Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azerban View Post
    well, you're really asking "what do I prefer, for TFC to win the MLS Cup or for the MLS to compete with leagues like the EPL and La Liga, and then win the Cup?"

only a fool wouldn't pick the second option

if it was "TFC to win the Cup, or MLS turns into a major league, but we never win it because every other team is full of superstars at that point and our ownership is still buying washed up old fat guys who have 16 other clubs on their resume", then what do you pick?
    That's like picking the Maple Leafs isn't it? . I'd still rather watch the NHL then watch the Marlies, even if they guaranteed a cup every year I wouldn't even watch the final game. Never have and never will. I'd much rather watch a horrible team in the best league in the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if it was "TFC to win the Cup, or MLS turns into a major league, but we never win it because every other team is full of superstars at that point and our ownership is still buying washed up old fat guys who have 16 other clubs on their resume", then what do you pick?
    We're not quite there yet. To be fair I'm pretty sure if "superstar" signings become a trend in the league, MLSE will jump right in. This kind of thing is right up their alley.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Washed up old fat guys?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ How much are they paying me?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NY is being very smart with how they market Henry.

Too bad no one of that caliber will ever want to come to Toronto, even if MLSE rolled out the armoured car.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Time to skew a poll

We haven't done this in recent years, but it's time to skew a poll about NYRB and Henry.

http://www.newyorkredbulls.com/news/...ulls-go-season

Since the last option is the worst available, I selected it.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 07-14-2010 at 07:20 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did anyone else pick up that they made the announcement on the 14th...which is his number. Sneaky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^^Also, I think July 14 has some kind of significance to the French.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
    ^^^^Also, I think July 14 has some kind of significance to the French.
    Really?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by torontocelt View Post
    I wonder if he will do a Beckam and never atually play for his club team in Toronto? Not that it is all his fault but it is a bit weaird the scheduling ever year means he is unable to play.
    Beckham wouldn't play here because he wouldn't play on the turf.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Analysis: Sports marketing experts on why Thierry Henry's MLS move is not in the same league as David Beckham's

Frenchman does not have commercial pulling power as English icon...
    http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2888/...nrys-mls-move-

A really interesting article. Here is a really interesting idea:

Nevertheless, Hembert is convinced that a better financial model is for franchises to spend their money on developing home-grown players rather than recruiting stars like Henry.
    “The popularity of football has really increased in the US,” he said.
    “It is still not a major sport but it is growing rapidly. The 1994 World Cup was almost an unnoticed event in the US by the American people. But when you talk to American people now, they say that all the kids are playing soccer.
    “There are summer and winter camps, lots of English coaches are coming to the US to teach and it has a really high level of take-up. Football has taken a unique path in the US. It has grown through grass roots, schools and colleges. The fact that they are playing all year round is creating problems for other sports like baseball, which is, like cricket, a summer game.
    “It makes better financial sense for clubs to develop their own players and export them to the European market. Through that, they will start to get funds and attract more investment.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Henry should have stayed in Europe for another few seasons.....he will be amazing in the MLS but unfortunately unlike the reporters/league is saying his move to MLS still does not bring any more credibility to the league. A perfect example of this is the league in Qatar that signs big name players starting years ago with Gabriele Battistuta(sp?) Any one ever watch this league or know any teams that play with in it? Really it is just an active graveyard of over priced past it players, hopefully this is not what the MLS becomes or sooner rather than later the league like it's predessor from the 70's will go tits up

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Blue View Post
    Henry should have stayed in Europe for another few seasons.....he will be amazing in the MLS but unfortunately unlike the reporters/league is saying his move to MLS still does not bring any more credibility to the league. A perfect example of this is the league in Qatar that signs big name players starting years ago with Gabriele Battistuta(sp?) Any one ever watch this league or know any teams that play with in it? Really it is just an active graveyard of over priced past it players, hopefully this is not what the MLS becomes or sooner rather than later the league like it's predessor from the 70's will go tits up

I think the big thing with moving to MLS is the lifestyle.

Living in America is a big deal. Lights, Camera, Action - living in the same town as Jay-Z and Alicia keys is very cool. So to be able to play in the states, make a bit of coin, and have less critics and paparazzi is very attractive to players who have pretty much done it all abroad, but don't want to end their careers with tons of scrutiny.

Also, the guys who have come over here are very lifestyle oriented (Beckham, Henry, Lundjberg are all advertising whores). Their life outside football is just as important as their football life. The US gives them the chance to continue being models, advertising whores etc, whereas in Europe, the media has already moved on to the younger generation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Agreed, Henry coming to the MLS is not a football decision it is purely a choice made for the opportunity to live and experience America and the big city lights of New York City

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Beckham wouldn't play here because he wouldn't play on the turf.
    Wasn't the all star game on turf? I am pretty sure the madrid game was the first ever grass game?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think every time a very good player comes over from Europe there is an extra risk factor attached to him playing in the MLS since most players hare are clumsy tacklers and injury is quite likely especially for a player like Henry who can probably run circles around 2/3 of defenders in this league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by torontocelt View Post
    Wasn't the all star game on turf? I am pretty sure the madrid game was the first ever grass game?
    All-start was turf, but it would have been pretty hard for Becks to ditch that one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He also played at New York, New England and Vancouver (friendly) on FieldTurf.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    I hate to play this card, but let me know when a team other than NY or LA signs a big star. We aren't able to offer significantly more than an LA or NY would be in terms of $$. I thik a lot of people underestimate the pull of NY or LA on a European player looking to come play soccer in America.
    exaclty JonO.

don't get me wrong I love T.O. but it's a far cry from NYC or LA. I'd say most Europeans have heard of Toronto, but most couldn't place it on an unmarked map..... shit, what am I saying, half the people in the city couldn't do that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi View Post
    He also played at New York, New England and Vancouver (friendly) on FieldTurf.
    Yeah I knew there were other teams in the MLS who play on turf but did not know what ones. Becks cannot really say I refuse to play any games on turf as there are too many teams for that stipulation. I just think it is more than a coincidence that he has never played in TO against TO, whether that is down to him or the MLS I do not know?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hilarious/cringe worthy interview with Henry. These interviewers deserve an infinite number of facepalms.

http://deadspin.com/5592581/dumb-tv-...-soccer-things

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary Canuck View Post
    Hilarious/cringe worthy interview with Henry. These interviewers deserve an infinite number of facepalms.

http://deadspin.com/5592581/dumb-tv-...-soccer-things
    Oh GAWD! What idiots.

"So, you just won the World Cuuuuuuup?"

"No, not just. We lost this one."

Hahahahahaha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trezeguet's agent has hinted that he is interested in a reunion with Henry, and could sign with the Red Bulls next year ...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...nsfers&cc=5901

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All's I can say is preki better not have Uselessanov out against Henry or it'll be red card with the first 10 minutes