Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Player Ratings: Chicago v. TFC

Hey guys, just to let you know as usual the player ratings will be found here later on. They won't be up right after the match as I've got something elsewhere but stay tuned they will come. Good luck to the guys today!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frei. 7.5. I'm not always a Frei believer, but he was good today. Kicked well into the wind.
    Usanov. 6.5 Let Nyarko get behind him too much but battled well.
    Cann 7.5 Good in the air, always safety-first. Good enough.
    Attakora 7 Was at fault for the corner that led to the first goal. Like Cann, needs to work on his touch, unlike Cann, that may be feasible.
    Gargan. 5 Not his position at LB, but... This area needs an upgrade, some one calm on the ball who can help build from the back.
    Peterson. 5. Anonymous.
    De Guzman. 8 Solid game, some giveaways.
    Gomez. 6.5 Good in the air, like him better than Saric, hope he's not hurt badly. Touch and passing has to be better.
    LaBrocca. 7 Good set pieces, not totally convinced.
    De Rosario. 8. Usual De Rosario game, missed his one chance.
    Barrett. 9 One of TFC's best players all year, is the finishing for real?
    White. 7.5 Good goal and setup, still needs to be able to hold the ball up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You lose All credibilty when you rate a guy who's been injured all season and didn't even dress. Then you give jdg an 8. Personally, There were alot better players on the field today for Toronto.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    You lose All credibilty when you rate a guy who's been injured all season and didn't even dress. Then you give jdg an 8. Personally, There were alot better players on the field today for Toronto.
    He accidentally switched Sanyang and Gomez's names. No big deal.

I actually agree with a 7.5 or 8 for JDG. No flashy plays today, but I constantly saw him bossing the midfield, telling guys where to be, etc.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, I did not see that coming but it feels very good. A very good performance which saw a number of things come together which usually do not go for us, lucky goals, lucky calls, counter-attacking football and clinical finishing to mention a few.

Frei (7): Wasn’t overly solicited during the match but did make a good reaction save. Also came out effectively and I feel had a better control of the area.
    Usanov (5): Though TFC enjoyed a very good game, I thought Usanov had a difficult afternoon. Though early in the game he drew a foul in a dangerous area, little good came afterwards. Most importantly, he steamrolled I believe was McBride in the box while trying to get to Nyarko who was threatening the goal. I was astonished the referee didn’t whistle for a penalty which in all likelihood would have resulted in the game being level 2-2 and a very different ending from 4-1.
    Attakora (6): Good as usual but did get burned near the end of the game as John got behind him. Fortunately, no damage.
    Cann (6.5): Wasn’t really seen in the match, always a good thing for a CB. It wasn’t until CBC showed a replay pack of Cann’s work throughout the day that I realized how instrumental he was. Did pick up an unnecessary booking though.
    Gargan (5): The other TFC player who had a hard day at the office. Got beat a few times, misplaced a number of passes, got clattered (though that doesn’t affect his rating) and was generally not at his best.
    Peterson (5.5): First start of the year which indicates he’s getting his fitness back, but wasn’t a factor today. He’s been better against tired legs later in the game but it’s only start to judge so make of that what you will.
    Sanyang (6.5): I like what he brings more and more. Very obvious in breaking plays up, good physicality and not afraid to get stuck in, sometimes to his detriment but I think he can create doubt and hesitation in the opponents. Fear the Amadou.
    DeGuzman (6.5): It occurred to me that I might be looking at JDG the wrong way in rating him. I still am waiting for him to play better but he was effective today in that he was attracting 2-3 guys whenever he had the ball thereby creating space for others. This is good and useful but caused by his name more than his play and he’s going to have to step up.
    LaBrocca (6.5): Another guy who had a good game. I sound like a jerk to say it, but you can’t really give credit to him for scoring but at least it looked like he knew that during his interview. He played a ball into the box which I thought was a little high to be effective but it meant the wind picked it up and swept into the net. Outside from that, I thought he had a good passing game.
    DeRosario (7): Couple of assists today to go with his boatload of goals and another quality performance from the skipper with two well-weighted passes for goals. Good stuff.
    Barrett (7.5): Really happy to see him get a brace today, I always say it he works so hard and was rewarded today. People get on him for not being clinical but he was Dr. Barrett today and no, that’s not a soap opera. Two very well taken goals.

White, on for Peterson – 46th minute (7): Quite the impact substitution there. Comes on, spots DeRo and makes a run to the net. Almost Kei Kamara’d it but it was enough. Also made a perfect pass to Barrett who had the easiest of finishes. That’s not to belittle Barrett’s effort, but rather to compliment White.
    Saric, on for Sanyang – 69th minute (6): I’ve mentioned it before but this is a guy who doesn’t make himself seen much aside from when he’s playing the part of Destruct-o. In fact, I didn’t notice his substitution until minutes later. No real impact on the match and was probably in just because Sanyang is coming back from an injury.
    Hscanovics, on for DeRosario – 74th minute (6): No real even that would cause an increase or decrease in rating. Not sure what the reasoning was behind starting Gargan over him, but I think he’ll draw back on the XI next match.

