Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Isn't this refreshing?

Man, I was driving around today after the win over the Revs, and it really struck me just how, well, nice things are right now as a TFC supporter. Probably for the first time in the club's existence, with the exception of maybe year one, when we didn't give a shit about the results.

For the first time ever, we are having debates about whether a draw on the road was a good result (i.e. Vancouver), instead of losing our minds over who is the shittiest TFC player, after getting wallpapered 2-0 or 3-0 by some team we should have beaten.

We aren't being suffocated by locker room drama, or posting non-stop about how abysmal our defending is. We aren't freaking out when games reach the 75 minute mark.

Things are just... good. And it doesn't feel like that "we got lucky" or "flash in the pan" type of good, either. It feels like a group of guys really coming together around a new system, working harder and for each other, and grinding out results. I'm really positive about this group at the moment, and it feels great. Preki is squeezing every last drop out of this team.

And I'm also thrilled beyond measure that my never-ending faith in Chad Barrett is finally being rewarded.

So how about that, guys? How are you feeling?

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

your last point is the best part. those of us long term Barrett supporters couldn't be happier to have a bunch of new members. its great to see hard work pay off. certainly have confidence that we are moving in the right direction. Adrian Cann has turned out to be a fantastic signing.

one thing though. i don't like Nick Garcia anymore than most people, but i don't think booing his name being announced is the right thing to do.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, I'll bite.

I nearly feel asleep during today's game.

We are so thin that Garcia was our captain today.

If Joseph had been match fit he would have scored on those free headers.

Mo must go!

Have at 'er…
    “We changed the entire league’s opinion of the viability of soccer in North America. And then we blew it because we chickened out." —Tim Leiweke

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm happy for the boys on the pitch, but for supporters too.

It's nice to come to RPB board and don't get right away 2-3 reported posts,and just like you said debating who was our shitiest player on the field.

Right now I'm enjoying the moment, and cold

Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto_Bhoy View Post
    Okay, I'll bite.

We are so thin that Garcia was our captain today.

If Joseph had been match fit he would have scored on those free headers.

Mo must go!

Have at 'er…
    I don't know should I ban you for a week or a month for being a , really?

How about ,you ban yourself from this thread ,and everything is ok.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Visit your doctor. Falling asleep during the day is usually a sign of an underlying physical problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Man, I was driving around today after the win over the Revs, and it really struck me just how, well, nice things are right now as a TFC supporter. Probably for the first time in the club's existence, with the exception of maybe year one, when we didn't give a shit about the results.

For the first time ever, we are having debates about whether a draw on the road was a good result (i.e. Vancouver), instead of losing our minds over who is the shittiest TFC player, after getting wallpapered 2-0 or 3-0 by some team we should have beaten.

We aren't being suffocated by locker room drama, or posting non-stop about how abysmal our defending is. We aren't freaking out when games reach the 75 minute mark.

Things are just... good. And it doesn't feel like that "we got lucky" or "flash in the pan" type of good, either. It feels like a group of guys really coming together around a new system, working harder and for each other, and grinding out results. I'm really positive about this group at the moment, and it feels great. Preki is squeezing every last drop out of this team.

And I'm also thrilled beyond measure that my never-ending faith in Chad Barrett is finally being rewarded.

- Scott
    I agree Scott, and I echoed your sentiments earlier in the season. The most encouraging sign is that despite the difficult schedule and roster shuffling, TFC is off to a very respectable start to the season.

I actually thought TFC would be slower out of the gate and start coming together in the second half but it seems clear that this group has already bought into Preki's defensive team oriented system and are executing effectively, especially while protecting the lead.

The players brought in late in the pre-season have started to contribute on a consistent basis. Incumbent players such as DeRo, Barrett, White, Attakora, and Sanyang have played at a higher level of intensity as well. JDG has shown flashes of brilliance but hasn't even reached his potential yet.

Overall, I think we have yet to see what this club is truly capable of under Preki's tutelage which bodes well for our chances of legitimate success this season...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, it's refreshing. It feels good. The team has fight.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Overall, I think we have yet to see what this club is truly capable of under Preki's tutelage which bodes well for our chances of legitimate success this season...
    ... and hopefully Preki can get us into the post season, and in so doing become the very first coach in TFC history to be with us for 2 seasons.

Imagine next year, with a fully jelled squad, a proper pre-season for everyone, no longer carrying most of salaries of people we dumped due to Mo's multi-year deals, and the ability to add a few key pieces. Next year TFC could actually challenge for something beyond the Voyageur's Cup.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree.

it's disconcerting though, I'm by nature a very cynical person, I need to have something to complain about.

