Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TV RATINGS: Toronto FC vs Seattle...

Toronto FC vs Seattle...
    2:00pm/et - CBC National: 188,000

- - - - Comparable Afternoon - - - -

Phoenix Coyotes @ Detroit Red Wings
    2:20pm/et - TSN National: 715,000

Toronto Blue Jays @ Tampa
    1:30pm/et - Sportsnet National: 279,000

Carts...
    Last edited by Carts; 04-26-2010 at 03:13 PM.
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

c'est bon, non?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My memory is muddy... is that good?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The weather was such that people didn't/couldn't go outside, so they stayed in and watched the game?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I left my TV on while I went to BMO.
    RWN - SoctoberFest! Champion '11, TFC Supporters Cup Champs '10, Indoor Champs '10 & '09, Niagara Cup Champs '09 & '08.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow.. approaching Jays numbers, impressive.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yeah, seems to me last year most TFC TV ratings were under the 100K mark. So things seem to be improving in that regard.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is a decent number, probably comparable with last year. Most CBC games last year drew around 100-150K, usually on Saturday afternoons.

On the one hand, viewership numbers are always lower on Saturdays vs Sundays. On the other hand, it was head to head with NHL playoffs and the Jays.

So 188K is not bad (probably exceeding expectations given how bad the news flow for the team had been coming into the game).
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

188 is good but we've always done very well on CBC. Our problem is the games on other networks that barely bring in 50k.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its roughly 9x more people than the number that tune in to watch 'little mosque'. i think its pretty good

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

188,000 is indeed a good number for TFC. But traditionally the teams first game on CBC does well. So the real question is can this number be sustained. In the past 3 seasons ratings dropped as the teams fortunes dropped as well. Hopefully people saw the great 2nd half and they are willing to come back. I bet the number would have been higher had their been less negativity surrounding the team.

Quote Originally Posted by volunteer View Post
    its roughly 9x more people than the number that tune in to watch 'little mosque'. i think its pretty good
    Really, TFC wishes it even got Little Mosque's worst ratings.
    Last edited by menefreghista; 04-26-2010 at 05:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With all the competion at the same time slot I guess 188 000 is good I think. Hell it was just 90 000 less than the Jays game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i wonder what those ratings would be like if it was a league game between two Canadian MLS sides .. should be more than 188K.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    i wonder what those ratings would be like if it was a league game between two Canadian MLS sides .. should be more than 188K.
    Probably significantly higher.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battle of Ontario ratings will be high.

... wishful thinking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All TV ratings are up thanks to a new tracking system implemented by Nielsen. It's still great to see TFC getting close to 200K. Hopefully with Vancouver joining MLS next season, we'll see Vancouver/TFC games jump in the ratings.

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

188k is good i think... a couple years back we were drawing 30k-50k for games?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    188k is good i think... a couple years back we were drawing 30k-50k for games?
    200K to 100K is in the area TFC has always gotten on CBC, the viewership is dramatically lower on the other channels though.
    RSN was around 50-100K and GOL was around 20-50K I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Toronto/Vancouver game next season has the potential to bring in 300 000k viewers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In reality, if TFC drew as many viewers as Little Mosque, we'd be over the moon not to mention in total shock.

EDIT: ... and I see I'm only FIVE HOURS slower than Menefreghista with this reply.
    Last edited by Blizzard; 04-26-2010 at 10:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by troy1982 View Post
    200K to 100K is in the area TFC has always gotten on CBC, the viewership is dramatically lower on the other channels though.
    RSN was around 50-100K and GOL was around 20-50K I think.
    GOL is of course digital only so a direct comparison probably isn't totally fair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post

Really, TFC wishes it even got Little Mosque's worst ratings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    In reality, if TFC drew as many viewers as Little Mosque, we'd be over the moon not to mention in total shock.

guys chill.

there's still a slight hope the CBC might renew little mosque for a fifth season. if not you'll still have your DVD's and the memories

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bee dubya View Post
    All TV ratings are up thanks to a new tracking system implemented by Nielsen. It's still great to see TFC getting close to 200K. Hopefully with Vancouver joining MLS next season, we'll see Vancouver/TFC games jump in the ratings.
    If this is true then that sucks, I was happy to hear we got good ratings. Any idea the % that all TV ratings are up? any way to relate it to the old rating?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

guys chill.

there's still a slight hope the CBC might renew little mosque for a fifth season. if not you'll still have your DVD's and the memories
    Hey, I'm not a fan of the show. I had high hopes in the beginning but it wasn't that edgy humour I'd hoped it would be. I'll always wish success to Canadian programs though. People have to make a living.

... and as for ratings, truth is truth. CBC is probably happy with the 180k number but if it ever hit Mosque numbers, they'd be thrilled. Dragon's Den numbers are beyond contemplation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    If this is true then that sucks, I was happy to hear we got good ratings. Any idea the % that all TV ratings are up? any way to relate it to the old rating?
    I think the jury is still out on just how much the ratings are up over the old system. The new system was put in place last fall and has caused a lot of numbers to jump, especially sporting events. I think people are still hoping for a year of numbers so they can accurately say what the effect has been on ratings overall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder what the average number is for games only aired on GolTV....must be pretty low in comparison.

The fact that you can only watch most games on a subscription channel is ridiculous, considering that it significantly impedes the growth of MLS and soccer in general here.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bee dubya View Post
    I think the jury is still out on just how much the ratings are up over the old system. The new system was put in place last fall and has caused a lot of numbers to jump, especially sporting events. I think people are still hoping for a year of numbers so they can accurately say what the effect has been on ratings overall.
    Chris Zelkovich of the Star throws around a number like a 20% jump in ratings for sports.

I believe the reason for the jump is that they now count sport bars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section225 View Post
    I wonder what the average number is for games only aired on GolTV....must be pretty low in comparison.

The fact that you can only watch most games on a subscription channel is ridiculous, considering that it significantly impedes the growth of MLS and soccer in general here.
    Only 7 of 30 games are on GolTV... so that's not "most games" and not "ridiculous".

Given that most of those GolTV broadcasts are at the start of the season, I'm guessing GolTV is a necessity because the other networks are not willing to show TFC games during hockey playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post
    Chris Zelkovich of the Star throws around a number like a 20% jump in ratings for sports.

I believe the reason for the jump is that they now count sport bars.
    I believe that's right. The "co-viewing" ie watching at the bar or at your friend's house now gets included in the viewing figures where in the past those numbers weren't reported because they didn't have data for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    Only 7 of 30 games are on GolTV... so that's not "most games" and not "ridiculous".

Given that most of those GolTV broadcasts are at the start of the season, I'm guessing GolTV is a necessity because the other networks are not willing to show TFC games during hockey playoffs.
    I don't know how Sportsnet is on Rogers or Cogeco, but on Bell, it's worse then a subscription channel. You have to pay for a separate theme pack that has nothing but Sportsnet, atleast as far as most people are concerned. I'm will to bet if you ask anyone on Bell why they have that theme pack it's because of Sportsnet. That pack is more expensive then GoalTV itself. I know more then one person who will only be watching TFC games on CBC this year. Anyways, not saying you are wrong, but I'm saying that if they want to try and grow the sport then putting it on CBC is probably the best they can do.