Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_torontofc_2008 View Post
    the MLs is not the CFL...the cfl sucks and fans of that type of game should stay away. AAA baseball who cares? an ottawa-toront0o-montreal rivalry would be good for the league.
    The CFL is higher up the gridiron pantheon than MLS is on the scale of professional soccer.

Saying the CFL sucks and that who cares about AAA baeball doesnt lend any credibility to whatever argument youre trying to make.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it won't happen.
    but it doesn't hurt to have multiple cities interested....
    they can demand a higher expansion fee if there is a big list of cities that are interested.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
    I'm sorry but that's not true. It is indeed as diverse. Take my word on that one.
    Is there a reason I should take your word? Do you have statistics?

Are you a minority in Ottawa and as such are more exposed to the minority communities? Walking around downtown Ottawa for a year was the whitest experience of my life.

The only reason I could see for MLS' interest in Ottawa is another owner with deep-pockets who is comitted to the local community. Thats great, but I dont think it will put bums in seats.
    Last edited by ilikemusic; 06-19-2008 at 12:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no way on this rapidly less-green earth that an MLS team would be a good idea for Ottawa. Come on! They cannot be seriously thinking of even mentioning the words "Major League" in conjunction with Ottawa.

Could it work there? Maybe. A big huge MAYBE. Why the heck would they even think about expanding to such an uncertain market though? That is just plain bad business.

This would be a bad idea. BAD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ilikemusic View Post
    Is there a reason I should take your word? Do you have statistics?

Are you a minority in Ottawa and as such are more exposed to the minority communities? Walking around downtown Ottawa for a year was the whitest experience of my life.
    Good god man, it's not the Inquisition. I live here, have done so for a long time. The experience of one person here for one year in one sector of the city doesn't say much: that's generalizing from too little information.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe the success of TFC, and the popularity across the country....
    i'm sure MLS does a lot of research and stuff....

maybe there are a lot of Ott area IP's hitting MLSnet.com??

olegunnar

The 2001 census agrees with ilikemusic
    http://www.ottawa.ca/city_services/s...tz_ot_en.shtml

Or you can do it this way.
    Ottawa--> 17.7 % visible minorities
    http://www.ottawa.ca/city_services/s...le_19_en.shtml

Toronto ---> 43% visible minorities
    http://www.toronto.ca/toronto_facts/diversity.htm
    Last edited by olegunnar; 06-19-2008 at 12:45 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good god man, it's not the Inquisition. I live here, have done so for a long time. The experience of one person here for one year in one sector of the city doesn't say much: that's generalizing from too little information.
    All im saying is downtown Ottawa and downtown Toronto feel like two completely different countries. I felt almost no similarities between the two other than political geography.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by olegunner View Post
    The 2001 census agrees with ilikemusic
    http://www.ottawa.ca/city_services/s...tz_ot_en.shtml
    Better effort, but vastly out of date. Look, the point is that we're assuming that multi-culturalism means good support. Whether that's true or not I don't know but I still say that MLS in Ottawa does not appear to be a good idea.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only when there's proper Canadian content established in MLS - Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver all going good with decent amounts of Canadian players within their rosters - should we consider adding Ottawa to the mix.

They'd benefit from having Toronto and Montreal as natural rivals and a better-established league to work within.

Right now, MLS needs to bring solid additions to its franchise list. Can't afford anymore lightweights like KC or Columbus.

Apart from using Ottawa as leverage on US cities that MLS would prefer to expand to, it could also act to keep the Montreal mob honest in their approach for an MLS team.

Remember, too, that the Senators were looked at as very longshots for NHL expansion and someone ponied up the bucks NQA to get them into the league. Could Melnyk's financial clout make the difference?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    Only when there's proper Canadian content established in MLS - Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver all going good with decent amounts of Canadian players within their rosters - should we consider adding Ottawa to the mix.

They'd benefit from having Toronto and Montreal as natural rivals and a better-established league to work within.

Right now, MLS needs to bring solid additions to its franchise list. Can't afford anymore lightweights like KC or Columbus.

