Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mdc 77 View Post
    If I remember correctly the 3/4pm start times were the outcome of a poll on the clubs website. Personally I love the 3pm start times and hope things remain this way in the future.
    My bad...just saw this.

Like you, I like the 3pm, but wouldn't mind a game a month at night. Definitely not a fan of the 1pm start, especially if it were June/July/August when it is smoking hot at that time.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dupont View Post
    I hate the early start times too but I really doubt it's because the front office is being gay.
    Everyone knows that gay people party later in the evening.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    lol... I'm glad I sold my tickets for this game. 1pm kickoffs mean bed at 6pm.
    That's my problem with 1 pm start as well. damn eurosnobs messing with my drinking habits. damn FO giving in to their selfish demands.

4pm start times work great for me, I don't consider that an early start at all, it allows for a lazy morning, then really sets up a good saturday.

quality of play is important, I apologise lesh for not being as concerned as you are, truly you are a purist and a hero, but let's face it, if that was the most important thing, i wouldn't be watching MLS.
    Last edited by Darlofletch; 05-17-2010 at 11:00 AM. Reason: typing is hard sometimes.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LesH View Post
    lol, you can send me a beer here, in New Jersey, or wait when (hopefully) I go once a year to Toronto.
    Er, then what are you so upset about?! You won't even be coming to the games dude. PVR the match and watch it whenever you want.
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't care wither way. I either wake up way early to get to games or I loose most of my Saturday night with getting back. I'm screwed wither way.

I'm just glad we aren't doing the tailgate or I'd be on the road at like 7:00am.
    [B]75 Mile Bastards[/B]
    [B]Tailgate Team[/B] [B]Underling[/B]
    [B]Season Ticket Holder 110 Row 33 Seat 9[/B] [B]aka The Bastards' Perch[/B]
    [B]Red Patch Boy through and through. :scarf:[/B][SIZE=6][B][COLOR=SeaGreen]
    [/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like a nice mix of times myself. And I don't mind this weekend @ 1:00 PM.

There is a very important game after I'd like to watch.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol, you can send me a beer here, in New Jersey, or wait when (hopefully) I go once a year to Toronto.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcho View Post
    Er, then what are you so upset about?! You won't even be coming to the games dude. PVR the match and watch it whenever you want.
    I think his point is that it affects the quality of play, tired players in the hot sun, this saturday specifically we haven't had enough rest.

Which makes sense if he only gets to watch on tv, the rest of the experience doesn't matter to him as much.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mango Kid View Post
    If I recall - and Paul can confirm - back in the early days, there was a poll running at the TFC site for start times and 3pm starts were the runaway winner over evening games, or earlier starts for that matter.
    True, If you ran the same poll today, you'd get the same results.

The #2 choice was 3PM for most of the year, with night games in July and August.

Advantage of day games for ML$E -- more beer sales!

hmmm maybe time for a poll to confirm this. I'll post one.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

MUFC_Niagara

early games work better for me. i get home earlier.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What upsets me is the bad weather we've been experiencing. The forecast is for thunderstorms this Saturday!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ACSertL View Post
    Well this weekend is the Champions League final. I think the TFC match was originally scheduled for 4pm but in the interest of those that would be watching the finals (myself included) they pushed up the time.

The other matches I can't speak to.
    ah yes, but TFC failed to take into account the Mississauga International Tournament. 4pm would be easier for me, but 1pm will be smack bang in the middle of my lad's games.

Typical MLSE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha should of read up the thread seems its all ready mentioned....

I remember there being a poll at the TFC site...prior to season one....regarding what time would fans prefer TFC home games...

I believe the 4pm start time was the winner!

I'm sure if such a poll was posted again...Night games would win hands down!..

90% of all other MLS team games are at night...we seem to be the only team that does not prefer this time slot!...not sure why...

Maybe PAUL could answer that that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    It is a little odd when you figure we're the only team in the entire league that basically plays every Saturday game in the afternoon.
    What's odd is that more league games are not on Saturday afternoons. I find these games to be the best time to watch.
    And in Europe the crux of the games are on weekends in the mid to late afternoon time slot.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the consistency. I like the 1pm because not much else has that time slot. The heat is hot. Hot for me. Hot for the team. Hot for the other team. Summer is hot. Right now it's not.

Is this really the first thread to talk about this?
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RPB_RED_NATION_RPB View Post

90% of all other MLS team games are at night...we seem to be the only team that does not prefer this time slot!...not sure why...

Maybe PAUL could answer that that?
    It's likely to do with CBC coverage. I doubt we have the viewership for primetime, and we'd not even be an option in NHL season.
    3.30/4pm is a good timeslot for CBC season-long.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mlsintoronto View Post
    There is always a reason.

Just as there is a reason why I am freaking gay.
    So whats the reason PB?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Cityboy View Post
    ah yes, but the FIFA failed to take into account the Mississauga International Tournament when programming the Champion's League Final. 4pm would be easier for me, but 1pm will be smack bang in the middle of my lad's games.

Typical FIFA
    There you have it. I corrected it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WOW, from the posts until now it seems nobody cares that in hot summer days the quality of play usually suffers because of the heat, unless games are played in the evening...
    i love hot days at BMO fan support seems louder on days like that

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darlofletch View Post
    I think his point is that it affects the quality of play, tired players in the hot sun, this saturday specifically we haven't had enough rest.

Which makes sense if he only gets to watch on tv, the rest of the experience doesn't matter to him as much.
    Meh. Every club complains about this at some point, or Ferguson complains about it weekly all season long at MUFC. There's no ideal solution for every team to get optimum start times, and those all conflict anyway, especially in Namerica with the travel distances and time zones. So one fan's preference is another fan's complaint.

I mean, I agree with the point in principle, but this is old rope for just about every major sports league everywhere I think. There's always a reason WHY a game is moved, usually money related in some way (or to avoid drunken fights between fans), the teams just have to roll with the punches.

Anyway, like we've seen already in here and the poll thread, there's a pretty even split among fans as to preferred start times so there's not even unison there.
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Cityboy View Post
    It's likely to do with CBC coverage. I doubt we have the viewership for primetime, and we'd not even be an option in NHL season.
    3.30/4pm is a good timeslot for CBC season-long.
    Bingo. That's the reason.
    Even though soccer has more participants, as far as TV goes, hockey is still king.
    Sure theirs the CL game, but I don't see how it would have hockey numbers, especially since their is still a Canadian team in it, which means more numbers here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if it hasn't been said yet, simple answer is TV contract