Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

would have loved to see Lee Chong Yong rip apart BMO field again
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Who says it's not fun on my end either? LOL

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darlofletch View Post
    I'll definitely give you that, West ham are the more "glamorous" and "well known" club among a certain demographic. And generally speaking, they play nicer football than Bolton does.

And really that's the sort of thing that sells tickets to a friendly rather than historical and recent success.

style over substance, perception over reality, that sort of thing.

It just annoys me that people think the perception IS the reality.
    If quality is the issue...you don't think there are better teams in the Brazilian top flight that would provide better football? Why not bring them up? Same reason why Bolton is a crappy option. Midseason friendlies are about promoting the game. How are you going to promote something that will have no marketing impact whatsoever?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    LMAO...

dont be deliriously annoyed, vic. boca and all the other teams mentioned are football teams, bolton is a rugby team.....a decent one at that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had never heard of Pachuca, or Independiente when we played them. I went to the games and had a blast.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

And I'm not super upset... I just feel we as TFC supporters are ENTITLED to a better friendly. LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I'm not super upset... I just feel we as TFC supporters are ENTITLED to a better friendly. LOL
    Exeter City?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nobodybeatsthewiz View Post
    dont be deliriously annoyed, vic. boca and all the other teams mentioned are football teams, bolton is a rugby team.....a decent one at that.
    LOL... I will see you at the match.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    no but the difference is it's a lot of fun on my end.

And on my end, TFC will know exactly where one of their season seat holders stand. Therefore my complaints, bitching or anything else you want to call it has a much more productive effect than your trolling.

In fact...I am going to hold my own protest over this. I am witholding my tickets for this game. I am not going to sell them below face at all (like I have done in the past) nor will I give them away for free (like I have done in the past). Unless someone picks these up at face value, my multiple seats will go empty.
    Last edited by Roogsy; 05-11-2010 at 03:50 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I knew this was coming...and there it is.

The only vote is one where you give up your vote completely.
    It isn't giving up your vote completely - in fact, it's the only tangible vote you have. It's the only "card" you have to play. Protests and complaints are empty threats, if you're still ultimately pulling out your debit card lining MLSE's pockets every year.

And of course, if we take this rationale to it's obvious application...whenever I am displeased with the direction of the club...no sense in voicing it or protesting in any way...just cancel my seasons tickets. That's my only option.

Ridiculous.
    If everyone did exactly this, MLSE would be forced to change, or fold. The real problem is that you're well aware if you stopped renewing your ST's, someone else in line would gladly snap them up, friendly tickets and all.

The main objection most people have to MLSE's ownership, is that they treat it like a profit vehicle, and not like a hobby to pour money into. If that's the case, do what you would do with any other product, and stop buying it.

The ultimate point is that you knew exactly what you were buying when you paid for your book of tickets. It included an unannounced friendly opponent, and you paid for it. You are not entitled to anything more or less than that. Some will be happy with the choice of team, others will be less so. Some won't care either way. But treating this as though they "took" money from you, and you had no choice in the matter, is plainly false. You have the choice to either buy the product, or not.

And sometimes voting with your wallet can be painful - especially if you love your team. But it's the only tangible vote you have.

I don't have ST's, but I've had the opportunity to buy one of those crappy Marlies packs two years in a row, and both times I've said no. Why? Because I think it's a bad product. I sacrificed the ability to get tickets to every game, because I didn't want to get fleeced for tickets I wouldn't use. Instead I work my ass off to try and get single tickets to every TFC game I can attend. I vote with my wallet.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like I said to Newf....there is no "sense" of entitlement here. We are indeed ENTITLED since we paid for it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like I said to Newf....there is no "sense" of entitlement here. We are indeed ENTITLED since we paid for it.
    You are entitled to a friendly, as it is included with your package. You are not entitled to a "better" friendly, which is a completely subjective concept to begin with.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    You are entitled to a friendly, as it is included with your package. You are not entitled to a "better" friendly, which is a completely subjective concept to begin with.