I'm quite uncomfortable with all this relative success.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As one of the vocal voices against TFC mismanagement, I for one am happy to report that I am enjoying this great period of TFC results and I won't ruin it with complaints or disatisfaction. When things are going wrong, I will stand up and point them out. But life is short, and when things are going great, you never know when they're going to end, so I for one will take it by the horns and milk it for everything I can. Time for complaints will come. I have no doubt.

I am very happy with Barrett's current form and the happiness on his face is happiness for me. Walk on Chad...keep it up!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    I don't know should I ban you for a week or a month for being a , really?

How about ,you ban yourself from this thread ,and everything is ok.
    Ha! Ha!

Keep drinking the Kool Aid, Denime…like I said…I'll bite.

If your happy with Nick Garcia as captain…that's cool…your entitled…the board is all about opinions. But please don't suggested that people are not entitled to their's.

Sure, I'll take the three points…for me, today illustrated how much we depend on DeRo and JDG. How we had trouble getting a grasp of the midfield and how we still don't have someone who can finish. The team did work very hard today and we're rewarded. Bravo.

I was hoping in the absence of our top two I'd see some "bench strength"…personally, I didn't but it's still early! We can make changes!

But in order to move forward we need to get better and…in my opinion…we still need a striker (sorry Chad's not it) and a CB to advance to the next level.

But that's just my opinion…which apparently is worthy of banning?
    “We changed the entire league’s opinion of the viability of soccer in North America. And then we blew it because we chickened out." —Tim Leiweke

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ha! Ha!

Keep drinking the Kool Aid, Denime…like I said…I'll bite.

If your happy with Nick Garcia as captain…that's cool…your entitled…the board is all about opinions. But please don't suggested that people are not entitled to their's.

Sure, I'll take the three points…for me, today illustrated how much we depend on DeRo and JDG. How we had trouble getting a grasp of the midfield and how we still don't have someone who can finish. The team did work very hard today and we're rewarded. Bravo.

I was hoping in the absence of our top two I'd see some "bench strength"…personally, I didn't but it's still early! We can make changes!

But in order to move forward we need to get better and…in my opinion…we still need a striker (sorry Chad's not it) and a CB to advance to the next level.

But that's just my opinion…which apparently is worthy of banning?

There is nothing factually wrong with your post TB, but at the end of the day we have to ask ourselves if there will ever be a time that we can enjoy this team or not. There is so little to celebrate that my recommendation to all Toronto fans is to enjoy the good news and good results when they come, because surely, we will see bad times again, all the more likely if Mo sticks around of course.

Sometimes, it's just fun (and healthy) to celebrate 3 points.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    There is nothing factually wrong with your post TB, but at the end of the day we have to ask ourselves if there will ever be a time that we can enjoy this team or not. There is so little to celebrate that my recommendation to all Toronto fans is to enjoy the good news and good results when they come, because surely, we will see bad times again, all the more likely if Mo sticks around of course.

Now there's a MOD who get's it!

Point taken Roogsy.

Like I stated in my very first post, "I'll bite"…I didn't say "they sucked"!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we had our three best players out and we still won.

discipline, organisation and working hard for each other, preki's got us playing hard. this was probably one of the worst line-ups we'll put out all season, and they got the job done. we're like the puerto rico islanders last year, except we have three really good players to put back into the line up.

Ideally we'd add more quality on top of those 3 players. we clearly need another striker, so we can have someone good and chad, and white on the bench. ibbe really isn't up to the job, neither is gala, and I'm not really convinced by white, he's a sub at best.

either way, yes it's really refreshing to be complaining and nit picking about minor things after our 5th consecutive home win, and 5th consecutive undefeated game.

preki is god. That's a drunken overexagerration, buit he's really really good.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- Scott[/quote]

Notice how the boards are actually occasonally boring...no heartfelt anger, happiness is deflating. Posts are actually popping up with interesting ideas.....LOL...However,,,

I am/was a Barrett critic, he has come a long way, and would still be overreacting, without the srong confidence support given by JDG, DeRo as well the coach. Attacking from the wings and now giving strong accurate passes is his strenghth....and I for one am thankfull for that. It is when we ask him to do everything that, in his favour, he does try and obviously fails.......I don't mind eating my past criticisms if he carries on as he does.....it's never been as we know a question of his effort....He is now in many ways a crucial part of the team. I'm glad to be proven wrong...he is making a decent wage, remember, for the faith you've had the past years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And three points from a lot of bench players is worth celebrating.

