0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default MLS Considers Ottawa Team

http://ottsun.canoe.ca/Sports/OtherS...9/5923146.html

MLS considers Ottawa team

Report says Senators could be involved in ownership

By The Canadian Press

Major League Soccer has met with the ownership group of the Ottawa Senators to discuss a possible team for Ottawa.
    Discussions between MLS president Mark Abbott and the Senators’ Eugene Melnyk took place last Thursday.

continues...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really?

I find that pretty far-fetched, personally.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me too, and i hope they dont.
    Its a big mistake like Columbus.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well did they attend well during the U20 world cup...

and I'd love a 4-5 hour drive down the 401... to watch another Ottawa team choke

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nothing against Ottawa, but I can think of two other Canadian cities who deserve a team first.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    nothing against Ottawa, but I can think of two other Canadian cities who deserve a team first.
    Exactly. There are larger and (probably) more viable markets at the moment. I think MLS is just gauging interest at the moment.

Maybe MLS is looking at developing an MLS 2????? (pure speculation with absolutely no basis in fact)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

completely unrelated

why doesn't mlse blow up the world's biggest indoor bubble that will encompass the whole of BMO in it.....that way we can play matches in there year round

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoBlades View Post
    completely unrelated

why doesn't mlse blow up the world's biggest indoor bubble that will encompass the whole of BMO in it.....that way we can play matches in there year round
    Then we'd have a roof!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They're probably thinking that the hockey ownership there can do what the MLSE has done in Toronto. I don't know if the fan base is the same though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSamurai View Post
    Then we'd have a roof!
    I'd be interested to see what would happen if TFC were to reach the quarterfinals of the Champions League - I think the home and away legs are in February...

...can you imagine a Mexican or Central American team having to play here in mid-February???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advantage Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    Fuck 'em, they already have teams, just in different leagues and L'impacts attendance for the CC was abysmal.

TFC came from nowhere, and those same two cities bitched that we couldnt support a team and pointed at the Lynx as evidence.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ottawa would be better for USL-1.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

same could have been said about Toronto

and I agree maybe USL1 first of all

But it is good news regardless for Canadian Professional Football that another potential Canadian franchise has emerged

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the success of Toronto is directly related to our cultural diversity. A lot of people in Toront have family roots in countries that put football first and so it was more of a natural fit. We get exceptional support not just good support. Vancouver and Montreal get good support and perhaps that is due to lesser numbers with football in the blood so to speak. So how would Ottawa do? What's the background of the people in Ottawa? Personally, I don't think they would survive long term. There are other cities in Canada with a larger, ethnically diverse, football in the blood populations such as Hamilton which I'd rather see get a team WAY ahead of Ottawa. Both are not going to happen though.

Bones...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From Wikipedia:

Ottawa has a USL-PDL team, Ottawa Fury.

The Fury play their home games at Keith Harris Stadium on the campus of Carleton University in the city of Ottawa, Ontario.

The Stadium has a total capacity of 3,000 spectators.
    Average Attendance
    · 2007: 260
    · 2006: 259
    · 2005: 322

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No more canadian teams until there are at least 11 canadians in starting XIs around the league. TFC has a hard enough time finding Canadian talent. Imagine how dire it would be if there were two other teams competing for it! I'd rather see a team in Buffalo.

Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a lot of soccer interest in the city but most is at the junior amateur level.
    Tons of youth soccer, high school leagues and one community college and two universities fielding male and female teams.

We have a few very vibrant local organizations with senior type teams but they traditionally are ethnically based (St. Anthony's Italia, Lusitania Portugese for example).

Ottawa drew exceptionally well for the U-20 but a lot of that was from out of town.
    The fans in the city of Ottawa are notoriously hard on "less than well run" sports organizations as evidenced by the death of the CFL franchise, the minor pro Lacrosse team as well as the Triple A Ottawa Lynx baseball team. The well run groups like the Senators and the Ottawa 67's are of course hockey teams in a market where hockey always has been and always will be king.

Then again... the report states that nothing could occur on the MLS front until at least 2010. Perhaps Ottawa could take over the USL slot when the Montreal team goes MLS and test the interest level in football. This would also give them time to sort out the stadium situation as our current venue, Frank Clair stadium, has had one section of stands condemned and has attracted a set of land developers ready to redevelop the whole of Landsdowne park where the stadium is located along the Rideau Canal.

We have a few other venues that might work nicely as a soccer specific site but it would take deep pockets and a strong stomach for dealing with a city government that at times appears to be less than business friendly when sports, arts and cultural organizations are involved.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bangersandmash View Post
    No more canadian teams until there are at least 11 canadians in starting XIs around the league. TFC has a hard enough time finding Canadian talent. Imagine how dire it would be if there were two other teams competing for it! I'd rather see a team in Buffalo.
    no more teams at MLS level, with the domestic requirements, but surely the more pro teams the better, the more opportunity and inspiration for young Canadians to develop into professional players

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be great to have more Canadian teams. I think Montreal and Vancouver would deserve theirs first, but if they have the fan base in Ottawa why not? K.C. has a team afterall..