- Scott
    That's a ridiculous proposition. So there is no perception of value to these tickets considering the cost? They could throw the Brampton Lions out there and it would sufficiently satisfy the contract? Of course it would technically, but are you saying there is no justification for fans having a sense of undervalued delivery? That's essentially what you are saying.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/s...tml?id=2741512

TFC officials say the field will allow the club to attract better talent -- and higher-profile European clubs for exhibitions.
    "Now that people are aware that we are putting down a permanent grass field, my phone has been ringing a lot more frequently," said Paul Beirne, the club's senior director of business operations. "People have been coming to us rather than us to them."

Ok so the excuse this year is the World Cup even though that hasn't stopped other teams from coming over this summer in fact over a dozen teams that would certainly be ranked over Bolton.

We'll see next year what happens.... Next year I predict Dynamo Dresden.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    I'm happy with Bolton. They wouldn't have been my 1st choice team, but it is what it is and I'm fine with that.

Hopefully Matty Taylor will play - he's probably the most under appreciated player in the Prem. Gary Cahill (if he doesn't make the England squad) will be fun to watch too. Our strikers could learn a lot from watching Kevin Davies play, and our defenders will have to up their game to shut him down. Jussi Jääskeläinen is one of the best keepers in the league, I hope Frei gets a chance to talk with him. It's too bad that Chung-Yong Lee will be at the World Cup, I'd love to see him play.

If Danny Shittu doesn't make the Nigerian team, I see lots of great banner potential
    Amen brotha!

Jussi is a fantastic keeper and has been at the top for awhile now. Kevin Davies is a tank and will run you down. Taylor has a great touch and knack for being in the right place at the right time. He's actually been one of the top scorers in the EPL over the past couple of season. Lee looks to be the real deal, a great attacker. Muamba is the future DM of the England squad. Klasnic, if he's still with us, can strike the ball very well. And if we get to keep on to our loanee, Wilshere, he'll terrorize the defence.

But isn't the WC done on the 11th? So we might get to see the whole squad?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why doesn't anyone else want to see derby county here?
    come on!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    I'm happy with Bolton. They wouldn't have been my 1st choice team, but it is what it is and I'm fine with that.

Hopefully Matty Taylor will play - he's probably the most under appreciated player in the Prem. Gary Cahill (if he doesn't make the England squad) will be fun to watch too. Our strikers could learn a lot from watching Kevin Davies play, and our defenders will have to up their game to shut him down. Jussi Jääskeläinen is one of the best keepers in the league, I hope Frei gets a chance to talk with him. It's too bad that Chung-Yong Lee will be at the World Cup, I'd love to see him play.

If Danny Shittu doesn't make the Nigerian team, I see lots of great banner potential
    He was named to their provisional squad. Still might not make the WC though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a ridiculous proposition. So there is no perception of value to these tickets considering the cost? They could throw the Brampton Lions out there and it would sufficiently satisfy the contract? Of course it would technically, but are you saying there is no justification for fans having a sense of undervalued delivery? That's essentially what you are saying.
    You're drawing a lot of suppositions out of a factually correct sentence, especially in light of the fact that my second last post specifically pointed out that you're welcome to feel unhappy (or happy, or indifferent) about the choice of opponent.

People here are throwing around the word "entitlement", and I was merely pointing out that you are entitled to a friendly match - not a friendly match against an opponent that you personally deem sufficient. Some people here think Bolton are a perfectly sufficient opponent, and some don't.

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC officials say the field will allow the club to attract better talent -- and higher-profile European clubs for exhibitions.
    "Now that people are aware that we are putting down a permanent grass field, my phone has been ringing a lot more frequently," said Paul Beirne, the club's senior director of business operations. "People have been coming to us rather than us to them."

Ok so the excuse this year is the World Cup even though that hasn't stopped other teams from coming over this summer in fact over a dozen teams that would certainly be ranked over Bolton.

Ouch! You got to love TFC FO!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by canucker View Post
    Amen brotha!

