51 47.22%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Canada Cup trumps the League. Sorry MLS, but if I have to choose between a CONCACAF qualifying slot against a Canadian team or a league title against 13 other American teams, I'm gonna have to get a little nationalistic and go with the Canadian competition.

Things might change if Vancouver and/or Montreal make it into the league, but for right now, I have far more interest in the CC than pretty much anything else.

I'd have to agree with you. Trouble is, I don't think a lot of folk grasp what success in this tourney can do for TFC.

The attendance at these games will tell what kind of support we really have. I'd like to think we"ll sell the joint out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Canada Cup trumps the League. Sorry MLS, but if I have to choose between a CONCACAF qualifying slot against a Canadian team or a league title against 13 other American teams, I'm gonna have to get a little nationalistic and go with the Canadian competition.

Things might change if Vancouver and/or Montreal make it into the league, but for right now, I have far more interest in the CC than pretty much anything else.
    wow!

Im all for the CC and TFC having a chance to go onto the CL!!

BUt as a supporter TFC.......LEAGUE prevails!!

IT like me asking the question!!

CLUB or COUNTRY!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bhoybobby View Post
    I'd have to agree with you. Trouble is, I don't think a lot of folk grasp what success in this tourney can do for TFC.

The attendance at these games will tell what kind of support we really have. I'd like to think we"ll sell the joint out.
    make a poll!!

TFC WIN THE LEAGUE OR TFC WIN THE CANADA CUP!
    What would you rather see?

It wont even be close!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More of so, what is more important for the future of this club? If its league, I say hell with it because we will always qualify for it and never go anywhere in it..we could win the league but what would that do in this system? Its all about playoffs in MLS. but as of for the cup, its more important then people realise. If we dont win the cup this year, that means Montreal or Vancouver will be facing off agianst clubs with in our region. This is way too big for TFC to miss out on. If Toronto FC Doens't qualify for Champions Leauge it would be a huge disapointment in my books.

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

League = Tier 1 (MLS)
    Canada = Tier 2 (USL)

nuff said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Damiiano View Post
    League = Tier 1 (MLS)
    Canada = Tier 2 (USL)

nuff said.
    League = Leads you to super liga
    Canada = Leads you to Champions league

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canada Cup no doubt because Champions league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a good opportunity because we have such an easy road to the CONCACAF Champions League compared to the 4 other MLS teams where you would have to win the MLS Cup, supporters shield, or U.S. open cup....so why not take advantage of this and play our first team and we should be able to pretty easily win these Canada Cup games IF they are taken seriously enough imo...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leprechaun View Post
    It's a good opportunity because we have such an easy road to the CONCACAF Champions League compared to the 4 other MLS teams where you would have to win the MLS Cup, supporters shield, or U.S. open cup....so why not take advantage of this and play our first team and we should be able to pretty easily win these Canada Cup games IF they are taken seriously enough imo...
    Agreed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could you picture TFC winning the league and qualifying for champions league? ohhh what a day that would be . We would be in CONCACAF Champions league and the Superliga!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Laurignano View Post
    Could you picture TFC winning the league and qualifying for champions league? ohhh what a day that would be . We would be in CONCACAF Champions league and the Superliga!
    At the very least, TFC should qualify for both the CONCACAF Champions league as well as the playoffs which would be widely considered a substantial success for this season...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say Cup is more important... League is just hardware... Cup is CL! and possibly FIFA CWC!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My brain says league but my heart says Canada cup

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CL leads to FIFA CWC

Super Liga does not

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think every game should be important for the club, whether it be league or cup. Making an effort to win at every opportunity is the best way to actually get somewhere.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of people thinking the Canada cup as an end goal here. We win the cup and proceed to play the best in MLS and CONCACAF. That includes Mexican teams that aren't just friendlies! To win the CCONCACAF champions league means we play in the World club champions league vs the best in South America ( Copa Libertadores ) and Europe ( Champions league ).
    I apologize to half the posters that were aware of that.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf88 View Post
    the League is more important then the Canada Cup, but the Champions League would be a different argument.
    Is it ? Because winning the Canada Cup is what gets you into the Champion's League.

The Canada Cup is our CL qualifier.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defo the cup. League is something we play regardless. Obviously we're doing well enough at the moment that we can and should focus on beating Vanc and Mtl and earning ourselves a spot for the CL.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RPB_RED_NATION_RPB View Post
    wow!

