It's fan-tastic to watch

When it comes to job satisfaction I reckon mine is hard to beat. Who would have thought when I came to Canada four years ago I could make a living talking about soccer? At the time it didn’t even cross my mind.
I mean think about it – I actually get paid for covering a sport which was in my blood probably before I could string together a coherent sentence. I get the best seat in the house with arguably the most spectacular view from any broadcast booth in North America. I get fed and watered and I don’t have to fight the traffic to be at my desk at 9.00am sharp on Monday morning.
I am treated with respect by my co-workers in a friendly but professional atmosphere and I get to work with some of the best producers and directors in the business. The evolution of the game as a professional sport in Canada has been astounding and I am immensely proud and grateful for the opportunities that have come my way.
Truly, there is no downside to my working life. Well, alright there’s one – I can’t just be a fan. I’ve always firmly believed that to do my job you first have to be a fan. You have to feel what the fans feel to be able to relate to them and interpret the game in a way that complements the pictures rather than conflicts with them.

Read more