Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redpunkfiddle View Post
    Well I am shaking my head. People who pull out the 'worst performance/half' thing clearly have no memories or knowledge of previous games.

For example, at Kansas City, 2008.
    Sure, there's been no shortage of bad halves. Second half of the Debacle in the Big Apple is way up there too.

But year 4, hosting an expansion team in the opener, that first half Thursday is very high up on the list. It's a serious contender for worst ever.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd have to agree with that! I couldn't believe the amount of times my jaw dropped at the sheer incompetence of our team; it seems that the only play Ustinov knows is to immediately pass back to the guy who gave his the ball, Saric can't win the ball, hold the ball or pass the ball (no wonder we found him in the Slovenian league!), Gargan constantly seems confused (did you notice his attempt to throw the ball in the net on one of our first corners?),Hsvanhoweveryouspellhisname is just awful. absolutely awful, and playing JDG in front of everyone was just silly. We didn't connect on our passes, we never controlled the ball, we looked like we were being challenged by an expansion team 1 man down in our home opener!

The second half was much better though; I can't believe that I was actually happy to see Barrett subbed on! JDG was in a much better position and dictated the play, O'Brien White might not have the confidence to beat defenders but at lest he'll run at them, De Ro is definitely the captain, and we finally looked like we could control a match...which is not saying much considering the situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. I think we should all wrap our minds around the fact that it is year 4, and we should judge accordingly...

HAving said that, I do think there is a team that can play, in the making. The issue is will that team show up in Colorado?

WHat I would rather not read is nonsence about them being tired from 90 mins w.Philly. THe altitude is rough, but the last time I checked, the volcano in Iceland is not getting in the way of Air Canada's ability to deliver the boys to Denver.

A point is possible assuming no experiments and no Garcia. Agreed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yes,

LaBrocca is going to be our secret weapon! I know he hasn't shown too much just yet, but you can see that he really understands the game (did you notice how many times he got back on defense to stop attacks just after attacking?) and I feel that once he and JDG really get a feel for each other, they will be dynamite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting. I actually think Labrocca is an interesting addition. A show me story to be sure as is Pederson... who botched one or two, but seems to me to have a real view of the field...

Lot's of stuff going on that is positive. PReki sure is unpredicatble though...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Standup105 View Post
    Oh yes,

LaBrocca is going to be our secret weapon! I know he hasn't shown too much just yet, but you can see that he really understands the game (did you notice how many times he got back on defense to stop attacks just after attacking?) and I feel that once he and JDG really get a feel for each other, they will be dynamite.
    I wasn't impressed with his delivery on corners at all last night...

Way to slow, high, loopy deliveries that give the defenders plenty of time to track their men, and never give the keeper that split-second of "should I or shouldn't I go for the ball?"...

For us to have any success on corners, we need a new delivery man - or see if Labrocca can work on swinging them in with pace & cause of chaos in the box...

We miss Guevara alot in that aspect...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We really didn't get the best of Guevarra. We were paying to perform for Honduras... We didn;t get consistent value and he was definitely on the way down. SOme beautiful goals, but a lot of missed games and even more whining.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I to, lamented the lack of Guevara last night. He would have connected with JDG so well in the second half and his quality was obviously lacking from our team. That being said, LaBrocca did put in a few good set pieces (the corner where Gargan just missed, the free kick on the play that Sangyang got hurt) but yeah, his play seems a little slow right now, but I think he's just feeling the lay of the land and what his teammates can and can't do right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have to make sure we don't expect too much from this game.

Only three days rest, going to altitude -- a draw would be a very, very good result.

We really shouldn't be upset at all if we lose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agee. Moreover, I think Seattle at home is huge. And with the pressure on, and after last night, I think there is a risk of some focus being on that game...

We should be Ok if a point is what we get.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    We have to make sure we don't expect too much from this game.

Only three days rest, going to altitude -- a draw would be a very, very good result.

We really shouldn't be upset at all if we lose.
    Its definitely going to be tough on the guys to last a full 90 at top form...

Preki will need to use his subs wisely, and the lads will have to play smart and let the ball to running for you...

Dero will need to play a smarter game in regards to positioning. He works his ass off, and I love him for it, but on the short turn & in altitude he could lose his legs early if not carefull...

