Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Squad Rotation Experiment Wasn't a 'Failure'

Overall, I kind of disagree with Preki's assessment that rotating the squad as he did was a failure. As others have mentioned, perhaps the tactics employed didn't quite work, but that shouldn't mean that we leap to the conclusion of the rotation itself being wrong.

The reason, of course, is that it's an absolute necessity. We can't have De Ro, JDG et al. playing 90 minutes every game. They'll be burnt out by August; this month especially, with all those games, it's vital that guys come in and out of the team.

Remember also that this is the first time Preki tried something like this, and those guys who came on still aren't fully familiar with each other yet. I would say that this process of rotation needs to continue, not only to build confidence in some of the bench players, but also to make sure our stars don't burn out.

It would be quite a shame if after one game of this Preki loses confidence in this strategy and starts running some guys into the ground. That will just lead to fatigue and fatigue leads to injuries and nothing good will come of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm only give this team in till the 2 week in july to get around 35 points or I will take the summer off from the mls to save money. hell I may even start the off season very early

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nascarguy View Post
    I'm only give this team in till the 2 week in july to get around 35 points
    Seeing that we had 40 points at the end of the season last year, you may as well just start your offseason now.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sulfur View Post
    Seeing that we had 40 points at the end of the season last year, you may as well just start your offseason now.
    We had 34 points last season.
    Last edited by Keystone FC; 05-03-2010 at 04:46 AM.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Overall, I kind of disagree with Preki's assessment that rotating the squad as he did was a failure. As others have mentioned, perhaps the tactics employed didn't quite work, but that shouldn't mean that we leap to the conclusion of the rotation itself being wrong.

The reason, of course, is that it's an absolute necessity. We can't have De Ro, JDG et al. playing 90 minutes every game. They'll be burnt out by August; this month especially, with all those games, it's vital that guys come in and out of the team.

Remember also that this is the first time Preki tried something like this, and those guys who came on still aren't fully familiar with each other yet. I would say that this process of rotation needs to continue, not only to build confidence in some of the bench players, but also to make sure our stars don't burn out.

It would be quite a shame if after one game of this Preki loses confidence in this strategy and starts running some guys into the ground. That will just lead to fatigue and fatigue leads to injuries and nothing good will come of it.
    I think if you look at it from a game-by-game perspective, the match against RSL was a failure and therefore so were the tactics used; but I totally agree with what you mean about the long-term strategy of rotation. Like you said, once we're further into the season it will likely be necessary to rest certain players in a certain manner. The way I look at it; Preki gambled against RSL and lost, but his overall strategy is sound.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a low, low quality product we are seeing on the field. As an investment of time, it rates pretty ridiculous to watch this drivel week in, week out considering we have all been brought up watching quality international football. I myself support TFC and am not a fairweather fan. I have season's and I sing my heart out at home games and have made 4 away game trips over the past few years.....I will not trash the team because that's fickle. I'm just at the point where between a busy and hectic life and work schedule, if I have to pick between watching top club or international football, or this...I need the final product to be much more worthwhile.

I feel if we are paying to watch "professional" football, then the overall quality of the final product on the field needs to step up soon. Four seasons in and we are either getting horrifically outplayed or getting fluke wins from mostly gifted goals. Again, I do not trash TFC, I want them to succeed. However, I watch professional football because I derive satisfaction from it. I watch it because I get excited to see the beautiful game played as it should be by those that can play it far better than I. I don't invest countless hours of my free time and money to feel eternally frustrated...there's dating for that. lol

Seriously though, I'm going to continue to go to home games since there is still a great match day experience at BMO apart from the disappointment on display. However, I'm also done watching away games on television at some sparsely filled American football stadium which is akin to flushing 2 hours of your time down a toilet.

I await the day when I am excited to tune into these again. I think that's a fair expectation to have after all.

World Cup in 6 weeks!!!!!! =)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    I think if you look at it from a game-by-game perspective, the match against RSL was a failure and therefore so were the tactics used; but I totally agree with what you mean about the long-term strategy of rotation. Like you said, once we're further into the season it will likely be necessary to rest certain players in a certain manner. The way I look at it; Preki gambled against RSL and lost, but his overall strategy is sound.
    This is my view. From the perspective of that game, his strategy failed, and you can't argue otherwise. He thought he had a plan to get at least one point, and we wound up with none. That is failure.

But from the perspective of the entire season, I think it was a fine strategic risk to take. Especially if it will save us injuries to our key players down the road, or the team looking flat down the stretch, or guys caving in around the 70 minute mark like we did all last season.

