Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T0R0NT0 FC View Post

Also the original stadium was designed to add on a 2nd tier to the East side.
    From what I've seen and heard, the view of the city from the upper West stands is really nice.
    I would think a second tier on the East would kill that.
    I would rather see expansion happen in the north and south.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if they are expanding behind 112....how do i get on the List??

so say they expand the south end upwards....
    i wonder what the atmosphere would be like??
    I would hope that MLSE would really push to keep it supporters...
    but i have a bad feeling that 112-119 would be supporters still...
    but 212 to 219 would be prawns....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    if they are expanding behind 112....how do i get on the List??

so say they expand the south end upwards....
    i wonder what the atmosphere would be like??
    I would hope that MLSE would really push to keep it supporters...
    but i have a bad feeling that 112-119 would be supporters still...
    but 212 to 219 would be prawns....
    They could open it up for existing STH holders to move into the stands behind the supporters end, then open whats left to the waiting list folks. I have mixed feelings about this though. We need rowdy people all over BMO, not just in the supporters end and a move like that would probably kill any chance of that.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JAMES17930 wrote "Why don't the Argos owners get together with the Rugby Canada people and build a nice 25,000 seat CFL/Rugby stadium up at Downsview?"

Rugby Canada was originally offered a share in BMO (which would have meant putting natural grass in) but they balked.
    Another summer of hope!

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    From what I've seen and heard, the view of the city from the upper West stands is really nice.
    HA ha... had to be you! Mr. Artiste.

It would suck, but it's the most viable spot for expansion.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope they add some washrooms and concessions while they're at it.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would buy a $100 piece of junk car for every game on the Argo schedule if they moved to BMO Field. Then I'd drive it into a key part of the CNE district road system, disable it, lock the doors, throw away the keys and abandon the clunker.

Then sit back and enjoy the traffic chaos. We'd have them begging to go back to the dome in not time.

Benevolent anarchy. Who's with me?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

expanding is good for the right reasons...TFC success...not the argos...if they ever get grass at BMO...Rugby Canada would have games there so theres another tenant and more useage...get the TFC academy games there more use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    I agree.

This is what I think we should go for:

The Tivoli Neu Stadion in Innsbruck, one of the Euro 2008 sites. You can see how BMO Field could end up an almost exact copy of this, with the upper west deck extended over to the south end (and hopefully on the north end as well), with the east deck left single tier, and a roof over everything.

Capacity is 30,000

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we need a east stand addition, sorry but more fans in the stadium will look better then the toronto skyline, you can see that anyplace in TO.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tractor boy, I know you just love providing us with endless contrary back chat, but that view of the skyline is quite unique. Some of my season tickets are up on the west side shelf and it really is an extraordinary view. The TV folk do a serious bone stroke over it.

Easiest expansion would occur on the corners of the west stand and over the south end. And maybe a big cantilevered north end shelf over the beer garden - which will not be subject to removal any time soon.

James, thanks for the images. That is a sweet looking stadium. But we can't have one like it because Prince Cathal Kelly of The Toronto Star has expressed his disapproval of the place. Not enough concrete or bangers and champ for his liking.

Next picture please.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am just impressed we own a stadium that actually makes money.. those in Hogtown are rare!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i wonder if we would be able to sell out 30K, i still think the only reason we are sold out is because of becks, once he leaves what them?

a good indicator will be to see if we sell out for the concacaf matches, theres only no name players no chance of becks...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    i wonder if we would be able to sell out 30K, i still think the only reason we are sold out is because of becks, once he leaves what them?

a good indicator will be to see if we sell out for the concacaf matches, theres only no name players no chance of becks...
    Stop thinking,run,run Forest run.
    I didn't know that Beckham plays for every team in MLS,and that's why we are sold out every game.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha its funny cuz its true. This has been a long time coming as we sold out all the season tickets almost instantly and its impossible to get tickets so it'll just be better not to mention having 30,000 screaming fans instead of 20,000.

olegunnar

It's too bad they have to share ticket revenue with MLS...otherwise we might get a north stand....instead rather than come clean and say (we make more off the beer garden than our cut would be from ticket sales there) we get lame excuses like fire exits etc....while all the gates on the east stand are all left closed this year.

My dream would be closed corners and a north stand. closed corners first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NF-FC View Post
    i want BMO Field to expand, but not this way. 30,000 seats is way to big. we'd never fill it and we'd lose the buzz of being a "hot ticket". if anything attendance would drop until we are no better than the kkkrew...oh, and fuck off argos
    i wish some of you would take the time to read the entire article. it says the first phase is only 5,000 seats, and then another 5,000 the following year etc... that's plenty of time to allow growth for the stadium to fill up each year.

you guys are way to quick to find negative aspects of positive signs. This is great news, and it sounds like they are going about it the right way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From Fridays papers

Here come the Argos again.

Expansion of city-owned BMO Field considered

Sold-out success of Toronto FC prompts talks to boost stadium seating to 30,000

JENNIFER LEWINGTON
    From Friday's Globe and Mail
    June 20, 2008 at 2:42 AM EDT

The huge popularity of professional soccer - Toronto FC is essentially sold out in its second season - is driving serious talk of expanding city-owned BMO Field...

