few points were made...perhaps you missed them.

completely missed it. we get a draw and a boring game and this board never fails to impress with a bunch of whiny bitches ready to string up the next whipping boy. You were probably kissing carvers his ass last week too when we one 3-1.

This board disgusts me, it's run rampant by kids or people that have no clue about football, and no patience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joel View Post
    completely missed it. we get a draw and a boring game and this board never fails to impress with a bunch of whiny bitches ready to string up the next whipping boy. You were probably kissing carvers his ass last week too when we one 3-1.

This board disgusts me, it's run rampant by kids or people that have no clue about football, and no patience.

Who says I still don't like Carver? I do. He's just wrong (made a mistake IMO) on this bs policy of not starting are best players returning from national duty). People who really know football know that playing your best players is the way to go. Carver, himself, said after that game that it didn't take long for Guevera to "show his billiance out of nothing". So why let him play just 30 minutes instead of 90? Or how about having Brennan knock in somr crosses into Danny D for 90 minutes instead of 30, or Edu instead of Harmse for 90 minutes. Had they rightfully start chances are we would have had 3 points not just the 1
    Last edited by sidney; 06-21-2008 at 08:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

carver has a terrible attitude towards the mls...........
    "if this is the way its gonna be i may aswell go back home to england"

great attitude carver

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok but your entire post starts with a preposition about a bias against non-british players, MLS or Canada? WTH does that have to do with his gametime decisions?

You get guys coming back from playing with a totally different team and don't get to have them in training and you just throw them in? Mind you this is a TFC team that had a very convinicing win last week without them.

It's very convenient to point fingers now, when everyone was loving it last week.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NateDoGG View Post

great attitude carver

You're quoting a statement made over a month ago after he got insulted by the MLS? Really?

I am shocked at how quick you guys are turning on Carver...who in my opinion was probably one of the best, if not THE best signing this offseason. He's the reason we are where we are, whether it be his coaching, his preparation or the fact that many of the signings we've had have been connected to him in some form.

We had a bad game. It happens. Maybe he took a gamble, maybe there were other reasons for his decisions. WE DON'T KNOW. But turning on him really makes some of you guys look like fairweather fans.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NateDoGG View Post

great attitude carver
    That is an old quote that he said out of frustration while still adapting to the situation. Hardly appropriate to pin that on him as his attitude towards the MLS when he's gone on to rave about the quality of play, the fans and a lot of other things in other interviews.

You take one quote that suits your opinion and try to pass it off as truth.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

And seriously sidney, what's with the title? It has nothing to do with the points your making in your first post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know, sometimes it's hard to jump off the bandwagon without hurting your ankle. Perhaps the next piece of RPB Merchandise should be ankle supports?

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MrHawk View Post
    You know, sometimes it's hard to jump off the bandwagon without hurting your ankle. Perhaps the next piece of RPB Merchandise should be ankle supports?

Maybe we should look into that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    And seriously sidney, what's with the title? It has nothing to do with the points your making in your first post.
    Sure it does. If it's ok for the EPL, La Liga, Seria A etc... to start players returning from international duty then why not for Carver, TFC, MLS?

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

But how does that translate into him not respecting non-British players, MLS and Team Canada?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But how does that translate into him not respecting non-British players, MLS and Team Canada?
    Heres how IMO (from my first post above):

"If it's (starting players recently returned from national team duty) good enough for Man U, Chelsey, Arsenal, Liverpool,......why isn't it good enough for Toronto FC? What about Becham playing for England and LA Galaxy? I think Becham playing (and starting) for England helps not only the MLS but the Galaxy...it's about time Carver dispensed with this not-completely-thought-out plan and reverted back to playing/starting the best available players period. And players playing for Canada, Honduras, Wales, US, etc...are gaining valuable experience that will make them better players, which will allow them to better help TFC. Lastly, not punishing Sutton and Brennan for playing for Canada will allow soccer to further develop in the Country where TFC lives. Love yah Carves, but you'll need to admit your mistake and play the best period from now on.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Right.

I read your post. But it's not clear how he disrespects them. You're saying his policy is bad and that these players should play. But it's a big stretch to say that because international superstars return to play for their clubs in the Prem that John Carver disrespects the groups you mentioned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right.
    I read your post. But it's not clear how he disrespects them. You're saying his policy is bad and that these players should play. But it's a big stretch to say that because international superstars return to play for their clubs in the Prem that John Carver disrespects the groups you mentioned.

I don't think it is a stretch. I think his faulty policy is slightly based on Carver not respecting other nonBritish national programs and not respecting MLS as much as the EPL, or at least not taking them seriously enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sidney View Post
    I don't think it is a stretch. I think his faulty policy is slightly based on Carver not respecting other nonBritish national programs and not respecting MLS as much as the EPL, or at least not taking them seriously enough.
    So you can quantify it now? It's a "slight" bias?

Dude, you have absolutely nothing to base this on. Sweet fuck all. In fact, when Carver was the field favourite of players at Newcastle, that team was loaded with foreign talent. He's also brought in Robert and Tebily, two guys from Africa. So what the fuck are you bleating about?

Joel's right. This place is getting ridiculous; we need a board for people with rational, educated opinions and another for hotheaded morons who shoot their lip with nothing to back it up. I actually moved to the RPB forum because the level of discourse on Big Soccer had been reduced to drivel, but this Carver hate today from every single person from an ethnic diaspora community who wants to shit on the English is just fucking sad.

If you don't realize how lucky TFC is to have John Carver simply by looking at the table and how they play, you're not a football fan.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    If you don't realize how lucky TFC is to have John Carver simply by looking at the table and how they play, you're not a football fan.
    OMG...isn't that the truth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    So you can quantify it now? It's a "slight" bias?

Dude, you have absolutely nothing to base this on. Sweet fuck all. In fact, when Carver was the field favourite of players at Newcastle, that team was loaded with foreign talent. He's also brought in Robert and Tebily, two guys from Africa. So what the fuck are you bleating about?

Joel's right. This place is getting ridiculous; we need a board for people with rational, educated opinions and another for hotheaded morons who shoot their lip with nothing to back it up. I actually moved to the RPB forum because the level of discourse on Big Soccer had been reduced to drivel, but this Carver hate today from every single person from an ethnic diaspora community who wants to shit on the English is just fucking sad.

100% agreement. Well said!!!

B
    Last edited by Blizzard; 06-21-2008 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Added text!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am dispointed with the result, we should have one, not matter who started. I would take Carver over any MLS coach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For fucks sake, it's one game. Get over it. Last week Carver was God...now you shit all over him. How childish

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deja vu? LOL!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Way too many carver hating posts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't hate Carver, I luv em...just think his stupid policy on internationals is idiotic and needs to change even TFC is ever to be taken seriously

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What policy? Again...you may have a suspicion, but you hardly have any evidence. In fact, the proof seems to go against your suspicions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The stupid policy of not starting our best players period.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too would like to hear more about this "policy". A policy implies an inflexible plan of action that is communicated to and acknowledged by a large group.

I haven't heard a thing about this policy.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Betwixt the waters of the Humber and the Credit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing to do with internationals, his 'policy' is to play the guys that won last week. If that means sitting Sutton, Sutton sits. If those 11 don't get the result, changes are made during the game, and to next week's starters.