Im all for the CC and TFC having a chance to go onto the CL!!

BUt as a supporter TFC.......LEAGUE prevails!!

IT like me asking the question!!

CLUB or COUNTRY!?
    Dude - you're thinking too small.

It's been said upthread that getting in (and winning) the CL gets the club greater exposure and more valuable treasures than winning the MLS playoffs ever could.

If TFC competed for the World Super Club Championship everyone would know our name and we'd (they'd) be playing on the largest stage, but who outside the small MLS community knows who's won the last few MLS Championships ?
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both of equal importance, both deserve top quality teams and top quality players.
    That being said, some of our opponents in the league can be beaten with bench players, especially if our first team guys are exhausted (its bound to happen with those 5 games in 14 days). To be honest i dont think im in place to say how it should be done, ill leave it up to Carver, hes done well enough so far.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_torontofc_2008 View Post
    im sure english teams feel the same way when the play italian club sides!!
    if you watched the Caps-Galaxy game...the Caps can play against MLS teams and hold their own if we go into the match thinking they will be pushovers...turn out the lights.

Sure it can happen, I'm not daying that. All I'm saying is that they are USl teams and the product isn't great. I wouldn't risk injury of players against thos eteams.

To me the league games are more important.

And as far as your comment about the Italian side goes how come Engalnd isn't in the Euro 2008. The top 16 teams in Euro have qualified and the weakest links in Euro (England,) didn't qualify. The English side is left to play friendlies against the US and Trinidad. They are playing weak teams in attempt to get their FIFA rankings up and to avoid more losses.

Another thing the English clubs have faired well against the Italian club teams this year for 1 reason - becaus eof their international players (i.e Balalck, Droga, Ronaldo, Nani, Torres etc) not because of their own players

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally people are seeing what I've been saying from the start (or at least are speaking up now). The Canada Cup leads to the CCL and is thus hugely important! I've always agreed that we should try and win both league and cup matches, of course, but the Cup and the CCL is for my money more important.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

on top of the fact itd be emberassing to lose to these 'lower' teams

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by giambac View Post
    Sure it can happen, I'm not daying that. All I'm saying is that they are USl teams and the product isn't great. I wouldn't risk injury of players against thos eteams.

To me the league games are more important.

And as far as your comment about the Italian side goes how come Engalnd isn't in the Euro 2008. The top 16 teams in Euro have qualified and the weakest links in Euro (England,) didn't qualify. The English side is left to play friendlies against the US and Trinidad. They are playing weak teams in attempt to get their FIFA rankings up and to avoid more losses.

Another thing the English clubs have faired well against the Italian club teams this year for 1 reason - becaus eof their international players (i.e Balalck, Droga, Ronaldo, Nani, Torres etc) not because of their own players
    remind me which serie a team is in the CL final again? and remember english teams don't NEED to bribe officals.. as far as the USL goes, a good
    have could play right now in MLS, Montreal, vancouver, Seattle,Portland,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm afraid giambac is right: the EPL teams have done very well because many of their starters come from abroad. It's the same with France: it's not so much the French themselves who are good, but the players who come from their former colonies and have French citizenship.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the Canada Cup games are more important than any individual league game to me.
    Of course, if it's the last league game of the season and we need to win to make the playoffs, then that game becomes most important. But taken out of context, 1 of 30 doesn't mean as much to me as any one of the Canada Cup games.

Playing Montreal also means so much more to me than playing ANY of the cities in MLS. more than LA, more than New York. I can just get the hate up so much more for anything Montreal

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    I can just get the hate up so much more for anything Montreal
    oh my god yes, we need to prove we are the best team in canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Consistent success in the league will almost certainly see TFC qualify for CL action year after year.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_torontofc_2008 View Post
    remind me which serie a team is in the CL final again? and remember english teams don't NEED to bribe officals.. as far as the USL goes, a good
    have could play right now in MLS, Montreal, vancouver, Seattle,Portland,
    If that is true my God the MSL is even worse than I thought.

I Initailly peeged the MSL equivalent to a Divison2/Divison 3 in Europe. If your telling me that half the teams in the USL can play and compete in the MSL than I was wrong.

THE MSL is equivalent to a DIVISION 4 in EUROPE!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thats MLS guy, not MSL and dont watch it if ya dont like it.
    It certainly seems that way with the way you talk about it.