Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think there's enough room at York U. unless you want to build 1 field only and you will still have to allow their football team to use it as well.

Not sure why they don't just retrofit an existing place, like the Ontario Soccer Centre.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    I wonder if York U might make a proposal for this.. they are always grabbing shit that comes up (tennis stadium, trying to get soccer and Argos up there, Archives of Ontario).
    The subway is coming, so it might be a decent spot for public transit, with a willing partner. They haven't done anything with the lands up there that already have fields. Might be a little tight in the corner though, and with the subway coming that area could be crazy busy with construction.
    I like the York U idea, central location, the space is there, subway coming eventually, but property values are questionable. Having the training facility near *gasp* Jane and Finch (north side of Finch, between 400 & Jane) would have cheaper property value, revitalize the area (which is a good way for MLSE to acquire sorely needed goodwill) and market its product to a demographic that is not yet consuming.

The administrators at York U can rent it and host Canadian University tournaments / play their home games there.

Wherever it is located, I think the best thing to do is to put it in a highly visible area and increase the reach / frequency of marketing in that segment. When I lived in BC, the BC Lions put their practice field in Surrey (suburb of Vancouver) but it wasn't readily visible except remotely by SkyTrain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jane and Steeles might have enough space right at the 400 and 407 crossing. I don't think Jane and Finch has enough undeveloped land.

The other location that is not further then 407/427 or the 401/407 would be in Oakville right beside the Drive in near the ford plant, on Ninth Line.

but of all the area's suggested the old Generating plant area in Mississauga is the closest and most available. But has some environmental clean up. It would be a neat way to use that land though.

427 and rexdale right behind Woodbine is another location with enough land.
    Last edited by Kaz; 05-14-2010 at 05:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    But isn't Downsview Park federal land?
    No. They gave it to the city ac ouple of years ago and said do what you want. There is an org/body that takes care of it now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now can this finally put to rest all the 'MLSE won't spend money' crap?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post
    No. They gave it to the city ac ouple of years ago and said do what you want. There is an org/body that takes care of it now.
    Yeah, and they've done nothing with it.

Downsview would be perfect, actually.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Downsview is my vote..Plenty of space, close to the 401, close to a subway station. Already has 3 outdoor fields and several indoor fields in the hanger..Already owned by the government, and was supposed to be a sportsplex back in the day, hotel and business centre across the street, extremely close to a community in need of public/private funds..If it could handle sars stock and the Pope and multiple concerts, it could more than handle a TFC training ground..

Plus a Toronto Adult soccer league runs their business out of there, you'll have no problem with permitting the space. Using the hanger as an example..

AND AND there's an airport there, for those high profile friendlies...

AND it's also close to the North York Astros, instant rivalry.

Please choose downsview

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I got up this afternoon and checked my email, I was STUNNED beyond belief when I saw the email from TFC outlining the new practise facility. In all honesty, I've never seen such an ambitious plan put forward before by any Toronto sports club in a very long time. I know I can be awfully critical of the club at times, but this development is one huge step forward for our team and the sport in Toronto and I'm really pleased that MLSE went all-out for this.

This facility does more than provide the obvious benefits for the club and city, it also represents a commitment by ownership and management. And THAT speaks volumes to me.

Paul and his crew did very good by this.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stoked View Post
    Downsview is my vote..Plenty of space, close to the 401, close to a subway station. Already has 3 outdoor fields and several indoor fields in the hanger..Already owned by the government, and was supposed to be a sportsplex back in the day, hotel and business centre across the street, extremely close to a community in need of public/private funds..If it could handle sars stock and the Pope and multiple concerts, it could more than handle a TFC training ground..

Plus a Toronto Adult soccer league runs their business out of there, you'll have no problem with permitting the space. Using the hanger as an example..

AND AND there's an airport there, for those high profile friendlies...

AND it's also close to the North York Astros, instant rivalry.

Please choose downsview
    I can't see it being there. If Downsview Park did that they would basically be bringing in a competitor to one of their best revenue generating tenants/facilities.

I haven't seen their plan for the area in a few years, but I don't think its part of it. As you said they have The Hangar and 2 outdoor turf fields already on site.

