Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AL-MO View Post
    It was definitely a response.

Hell of an atmosphere in Saputo last night. Even though most in MTL were watching another game.
    Don't matter .. I was royally impressed .. There is a good group of hard core supporters there in Montreal and i can only believe that TFC supporters running amok in thier grounds will give more montrealers reason to overrun thier own stadium.. they have two years to get thier shit together.. As for you and all the travelling supporters I am geniuinely impressed and my hat is off to all of you.. merci ,thankyou, gracias. You guys make this city proud

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If flares were to be allowed into the hands of some kind of drunken idiot, it's only a matter of time before Frei gets the Dida treatment (flare to the head).
    Possibly some kind of flare registry, ie registering to be allowed to use flares possibly some kind of mandatory fire/flare safety seminar, that way you both reduce the likelihood that something will go wrong and will know exactly who causes the trouble. Of course I'm just throwing this idea out there but in no way saying it should happen, just brainstorming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally don't get the obsession with flares...

People saying "...they look really cool..." or "...they're awesome, badass..." is basically what it comes down to it seems...

I don't see the attraction...

Then you see internet pages full of videos with people blogging "...check this shit out, awesome..." and show a picture of a bunch of fans holding up flares etc...

Is that why people want them so much? So they can have a picture on the web so other people at home, surfing the web, say "...awesome..."...

Meh, not for me... Love supporting the team, singing, chanting, everything... But I don't get the obsession with holding up a flare...

Hell, I bet flares close to the pitch distract the home team, just as much as the road team... It comes down to a guy running into the corner, seeing an open flame and wondering if the guy holding it is drunk enough to chuck it on the field - hitting god knows who...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

flares? really...this is what gets u excited?

on the otherhand, flares at BMO would at least give me something more interesting to watch than the putrid soccer...

and when i say putrid soccer, i mean rotten stinky disgusting uncontrolled scared terrible sad disorganized soccer, which is on display MOST of the time. Not all the time, but most of the time...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    I personally don't get the obsession with flares...

People saying "...they look really cool..." or "...they're awesome, badass..." is basically what it comes down to it seems...

I don't see the attraction...

Then you see internet pages full of videos with people blogging "...check this shit out, awesome..." and show a picture of a bunch of fans holding up flares etc...

Is that why people want them so much? So they can have a picture on the web so other people at home, surfing the web, say "...awesome..."...

Meh, not for me... Love supporting the team, singing, chanting, everything... But I don't get the obsession with holding up a flare...

Hell, I bet flares close to the pitch distract the home team, just as much as the road team... It comes down to a guy running into the corner, seeing an open flame and wondering if the guy holding it is drunk enough to chuck it on the field - hitting god knows who...

Carts...
    I get what your saying Carts.. However in defense of these expensive and dangerous objects I would probably say that its one of the best forms of saluting your team.. I can't find real reasons for its history in the sport but since i was a youngin i have always known that flares are like a deterrent to a visiting supporters group and a great way of lighting up the stadium in support of your squad.. Considering we are in a new era of footy i suppose the use of flares has run its ground.. Flares only bring up controversy however there are still many faithful that attest to these ideas.. I can condone it as long as its done in a safe environment and totally kept under control.. Let it be known there are more dangerous things that happen in a stadium that could actually harm the fans in far worse ways. I rather everyone focus on some shiny bright flames then to get into scraps or start stabbing each other.. god forbid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lit flares and other open flames in soccer stadiums around the world have resulted in play stoppages, injury to players and fans, and in at least one case, the death of a spectator. They're also a beautiful addition to the beautiful game, and a dramatic, but dangerous, way to celebrate successes or vent frustrations

http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/b...en_flames.html
    Last edited by gtaguy; 05-13-2010 at 07:12 PM. Reason: again i state i don't condone it however it does look nice.. and better then rioting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocktml View Post
    Now thats football!

seriously?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think flares properly done look awesome and intimidating. That said, I have absolutely no problem with them being banned at BMO (or anywhere else, for that matter).

Flares are great, right up until the first time they aren't great, and some poor kid loses his vision, or someone gets burned, etc. etc. etc.

They are ultimately just cosmetic, and not worth making any deal over, let alone a big one.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ya another "look at these awesome displays" thread.

I love lookin at pics like this, but since 2007 I think this is easily the the 20 or 30th such thread. . .
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, let's all settle on massive dry ice machines and LED strobes! In my head it looks amazing!

1000 supporters with flashing bicycle lights under a (somewhat) breathable fog!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do we really have to revisit this debate every few months?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by neuf View Post
    Do we really have to revisit this debate every few months?
    Its a sign we're winning...

