Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Why are so many games so early in the day at BMO Field?

The coming Saturday the game is at 1 PM.

Except October-April no games scheduled at BMO Field should be earlier than 5 PM (this excepted period only to try to get some warmth from the sun...), plus ALL games scheduled between mid June -August should begin at 7 PM or 7.30 PM.

Who decides the time start of the games at home, just the home club, or the visitors have to say something in it to?
    If only home side decides the start, than TFC's FO is freaking gay in it's programming of the start of games.

What's your opinion about this?
    Last edited by LesH; 05-17-2010 at 10:02 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well this weekend is the Champions League final. I think the TFC match was originally scheduled for 4pm but in the interest of those that would be watching the finals (myself included) they pushed up the time.

The other matches I can't speak to.
    Proud Supporter of: FC Bayern München, AIK Solna, Toronto FC, Nottingham Forest FC

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LesH View Post

Except October-April no games scheduled at BMO Field should be earlier than 5 PM (this excepted period only to try to get some warmth from the sun...), plus ALL games sceduled between mid June -August should begin at 7 PM or 7.30 PM.

Who decides the time start of the games at home, just the home club, or the visitors have to say something in it to?
    If only home side decides the start, than TFC's FO is freaking gay in it's programming of the start of games.

The May 22nd game was moved to an earlier time because the original time conflicted with the Champions League final on that same day.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also....

at "freaking gay"
    Proud Supporter of: FC Bayern München, AIK Solna, Toronto FC, Nottingham Forest FC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Except October-April no games scheduled at BMO Field should be earlier than 5 PM (this excepted period only to try to get some warmth from the sun...), plus ALL games sceduled between mid June -August should begin at 7 PM or 7.30 PM.

There is always a reason.

Just as there is a reason why I am freaking gay.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ you always seemed like a pretty happy guy Paul

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    The May 22nd game was moved to an earlier time because the original time conflicted with the Champions League final on that same day.
    I know about the Champ's League Final, but why they couldn't move it instead down in the day, like 7 or 7.30 PM?
    4-7 hours of extra rest counts a lot when between TFC's matches are only 2 days of rest, plus a very long travel across 3 time zones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TV, MLS FO (really gay), home team, away team (maybe).....did I mention TV?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know about the Champ's League Final, but why they couldn't move it instead down in the day, like 7 or 7.30 PM?
    4-7 hours of extra rest counts a lot when between TFC's matches are only 2 days of rest, plus a very long travel across 3 time zones.
    no offence; but do you really want to watch the champions league final, and then watch tfc?
    makes the quality of play, that much crappier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mlsintoronto View Post
    There is always a reason.

Just as there is a reason why I am freaking gay.

LOL. Let's get freaky!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really ... you have no idea why that could be an issue???

Broadcasting.

It's not like TFC can just call up Sportsnet or CBC and say - hey guys, we're moving the game, so can you change your schedule for us? Oh, playoff hockey?? who cares ... we're TFC change put us in that time slot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I, for one, love it. It gives me my Saturday evening to do as I like (hopefully celebrating a victory).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I hadn't seen this thread, I may have shown up to BMO at 4.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eustacchio View Post
    lol, you can send me a beer here, in New Jersey, or wait when (hopefully) I go once a year to Toronto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eustacchio View Post
    There's been two threads about this already - also articles in news of the day section...

Also, a long discussion about it - as pressure from fans was one of the reasons for the move (to watch Champions League Final)...

Plus, TFC will e-mail us all a reminder about the game time later this week...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like watching games in prime time, but I recognize competition for viewers is tough.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Except October-April no games scheduled at BMO Field should be earlier than 5 PM (this excepted period only to try to get some warmth from the sun...), plus ALL games scheduled between mid June -August should begin at 7 PM or 7.30 PM.

Personally, I would love to have Saturday evening games.

As for why the games are so early? Blame the CBC. They dictate the start times for the Saturday games they broadcast. For example, the game at noon in July is the lead in to the World Cup 3rd place match.

As for this Saturday, I really wished TFC and CBC didn`t make such a half assed effort with the game time change. Should have moved the time to either noon or at night. The 1pm kick off still conflicts with the Champions League. Stupid move, imo. It still pisses me off that the club tries to pass this off as doing it for the fans yet they still can`t get it right. Both the 1pm or 4pm start times conflict. If you are going to go to the trouble of changing the time, do it right.

The funny thing is that CBC is showing the Flyers v Canadiens this Saturday at 3pm. So the game would probably have been moved anyways, just last minute.
    Last edited by menefreghista; 05-17-2010 at 10:16 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is a little odd when you figure we're the only team in the entire league that basically plays every Saturday game in the afternoon.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Professional sports should never start before 3pm.

I hate having to get moving to a sporting event at 10:30 or 11 am.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Billy the kid View Post
    I like watching games in prime time, but I recognize competition for viewers is tough.
    Exactly what I was going to say. Especially during hockey season.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    It is a little odd when you figure we're the only team in the entire league that basically plays every Saturday game in the afternoon.
    Exactly.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post
    Personally, I would love to have Saturday evening games.

As for why the games are so early? Blame the CBC. They dictate the start times for the Saturday games they broadcast. For example, the game at noon in July is the lead in to the World Cup 3rd place match.

As for this Saturday, I really wished TFC and CBC didn`t make such a half assed effort with the game time change. Should have moved the time to either noon or at night. The 1pm kick off still conflicts with the Champions League. Stupid move, imo. It still pisses me off that the club tries to pass this off as doing it for the fans yet they still can`t get it right. Both the 1pm or 4pm start times conflict. If you are going to go to the trouble of changing the time, do it right.

The funny thing is that CBC is showing the Flyers v Canadiens this Saturday at 3pm. So the game would probably have been moved anyways, just last minute.

+ 1 on some additional Saturday evening games. Not every Saturday, but I would like 2 or 3 more during the summer months.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think enough reasons have been given for the early start times, but that aside, I honestly don't mind it. With midweek games, we have enough evening fixtures as it is. Nothing like a sunny day, an ice cold beer, and watching TFC. Plus it leaves the evening free to do other things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol... I'm glad I sold my tickets for this game. 1pm kickoffs mean bed at 6pm.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    There's been two threads about this already - also articles in news of the day section...

Also, a long discussion about it - as pressure from fans was one of the reasons for the move (to watch Champions League Final)...

Plus, TFC will e-mail us all a reminder about the game time later this week...

Carts...
    I figured I'd missed it (in several other places), and I'm sure I would have seen it some where before Saturday.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I remember correctly the 3/4pm start times were the outcome of a poll on the clubs website. Personally I love the 3pm start times and hope things remain this way in the future.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WOW, from the posts until now it seems nobody cares that in hot summer days the quality of play usually suffers because of the heat, unless games are played in the evening...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I recall - and Paul can confirm - back in the early days, there was a poll running at the TFC site for start times and 3pm starts were the runaway winner over evening games, or earlier starts for that matter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate the early start times too but I really doubt it's because the front office is being gay.
    Everyone knows that gay people party later in the evening.