Initial design work is under way by MLSE on how to add 10,000 seats for soccer games, either retractable or removable. Also under consideration are changes that would lure the Toronto Argonauts football team away from the Rogers Centre. ...

read more

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...ory/Front/home
    Last edited by sidvan; 06-21-2008 at 09:47 PM.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The talk of the Argos was only a small part of the whole article, but I agree that we need to get final resolution on it. I think the remarks we should really focus on is the plan to expand seating to 30,000. That's quite a bit more than most of us predicted.

Roogsy has said it most succinctly. MLSE has to buy the facility lock, stock, and barrel. If the club gets ownership of the stadium, we wouldn't even have to worry about what any other Toronto team is doing for their venues.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sidvan View Post
    From Fridays papers

Here come the Argos again.

Expansion of city-owned BMO Field considered

Sold-out success of Toronto FC prompts talks to boost stadium seating to 30,000

JENNIFER LEWINGTON
    From Friday's Globe and Mail
    June 20, 2008 at 2:42 AM EDT

The huge popularity of professional soccer - Toronto FC is essentially sold out in its second season - is driving serious talk of expanding city-owned BMO Field...

Initial design work is under way by MLSE on how to add 10,000 seats for soccer games, either retractable or removable. Also under consideration are changes that would lure the Toronto Argonauts football team away from the Rogers Centre. ...

read more

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...ory/Front/home
    "It [expansion] is a thought in everyone's head," said Dianne Young, general manager and CEO of Exhibition Place. "Will it happen for a year or two? Not likely."

On the touchiest political issue - who would pay for the project, which is estimated to cost between $15-million and $20-million - Exhibition Place chairman and deputy mayor Joe Pantalone was firm.

"The city clearly is not going to pay," he said. "We have already made our investment and it has been very successful."

Told of the comment, Mr. Hunter said "that is a good opening position."

That's what I have thought. Argos aren't coming unless they pay for expansion because if MLSE only pays for expansion, then I highly doubt they'll let the Argos play in BMO field at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think $15million-$20million price tag only apply to adding 10,000 seats. It doesn't include rebuilding BMO field for CFL field standard which will cost even more money.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    I think $15million-$20million price tag only apply to adding 10,000 seats. It doesn't include rebuilding BMO field for CFL field standard which will cost even more money.
    I hope so. I hope it costs so much that if the Argos decide to do it, they go broke.

Idiots. Stay out of BMO Field!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I hope so. I hope it costs so much that if the Argos decide to do it, they go broke.

Idiots. Stay out of BMO Field!
    Are the Argos even making money?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure if anyone has asked this already so forgive me if it has.

Where would TFC play if BMO field was to be expanded? How long does it take to expand a stadium and will it cut into our season? If it does, we may need a make shift home field for a few months.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Soul View Post
    Why is 30,000 too many? Aren't there something like 7,000 people on the waiting list for season tickets?
    i say add 20,000 more i dont get why some of you only say we should add 5,000 =0 Toronto itself is built off of different cultures from FOOTBALL LOVING NATIONS !!!!!!!!!! lets see Little Italy , portugal , greektown ect, ect toronto could get the numbers and it WOULD remain a hot topic. Also another thing that needs to happen is football here at the grassrots level has to be fixed , toronto has the worst footy fields in the world and the city makes it worse by renting them out at every chance and not maintaining them. i think now especially with all the hype in toronto around TFC we can really start to change things for the better here in regards to footy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There will probably be some games that will not sell out. The Vancouver, Montreal games still have descent seats available and have been on sale for a while. For games where season ticket holders are not required to buy, they may not fill the stadium completely. It would still be worth it though. I think a lot of popular European clubs don't fill their stadiums everygame either.

Would keep ticket prices in check too, so that's a plus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    Stop thinking,run,run Forest run.
    I didn't know that Beckham plays for every team in MLS,and that's why we are sold out every game.
    but there must be a reason why so many tickets are sold on ebay and craiglist i dont think every STH shows up to all of games...

it will be interesting to see what happens when becks retires or leaves.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Are the Argos even making money?
    The argos make money. They make money because the have an avg of 20k-30k at their games and no rent. They can't afford to build their own stadium that's why they were talking to York , U of T and the city to take a portion of the expense. Keep our stadium small and sold out. The Argos can fix themselves without jumping on our good thing. This has a lot to do with the CFL/NFL situation at Rogers Centre. The Argos feel the competition. They should be worried.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But here's my concern Redcoat, as football money migrates from the CFL to NFL in this market, the Argo's are going to be looking for an "edge" and a quaint little park is a perfect starting point. Rogers wants to be associated with the big show and should they come the Argos will be the first fatality…quickly followed by our SSS/BMO.

This will only happen if the NFL comes full time and I don't see that happening anytime soon but the announcement today that the CFL has lost it's major sponsor is troublesome…which just happens to be…Rogers.

BMO is for Football…play Throwball somewhere else!
    “We changed the entire league’s opinion of the viability of soccer in North America. And then we blew it because we chickened out." —Tim Leiweke

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can some tell me if the Argos have a lease with Rogers, and if they do when is it up?