As for Mo his bosses do seem to like him. Anyway, here's how I look at it. Mo had nowhere near enough experience to be handed a team (especially an expansion team), that never should have happened, but that's on the guy who hired him not him. Since then he's gained experience. Has he become better at his job? Most people do get better their first four years in a job. It's too bad we paid for his on-the-job-training, but you never know, we might get something back for that now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I all for this golly gee let's have fun thing. It's been hard, cold, freezing cold, and I do everything to tape or see every game, except for the opener last year MLS treated me with tickets and it took 24 hours to thaw out after. That was one of the highlights of my life.

Now I did fall asleep, and yes there is chemo and radiation behind the sleeping but I can rewind.

I still hope at the end of the day the kindergarten teachers give us enough money to pay for a decent bench. But who knows, the Leafs don't seem to need anyone at all, and are content to fill the stands with guys in 2,000 suits buying each other single malts while the real supporters pull out their alleged hair.

I'm for one glad they have a few days rest.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    And three points from a lot of bench players is worth celebrating.

As for Mo his bosses do seem to like him. Anyway, here's how I look at it. Mo had nowhere near enough experience to be handed a team (especially an expansion team), that never should have happened, but that's on the guy who hired him not him. Since then he's gained experience. Has he become better at his job? Most people do get better their first four years in a job. It's too bad we paid for his on-the-job-training, but you never know, we might get something back for that now.
    Let's not make this thread into a thread about Mo. There's plenty on there for that and if anyone else reacts to your statement about Mo the way I did initially, the thread will go from good to bad quick. How about we don't tempt fate and let the positive thread stay positive for once?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we have been winning games lately yes, and are perfect at home. But its early and hard to say if we are actuallly a good team this year.

And todays game was pretty borring i agree, what was with so many players rolling on the ground today to? wasted so much time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I think boring is a bit harsh. There was some ebb and flow, some high and low, but there was some good attacking movements and some desperate defending, both of which provided some excitement.

I'm feeling good about the team, I still think there are a few holes, but it's looking good. One thing I've learned, never listen to the Internet. People here and on other forums were saying Cann is Canada's version of Garcia - as if.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's not make this thread into a thread about Mo. There's plenty on there for that and if anyone else reacts to your statement about Mo the way I did initially, the thread will go from good to bad quick. How about we don't tempt fate and let the positive thread stay positive for once?

Ha ha, deal .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you watching giambac?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- Scott
    I feel you should concentrate on the road when your driving. It's really refreshing that once the 75 minute mark roles around, you don't think about how long it is going to be before they screw it up. Sometimes you are going to blow a lead at the end of the game but that happens. Unlike last year where it was game after game of blown leads and points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Things felt good early May of last year when we were sitting first place. Even in season 1 by mid May we had just beaten Chicago and then Houston and were in the running.

Reality check. Look at our history, we've always started out half decent. Everything goes south after Fathers day. Not just south, but absolutely plummets. Look at our end of season schedule. Where is the fortress? It's on the road... no home games. We have a history of failure mid-late season.

Things looking good now? Yes... they always have this time of season... each time in our first three seasons (we did have first place in both year 2 and 3 for a brief moment). Things change. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news and reality.

I do feel things will be different this year though, and I say that thanks to our defense (amazingly). Cann has done wonders, and Sangyang... good for him.

We'll do better this time around, but unless you have a really short memory, you should remember just how well we were sitting in previous years...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mighty: Told u the five year plan would work!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Preki and DeRo gets massive props for getting Barrett out of his funk. Love seeing Barrett playing well
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You have to be encouraged by the performance today...although we weren't great, we still came away with the result. Can't complain when we've now not conceded a goal in four consecutive matches. Preki really does seem to be whipping the lads into shape. And Barrett has just been on fire lately...arguably should have had a hat-trick today.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bench strength is a rarity in MLS due to the budget constraints. That being said, how many teams in the world could replace the spine of their team (JDG, Dero and Nana) without missing a step? I would argue very few, if any. We still have holes to address, but we're doing better than I thought...

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i see progress, and that is worth celebrating. we got three points, and that is worth celebrating ... we still have things to work on and gaps to be filled etc but i'm quite content with what i'm seeing and if we play out the rest of this season like we have so far, i'll be more than happy ... when Preki took over, all i wanted to see was a team that played like a team. now that the politicking has left centre stage and there's been a bit of a culture change/attitude change in the locker room, it looks like we're well on our way to being the 'All for One' team that we want to be

ps not gonna lie, every time we pass the 75 minute mark, a feeling of dread still sets in

pps i like kool aid
    ~ illegitimi non carborundum ~