Preki (7): A pretty standard 4-4-2 at home against a defensive 4-5-1. Preki looks like a genius inserting White for a goal and assist inside 20-25 minutes but I think it was more because Peterson was ineffective so he came out, DeRo fell back to midfield and White was inserted as a new partner to Barrett. I’m a little confused/annoyed by Saric seeing the pitch over Cronin, I do wonder what the story is there. I’m not implying anything sinister so don’t start rumours but I think Cronin has more to offer.

Referee (5): A poor performance from the man in yellow. It seemed all 50-50 calls were going against TFC and he missed what I felt was a pretty blatant barge by Usanov in the box.

TFC MOTM: Chad Barrett. Two cool finishes will net him the award over DeRosario but just barely. White also gets an honourable mention as well.

Most impressed by opposition’s: Patrick Nyarko. He really looked like he was the only Chicago player likely to make anything happen. Sure Logan Pause had the long bomb but that was just Mother Nature being fair following the LaBrocca goal.

Least impressed by opposition’s: Not to rub salt in the wound, but this is tough choice. For their reputation, I thought McBride and John were poor, the midfield was anonymous, the defence ineffective and the keeper shaky. So what to do? I’ll go with the defensive corps as a unit who left Dykstra at sea on all goals except the first one.

Conclusion: A complete game by TFC where I expected really just a lousy 0-0 effort because of the conditions. I thought our boys made the most of the wind in the first half and when they kept the ball low in the second against the wind, good things happened. Excellent work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    He accidentThere ally switched Sanyang and Gomez's names. No big deal.

I actually agree with a 7.5 or 8 for JDG. No flashy plays today, but I constantly saw him bossing the midfield, telling guys where to be, etc.

- Scott
    There is no way in he'll JDG was the second best player on the field for tfc today. I actually thought he was one of the worst. Lazy tacked again and lazy passes again. I've just about had it with him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no way in he'll JDG was the second best player on the field for tfc today. I actually thought he was one of the worst. Lazy tacked again and lazy passes again. I've just about had it with him.
    One of the worst? Certainly not...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, he gave up possession too easily many times. I don't understand why people rated Frei so highly today either, he had so many miskicks and was slow coming out. If we had played an opponent who wasn't so sleepy, he would have been exploited.
    DeRo was man of the match for me, with LaBrocca and Adrian Cann a close second. It's funny, DeGuz is supposed to be our DP Defensive Mid, but Labrocca defends better than him. Our fullbacks can not defend 1v1 for the life of them.
    White had a great game, but can someone tell be how a guy his size and strength can not shield the ball or hold-off opponents?! Maybe he doesn't know thats part of the game.
    It's obvious there's a few guys carrying our team on their shoulders. Hopefully the rest of the players can step ot up soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People are bashing JDG? I thought his passing and ball control was pretty decent today...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    People are bashing JDG? I thought his passing and ball control was pretty decent today...
    Yes, his passing ability and ball control are good. But those are basic skills that any professional should have. He gave up possession at least 15-20 times today, and he let Conde dribble through him on at least a few occasions. He needs to step it up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any chance of rating the commentators for those that couldn't attend the game...

Nigel Reed = 8.5
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terry Vaughan = 1.0
    He needs someone to explain to him what a foul is (ie running into someone doesn't mean they fouled you). I would be willing to give him my advice if I had a chance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    Yes, his passing ability and ball control are good. But those are basic skills that any professional should have. He gave up possession at least 15-20 times today, and he let Conde dribble through him on at least a few occasions. He needs to step it up.
    Passing ability and ball control are absolutely not basic skills that most, let alone all MLS players have.

In the EPL or La Liga? Sure.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, you really need to get your eyes checked....you really don't know what quality in the "worlds" game is? Do you??

Were you at the game?? because next time...You should watch Julian ON and OFF the ball....He is the only player in our midfield currently that controls our rhythm and tempo. His field vision is far superior to many in this league. Watch him as he links..(keyword there LINKS) the back to the front!

Your bashing of Julian is truely a slap in the face of the "Beautiful Game"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Passing ability and ball control are absolutely not basic skills that most, let alone all MLS players have.

- Scott
    thank you.

Passing ability and ball control are sooooo not givens in MLS

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- Scott
    you're right about that. Although it should be a pre-requisite, it's not it this league. I don't mean to come across as bashing him. Not to mention he is a target of tight marking by opposing teams.
    Most games this season, I've felt that him and DeRo are our best players. His technique is superior to most in the whole league. I just thought he gave away possession too much today. And he let Conde waltz through the midfield on more than one occasion. Heck, I've even seen DeRo have an occasional bad game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I have a hard time understanding how anyone would rate JDG poorly today. Worst on the pitch. He played his role as well as anyone could.

