Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Respect for DeRo

So I am rewatching the game on the PVR and I can't help but notice that the best player on the pitch in both games so far has been DeRo. It's a fact, not opinion.

DeRo was also the best player last year by far.

And yet, on a regular basis on this board we have people bitching out DeRo. And yes, I usually enter the thread and defend the man because I can't believe what I am reading.

Now that I am watching the game, the question that entered my mind was:

When is DeRo going to get the respect from us that he deserves?

The man has scored more goals in 1 year than Dichio did in 3 seasons.

He almost scored as many goals last year than the rest of the players combined.

As inconceivable as it is, people still deny him his rightful credit for almost single-handedly getting us our first trophy.

Right now, he is the only threat we have and yet is still getting chances.

He is by far the most exciting player we have ever had in our short history.

Has has all the goals for TFC this season.

He also played an important part in helping put pressure to get grass on the pitch (no he did not do it on his own).

So when...when are we going to give this player the respect that he deserves?

At the very least, I am tired of the DeRo criticism I see on this board. You know what? Our team sucks? And do you want to know something else? I can guarantee you that the reason we suck has nothing to do with DeRo. And yet some of the most consistent criticisms I see on this board are against the best player we have ever had.

Can someone explain that to me? Are we really that concerned with a stupid pokerstars commercial that we want to dump this team's problems on his lap? Do we really care if he is outspoken as long as he produces on the pitch?

And something I have come to realize this week that I don't think I knew before....he is also one of the most active players in the dressing room in getting players to socialize with each other and gel. I didn't look back but now that I think about it, he was by the most active player in inviting fellow players out and this week his kick-off party at Ultra had several of the new players joining him.

What else are we asking from this man who isn't even the highest paid player on the team???

He is putting his money where his mouth is. Every time I read a DeRo criticism on this board, I am going to bump this thread and remind everyone what exactly we have on our team and what our team would look like without him.

My god...3 goals in 2 games (almost 4). I am dying to hear what more we want from him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ Agreed.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote from the ESPN broadcast:

Preki knows he owes his first win to De Rosario.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    So I am rewatching the game on the PVR and I can't help but notice that the best player on the pitch in both games so far has been DeRo. It's a fact, not opinion.

And yet, on a regular basis on this board we have people bitching out DeRo. And yes, I usually enter the thread and defend the man because I can't believe what I am reading.

As inconceivable as it is, people still deny him his rightful credit for almost single-handedly getting us our first trophy.

He also played an important part in helping put pressure to get grass on the pitch (no he did not do it on his own).

At the very least, I am tired of the DeRo criticism I see on this board. You know what? Our team sucks? And do you want to know something else? I can guarantee you that the reason we suck has nothing to do with DeRo. And yet some of the most consistent criticisms I see on this board are against the best player we have ever had.

Can someone explain that to me? Are we really that concerned with a stupid pokerstars commercial that we want to dump this team's problems on his lap? Do we really care if he is outspoken as long as he produces on the pitch?

And something I have come to realize this week that I don't think I knew before....he is also one of the most active players in the dressing room in getting players to socialize with each other and gel. I didn't look back but now that I think about it, he was by the most active player in inviting fellow players out and this week his kick-off party at Ultra had several of the new players joining him.

What else are we asking from this man who isn't even the highest paid player on the team???

He is putting his money where his mouth is. Every time I read a DeRo criticism on this board, I am going to bump this thread and remind everyone what exactly we have on our team and what our team would look like without him.

My god...3 goals in 2 games (almost 4). I am dying to hear what more we want from him.

I concur. The only issue I've ever had with him is his public whining about his pay cheque. That said, I'm starting to agree with him. JDG hasn't proven his worth yet and Dero has been far more valuable than we pay him.

His performance in Montreal last year was incredible and you could tell that he wanted it so bad. He was the first guy that sprinted over to us and jumped into the stands after the final whistle. Big props to Dero.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is going to happen to TFC if he misses a game? I can't see us scoring without him.

However, this is kind of a "welcome to the Internet" post, people criticize other people on the internet, it's what they do. People cheer and support him at the games, what more respect do you want? Do think DeRo gives a toss that he's not getting he's not getting enough web-respect?

You're right he's the team's best player by miles and a tireless fundraiser for good causes. I just don't see the harm in people criticizing aspects of his play or how doing so accords him a lack of respect.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But they don't criticize aspects of his play. They criticize things that have nothing to do with his play. THAT is what bugs me. Especially when there is so much else wrong with this team. Why concentrate on the one piece that is actually working out?

To me, that is where there is lack of respect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But they don't criticize aspects of his play. They criticize things that have nothing to do with his play. THAT is what bugs me. Especially when there is so much else wrong with this team. Why concentrate on the one piece that is actually working out?

People criticize his occasional selfish, or apparently selfish, play all the time. That's not unfair. I just don't connect internet criticism and respect. Maybe other people do?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love this thread.

DeRo is the fucking man. I'm a Sens fan, and to me, he's the Alfie of TFC. I don't understand why he isn't treated like Alfie by the fans of his team.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are aspects to DeRo, both on and off the field, that are open to valid criticism. That doesn't mutually exclude the opinion that he's our best player, or a good captain, or a hard worker, or whatever.

I'm not sure what the PokerStars thing is you're referring to, so I can't comment on that.

- Scott
    Last edited by Shakes McQueen; 04-17-2010 at 03:47 AM.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree 100%!

....and to show our respect, he deserves a chant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as far as I could tell, he gets mad respect. where did this come from? couple idiots on a message board? par for the course. but hey if this thread gets him more, well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Skinner View Post
    Agree 100%!

