View Poll Results: Do you approve of the job Preki has done as head coach of Toronto FC?

Voters
222. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

155 69.82%
  • No

67 30.18%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    JDG got ripped on when he cost us a game this season. Preki deserves the same for costing us points yesterday.
    There isn't really a parallel to draw here. JDG jumped out of the way of a free kick. Preki was trying to strategize an away match based on a lineup that was fatigued from having already played twice in the week.

Clearly the strategy failed, because we lost - but I understood why he did it. JDG jumping out of the way of the ball wasn't defensible on any level.

If we had managed to hold RSL scoreless for the first half, and then DeRo came in as a ringer for the second half and gave us the win, Preki's tactical risk would look brilliant.

This team isn't playing as well as I would like, but they are playing better than I thought they would based on all predictions and early results. They aren't going soft after 70 minutes, and the lineup has some steel in it's spine that I haven't seen before. Our defense is also the stoutest it has ever been in four years - a Preki signature.

Our offense frequently looks listless still, but I blame that on the pieces Preki has been given to work with, not coaching. They play hard for him, and I've seen stretches of good stuff in the past couple of weeks.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see much from Preki as a coach now that I've seen his tactics and what I've seen the team "he chose", but I dont know what is being said and done in locker room.

On the field, he doesnt get a pass from me, due to his lack of quality coaching which is evident in the inconsistency of his tactics, man management, and his bi-polar-like/confrontational personality where he presents himself as a disciplinary, but on the field during game day, he seems to be afraid to coach his team(So much for that hard work ethic). So to me he seems to be a guy that demands respect, but is scared to criticize his players during the game, because he already has/had a mutiny in the locker room.

Did anyone see the movie "Master and Commander" on the weekend on AMC? I swear my workplace is alot like that, alot of battles, except the management does not grab a projectile and throw themselves off the boat when they've fucked up and it cost someone underneath them huge strife.

Great battle scene between the two boats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Preki was trying to strategize an away match based on a lineup that was fatigued from having already played twice in the week.

If we had managed to hold RSL scoreless for the first half, and then DeRo came in as a ringer for the second half and gave us the win, Preki's tactical risk would look brilliant.
    100% on point.

And it doesn't get any easier for boys in May. From the 8th to the 22nd, they'll have played 5 games in 14 days. Look at the logistics.. at home 8th, Montreal 12th, LA 15th, Vancouver 19th, home 22nd, SJ the following week.

the schedule makers weren't too kind to us during this stretch. i'm hoping the boys can stay competitive, take all wins in the two weeks (with two winnable NCC away games) and hopefully draw LA, but realistically the boys need rest or else we'll have a return of the 75' Curse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfc2007 View Post
    The best defense is a good offence.

Exactly.

We've won all of our home games and lost all the away games..whats the difference?

TFC attacks and goes out to win the game when at home, but then they employ '1-striker' defensive bullshit when playing away in hopes to salvage a 0-0 tie...thats horse fuck
    Last edited by fetajr; 05-03-2010 at 08:25 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DichioTFC View Post

Preki Approval Rating April 2010 - 67.2%
    Can you also list the number of votes in April and carry that stats onward?
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope.

Preki has done a better job than Mo yes. I don't think we've seen much improvement over Carver at all and with more drama. And Saturday's boneheaded loss is a real minus for me.

For Preki to win me over, he has to impress me this year. He hasn't. All he has shown is a stubborness to doing things his way which I am not convinced is a winning system.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    There isn't really a parallel to draw here. JDG jumped out of the way of a free kick. Preki was trying to strategize an away match based on a lineup that was fatigued from having already played twice in the week.
    And JDG was trying to "strategize" on the kick.

What counts is the result. With JDG it was a goal against us. With Preki it was a loss. Both should get ripped. But we have fallen into the same trap as before. Mo brings in a new guy and he gets love and happy feelings right from the start without proving himself. Preki hasn't shown us anything special so far at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fetajr View Post
    Exactly.