Barrett can run his ass off b/c I doubt Preki will give him a full 90 with history, so I have no problem with him going balls out and being one of the subs in/out...

At the back, let the youngsters play, but make sure they're midfull of their legs and position themselves accordingly...

This game is a tough one on the body - if we can score early, and hang on for a draw, that would be an excellent result...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a feeling that this game might actually suit us; it will be slow, about possession, not making mistakes and converting opportunities...and given how scared our defense seemed to be about moving forward, this could be our chance!

My call is 2-1 Colorado on a set play towards the end of the game. De Ro again with the goal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wynne will come back to haunt us. His athleticism, sheer power and speed cannot be taught. Positioning and ball control can be taught.... His departure for the same old ... may prove to be the biggest mistake of all so far...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if they can be taught, how come he didnt learn?
    Wynne will not come back to haunt us, this im sure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wynne owes us a couple hand balls in the box.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dow117 View Post
    Wynne will come back to haunt us. His athleticism, sheer power and speed cannot be taught. Positioning and ball control can be taught.... His departure for the same old ... may prove to be the biggest mistake of all so far...
    Yeah, I have a feeling he's going to be really up for this game and is going to punish us big time.

Again -- a draw would be a massive result, and if we look sluggish, we've got to just let it go.

Though it's actually pretty shitty. And, if memory serves, this is the second time in four years this has happened to us -- where we played in Colorado the Sunday after a Thursday game. You'd think it would be easy enough to not schedule something like this -- if we're going to have a Thursday-Sunday home/away, why can't the Sunday game be in Columbus, Philly or NY?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the scheduling is bizarre in this league.

A 2 week layoff following our first game and then a game on the other side of the continent 2.5 days after our recent game. That's crazy.
    Last edited by Batman; 04-17-2010 at 10:29 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We had a full offseason to prepare against Columbus as we shit the bed. We had two weeks to go into NE fully prepared and we shit the bed in the second half. If we do the same in Colorado, it's hard to believe the reason we suck is the altitude. We should've come out of NE with a tie, and we didn't. Unfortunately, now that means we need to come out of this game with a tie to have a respectable record after 4 games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Gotta agree with ManUtd4, Eugene, the second half was much, much better (although against 11 men, maybe that relative cohesion would've fallen apart.)

Our problem right now is that we have players of poor intelligence being given important starting roles. Saric shouldn't be anywhere near this team's starting lineup. He's an imported Kevin Harmse, basically. OB White is a second striker at best, but looked much better with a partner moving off the ball to give the defence more than one headache.

When we linedup with a more balanced (i.e. favouring some attack) lineup halfway through the second, we looked reasonably competent for two- or three-minute stretches.

Usanov was caught on a break that looked like a set play to me, designed to catch out teams when the fullbacks push up to much.

Aside from Saric, neither Hscanovic or Usanov looked MLS ready. Both exposed defensively, and Usanov's control going forward was poor (although his speed was impressive.)

We looked a lot better with Peterson wide and Gargan behind him.

Why Sam Cronin is sitting, when HScanovic, USanov and Saric are on the pitch, is absolutely mystifying.
    Agreed. Why in the 4th season do we even have players starting that are not MLS ready? On the bench (young developmental players) sure because the cap is so low but your top 14-15 players should be able to contribute especially if you are leaving Cronin on the bench.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My strategy for the game would be as follows:

Usanov---Attakora---Cann---Hscanovcs
    -------Sanyang------------DeGuz--------
    Gargan-------------------------LaBrocca
    --------Barrett------------DeRo----------

When defending funnel Colorado into the middle towards Sanyang and De Guzman. Play a physical game and look for the quick counter attack.

2nd Half

Saric---Sanyang---DeGuzman---LaBrocca
    -------------------DeRo-------------------
    ------------------White--------------------

Play a posession game and hope to take advantage of a tired Colorado by utailizing Whites speed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I'd rather play Cronin than Saric in the second as I think he's a better passer but I don't think he figures into Preki's "plans".

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1-1.

Wynne silliness causes draw.