....and to show our respect, he deserves a chant
    he has one.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Cereal View Post
    I'm a Sens fan, and to me, he's the Alfie of TFC. I don't understand why he isn't treated like Alfie by the fans of his team.
    He's a Ottawa fan and a Toronto fan. gotta love it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what is the de ro chant?

what roogsy said is spot on. The criticism people put out there has weight, but there isn't a player in the world that is exempt from criticism. People are going to criticize, fine, but for all the criticism to come from the supporters boards is ass backwards. In all professional sports there are few people that carry the weight that de ro carries and can still perform. I fully believe that he is one of the most talented professional athletes for his ability to deliver under the pressure he is given.

De Ro for Mayor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think most of the negativity surrounding DeRo on these boards don't really have to do with his on field play.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by peterboroughtfcfan View Post
    I concur. The only issue I've ever had with him is his public whining about his pay cheque.

I've been one of his biggest critics and you and I have clashed over it....but it's never been about his performance on the field.

And the reason I've criticized is because he is one of the more influential players on the team and his whining of his pay cheque for example sets a bad example.

Either way, I have no complaints about him so far to start the season. He's been quieter off the pitch since being named captain and he has been one of the better players, if not the best player, for TFC.

Like I said, I never had an issue with his play...

But I'm with Shakes... just because he is our best player does not mean he cannot be criticized. Even Messi is criticized.
    Last edited by Whoop; 04-17-2010 at 04:55 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread is spot on. We have someone in DeRo who needs to win every time he steps out on the pitch. The man is self-confident and consistently backs it up with results so if he ruffles some feathers in the way he speaks, so be it. He is not afraid to speak on something he feels is wrong and its important to have someone like that in a leadership position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote from the ESPN broadcast:

Quote:
    Preki knows he owes his first win to De Rosario.

And an idiot, thug of a defender... as well as a dodgy keeper... and a ref who gave us some pretty good calls.

De Ro is by far the best player at TFC, it amazes me that people are so harsh on him especially when he is one of your own, a local boy. TFC fans should feel lucky to have him, he obviously cares a lot about winning every match, improving his own performances and trying to make sure the club is going in the right direction. So he speaks out a bit but to be honest he only says what everyone thinks. I am glad he is doing his part to get his voice heard to improve things as it is obvious that there have been lots of other people at BMO in bigger roles who were getting heard when they did not seem to know what they were doing, see Mo Jo and Carver and Cummins beforehand.

De Ro is basically the only man that I can rely on from the team. To be honest I am surprised he has never tried to get a move to Europe, I am sure he could get on the books of a decent club. There are many English premiership teams that will have worse players than him on their books, I can see no reason why he would not be able to play for a mid level / lower level premiership team. The only thing that would stop him would be his age now but he certainly has the talent. As a TFC fan I have to say thank f#ck we have DeRo, I cannot imagine how impotent the team would be without him.

I

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MASSIVE RESPECT FOR DE RO.

I had some quibbles with his quibbling about his contract, that that's little stuff and all in the past.

He's done more for this club, both on and off the pitch (helping to get us grass, for example), then almost anyone else at the club.

Dude fucking rocks. Nuff said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anyone has seen the movie Prefontaine, there's a quote when one of the athletes is standing with the coach, Pre runs by on the track.. the guy mentions to his coach just how cocky Pre is.. the coach replies,

"I'd like to bottle it and force feed it to the rest of you guys."

Applies to DeRo for sure, not so much the cockiness, but his attitude is spot on. If only it could be bottled and force fed to some of our other squad.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still can't believe we don't have a good chant for this man (stadium singable).
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed. If anyone deserves DP money on this team, It's Dwayne De Rosario. The results he gets do not lie. The man produces and has been a threat in every game he's played in.

I hate the De Ro haters.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DeRo!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hes a beast and easily my favorite player, youll not catch me saying anything bad about him

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People all to easily in this forum get whipped up into a frenzy and start pointing fingers, sometimes its valid, sometimes its not, I cant really think of any incidents involving DeRo that deserve negative commentary, feel free to correct me if im wrong

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    Agreed. If anyone deserves DP money on this team, It's Dwayne De Rosario. The results he gets do not lie. The man produces and has been a threat in every game he's played in.

I hate the De Ro haters.
    Seriously -- when are they going to re-do his contract?

(Remember that doing so, under the new rules, would actually free us up some room under the cap).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you Dero?
    Are you Dero?
    Are youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Dero in Disguise?...
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dwayne De Rosario always has my respect and support. 'Nuf said.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you expect? He's from Scarborough!

Greatest Canadian player ever? Maybe? He'd get my vote.

Not including Canadians who decided to play for their grandmother's sister's cousin's country.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DeRo is absolutely the heart and soul of the team and the most dangerous offensive threat to ever play for the Reds. I don't recall anyone questioning his skill level or motivation to succeed. The only issues that were ever brought into question were his comments to the media regarding his contract situation and the roster turnover.

As the captain of the squad, he must measure his words carefully and lead by example with his play on the pitch. I have been very impressed with the manner in which he has handled himself as skipper...
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 04-17-2010 at 11:40 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DeRo has been the only consistent player this team has ever had.

Thats why I found the 'Hey DeRo! Shut up and play!' thread to be so unnecessary. DeRo is the last person on this team (hell, in this organization) who needs to be told to shut up and do their job.

The man is money. All he does is score goals. Even when he is surrounded by absolute shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DeRo is a fantastic player, and probably the best to ever put on a TFC jersey. I don't think he's really come under any unnecessary criticism on this board. I don't think anyone could question his skill whatsoever, but I think those threads that questioned his comments about his paycheck were fine, and the "shut up and play" one maybe was a little extreme, but not a bad thing considering he'd just been given the armband.

All hail De Ro.