Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. 15 out of 16.

Problem is, I doubt that any of us can argue with this rating.

Edson Buddle has almost twice as many goals as D.C. and Chivas combined. Yikes.
    Wow, "Trader Mo" is really looking great here.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow...NY has gone from worst to almost first...

So much for the argument of the need for a "5 year plan".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah their really is no disagreeing there.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't get the Buddle hate, and the fact that everyone seems to blame the trade on Mo. If I remember correctly, there were quite a few people on this board who were shouting for a trade, and they got what they wanted. Now that he's doing well, everyone's tune has changed. Just remember what you wanted...

I'm not a Mo supporter by any means, but this one ain't his fault imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post

Hahahah, I think Mo meant the "5 year relaxing on someone elses dime plan".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyBaldX View Post
    I don't get the Buddle hate, and the fact that everyone seems to blame the trade on Mo. If I remember correctly, there were quite a few people on this board who were shouting for a trade, and they got what they wanted. Now that he's doing well, everyone's tune has changed. Just remember what you wanted...

To be honest, I don't remember a lot of people asking for Buddle to be traded. Yes, while he was in Toronto, he did not perform nearly as well as he is performing in LA but most people were not calling for his head. You might be thinking of Cunningham. Everyone wanted him gone (including me) because for one reason or another, he seemed completely uninterested in playing in Toronto (whatever that reason might be is a separate topic). I remember the first thing he said to media after being traded to TFC was something along the lines of "Can't believe I'm going to be playing in front of all the white people up in Canada now".

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I agree that anyone calling for Buddle to be traded in the past should eat their words, it does no admonish Mo for the decision.

Mo should not be listening to fans on who should and shouldn't be on the team. That's what he gets paid for. When player moves go wrong the buck stops with him and anyone else on the coaching staff that may have pushed for it.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd have to agree with this. I can't remember but my guess is at the time I probably was one of those voices that wanted Buddle gone. I can't remember. I do remember not being much of a fan. What we didn't know at the time that the problem with this team wasn't the players, it was the coaching. Now we know.

Put in the right position, right coaching and right tactics, Buddle can succeed.

And you know what? Not to belabour the issue, but I think that is the case with many other players we have ragged on unfairly (except for Barrett, he's had more than enough patience to prove himself). Many players simply weren't given a chance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was listening to an interview by the GM of Indy Colts of the NFL and he mentioned that their long term plans usually only stretch 3 years long and that it is not possible to draw up a longer plan because no one has the kind of hindsight to account for all the variables involved in managing a professional sports team so far down the road.

That leads me to believe that if anyone does indeed have a 5 year plan, it is probably something extremely juvenile like "Year 1: Make playoffs, Year 2: Win first round of playoffs, Year 3: Win second round of playoffs ...". Otherwise it is glaringly obvious that "5 year plan" is industry jargon for "I have no clue what I'm doing but I do intend to hold on to this position for at least 5 years".

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Was listening to an interview by the GM of Indy Colts of the NFL and he mentioned that their long term plans usually only stretch 3 years long and that it is not possible to draw up a longer plan because no one has the kind of hindsight to account for all the variables involved in managing a professional sports team so far down the road.

That leads me to believe that if anyone does indeed have a 5 year plan, it is probably something extremely juvenile like "Year 1: Make playoffs, Year 2: Win first round of playoffs, Year 3: Win second round of playoffs ...". Otherwise it is glaringly obvious that "5 year plan" is industry jargon for "I have no clue what I'm doing but I do intend to hold on to this position for at least 5 years".

Someone please send this post to every email that ends with "mapleleafsports.com"...maybe it will find a listening ear.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Having been part of a 5 year plan, it means by year 5 you should have developed a winning culture, a perennial contender.

Bill Polian is right... it should realistically only take you 3 years to build a winning team, not necessarily a contender or have a winning culture.

Let's use the MLS as an example. Year 1 you're an expansion team you should just be expected to compete. By year 2 you should be on the verge of making the playoffs or just make the playoffs. By year 3 there is no question you should be in the playoffs.

You might get lucky and win by year 3 (depending on the base you had to work with) - for example TFC making the playoffs last year going on a run and winning the MLS Cup.

But by years 4 & 5, especially year 5, there shouldn't be any question at the start of the year. If someone asks who is a favourite to win the MLS Cup one of the automatic answers should be TFC that year and for subsequent years.

Question is will TFC be an automatic favourite to win the MLS Cup at the start of the 2011 season?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mo's five year plan, you should lower expectations and by year five your should just make it to the playoffs, working that little success into another five year contract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I gree with pretty much everything being said. I DID want Buddle to stay, as I did many of our players, because I'm not as rash as Mo, or swayed by hot topic opinion which gets the best of all of us sometimes. We've had some great players over the years, players we COULD have built championships around. Buddle, Casey, Nagamura, O'Brien, Marshall, Wynne, Guevara; not naming DeRo and Frei now.. Even Ricketts was dominating in this league - at least a few games before he got figured out.