Apart from using Ottawa as leverage on US cities that MLS would prefer to expand to, it could also act to keep the Montreal mob honest in their approach for an MLS team.

Remember, too, that the Senators were looked at as very longshots for NHL expansion and someone ponied up the bucks NQA to get them into the league. Could Melnyk's financial clout make the difference?
    Agreed. I think it's in the MLS' best interest to develop strong and stable franchises... and being very careful with expansion is one of the pillars of such a strategy.

That said, one of the main reasons the MLS is still around today is that it had a group of owners (Lamar Hunt, Philip Anschulz [sp?] and a couple others) who were willing to eat financial loss year-after-year for about half a decade. I think at one point, those two owned about half the clubs in the league.

Is Melnyk one of those types of guys? It would go a long way...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Say this about Ottawa. It has some very sexy corporate citizenship, especially the high-tech sector in the west end. Melnyk may be aware of some sponsorship convergences that would make an Ottawa team a flier from day one.

Now that the very successful owner of the Ottawa 67s hockey team, Jeff Hunt, is involved in the new CFL franchise, I wonder if he's scheming to find ways to work with Melnyk in making a new football facility more viable by bringing in a soccer team to share it.

Not having the same demanding fans that TFC have, the issue of gridiron lines on the field might not be perceived so negatively.

And having visited Ottawa several times each year for the past two decades, I can attest to its growing diversity. And with it, an appetite for soccer that was never present for AAA baseball.

Maybe MLS have an all-Canadian division in mind for down the road.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ottawa simply can't support an MLS team. There's no other way to say it. They may have the ownership with deep pockets, but that's simply not enough to buy and keep a franchise. The Sens work and the 67's work, but I don't see an MLS team going anywhere. I also have serious doubts about the proposed CFL team.

I wil say one thing. If more Canadian cities really become serious about getting pro soccer teams, I would whole-heartedly support a seperate Canadian domestic league over the MLS.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 06-19-2008 at 03:39 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think ottawa could "survive" in ottawa. not every team will have toronto like success. the break even point seems to be 13-14K a game in a sss. if they built a small (17K) SSS near downtown or atleast accessible by public transit they could do relatively well. if they build in kanata...good fucking luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cannot see a MLs franchise working in Ottawa.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuelphStorm2007 View Post
    I cannot see a MLs franchise working in Ottawa.

people said the same for Toronto!!!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Ottawa simply can't support an MLS team. There's no other way to say it. They may have the ownership with deep pockets, but that's simply not enough to buy and keep a franchise. The Sens work and the 67's work, but I don't see an MLS team going anywhere. I also have serious doubts about the proposed CFL team.

I wil say one thing. If more Canadian cities really become serious about getting pro soccer teams, I would whole-heartedly support a seperate Canadian domestic league over the MLS.

A canadian league will never happen, people want the best product avaiable and thats MLS in north america. the original CSL couldn't make a go of it, so it won't happen again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The more people say it will never happen, the more it will probably never happen. approaching it with a pessimistic attitude will never get anything done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    The more people say it will never happen, the more it will probably never happen. approaching it with a pessimistic attitude will never get anything done.
    Quite, a little retrospect might be in order for those who forgot how many people said TFC would never happen.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    Quite, a little retrospect might be in order for those who forgot how many people said TFC would never happen.
    BINGO!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ilikemusic View Post
    I dont understand how the Senators on ice success is related to Major League Soccer.
    I dont understand how CFL failure is related to MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post

It would probably be a mistake to hand the reins over to the CSA.