If Preki thought DeRo and JDG needed rest, then I'd much rather he rest them. He's more in tune with the fatigue level of his players than any of us keyboard warriors are, and I can't imagine he'd start his two best players on the bench, unless he really thought they needed it. He's not a masochist.

I thought we were lousy on Saturday, but looking at the bigger picture - we played three games in seven days, and won two of three. I can look past this result, if it helps them look more consistently energized over the course of our entire schedule - starting again this coming weekend.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Terrace Greg View Post
    This is a low, low quality product we are seeing on the field. As an investment of time, it rates pretty ridiculous to watch this drivel week in, week out considering we have all been brought up watching quality international football. I myself support TFC and am not a fairweather fan. I have season's and I sing my heart out at home games and have made 4 away game trips over the past few years.....I will not trash the team because that's fickle. I'm just at the point where between a busy and hectic life and work schedule, if I have to pick between watching top club or international football, or this...I need the final product to be much more worthwhile.

I feel if we are paying to watch "professional" football, then the overall quality of the final product on the field needs to step up soon. Four seasons in and we are either getting horrifically outplayed or getting fluke wins from mostly gifted goals. Again, I do not trash TFC, I want them to succeed. However, I watch professional football because I derive satisfaction from it. I watch it because I get excited to see the beautiful game played as it should be by those that can play it far better than I. I don't invest countless hours of my free time and money to feel eternally frustrated...there's dating for that. lol

Seriously though, I'm going to continue to go to home games since there is still a great match day experience at BMO apart from the disappointment on display. However, I'm also done watching away games on television at some sparsely filled American football stadium which is akin to flushing 2 hours of your time down a toilet.

I await the day when I am excited to tune into these again. I think that's a fair expectation to have after all.

World Cup in 6 weeks!!!!!! =)
    You aren't paying to watch "professional" football, you are paying to watch the MLS.
    40 quid for a cheap seat at Professional Football
    13 quid for a cheap seat at MLS
    27 quid difference.

You cannot compare MLS to EPL, or international football for that matter. When there is more money available to bring in quality players like the Rooney's, Messi's, Gerrard's, Drogba's, Lampard's, Nani's, you will see the change.

For now, you must live with watching League Two quality football.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Preki's squad rotation is a ridiculous idea with the lack of quality TFC have.
    Professional footballers can and should want to play 2 games a week.
    Most amateurs do.
    He should make these overpaid "athletes" earn their money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Davenport View Post
    Preki's squad rotation is a ridiculous idea with the lack of quality TFC have.
    Professional footballers can and should want to play 2 games a week.
    Most amateurs do.
    He should make these overpaid "athletes" earn their money.

Except that we have a tough schedule that started last Sunday, including 3 games in a week, and then we have a busy month of mostly away matches coming up.

Squad rotation is needed, the tactics applied to the game were sound. The problem was the players didn't do their job on the pitch in the first 45 mins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keystone FC View Post
    We had 34 points last season.
    39 points last season.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaughno View Post
    Except that we have a tough schedule that started last Sunday, including 3 games in a week, and then we have a busy month of mostly away matches coming up.

Squad rotation is needed, the tactics applied to the game were sound. The problem was the players didn't do their job on the pitch in the first 45 mins.
    All that needs to be said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post

You cannot compare MLS to EPL, or international football for that matter. When there is more money available to bring in quality players like the Rooney's, Messi's, Gerrard's, Drogba's, Lampard's, Nani's, you will see the change.

For now, you must live with watching League Two quality football.
    I've watched League two football live in England, and it's better quality that what is on display by TFC this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 games a week ?
    They play at the weekend and on a Wednesday...that's 2 a week.
    That's not a tough schedule for professional players.
    They didn't do the job because they're not good enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no issues with the notion of utilizing a rotation over the course of an entire season. It is an absolute necessity without question. However, I would have preferred a more agressive strategy considering RSL's key injuries. Preki could have started the match with DeRo and JDG to try and build a lead and then rest them early in the second half. I still support Preki 100% though as trial and error is part of the process of learning what you have at your disposal as the coach of a new club...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    I've watched League two football live in England, and it's better quality that what is on display by TFC this year.
    Like I've said several times, MLS overall is mid table Conference to mid table Div. 2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty much the case. They only part that I would question is resting both JDG and DeRo at the same time.

However, I think the real reason is that Preki pretty much wrote three points off before the match. RSL have an amazing home record, and we are shite on the road - so even with a full squad, we probably would have lost.

Better to rest players so they are fresher for a tough match against Chicago at home, were we are much more likely to get points.

