Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, I was furious about this.

After defending our team from hordes of haters, after 2 terrible losses, I show up in an organised march with hundreds of supporters and all we get is a run around trying to get into the ground with our colourful flags and banners!? Have they really lost the grip this badly?

Lets be clear. There is only one good thing this club has going for them. That is the fan support. Now they aim to destroy the one thing they have left? PLEASE tell me that the people running this club are not this stupid! Paul???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I heard about this from RooneyRPB when I was on my way out. Very strange.

The group I was with all walked in with bags full of flags, flagpoles in hand, the big U-Sector railing banner, not to mention our section-covering overhead. No one was stopped or asked to display their banners/flags for approval.

Given the stadium-wide inconsistencies of what got in and what didn't, plus that new stupid system of checking stuff in (we "checked the big overhead banner in" but only because we had to lay it out hours before the game, the other stuff I mentioned came in shortly before kick off, without checking in), perhaps the security staff are being left to their own judgment to determine what gets in and what stays out now. That doesn't seem very prudent to me, given that the system worked just fine over the past three years.
    Last edited by Rudi; 04-16-2010 at 03:41 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing will be done about this. I gauran-damn-tee it! This is not the place to be if you want RPB to do anything about flag censorship. They have zero pull with FO. Deal with it on your own. Otherwise you will just get to read 5 pages on the semantics of what sports business is from armchair CEOs.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    You're right. I was naive. I didn't realize that TFC FO was all about silencing the supporters voices when the message wasn't what they were marketing. If I had known that I would have to resort to trickery in order to bring a non-explicit message into the stadium, I would have taken a different approach.

I was Naively led to believe that this message wasn't banned from the stadium. But now I, and others, know that anything with this tone isn't accepted into the stadium.
    And that why we will get more creative and discuss our actions in members only forums.There are many ways to fight this battle,lets start with Canadian way and talk to FO first,if it doesn't work I'm retty sure we have very creative guys in this board who wil come up with some ideas how to send the message that MO MUST GO!
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. Someone gets assaulted in 112 last year and nothing. Ban a MO MUST GO banner and all heck breaks loose. Arts & Crafts.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^You guys are like the Masons or the Mob. When you are done with them they won't ever try to ban a Banner again or they'll be sleepin' with the fishes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    I'm gonna be honest, but with the ways things have been going down over the past few weeks, I'm feeling that as well. I mean; yes, we're being asked to take part in some press conferences and have been given some great opportunities to speak with the media and the league and put our thoughts out for others to see and hear, but one could easily argue that its an attempt to appease the group in some way. By the way, I'm not making that accusation myself, just throwing out a hypothetical.

I think the group could find itself in a situation where we'll become the face of the team and will be used to further their marketing and branding, but have little clout on anything of real substance. I dunno. I'm in a melancholy mood tonight, despite the win.

I think we're approaching "push-comes-to-shove" time.
    Can I +150324242 this post?

I_AM_CANADIAN

My Fellow Supporters,

Tonight I have been subjected to the highest form of censorship from Toronto FC Front Office!!

My banner was not allowed into the stadium due to the nature of the message that was being conveyed!

Here is an image of the banner:

I was told by security that there were other banners with similar messages that were also banned from the stadium!!

This is bullshit!! There is no reason that this banner should not have been allowed into the stadium. There is no profanity in the message. No derogatory message toward anyone. This is censorship at it's worst!!
    That doesn't surprise me, to be honest. There's been a power struggle all along between the fans and the stadium security and stewards who think it's THEIR stadium and in it they get to play god. The fact is that without us, they don't have a job, but I always get the feeling that they very highly resent the amount of freedom that we enjoy within "their" stands, or at least did up until now. People like feeling as if they're in control, and now they're asserting it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is silly.

a "mo must go" 2-stick...isn't offensive...you aren't calling him names...you're suggesting that he take an action that is simple.

I can't believe we are being censored at a City Owned Facility.

How insecure is MoJo?

If i went to City Hall and wore a "giambrone must go" t-shirt to a council or committee meeting, I wouldn't be asked to leave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DichioTFC View Post
    *sigh* before all the discussion of the validity of calling mo's job came into question..

i can see MLSE's point about censoring something like "fire mo" or whatever. as much as i would an upgrade in that position of our team, allowing signs like that (especially on a game that was televised internationally) makes the ownership look bad more than anything else. i know people who went to raptors game, saw the "Fire Babcock" signs and never went back (they argued that they shouldn't spend money for a team that their own fans didn't support).

the number one job in business is capturing value from the consumer. and if the consumers are ridiculing the product, the likelihood of capturing value from the consumer is thereby diminished.

personally, i didn't mind the mo must go banners, but I think it's poor taste; i'm sure they know by now that mo is on notice from us, they're most likely waiting to see how the season plays out before making a decision on mo.

Great points and this is what MLSE hates more than anything else ,a public embarrassment.

We can leave the stands,don't by beer at the stadium,MLSE doesn't give a damn since we already paid for tickets there are still another 20K they would by beer and food no big deal,but show our displeasure with MLSE and TFC GM on TV or other media is different story and there move to stop MO MUST GO banner just show that negative image in media is what MLSE will fight with all their power.

However we still have away games where we can show how much we "support" MO.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Fellow Supporters,

Tonight I have been subjected to the highest form of censorship from Toronto FC Front Office!!

My banner was not allowed into the stadium due to the nature of the message that was being conveyed!

Here is an image of the banner:

I was told by security that there were other banners with similar messages that were also banned from the stadium!!