Bank it.
    Still possibly the only known RPB to appear on Masterchef Canada.
    (I think?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

Why Sam Cronin is sitting, when HScanovic, USanov and Saric are on the pitch, is absolutely mystifying.
    I think people on this board are overrating Cronin’s current ability as a player and his contribution to the team last year. He’s a decent young player and I think he will have a good long career in MLS. He’s a level headed, consistent but unspectacular player. His greatest strength is that he reads the game well, and really seems to understand how to play within the organized shape of the team. He combines well with teammates in basic passing sequences (makes himself available to recive the ball, offers support and works give and go plays on the outside). However, he still has a lot to work on, and as it stands right now he doesn’t have a natural position. Is he DM or a wing player?

Cronin as a DM
    When the team has possession, of the ball, seems like a natural holding mid, and looks pretty effective moving the ball out of the backfield. Defensively his positional sense is pretty good but he’s to timid in his challenges, he just looks unwilling to get ‘stuck in’ - to play DM he has to get better a winning possession of the ball.

Cronin as Winger
    On the wing, his problems are the inverse. Defensively he’s a good wing player, but he’s pretty useless in the attacking third. He has no eye for the goal. Last year, he looked completely uncomfortable with the ball at his feet in the attack. At times it was actually embarrassing see him treat the ball like hot potato, reflexively dumping it off to team-mates instead of passing to penetrate, getting down the wing or attacking defenders 1 on 1. As LM last year he mostly relied give and go and overlap support from Brennan vs. attacking himself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im hoping for a tie... cant see TFC comming away with a road win just yet... 1-1 i hope

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
    My strategy for the game would be as follows:

-------Sanyang------------DeGuz--------
    Gargan-------------------------LaBrocca
    --------Barrett------------DeRo----------
    I like this. For substitutes, I'd take Barrett off for White whenever Barrett runs out of gas. Peterson for Hscanovics (if any crazy shit happens).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scooterTFC View Post
    I think people on this board are overrating Cronin’s current ability as a player and his contribution to the team last year. He’s a decent young player and I think he will have a good long career in MLS. He’s a level headed, consistent but unspectacular player. His greatest strength is that he reads the game well, and really seems to understand how to play within the organized shape of the team. He combines well with teammates in basic passing sequences (makes himself available to recive the ball, offers support and works give and go plays on the outside). However, he still has a lot to work on, and as it stands right now he doesn’t have a natural position. Is he DM or a wing player?

Cronin as a DM
    When the team has possession, of the ball, seems like a natural holding mid, and looks pretty effective moving the ball out of the backfield. Defensively his positional sense is pretty good but he’s to timid in his challenges, he just looks unwilling to get ‘stuck in’ - to play DM he has to get better a winning possession of the ball.

Cronin as Winger
    On the wing, his problems are the inverse. Defensively he’s a good wing player, but he’s pretty useless in the attacking third. He has no eye for the goal. Last year, he looked completely uncomfortable with the ball at his feet in the attack. At times it was actually embarrassing see him treat the ball like hot potato, reflexively dumping it off to team-mates instead of passing to penetrate, getting down the wing or attacking defenders 1 on 1. As LM last year he mostly relied give and go and overlap support from Brennan vs. attacking himself.
    He's a good tackler, he's good with the ball at his feet and he knows how to run to the back post. I'm not sure which player you've been watching.

And to rate him below -- even at their natural positions, not his -- Usanov, Hscanovic and Saric? Not bloody likely.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the way Saric has been playing, I think we'll see Cronin sooner rather than later...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Standup105 View Post
    Oh yes,

I agree. Labrocca plays a possession, build up style game. This is Preki's style I believe. I hope it permeates to the rest of the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cronin is versatile, supports teammates both in attack and defense and has a tremendous work rate. What is his best position? Box to box central midfielder playing 4-4-2.

In the first half against the Union Guzman looked to me like he had a free role playing 4-5-1. But to be honest his work rate did not impress me. I'd prefer Cronin in that free role. Cronin has great potential but he need more experience and playing time and Preki is denying him that and pissing me off.

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A hope not based in any reality: we repeat the 2008 result where we were hammered all game yet hold the line and squeak a set piece goal in. Our International- depleted squad of second stringers on that day may have had even lower expectations than our current batch of un-gelled newcomers.

A draw would be thrilling given this scheduling and venue.