EDIT: reading some of the posts in this thread it is a possibility. But I am still sceptical.
    Last edited by AL-MO; 05-15-2010 at 12:46 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post
    They didn't quite give it to the City, but yeah its not federal land anymore.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wasn't part of the deal for getting grass at BMO was a community field in the city of Toronto like the ones in the presentation. If that's the case then this training ground, to me, has to be placed somewhere within the city limits and close to the downtown area.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cherry beach would be good. major transportation hub in a redeveloping area. the donlands is being used for the pan am games, then being converted into residential afterwoods. that whole area is going to change significantly in the next 5 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keystone FC View Post
    Wasn't part of the deal for getting grass at BMO was a community field in the city of Toronto like the ones in the presentation. If that's the case then this training ground, to me, has to be placed somewhere within the city limits and close to the downtown area.
    the grass for community fields deal is completely separate deal from this training ground plan. They can put this training ground wherever -- doesn't have to be in Toronto. Although for convenience it'd be best to have it there.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The deal to put the bubble on Lamport pretty much took care of any community use requirements.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice Find. This looks quite impressive and adds to our list of accomplishemnts that at the club that have not won us an MLS CUP. I do understand that this should help us in that quest, however we alll want to see a playoff game at BMO and win now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Cityboy View Post
    further proof that there are good and smart people at this club who see that the way forward is thru developing a conveyer belt of talent to graduate to the first team (like Manchester City, West Ham, Villa and Boro in the UK).
    And unlike all those clubs, there's a higher marginal benefit to Canadian soccer.

There's no shortage of proper academies and training facilities in England to develop English talent, but here they're as scarce as rain in the Sahara.

Good on MLSE to take the initiative, this will put TFC on par with the Whitecaps FC for best academy program in North America.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you attract the hottest chicks in town? With the best God damn vehicle and rims that money can buy you...

How do you attract the best Futbol players in North America? You send out Paul Bernie on a Mission to build the best Training Facility in the Continent.

This is Biblical... Anyone who calls MLSE cheap needs to realize that a new Gospel has been written with TFC.... this is motherfcuking it.
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FluSH View Post
    How do you attract the hottest chicks in town? With the best God damn vehicle and rims that money can buy you...

How do you attract the best Futbol players in North America? You send out Paul Bernie on a Mission to build the best Training Facility in the Continent.

This is Biblical... Anyone who calls MLSE cheap needs to realize that a new Gospel has been written with TFC.... this is motherfcuking it.
    With the exception of original construction of BMO, TFC has never been cheap. They spend at or near the cap, they've expanded the stadium, they've installed grass.

You can't even accuse them of being cheap with the Leafs or the Raptors...

It's shoddy management, not a lack of will to win or spend at the level required to win.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was trying to be diplomatic, but you're absolutely right, Flushie. The plans I've seen on the PDF are beyond impressive. They're fucking off-the-hook! Throw in the fact of how many community groups and/or schools will benefit from the facility and you'll see how Toronto has quickly become the top contender for the soccer capital of Canada.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 05-15-2010 at 08:57 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would love downsview park as the target... anything that might get more occasional drop ins to pickup footy games at the hanger... although rohan never passed the ball when he got it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UTSC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bene89 View Post
    UTSC
    that'd make De Ro happy.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say downsview, but only after the Pan Am stadium crap is sorted out (b/c I feel taht the stadium would fit perfectly there and be the new home of the argos)

The alternative location I say would be somewhere on the waterfront from Oakville towards Mimico, I am sure enough land could be found to fit in what they want
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it fell through as TFC wanted something in Etobicoke but Pantilone said nyet.
    hence this is a whole new fresh approach that doesn't necessarily have to be in the Toronto city limits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sad way to pick up chicks if you ask me.
    I get hot chicks and I drive a clunker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cas87 View Post
    I'd say downsview, but only after the Pan Am stadium crap is sorted out (b/c I feel taht the stadium would fit perfectly there and be the new home of the argos)

The alternative location I say would be somewhere on the waterfront from Oakville towards Mimico, I am sure enough land could be found to fit in what they want
    Mississauga would be perfect. Hazel needs to jump on this to get Missy some 1st rate facilities and finally once and for all a stadium of some kind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boban View Post
    Mississauga would be perfect. Hazel needs to jump on this to get Missy some 1st rate facilities and finally once and for all a stadium of some kind.
    Where in Mississauga should TFC build a training facility?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Where in Mississauga should TFC build a training facility?
    Hershey Center area? Tons of open space.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto is lacking, sports facilities....unless you want all these kids to grow up not playing sports and doing whatever, there are just too many underprivelged kids, without even frigin grass in their schoolyards....In miss, schools have grass fields..large fields.....smart choice for society and inner city, has to be Toronto.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ agree. but the training facility is a private development for private purposes. societal needs are secondary when the Almighty Dollar is involved.