Jussi is a fantastic keeper and has been at the top for awhile now. Kevin Davies is a tank and will run you down. Taylor has a great touch and knack for being in the right place at the right time. He's actually been one of the top scorers in the EPL over the past couple of season. Lee looks to be the real deal, a great attacker. Muamba is the future DM of the England squad. Klasnic, if he's still with us, can strike the ball very well. And if we get to keep on to our loanee, Wilshere, he'll terrorize the defence.

But isn't the WC done on the 11th? So we might get to see the whole squad?
    I just assume that the WC players will be given time off...travelling from Europe to South Africa - basically spending a month 'on the road' - when they get back to England they'll probably be given some time off and not fly them over to North America for more games and more time on the road...

Mind you, if South Korea flop then maybe Lee will come over?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll be curious to see how many first team players Man Utd, AC Milan, etc. are featuring in their lineup for these friendlies.

- Scott

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    You're drawing a lot of suppositions out of a factually correct sentence, especially in light of the fact that my second last post specifically pointed out that you're welcome to feel unhappy (or happy, or indifferent) about the choice of opponent.

People here are throwing around the word "entitlement", and I was merely pointing out that you are entitled to a friendly match - not a friendly match against an opponent that you personally deem sufficient. Some people here think Bolton are a perfectly sufficient opponent, and some don't.

- Scott
    And from a purely technical point of view I am telling you that under this position, we should technically be legally satisfied with a CSL team as the friendly.

Therefore, this isn't about the legality of what TFC has done. It never has been. Bolton as a friendly absolutely satisfies the terms of the SSH contract. That was never the issue to begin with. The issue of "entitlement" was a direct response to the argument that there is a "sense of entitlement" on this board and I am saying there is no sense, there simply is a debt the team owes the fans. If they want to pay that debt in the most unimpressive of fashions...then what can we do? The debt has been paid. But this is about value. If I pay you back the money you lent me in pennies...well...I paid it back didn't I? You have no reason to complain then. It doesn't make me any less of a douchebag.

Are we owed better? Legally no.

Ethically? I can't believe nobody would think we aren't indeed owed better. While clubs in this league that don't have a fraction of the money and support that TFC does gets to enjoy top quality teams, we get has-beens, never-was and "whoaretheyagain?".

Fans in this city have suffered through 3 horrendous seasons. Drama like nobody else in the league. And through it all, supported this team like nobody else in the league ever has.

And for that we get: Bolton.

Thank you very much. If you want to impress me...just give me back my money.
    Last edited by Roogsy; 05-11-2010 at 04:10 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Don't know.

But fine, next year TFC can bring over Willem II and I'm sure all their first team players will play.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Whoopee, I know Paul said something like that when they were working to bring in the grass. That's what I was referring to when I gave the $10M jackpot/$2M prize analogy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wasn't mlse shopping for an english team a couple of years ago ?

does anyone know what happened with that project ?

what if they only want to see what fans are thinking in regards to who is who ?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

And from a purely technical point of view I am telling you that under this position, we should technically be legally satisfied with a CSL team as the friendly.

Therefore, this isn't about the legality of what TFC has done. It never has been. Bolton as a friendly absolutely satisfies the terms of the SSH contract. That was never the issue to begin with. The issue of "entitlement" was a direct response to the argument that there is a "sense of entitlement" on this board and I am saying there is no sense, there simply is a debt the team owes the fans. If they want to pay that debt in the most unimpressive of fashions...then what can we do? The debt has been paid. But this is about value. If I pay you back the money you lent me in pennies...well...I paid it back didn't I? You have no reason to complain then. It doesn't make me any less of a douchebag.

LOL

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Look, if next year we still get an unglamorous opponent, I'll complain. It's a World Cup year, so I'll give MLSE the benefit of the doubt on this one. As for other MLS teams getting glamour ties, I would honestly rather see Bolton's first team than Milan's youth team/reserves. Players I at least see week in, week out on TV, instead of players I've never heard of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Well Pato and Ronaldinho will be playing for Milan.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread should do a fine job of pushing the "keep Roogsy away from BMO" poll well into the stratosphere.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    ^ Well Pato and Ronaldinho will be playing for Milan.
    'tis possible, yes that they will play some part of the match.