Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's a very valid excuse. not all channels are carried by all distributors....and a lot of people have digital cable boxes but don't have the upper tiered channels. also, 60-70% also means that a full 30 or 40% still AREN'T getting the games.

Conventional is King is until Canada makes switch from Analogue to Digital requiring everyone to have a Box.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The CRTC has set August 31, 2011 as the deadline for over-the-air television broadcasting in Canada to move entirely to digital transmission.

Most of Canada is already Digital....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The move to digital over-the-air still only affects the over-the-air part. It doesn't imply anything about the many channels that are currently only available via the digital distributors.

In September 2011, when Joe Schmo from Nowhereville finally heads down to Canadian Tire to buy that digital converter box for his 20-year-old CRT, he's not going to have any more channels than he did when he just had analogue. Is GolTV going to suddenly start broadcasting over-the-air? I'm not so sure.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure, but I think cable companies still have to send out the analog signals, so it's not just OTA. That being said, I agree - specialty digital channels are not going to be broadcast OTA as a result of this change.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rdroze View Post
    Is GolTV going to suddenly start broadcasting over-the-air? I'm not so sure.
    I'm fairly certain that Gol TV wouldn't eve be allowed to broadcast over the air even if they wanted to.

Unless they wanted to go to the CRTC and ask for a new license.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post
    I'm fairly certain that Gol TV wouldn't eve be allowed to broadcast over the air even if they wanted to.

Unless they wanted to go to the CRTC and ask for a new license.
    You're right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't know if it was posted yet but I read earlier today on Zelcovich's star.com sports media blog that last week's loss at Salt Lake drew only 25,000 viewers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

specialty can't broadcast over the air, there's not enough spectrum for it. Once all the conventionals go Digital, expect to see another massive spectrum auction by the government.

i can't remember exactly, but apparently 1 digital station (standard def) takes up about 5% the bandwidth an analogue channel takes up on Cable.

as for that 25,000...that number is TINY