Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pre-Game: TFC @ Colorado Rapids (April 18th)

5 PM kickoff EST as our men quickly come off the Union win in a meeting of players playing against their former teams.

Harden and Peterson playing against Colorado, Marvell Wynne hopefully has enough handballs in him so he can give us some more PKs.

If Garcia doesn't play again, maybe we can hold out for a draw.

Some burning questions: WILL Garcia play? Can we win on the road? Does Wynne still suck? Will we have someone other than DeRo scoring? That will all be answered in 3 days.

Discuss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Team is gonna have to find some width for Colorado away. Colorado has a notoriously wide pitch, so playing on the wing, and not just through the middle, will be necessary.

After Cann and Attakora putting in a good performance this last game, I doubt Garcia will start.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see it as a negative if we don't get a result in Colorado. Face it - even good teams find it tough to win at altitude on three days rest.

The objective has to be a massive improvement in the quality of team play.

We better start seeing this team be able to mark without taking fouls/cards, hold possession, build an attack, and not make mindless giveaways...... or Seattle will score 7 on us on the 25th.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately, the lineup that provided the most offensive creativity to date this season in the second half against Philly cannot hold up for 90 minutes because of the match fitness of Barrett and Peterson. That said, I think our backline is more stable, JDG will continue to feel more comortable in the central midfield and TFC will play a solid 90 minutes on Sunday. I predict a draw at the very least...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I think our backline is more stable
    Good one.

You talking about the backline where three of the four starters are signings from the nether regions that joined the team within the last 8 days? The one that didn't have that much to defend against given the sending off? Who, despite being up a man, still managed to get opened up like a tin of sardines on the Philly goal?

Which is what we'd be talking about if Philly didn't have a Fabianski clone in the nets.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as I'm concerned that falls more on our midfield than our back line - they give up too much space. But that's for another thread. Will be curious who starts this one given the quick turnaround...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Altitude plus Casey and Cummings = ?

a draw would be a good result
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Good one.

You talking about the backline where three of the four starters are signings from the nether regions that joined the team within the last 8 days? The one that didn't have that much to defend against given the sending off? Who, despite being up a man, still managed to get opened up like a tin of sardines on the Philly goal?

Which is what we'd be talking about if Philly didn't have a Fabianski clone in the nets.
    So you didn't think our backline was more stable than in the first 2 games? I didn't say it was all star caliber. The cynicism around here is ridiculous at times...
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 04-16-2010 at 11:03 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, I don't have a lot of hope for this one. The road is a wasteland in MLS for most teams... then altitude is a killer... but even if they were playing in KC this weekend or some other low-lying ground, the lack of rest is probably even worse. 2 full days of rest isn't much no matter where you play.

But I seem to remember a win in Colorado once when the team was undermanned (Nana had a good game if i recall). I agree that if they even pulled off a tie, it would be a great result.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The cynicism around here is ridiculous at times...
    I'm not cynical. We are objectively terrible. Doesn't mean I don't cheer my lungs out for the team.

We looked better only because we played a 10 man expansion team. My conclusion is we'll be dead last in the league if we keep this up.

You go ahead and break out the lampshades. Enjoy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not cynical. We are objectively terrible. We looked better only because we played a 10 man expansion team. You go ahead and break out the lampshades. Enjoy.

Doesn't mean I don't cheer my lungs out for the team.
    Preki himself stated that the team has a long way to go before they resemble the squad he envisions. Yesterday was a step in the right direction, no more, no less...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Preki himself stated that the team has a long way to go before they resemble the squad he envisions. Yesterday was a step in the right direction, no more, no less...
    We disagree. I think it was a fluke result against a terrible team, a step in no direction.

We were horrible 11 on 11, and for much of the game after the sending off. God only knows what a Houston, LA or a Seattle would do to this team. We'll find out soon enough.

Sorry for postgame thread rehash. But I think yesterday's fluke result could give the team an excuse to play poorly Sunday.

It's our job to keep the pressure on, so that we start getting some real football on the pitch, not just the facsimile version we've been served so far this year.
    Last edited by ensco; 04-16-2010 at 11:18 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We disagree. I think it was a fluke result against a terrible team. We were horrible 11 on 11, and for much of the game after the sending off.

God only knows what a Houston, LA or a Seattle would do to this team. We'll find out soon enough.
    Yes, we'll have to agree to disagree. I base my opinion on the lineup and formation that was utilized in the second half. I saw some positive signs there that the team can build on...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta agree with ManUtd4, Eugene, the second half was much, much better (although against 11 men, maybe that relative cohesion would've fallen apart.)

Our problem right now is that we have players of poor intelligence being given important starting roles. Saric shouldn't be anywhere near this team's starting lineup. He's an imported Kevin Harmse, basically. OB White is a second striker at best, but looked much better with a partner moving off the ball to give the defence more than one headache.

When we linedup with a more balanced (i.e. favouring some attack) lineup halfway through the second, we looked reasonably competent for two- or three-minute stretches.

Usanov was caught on a break that looked like a set play to me, designed to catch out teams when the fullbacks push up to much.

Aside from Saric, neither Hscanovic or Usanov looked MLS ready. Both exposed defensively, and Usanov's control going forward was poor (although his speed was impressive.)

We looked a lot better with Peterson wide and Gargan behind him.

Why Sam Cronin is sitting, when HScanovic, USanov and Saric are on the pitch, is absolutely mystifying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Gotta agree with ManUtd4, Eugene, the second half was much, much better (although against 11 men, maybe that relative cohesion would've fallen apart.)