BTW - this is the thing that drives me crazy about the cap in the MLS more than anything. The fact that teams can't have any depth in the bench. It's hurts the quality of the first team due to lack of competition, and really drops the quality off when you rest a player or two, or have an injury.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 games a week ?
    They play at the weekend and on a Wednesday...that's 2 a week.
    That's not a tough schedule for professional players.
    They didn't do the job because they're not good enough.

If I'm not mistaken, did we not play 2pm on Sunday? Then 8pm on Wednesday? Then 9pm on Saturday. I'm no genius, but that counts as 3 games in basically a week does it not?

Not good enough? You mean like Edson Buddle wasn't good enough for us? Or Jeff Cunningham? Majority of our players would be average starting players on any other squad in the league for the most part.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In all fairness, Preki has a team that mostly didn't go through a full pre-season. He's doing experimenting now that he should have been able to do before the season started. Blame Mo, as usual, for bringing in players late.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Pretty much the case. They only part that I would question is resting both JDG and DeRo at the same time.

However, I think the real reason is that Preki pretty much wrote three points off before the match. RSL have an amazing home record, and we are shite on the road - so even with a full squad, we probably would have lost.

Better to rest players so they are fresher for a tough match against Chicago at home, were we are much more likely to get points.

BTW - this is the thing that drives me crazy about the cap in the MLS more than anything. The fact that teams can't have any depth in the bench. It's hurts the quality of the first team due to lack of competition, and really drops the quality off when you rest a player or two, or have an injury.
    Definitely agreed, all around actually.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rest players ?! The season is 6 games old and they're tired. Give me strength.

2 games a week !! That's the most they ever play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totally agree with this post. Need more people like James posting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I'm not mistaken, did we not play 2pm on Sunday? Then 8pm on Wednesday? Then 9pm on Saturday. I'm no genius, but that counts as 3 games in basically a week does it not?

Not good enough? You mean like Edson Buddle wasn't good enough for us? Or Jeff Cunningham? Majority of our players would be average starting players on any other squad in the league for the most part.
    If you're going to split hairs......
    A weekend game and a mid-week game is 2 games a week.
    FFS they're supposed to be fit, professional athletes !!
    This league is like a house league.....
    There are a few good players on each team....then it's down to a very poor level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're telling me DeRo didn't look gassed at the end of the Montreal game? You need to rotate players, end of story. Especially once the summer hits and they're playing in over 30 degree temperatures for the majority of the matches.

and again, three games in a week. We just did it. Sunday, Wednesday, Saturday. Not even top clubs play their best players all the time when they have three tight matches like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're telling me DeRo didn't look gassed at the end of the Montreal game? You need to rotate players, end of story. Especially once the summer hits and they're playing in over 30 degree temperatures for the majority of the matches.

and again, three games in a week. We just did it.
    You're just the kind of fan they want.
    Feeling sorry for them when they're playing twice a week (again, don't split hairs)

Maybe the reason they're gassed is they're not fit.

Again, professional athletes should be able to play twice a week easily.

People need to stop making excuses for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're going to split hairs......
    A weekend game and a mid-week game is 2 games a week.
    FFS they're supposed to be fit, professional athletes !!
    There are a few good players on each team....then it's down to a very poor level.
    No I've got to agree with the others. That's three games - there's no hair splitting about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had Preki started his strongest side, and had we lost (which would have been likely) then people would be on here crucifying him for running down his team in advance of Chicago's visit this Saturday.

Resting his players on the third of a three game stretch in seven days so that they can go all out and secure the points at home the following week is a sound premise.

The part I didn't agree with was going 4-5-1 because all that did was invite pressure. If you play for a draw from the outset, and then go behind, you won't end up getting the point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
    No I've got to agree with the others. That's three games - there's no hair splitting about it.
    Whatever.

In the next 60 days they play 9 times.

I feel sorry for them.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't follow the Championship much? The lower half have problems with depth, as well. It's not unique to MLS.

MLS is like the lower half of the Championship/the upper half of League 1. TFC has tended to look more like a League 1 team, which is why it's never made the playoffs.

It's unfair to crap on the league to the extent that you are. We all know it's not Premiership/Serie A/La Liga.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 05-03-2010 at 08:34 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by koryo View Post
    Had Preki started his strongest side, and had we lost (which would have been likely) then people would be on here crucifying him for running down his team in advance of Chicago's visit this Saturday.

Resting his players on the third of a three game stretch in seven days so that they can go all out and secure the points at home the following week is a sound premise.
    In MLS if you win all your home games, you only need to tie a few on the road to make the playoffs.