We've won all of our home games and lost all the away games..whats the difference?
    Maybe there is no difference. But the way Carver or Cummins would do it, you'd go with the standard lineup on the road as well, grab a couple away points, and then lose points at home in the final 15 minutes due to tiredness or lack of concentration. In the end it's about getting enough points however you can do it. If that means finally making BMO Field a "fortress" and giving up away points, it doesn't really matter. Last year Chicago was weak at home and solid on the road and made the playoffs.. last year RSL was awesome at home and pathetic on the road and made the playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I liked what I heard. Have not liked what I have seen. But it is too early. BUT for me another 5 league games will be enough, to say enough, or believe that he should be allowed to continue.

thankless moocher, riding on the coattails of others
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think everyone should calm the fuck down. Preki is doing what he needs to do to this team. Teach them basic football. So essentially possesion, possesion, possesion.

The last 2 home games were some of the BEST I've seen at BMO since year 1.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KdotOdot View Post
    I think everyone should calm the fuck down. Preki is doing what he needs to do to this team. Teach them basic football. So essentially possesion, possesion, possesion.

And this is where I see the problem. I've seen this statement quite a bit in the past few weeks and it's absolute bullshit.

There is no way the past 2 wins at home were the best games TFC has played since it began in the league.

I get accused of having "Mo-hate" glasses on but I am beginning to see a lot of rose-coloured "Preki" glasses around here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude, best games ever.

I've been there. I know. for the last 3 years we've been playing "Chase the Ball" I didn't see any of that in the last 2 home games, I missed the RSL game dude to being drunk, but I imagine they were still playing possesion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    And this is where I see the problem. I've seen this statement quite a bit in the past few weeks and it's absolute bullshit.

There is no way the past 2 wins at home were the best games TFC has played since it began in the league.

I get accused of having "Mo-hate" glasses on but I am beginning to see a lot of rose-coloured "Preki" glasses around here.

Maybe not the best full 90 minutes. I've seen about 90 minutes total this season that convince me we DO have the players we need and the coach IS working to get them into game shape for his type of system.

There has been spurts of about 10-15 minutes each game where we are easily better than any team we've ever fielded in the previous years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed. If those two wins were the best we've ever played then I should be worried. We win 2-0 at home against a 10 man USL team and all of a sudden it's the best football we've ever played. What a joke. It irritates me to think people are giving credit to Preki when quite possibly this is the worst team we have ever had, and we've actually taken part in some of the worst football I have ever seen on the road AND at BMO. (Union game).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that is what we shuold be doing. But we are not the posesion against RSl was at least 60-40 in the favour of RSL. I give him another 5 games because he may be getting there. But there is plenty of reasons to question him to this point. Yes, the team is still growing but the off-season was not used properly, and that is at least in part his fault.

And concedeing I forget 12 or 13 corners many very unecesary does not speak of a discoplined defensive team, neither does the first goal, the second was attakora's mistake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude, best games ever.

I've been there. I know. for the last 3 years we've been playing "Chase the Ball" I didn't see any of that in the last 2 home games, I missed the RSL game dude to being drunk, but I imagine they were still playing possesion.

I agree, sort of. Definitely agree tactically. We are playing better, more sound football, some of the time. Then it seems we fall back into the TFC/Canadian 'dump n chase' mentality.

The biggest thing for me, has been the cohesion in the back line, save the RSL first half. Something we've never really had.... ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our best games in every aspect were still ones in which he won and Dichio was playing. We held shape best, and kept possession the best. In those games, the 4-0 win comes to mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaughno View Post
    I agree, sort of. Definitely agree tactically. We are playing better, more sound football, some of the time. Then it seems we fall back into the TFC/Canadian 'dump n chase' mentality.

The biggest thing for me, has been the cohesion in the back line, save the RSL first half. Something we've never really had.... ever.
    I agree, but that first half of the RSl they seemed nervous, which led to disorganization.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    Our best games in every aspect were still ones in which he won and Dichio was playing. We held shape best, and kept possession the best. In those games, the 4-0 win comes to mind.