Barrett had three great finishes, one was just stoped by a great save. BUT De Ro was trully world class at points today, his pass on the third goal was worthy of a Pirlo/kaka, perfect pass perfect vision. I largely agree with the ratings as a whole, which is unussual.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCREDNWHITE View Post
    Man, you really need to get your eyes checked....you really don't know what quality in the "worlds" game is? Do you??

Were you at the game?? because next time...You should watch Julian ON and OFF the ball....He is the only player in our midfield currently that controls our rhythm and tempo. His field vision is far superior to many in this league. Watch him as he links..(keyword there LINKS) the back to the front!

My bashing of Julian is well deserved. Labrocca was BY FAR the better midfielder today. He was all over the place, and rarely gave up the ball. JDG gave up the ball more times then I could count and made attempted tackles that made him look like a female on the pitch. You need to open your eyes and stop pretending to see the JDG that played in La Liga cause he sure as hell ain't playing that way here. Does he have quality? YES of course he does. Does he put it together on the pitch? Most times he doesn't.

And listen, I'm not the only one saying this in this thread and I certainly haven't been the first to bash JDG this year. This is the 10th time I tell you to stop quoting me, I could care less about your opinion, you proved to me you are nothing but a troll the day you accused me of liking Garcia .

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    ^ I have a hard time understanding how anyone would rate JDG poorly today. Worst on the pitch. He played his role as well as anyone could.

Barrett had three great finishes, one was just stoped by a great save. BUT De Ro was trully world class at points today, his pass on the third goal was worthy of a Pirlo/kaka, perfect pass perfect vision. I largely agree with the ratings as a whole, which is unussual.
    I don't mean to rate him poorly, he was not the worst player for us today. It was just in response to him being rated the same as DeRo. As well as he played, I'm sorry but you can't give up possession so much and be rated as one of the best 2-3 players today. For me Labrocca and DeRo played better in the midfield today than JDG. Thats just my opinion, but what do I know...
    Last edited by dannyd; 05-08-2010 at 08:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JDG was better today than he has been for most of the early season. He appeared a bit more confident on the ball and certainly more interested in "running the show". He gave it away a few times, sure, but he was on the ball all afternoon, so perhaps this skews the number of poor passes he made. Still think he needs to get forward more though.

I was impressed by Sanyang, and not for the first time. A bit raw and unconvincing on the ball, but he is brave and gets stuck in like a Trojan (the warrior, not the condom). This kid will be a beauty for TFC and I see him playing in this league for a long time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FluSH View Post
    Any chance of rating the commentators for those that couldn't attend the game...

Nigel Reed = 8.5
    ''It's all right for O'Brien White".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    I don't mean to rate him poorly, he was not the worst player for us today. It was just in response to him being rated the same as DeRo. As well as he played, I'm sorry but you can't give up possession so much and be rated as one of the best 2-3 players today. For me Labrocca and DeRo played better in the midfield today than JDG. Thats just my opinion, but what do I know...
    I agree with both viewpoints, in a way. JDG makes himself available so much, and in such tight areas, that he is bound to do more good things, and more bad things, with the ball, than most other players. I don't think that that very valuable play should be punished by a poor rating. On the other hand, he was walked around quite a few times today, including by Conde, a CB, at least once, and had some fairly egregious giveaways where he had time to do better.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCREDNWHITE View Post

I don't think it's fair to patronize a fellow TFC supporter like that. Pachuco makes some good points and has some interesting opinions. You can disagree with him, but I don't think you have the right to tell him what to do or what to say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dub Narcotic View Post
    I agree with both viewpoints, in a way. JDG makes himself available so much, and in such tight areas, that he is bound to do more good things, and more bad things, with the ball, than most other players. I don't think that that very valuable play should be punished by a poor rating. On the other hand, he was walked around quite a few times today, including by Conde, a CB, at least once, and had some fairly egregious giveaways where he had time to do better.
    Dub, your description of JDG today is a good one. I don't disagree with anything you said here. I'm not sure how your rating of an 8 (second highest rating) is reflective of this though. I'm personally extra hard on JDG because at the end of the day he really should be the one grabbing this team by the balls and I don't see that from him.

I also think Labrocca had a really really good game (forget the goal cause I don't even count that for him ) but he was really all over the place and making himself available to provide a solid link in the midfield therefore I have to think Labrocca deserves a better rating then JDG on this day.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My impressions:

JDG and Sanyang are starting to work very well together in the midfield. JDG was doing a much better job of controlling the play through the middle, and ran back a lot to pick up the ball deep in the TFC end a lot, especially in the second half when playing into the wind.