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Ottawa View Post
    There is a lot of soccer interest in the city but most is at the junior amateur level.
    Tons of youth soccer, high school leagues and one community college and two universities fielding male and female teams.

We have a few very vibrant local organizations with senior type teams but they traditionally are ethnically based (St. Anthony's Italia, Lusitania Portugese for example).

Ottawa drew exceptionally well for the U-20 but a lot of that was from out of town.
    The fans in the city of Ottawa are notoriously hard on "less than well run" sports organizations as evidenced by the death of the CFL franchise, the minor pro Lacrosse team as well as the Triple A Ottawa Lynx baseball team. The well run groups like the Senators and the Ottawa 67's are of course hockey teams in a market where hockey always has been and always will be king.

Then again... the report states that nothing could occur on the MLS front until at least 2010. Perhaps Ottawa could take over the USL slot when the Montreal team goes MLS and test the interest level in football. This would also give them time to sort out the stadium situation as our current venue, Frank Clair stadium, has had one section of stands condemned and has attracted a set of land developers ready to redevelop the whole of Landsdowne park where the stadium is located along the Rideau Canal.

We have a few other venues that might work nicely as a soccer specific site but it would take deep pockets and a strong stomach for dealing with a city government that at times appears to be less than business friendly when sports, arts and cultural organizations are involved.
    perfect place for a stadium would be right near the Bayview O-Train station... I think that's the one, lot of nothing there... right on transitway and o-train too, and not far from downtown either

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It should be noted that PDL figures hardly indicate interest, given that the PDL is amateur soccer.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ottawa would be a great choice...good chance to take in an away game...Hope this comes across.....they have the best NHL team in the country so a strong MLS team
    would be good.

Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by egoodwin View Post
    perfect place for a stadium would be right near the Bayview O-Train station... I think that's the one, lot of nothing there... right on transitway and o-train too, and not far from downtown either
    I agree... great location but again not likely. They had their chance and blew it royally when they allowed the arena to be constructed in the corn fields of Kanata. Now Lebreton Flats is being developed and most of the land is spoken for. There is a bit of land left but it is mostly used as the downtown snow dump (they are still bulldozing the last of last years snow there hoping that the site can dry a bit before next winter) and rumbles continue over wether to use it for a new main library, new museum of science & tech &/or a new city archive.

Mooneys Bay complex has a smallish stadium used by the track and field clubs and that might be a candidate.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_torontofc_2008 View Post
    Ottawa would be a great choice...good chance to take in an away game...Hope this comes across.....they have the best NHL team in the country so a strong MLS team
    would be good.
    I dont understand how the Senators on ice success is related to Major League Soccer.

This sounds like a pretty far fethced idea. Ottawa is not Toronto. It isnt all marketing and focus groups thats the reason Toronto FC has been such a success. Its the cultural makeup of the city. Ottawa is nothing like here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll keep this short:

- Ottawa is equally diverse as Toronto, so no problem there.
    - However, I'd be against an MLS team in Ottawa based on the fact that two CFL franchises have failed, a AAA baseball team has failed and Ottawa is first and foremost a hockey town.
    - As neat as it would be to have another Ottawa-Toronto rivalry, I don't think it's a good idea for the good of the league. I genuinely don't think the team would last long term and this coming from someone who lives here.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ilikemusic View Post
    I dont understand how the Senators on ice success is related to Major League Soccer.

This sounds like a pretty far fethced idea. Ottawa is not Toronto. It isnt all marketing and focus groups thats the reason Toronto FC has been such a success. Its the cultural makeup of the city. Ottawa is nothing like here.

remenber people were predicting TFC to fail agian based on previous soccer failure when they got the franchise. You can't say Ottawa can't be a success..Just like saying Vancouver would be a great soccer market for MLS, they might not....it's alright filling a 5,000 seat venue but asking 20,000 to come in Vancouver is another story...Lacrosse in a big sport
    in Vancouver where the hte NLL Ravens? folded do to lack of fan support.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
    I'll keep this short:

Granted I only spent a year in Ottawa but I dont think Ottawa is anywhere near as diverse as Toronto. Not even close.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
    I'll keep this short:

- However, I'd be against an MLS team in Ottawa based on the fact that two CFL franchises have failed, a AAA baseball team has failed and Ottawa is first and foremost a hockey town.
    - As neat as it would be to have another Ottawa-Toronto rivalry, I don't think it's a good idea for the good of the league. I genuinely don't think the team would last long term and this coming from someone who lives here.

the MLs is not the CFL...the cfl sucks and fans of that type of game should stay away. AAA baseball who cares? an ottawa-toront0o-montreal rivalry would be good for the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ilikemusic View Post
    Granted I only spent a year in Ottawa but I dont think Ottawa is anywhere near as diverse as Toronto. Not even close.
    I'm sorry but that's not true. It is indeed as diverse. Take my word on that one.