This is bullshit!! There is no reason that this banner should not have been allowed into the stadium. There is no profanity in the message. No derogatory message toward anyone. This is censorship at it's worst!!

disgusting to hear what happened to you last night, jabbronies!

oh well, I guess its all good when they need us to marklet the team, and show they have the "best fans in MLS" since the product has always been sub par, but when we have something to say, then "nope, not allowed"....disgusting....

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The issue for me is that the whole flag check was stupidly inefficient.

After going to 2 different gates, you are finally told to go to the "Special Desk." You go to the "special desk", he checks your flag, takes down name and seat number, tells you to ask for a guy named "Chris"... then tell "Chris" that "Dave" says it was checked. You get to the gate, find "Chris" and tell him "Dave" ok'd you. So, "Chris" tells the security at the front that "These guys are ok"... they let us in. No one checks the flag at the gate.

What did that accomplish? If the idea was to ban Mo signs, I could have switched it before getting to the gate.

And if the idea is to ban Mo signs... well, that's a WHOLE other issue.

The only thing it did was get my name on some list that's probably in a database by the end of the day... maybe a "Hooligan Watch List"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fiin View Post
    We've had our differences as a group in the past... but if there is one thing I think we can all get behind its this is just wrong. Do I mind them checking my banner of swearing or lewdness? Not at all. Do I mind being there early for setup to make securitys life easier. Not in the least. Do I mind that all of the sudden as a paying customer I cant have a banner showing my displeasure for a GM who has yet to deliver a winning season or playoff game? Absolutly.
    -Fiin (NEE)
    well said Fiin....agree fully

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    I'm gonna be honest, but with the ways things have been going down over the past few weeks, I'm feeling that as well. I mean; yes, we're being asked to take part in some press conferences and have been given some great opportunities to speak with the media and the league and put our thoughts out for others to see and hear, but one could easily argue that its an attempt to appease the group in some way. By the way, I'm not making that accusation myself, just throwing out a hypothetical.

I think the group could find itself in a situation where we'll become the face of the team and will be used to further their marketing and branding, but have little clout on anything of real substance. I dunno. I'm in a melancholy mood tonight, despite the win.

I think we're approaching "push-comes-to-shove" time.

you got it man....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are people surprised by this? Have you ever been to a stadium in the world where those kinds of critical banners are allowed in? I haven't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OneLoveOneEric View Post
    Are people surprised by this? Have you ever been to a stadium in the world where those kinds of critical banners are allowed in? I haven't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So just make it in a different language?

http://translate.google.com

I_AM_CANADIAN

Quote Originally Posted by OneLoveOneEric

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by I_AM_CANADIAN View Post

question is, where those snuck in or allowed in?

The LUHG signs in Manchester get in but they aren't allowed and get confiscated for the most part when they are unfurled.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OneLoveOneEric View Post
    Happens all the time in Europe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    Like I said they want us to be cheerleaders...
    Agree 100%. Many of us have been saying this since year 2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mazinn View Post
    We should tie it to about 50 hellium balloons and let fly above the stadium with the wind direction from the parking lot
    This is actually a decent idea. I wonder how many balloons it would take to raise a decent sized banner

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NF-FC View Post
    This is actually a decent idea. I wonder how many balloons it would take to raise a decent sized banner

let's just hope it doesn't drift into the path of the Island Airport. oops!
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    Maybe for the first time in my life I'm speechless. What a shit show. Move the game to a Thursday night to put the fans on display for American television, and then censor those fans at the same time.

"Dance for the organ grinder you monkeys!"

I'm having a hard time articulating my level of disgust right now.
    This is sickening but probably true.

You know we should make a point about this. Organise a HUGE Mo Must Go chant for 3 solid minutes at the next home game, just to make it known that you cannot shut us up. If we roll over on this, then expect to be rolled over forever. It's not even about the message anymore, it;s just about making it known that we won't let them censor reasonable fan opinions.
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

I_AM_CANADIAN

Could let it fly but have the bottom corners tied to a string so it won't fly away. 'Tis an idea, actually.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitcho View Post
    This is sickening but probably true.

You know we should make a point about this. Organise a HUGE Mo Must Go chant for 3 solid minutes at the next home game, just to make it known that you cannot shut us up. If we roll over on this, then expect to be rolled over forever. It's not even about the message anymore, it;s just about making it known that we won't let them censor reasonable fan opinions.

Not attending, as has been suggested, doesn't work, as it will be interpreted as lack of interest. We are intensely interested in the success of the team.

They can take away our banners, but they can't stop us from chanting:

MO MUST GO
    MO MUST GO
    MO MUST GO

Chanting is the best way to get our displeasure across. It will be in the media, guaranteed.

However, the home opener when we are winning is just a plain stupid time to do this.

IMO it's best to give Mo some time. If the team tanks mi-season, a MO MUST GO chant will be very effective in getting the point across to Anselmi (who makes the decision anyways).
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 04-16-2010 at 08:13 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

question: was there a resolution to the gate entry issue?

(specifically letting us into the normal gates).

If this team wants to make it inconvenient for people with flags and drums to get them into the supporters sections, they are effectively stabbing their golden goose, right in the dick, with a javelin.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paul B - anything to add? That's not a loaded question, I mean it quite openly. We're all sitting here fuming and feeling principled, but so far all we have is some confused messages from stadium security. In all fairness the FO should be allowed to put its own side across before we pass judgment.

{Although, in a curious twist of irony, would we believe anything the FO had to say after recent events? Tree falling in the forest, tree falling in the forest...}

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    question: was there a resolution to the gate entry issue?

(specifically letting us into the normal gates).

If this team wants to make it inconvenient for people with flags and drums to get them into the supporters sections, they are effectively stabbing their golden stallion, right in the dick, with a javelin.
    fixed!