If we lost, we would have been revisiting the "lets protest Mo" for the infinite time in a few weeks...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gtaguy View Post
    sorry bro lost you scrolling down the page when i saw the alizee paradis link..
    She has pretty good pictures on her facebook.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It does look cool.
    But don't forget how that off-duty copy got serious burns on her leg after that punk kid from Stoney Creek Whipped his flair across from 111 to 112/113....like a coward.
    stuff like that is so not cool.
    I should be at risk of major bodily harm because some wannabe ootra hoodlum wants to look cool...but then chickens out after igniting his flare.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dickheads have proven they cant be allowed into BMO. Ontario health and safety, and fire regulations are too srict, and the liability issues are something MLSE probably doesnt want to deal with. Fuck man, theyve started throwing people out for tossing streamers. There are too many dickheads in our crowd, and Steve is absolutely correct, and I respect him for pointing it out.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We can't even sing a bloody song and we're going to let people hold flares?

Flares look awesome, no doubting that. My only issue with them is that it seems really timed and fake. I mean, like almost all of our chanting, it doesn't seem to matter what is going on in the match...it just becomes flare time.

If I could change one thing about TFC support it would be that all chanting/cheering/etc actually had something to do with what was going on in the match.
    Last edited by canadian_bhoy; 05-13-2010 at 09:41 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto_Bhoy View Post
    There are waaaaaaaaay too many retards at BMO to allow yahoos to handle shit like this. Do you really want some clown behind to you setting off flares and smoke bombs?

"Sorry dude, your jackets on fire but if its any consolation…you look really cool!"
    +1...sadly.

But damn, those flares look FUCKING AWESOME!
    Still possibly the only known RPB to appear on Masterchef Canada.
    (I think?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_bhoy View Post

Flares look awesome, no doubting that. My only issue with them is that it seems really timed and fake. I mean, like almost all of our chanting, it doesn't seem to matter what is going on in the match...it just becomes flare time.

If I could change one thing about TFC support it would be that all chanting/cheering/etc actually had something to do with what was going on in the match.
    +1. Fantastic post!

I love flares. I love chanting. But it should be in response to what is going on in the game. The only exception being of course the beginning of the game - which to me is THE BEST time to get the flares going anyway.

Betwixt the waters of the Humber and the Credit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gtaguy View Post
    I get what your saying Carts.. However in defense of these expensive and dangerous objects I would probably say that its one of the best forms of saluting your team.. I can't find real reasons for its history in the sport but since i was a youngin i have always known that flares are like a deterrent to a visiting supporters group and a great way of lighting up the stadium in support of your squad.. Considering we are in a new era of footy i suppose the use of flares has run its ground.. Flares only bring up controversy however there are still many faithful that attest to these ideas.. I can condone it as long as its done in a safe environment and totally kept under control.. Let it be known there are more dangerous things that happen in a stadium that could actually harm the fans in far worse ways. I rather everyone focus on some shiny bright flames then to get into scraps or start stabbing each other.. god forbid.
    So to recap
    - an object that burns at 1000+ F is dangerous
    - flares are a deterrent (if used as a weapon, I suppose?)
    - getting injured by a flare isn't the worst thing that could happen to you in a stadium

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio View Post
    There'll be lots of Central American Nights.. Keep it out of BMO, burn someone else's stadium down.
    To quote that fat turd Drw Carey "Name me one stadium that burned down because of a flare."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hustle View Post
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by rocktml View Post
    Now thats football!
    Actually that's a lot of flares. I wouldn't want to 'watch' a match in that toxic shit, might as well light up the napalm. I don't think it's really that cool. My opinion only.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank You!
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff s View Post
    What I don't get is how they cover the whole south end with smoke using those machines before kick off, but they won't let us use any smoke bombs or flares. In all honesty, whats the difference?
    Probably the fact that controlled pyrotechnics don't result in a couple of dipshits throwing lit flares into a crowd.

... anyone up for a protest Mo debate?
    Last edited by Pookie; 05-14-2010 at 05:33 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, let's hurl a flaming Vespa off the west side upper deck. Inter's won a bunch of scudettos since their loonies did that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find the people saying "now this is football!" (for example), amusing, because flares aren't even used widely in all of the major European football leagues. The Premier League is a good example - arguably the best league in the world, and virtually no use of flares.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mlsintoronto View Post
    The difference is Fire safety and control. Those things are not safe in a crowded environment and are illegal. Not negotiable. I think they look cool too until you ask me if I'm prepared to put the safety of our fans, your family, my kids, at risk.
    Spot on. As is Toronto Bhoy. Given the overwhelming number of complete muppets in the stands, flares are a non-starter.

And yes, I go to the football for the football.

If you love flares so much, then feel free to move to South America.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't hold your breath.

For that to happen, you actually need to be able to read the game. Not to shove your gob full of so much booze that you can barely stand. Not to repeat the same chants like a fucking jukebox even though most have no relevance to what's actually happening on the field.

If Ikea sold football support, they'd sell us.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    Hey, let's hurl a flaming Vespa off the west side upper deck. Inter's won a bunch of scudettos since their loonies did that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    I find the people saying "now this is football!" (for example), amusing, because flares aren't even used widely in all of the major European football leagues. The Premier League is a good example - arguably the best league in the world, and virtually no use of flares.

- Scott
    lets throw darts at each other and invade the pitch numerous times during the game. EPL is not the be all and end all of football.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)