Mo has obviously got to go - if a big European club team would make that choice then we should obviously do the same. Mo is not going to be the guy to lead this team to the playoffs and be successful.

I've never come on the boards to bash him, but I would definitely support any sort of public protest that asks for his resignation. I think for MLSE to show dignity as an organization they need to rectify the situation by realizing the ultimate choice they have to make, and move on.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fact that people bought that shit in the first year was the undoing of this franchise.

MLS is not the NHL or Major League Baseball. You dont need time to build a winner. You can turn things around on a dime in this league.

Mo successfully sold MLSE, and a good portion of the fans/supporters on the myth that he needed time to build a team.

Mo is completely incompetent.

He is not management material. He doesnt have the composure or the knowledge.

He is not leadership material. He doesnt have the character or the vision.

Hes nothing but a snake oil salesman who is simultaneously ruining the team, and the organization's reputation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new motto for TFC's logo: "Better than DC United!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Questionable additions, constant tinkering, loss after loss: Is Preki this year's Juan Carlos Osorio?"

Ouch!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by volunteer View Post
    new motto for TFC's logo: "Better than DC United!"
    We might only get to use that for a week though...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Us fans don't take enough responsibility for the guys we have basically single-handedly run out of town.

Buddle -- we hated on him so much we basically demanded he be gone.
    Cunningham -- same thing.
    Gerba -- same thing.

Some may have deserved it, but basically we put so much pressure on these guys that they couldn't take it, and now they're thriving in places with less pressure.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buddle and Cunny I see...but the fans ran Gerba out of town?

I know he didn't get much love, but I just don't see the proof anywhere that WE are the ones that caused his departure. That was all Preki.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Us fans don't take enough responsibility for the guys we have basically single-handedly run out of town.

Buddle -- we hated on him so much we basically demanded he be gone.
    Cunningham -- same thing.
    Gerba -- same thing.

Some may have deserved it, but basically we put so much pressure on these guys that they couldn't take it, and now they're thriving in places with less pressure.
    I agree with that to a degree...

But too much pressure?... That's a big excuse.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ochos View Post
    I gree with pretty much everything being said. I DID want Buddle to stay, as I did many of our players, because I'm not as rash as Mo, or swayed by hot topic opinion which gets the best of all of us sometimes. We've had some great players over the years, players we COULD have built championships around. Buddle, Casey, Nagamura, O'Brien, Marshall, Wynne, Guevara; not naming DeRo and Frei now.. Even Ricketts was dominating in this league - at least a few games before he got figured out.
    Casey, O'Brien and Nagamura asked to be traded. They didn't want to be here. Guevara left.

As for the Buddle discussion...The guy has Donovan as a strike partner. I'm sure if he didn't, he wouldn't be scoring as many goals as he does.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

people forget the past. Like jabbronies said - lots of people wanted out of here,
    and that's hardly the fault of Mo. Sure there are losses directly credited to Mo (and Preki)
    like Serioux and Gerba, but not every player who's left the team faults them.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But why did Buddle underperform?

Isn't it likely because he didn't like Mo as coach?
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    As for the Buddle discussion...The guy has Donovan as a strike partner. I'm sure if he didn't, he wouldn't be scoring as many goals as he does.

and there was that guy last year..... what's his name.... the one who can put the ball in the box from anywhere on the field.... you know the guy I mean. Silly hair, even sillier wife.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    But why did Buddle underperform?

Isn't it likely because he didn't like Mo as coach?

that's a stretch.

He didn't perform because he played in our first 9 games (when we were a raw expansion team).

NOBODY really 'performed' in those first few games. Dichio maybe. Edu maybe.

(goes to look it up)

we were 3-1-5 in our first 9 games. Clearly there were things that wern't happening. (like scoring)
    In LA he's got Donovan (formerly beckham) to fee him the ball. did we have someone like that in
    our first 9 games? not really.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yep, glad i dont have to make these points (as i have in other threads) i dont feel bad about any of these guys being gone or how they are doing now.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    that's a stretch.

He didn't perform because he played in our first 9 games (when we were a raw expansion team).

NOBODY really 'performed' in those first few games. Dichio maybe. Edu maybe.

(goes to look it up)

we were 3-1-5 in our first 9 games. Clearly there were things that wern't happening. (like scoring)
    In LA he's got Donovan (formerly beckham) to fee him the ball. did we have someone like that in
    our first 9 games? not really.
    That record doesn't sound right.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    That record doesn't sound right.
    maybe I fucked it up.

3 wins - 1 draw - 5 losses.

oh right.... W-L-D. My mistake

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    people forget the past. Like jabbronies said - lots of people wanted out of here,
    and that's hardly the fault of Mo. Sure there are losses directly credited to Mo (and Preki)
    like Serioux and Gerba, but not every player who's left the team faults them.
    How can you guys not blame Preki for Robbo, Guevara, Edwards, possibly Vitti and I'm probably forgetting someone else.