Our problem right now is that we have players of poor intelligence being given important starting roles. Saric shouldn't be anywhere near this team's starting lineup. He's an imported Kevin Harmse, basically. OB White is a second striker at best, but looked much better with a partner moving off the ball to give the defence more than one headache.

When we linedup with a more balanced (i.e. favouring some attack) lineup halfway through the second, we looked reasonably competent for two- or three-minute stretches.

Usanov was caught on a break that looked like a set play to me, designed to catch out teams when the fullbacks push up to much.

Aside from Saric, neither Hscanovic or Usanov looked MLS ready. Both exposed defensively, and Usanov's control going forward was poor (although his speed was impressive.)

We looked a lot better with Peterson wide and Gargan behind him.

Why Sam Cronin is sitting, when HScanovic, USanov and Saric are on the pitch, is absolutely mystifying.
    Agreed. The lineup is still a work in progress so I suspect we will see a few more combinations before Preki settles on his desired starting 11...

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wynne never did suck! He is the one person on our team who had a great passion for the game and his speed made him the player he was... and I agree, his ball control was poor! However, he was still my fav... and I have yet to pick a new one :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FootieChick View Post
    Wynne never did suck! He is the one person on our team who had a great passion for the game and his speed made him the player he was... and I agree, his ball control was poor! However, he was still my fav... and I have yet to pick a new one :P
    Wynne was terrible. All speed. If sprinting makes a good player we should sign Usain Bolt.

He couldn't cross, he was constantly caught out of position and he had zero control over the ball. If he was slower, he'd be called Nick Garcia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC were definitely better in the second half. But that doesn't say much. The first half was one of the worst displays I have ever seen.

It's difficult to say we are making any progress based on the second half. We only took over the game in last 15 minutes when 10-man Philly started to look tired. It's not enough to inspire confidence.

I thought the biggest change came when LeBrocca moved back to central midfield. He was able to turn with the ball, move it upfield and play it on the ground up the middle. This may have been due to Philly being tired and giving him more space.(BTW, LaBrocca made quite a nomadic journey around the pitch from left wing to attacking mid (briefly) to right wing to DM).

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I expect 0 points from this match.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FootieChick View Post
    Not to mention the MANY MANY dumb penalties he gave away with his flailing arms....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think this game would be a good opportunity to have another look at cronin. especially if we play 5 in the midfield. I thought he was solid last year. clearly he's behind the 8 ball this year but a good performance in colorado could get him back in the starting XI.

as for the result, i expect nothing, but a draw is very possible with good organization.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone know when the team's heading out? I'm assuming they want to get there early (today maybe?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I expect 0 points from this match.
    I think thats a fair expectation, but I expect us to be competitive. A game after three days in altitude to a good squad is going to be tough, but I expect defence to be more solid than the home opener, the midfield to click and not give up easy balls, and for someone else to score other than DeRo.

Of the three games we've had, we were up 1-0 on two of them and other one was in Columbus. I'm hoping for a 1-1 draw.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im not quite ready to give up on Usanov and Hsanovic quite yet, yes they have made some obvious mistakes but i do think that in time they will clean up their acts, obviously Preki seems something there, although the mistakes theyve made have been incredibly similar to those that Wynne made.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I expect this to be the worst game we've played to date. We were absolutely brutal yesterday and it's masked by the fact we pulled off a win against a 10 man expansion team. I fully expect to see Mo fired after the thumping Colorado is going to give us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well if anyone didn't get the positioning memo prior to last game they better find it
    before going to Colorado.

Omar Cummings and Colin Clark will torch us if we can't put together a more organized effort than we've had thus far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

That's funny because the exact same thought crossed my mind today.

Scary enough, I think KH might have actually shown more going forward (if that's even possible).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think mo would have been gone today if we lost yeaterday (Anybody who thinks that first half wasn't the worst TFC has EVER played should give their head a major shake), but with 3 points, he has bought some time...

I think this game is a very tough call. I think Preki tought JDG and DeRo an interesting little lesson about how difficult it is to be strikers when you have terrible service... THat lesson might have leggs and I think we saw those "leggs" in the second half (Not great, but not terrible either). SO, some agressive play (no red cards..), Frei standing tall, and a good bounce or two, who knows, maybe we walk with a point.

Mind you, I think a tie is possible only if Preki doesn't put a frankenstein-like science project on the field (last night, first half).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    That's funny because the exact same thought crossed my mind today.

Scary enough, I think KH might have actually shown more going forward (if that's even possible).
    Strange thing is, for the first half of his career, he wasn't a defensive holder, he was a right winger. Go figure.

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bombonera View Post
    I think mo would have been gone today if we lost yeaterday (Anybody who thinks that first half wasn't the worst TFC has EVER played should give their head a major shake), but with 3 points, he has bought some time...

I think this game is a very tough call. I think Preki tought JDG and DeRo an interesting little lesson about how difficult it is to be strikers when you have terrible service... THat lesson might have leggs and I think we saw those "leggs" in the second half (Not great, but not terrible either). SO, some agressive play (no red cards..), Frei standing tall, and a good bounce or two, who knows, maybe we walk with a point.

Mind you, I think a tie is possible only if Preki doesn't put a frankenstein-like science project on the field (last night, first half).
    Well I am shaking my head. People who pull out the 'worst performance/half' thing clearly have no memories or knowledge of previous games.

For example, at Kansas City, 2008.