A 'Canadian or Northern Conference' would work better in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OTTAWA MLS, PLEASE, i read this title, thought you guys were joking. Id love to have an mls team in my city, we could use landsdown park, but we wouldnt have support like toronto, and the team would have to move

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by adamplater35 View Post
    OTTAWA MLS, PLEASE, i read this title, thought you guys were joking. Id love to have an mls team in my city, we could use landsdown park, but we wouldnt have support like toronto, and the team would have to move
    I think you would have support, if it meant you had another reason to hate Torontonians.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ive heard a lot of Ottawa doesnt have enough interest, diversity, whats our population though, less then a million, what is the GTA's, 5.5 million. I love toronto fc, bmo field is great, and id love an mls team in ottawa, but come on, it wouldnt be the same. I doubt we would have 20,000 on average like bmo, and we would need a new stadium to have the same game experience as bmo. Frank Clair is completely falling apart! Maybe if they make a MLS 2 league, ottawa could be in there. Ottawa wont get a team any time soon, we dont even have an effective subway or Light rail transit system!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Ottawa View Post
    There is a lot of soccer interest in the city but most is at the junior amateur level.
    Tons of youth soccer, high school leagues and one community college and two universities fielding male and female teams.

We have a few very vibrant local organizations with senior type teams but they traditionally are ethnically based (St. Anthony's Italia, Lusitania Portugese for example).

Ottawa drew exceptionally well for the U-20 but a lot of that was from out of town.
    The fans in the city of Ottawa are notoriously hard on "less than well run" sports organizations as evidenced by the death of the CFL franchise, the minor pro Lacrosse team as well as the Triple A Ottawa Lynx baseball team. The well run groups like the Senators and the Ottawa 67's are of course hockey teams in a market where hockey always has been and always will be king.

Then again... the report states that nothing could occur on the MLS front until at least 2010. Perhaps Ottawa could take over the USL slot when the Montreal team goes MLS and test the interest level in football. This would also give them time to sort out the stadium situation as our current venue, Frank Clair stadium, has had one section of stands condemned and has attracted a set of land developers ready to redevelop the whole of Landsdowne park where the stadium is located along the Rideau Canal.

We have a few other venues that might work nicely as a soccer specific site but it would take deep pockets and a strong stomach for dealing with a city government that at times appears to be less than business friendly when sports, arts and cultural organizations are involved.
    Well said Mark. As much as I konw you guys would love a team in Ottawa best to start with a USL team. Then build from there.

The U20 was a great tournament but it is much easier to sell out 4 games than it is to sell out a season's worth of tickets year after year. Ask Lonnie Gleberman and the other former owners of CFL football teams.

I'll keep this short:

- Ottawa is equally diverse as Toronto, so no problem there.
    Ottawa is as diverse as Toronto but 1/5th the size. There won't be the audience needed to fill a 20,000 seat stadium.

I will be torn. I was born in Ottawa, support the Sens and hate the Leafs to my core. I moved to Toronto and now live and die TFC. It will be hard to root against your home town.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Initially I'd be inclined to think that an Ottawa franchise would fall flat on it's face and point out the repeated failures of the CFL team there. However, Melnick wasn't behind those teams and he'd add stability for MLS where there was none for the CFL.

I'd go on to point out that TFC draws from the GTA - I drive in from Hamilton for my 1/2 season's tix and I can't wait to get full season's when the opportunity arises - could Ottawa expect the same ? The Ottawa / Gatineau area has a population near 1.5 Million... there would likely be support from Quebec, but how much ? This really does seem to have come from nowhere.

I think Garber would be wise to see how Montreal / Vancouver do before going into a questionable market like Ottawa - if at all.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ottawa will not get mls in a while, ive already changed my university plans to york, ryerson, or U of T. Just so i can watch my toronto fc, i doubt mls in ottawa would ever have the same atmoshpere as bmo too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with maybe having them start in USL and see what happens. If they could average around 5000 - 6000 there it might show they could handle MLS.

And I'm assuming they'd share any new stadium with a new CFL team, right? So would that mean fieldturf again?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since the US capital already has DC United - and not likely to get a second team - I recommend that we designate Ottawa as the official site for the Bring Back The Dips campaign.

USL, MLS doesn't matter. Gotta have a team in Ottawa called the Diplomats. The NASL just won't go away. Let's hope they suck, too.

Then we can spin off insults like DipSticks, DipShits, DiPlorables. We're already ready for 'em.