Thank

You

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaughno View Post

Shaughno, yes there have been flashes where this team has played better (second half of the seattle game comes to mind), but we have seen even more flashes of the worst football I have ever seen at BMO (Union controlling the game with 10 man on the field) comes to mind. So what does that say? even if it was 50/50, does that type of inconsistence really give you any hope?

People keep saying that Cummins or Carver's teams would have failed in the last 15 mins, well Preki's teams fail in the first 15 mins. How is that any better?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Seriously, even our back line looked decent in some of those game because the midfiled kept posession lessning the pressure on them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shaughno, yes there have been flashes where this team has played better (second half of the seattle game comes to mind), but we have seen even more flashes of the worst football I have ever seen at BMO (Union controlling the game with 10 man on the field) comes to mind. So what does that say? even if it was 50/50, does that type of inconsistence really give you any hope?

People keep saying that Cummins or Carver's teams would have failed in the last 15 mins, well Preki's teams fail in the first 15 mins. How is that any better?
    It's better because if they fail in the first 15 minutes they have 75 to recover.

When you fail in the 87th you're fucked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's better because if they fail in the first 15 minutes they have 75 to recover.

well, you could also say that as long as you are in the game in the 87th minute then you stand a chance at winning. Getting taken out of the game in the first 15 minutes is alot worst.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Geez Pachuco...you're on fire.

I am letting you handle things on this front. You're doing a better job than I am.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I voted yes.

we're far from the finshed article, and it's been ugly at times and will continue to be ugly at times, but at least this time we're trying to build it the right way. get a system in place, be organised and try to keep possession, rather than looking like we have no plan and relying on individuals to do something out of nothing.

Once we've got that down, and when we have cap space next year, hopefully preki will be able to get us to the next level, by adding some class players in who can, within the system in place, make a difference through their individual talent.

the first half against RSL really showed what happens when you take out your best players, but when De Ro and De Guzman are playing, hopefully in the future along with a few other players of their calibre, then the basics that preki is currently trying to install will serve us well.

Call me one of those suckers who's fallen into MLSE's trap, but i;m quite happy with the direction the team's going, even if we do still have a long long way to go. I'm pissed that we didn't have this sort of planning in the first three years, but we can't change the fact that we didn't. To expect year 4 results from preki right now is asking way too much given what he inherited.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pekduck View Post
    Can you also list the number of votes in April and carry that stats onward?
    Updated original post. I'll do a monthly tally and a running overall tally in the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And Saturday's boneheaded loss is a real minus for me.
    I disappointed with the squad he put out against RSL as well. We could've had a draw at least and those are lost points that could work against us come playoff rush.

But I like that he took a bold decision that he honestly felt played to TFC's advantage. One thing that nobody can doubt is that Preki has the boys more or less auditioning for playing time. It keeps the boys on their toes and more composed overall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with KdotOdot on this one.

Losing late in the game has a lingering effect. It haunts players like a bad stench that doesn't go away.

We let in two goals with our B-squad but we fought back in the second half and had a couple chances to make it close. To me, I feel that gives the boys more inspiration and resolve for future close games.

Football is 90% mental. Anything that improves the boys' concentration from last year is an improvement.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem with that is...for the team to be give up points in the 87th minute you'd have to have a good start to the game, which we have not been able to do. So yeah, it mentally kills you if you give up the game in the dying minutes...but it's going to kill you if you can't get to that point with a lead in the first place, like it was in RSL.

It's the classic case of which came first. Chicken or the egg?

It's a real statement to the condition of this team when we have to "pick our poison". Shit at the beginning or shit at the end? You choose.

How about not shit at all? What a wonderful world that would be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's too soon to tell. It's possible that we won't know how things are really working out until the end of September. One transfer window is not that long to accomplish that kind of change that Preki has been attempting. I just hope the win:loss ratio looks good enough to avoid a change in staff before the end of the season.

That said, we've played well at home and had a string of consecutive passes in each game that have outdone anything that's happened before Preki but we were a man up in both games.