Barrett? I've been called a Barrett apologist ever since he joined TFC. I thought that he was unlucky not to bag the hat-trick against his old team. Funniest Char moment? When the Fire fans were cheering "Chi-cago reject" and he buried OBW's pass.

DeRo? Decent. Not his best game, but he had some amazing moments, like the breakaway pass for Barrett's second.

Most amusing player of the game? Usanov. When he nailed a guy with a slide tackle (getting the ball) and that guy fell into another Fire player, the ref waved "play on, advantage to TFC..." Usanov got up and you could tell that he knew that he was untouchable from that point on!

Best goal of the day? The Chicago goal. That was a stunner of a shot. No wind involved there. Just pure skill.

Most amusing? LaBrocca's. That was funny as shit. Especially since I've had that happen to me (as the GK).

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dub, your description of JDG today is a good one. I don't disagree with anything you said here. I'm not sure how your rating of an 8 (second highest rating) is reflective of this though. I'm personally extra hard on JDG because at the end of the day he really should be the one grabbing this team by the balls and I don't see that from him.

I also think Labrocca had a really really good game (forget the goal cause I don't even count that for him ) but he was really all over the place and making himself available to provide a solid link in the midfield therefore I have to think Labrocca deserves a better rating then JDG on this day.
    Labrocca stood out for me with his defensive work, it was exceptional today. He also has good vision going forward, but today he defended better than our two wing-backs, maybe even as well as Cann and Attakora. Honestly, I'm starting to think Preki should use him as a left back lol, god knows we need one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sulfur View Post
    DeRo? Decent. Not his best game, but he had some amazing moments, like the breakaway pass for Barrett's second.
    I think that has to do with him being on the wing, while he was effective playing him out there just keeps to much play away from him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good ratings: I agree with the majority of it. It was a hard game to watch on TV, i was trying to stay focused

DeGUZMAN & Some Recentment From Teammates: I have to say that the players that were more physically built had a better game than a player like DeGuzman because of the conditions, but it almost seemed like he was giving orders to some players and they recented being told what to do. Specifically, on a Free Kick, I noticed that DeGuzman was arguing with a teammate about where to stand, the other player was telling DeGuzman to either leave "The Wall" or get closer and the two argued to the last minute, where the Fire played a 1-2 and DeGuzman rushed the ball to make the block. Other instances it looked like DeGuzman's passes were being curtailed by the wind and his teammates just threw their hands up "like WTF".

The REF: Horrid, either way, it benefited noone.

Dykstra: This guy deserves part of the blame he's too much like Brian Edwards and was caught out of place in the 1st goal. 2nd goal, he did his best to block it, but good effort by White. 3rd goal, Thats the type of goal that a effort/scrappy player like Barrett gets when he's running hard forward and not tracking back. The 4th goal: He looked like he wanted nothing to do with todays game. Barrett took advantage of a hurt seal. Good finishing by Barrett.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    Good ratings: I agree with the majority of it. It was a hard game to watch on TV, i was trying to stay focused

DeGUZMAN & Some Recentment From Teammates: I have to say that the players that were more physically built had a better game than a player like DeGuzman because of the conditions, but it almost seemed like he was giving orders to some players and they recented being told what to do. Specifically, on a Free Kick, I noticed that DeGuzman was arguing with a teammate about where to stand, the other player was telling DeGuzman to either leave "The Wall" or get closer and the two argued to the last minute, where the Fire played a 1-2 and DeGuzman rushed the ball to make the block. Other instances it looked like DeGuzman's passes were being curtailed by the wind and his teammates just threw their hands up "like WTF".

The REF: Horrid, either way, it benefited noone.

Dykstra: This guy deserves part of the blame he's too much like Brian Edwards and was caught out of place in the 1st goal. 2nd goal, he did his best to block it, but good effort by White. 3rd goal, Thats the type of goal that a effort/scrappy player like Barrett gets when he's running hard forward and not tracking back. The 4th goal: He looked like he wanted nothing to do with todays game. Barrett took advantage of a hurt seal. Good finishing by Barrett.
    Spot on, there were some just strange calls today, when Conde headed the ball out on set piece (maybe it was a corner) and the ref. gave Chicago a goal kick. I have no idea what he the ref. was thinking, there wasn't even a TFC player close enough for a touch. One think I like about gridiron football is that the refs, announces what the infractions are, when you're watching soccer there's a lot of guessing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No offense pachuco but u appear to have a real grudge against jdg.. Constantly slag him to no end. Is it possible that some early off key performances are coloring your judgement of him? This is rivaling mightys hating on dero!! (lol ok maybe that's not possible)

definitely agree on others observations of sanyang.. I really feel tfc offers much more as a unit when he starts over saric. His red haze seems to be showing up less too..