Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mo clearly panicked last season when he signed DeGuzman. He was desperate to appease the masses and push TFC into the playoffs. I agree that the DP slot in this league needs to be utilized on offensively gifted attacking players as opposed to defensive role players in order to have the desired impact or bang for the buck. The reality is that for better or worse, JDG is here to stay for the foreseeable future because of the size and length of his contract. For the sake of the organization, I hope JDG can check his ego at the door, put the team first, and adapt to utilize his considerable skill level to excel in an attacking midfield role. I have seen him play at his best with the CMNT and I believe he has the ability to earn his DP salary with TFC. The question is, does he have the motivation?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ Exactly my thoughts. And for what it's worth... no, I don't think he does have the motivation. At least not from what I've seen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I am started to wonder that as well. I had big hopes that the trio of JDG, De Ro, Gerba would reproduve their CMNT magic, so to speak, but it has been lacking. And while I do not blame the 5-0 loss in NY on him, clearly a CDM like him could have done more to organize the team. JDG could be fucking Adrea Pirlo in this leauge, right now he is playing like Barry. If you know what I mean, solid, but not that two way creative effective CDM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaughno View Post
    Not to be a dick, but an Attacking Mid is almost guaranteed to make a bigger impact than a Defensive Mid, hence the respective titles.

That said, I don't think JDG has played anywhere near good enough for us so far.

Would you say that Shalrie Joseph made a bigger impact than Zack Schilawski against us? No, because one's an attacking player, the other is a defensive link-up player.
    I know what you're trying to say, but I'm not just looking at stats here - which is what would lead an AM to have more "statistical impact" (in the goals and assists category) than a DM. That would be foolish. I'm talking about what others have just said before me. General impact on the game itself. There's 11 players on the field and every one of them has a role to fill. Frankly, JDG has been quite casual in his play in the two games that he featured in, and definitely hasn't done quite enough to justify being the highest paid player in the team.

Previous expectations aside, I don't think anyone expects him to be a box to box guy who can split defenses with his passes anymore (I sure did last year). But he hasn't really done enough in the defensive end at all, and clearly can't connect a lot more of his passes than we're used to seeing in the CMNT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that also has to do with the quality and familiarity of the players around him, personally.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he looked fine walking out of the hotel. was about 15 feet away from him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    ^ I am started to wonder that as well. I had big hopes that the trio of JDG, De Ro, Gerba would reproduve their CMNT magic, so to speak, but it has been lacking. And while I do not blame the 5-0 loss in NY on him, clearly a CDM like him could have done more to organize the team. JDG could be fucking Adrea Pirlo in this leauge, right now he is playing like Barry. If you know what I mean, solid, but not that two way creative effective CDM.
    Why isn't he used as an AM though? Anyone thats seen him play for the CMNT knows he's capable of it, but TFC (unless I'm mistaken) plays him in a DM role.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ he can. But I am thinking that the tought process is to use him as the "general" of the team, and as CDM, it is a great position to do that. It can be a great transitional, counte attacking position. However, he has not been effective as he could be in that manner. Part of the problem is ceratainly the players around him. From what I have seen one of the major problems is that in the MLS many players seem to expect the ball to be delivered to them all most all the time, instead of the ball being put into space for them to run too ( I am talking in terms of attacking).

He could dominate the league from the DM spot, if he played hard, he could shut down most attacks, and start inteligent counters, but there has been far to little of this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 2Legit2Quit View Post
    At Depor, JDG was a pure DM. He was never the n10 or creative midfielder with an amazing pass in the last 2/3 of the field that you claim he is.
    On the money, everybody thinks JDG is the style of player you saw in the 2007 gold cup. Not the case. He's an excellent DEFENSIVE midfielder that played in a league where the technical requirements are sky high. So he has some skill, but that doesn't necessarily translate to going forward and attacking all the time.

That being said, he hasn't really produced for us. I'm not concerned but it's time to step up. Without a doubt this signing has yet to pay dividends.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that also has to do with the quality and familiarity of the players around him, personally.
    i think this is a big issue too

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that JDG just isn't the same calibre of most of the other DP's in the league. Positionally there is no use for a DP DM. We had two very serviceable DMs to begin with so why spend the money and the spot on another. Are we playing a 4-5-1? Are we playing a 4-4-2 with a diamond midfield? If not there is no real need for a DM specifically. Maybe JDG can play as an AM but to be honest he looked like he didn't care to be there Sat. With the revolving door of players, who would?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default DeGuz

Not to worry, DeGuz will be will be gone and Thursday's game will be an indication of things to come. If he starts the game and plays well he may be around for a spell, but if he is "ill" again and is on the bench, well its goodbye DeGuz. I am sure that Mr. Preki would want his DP to show his class and exert his influence in a ""low quality league like the MLS which to date he has not been able to do. He would want him to pass the ball forward at least once out of every ten times he gains it or is given the possesion of it instead passing the ball backwards or laterrally. He would want him to find a way to cope with the physical play and have impact on the outcome of every game he plays, which he has not even remotely come close to. Only thing he has shown Mr. Preki is attitude.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JDG will be solid for us this year. He has the skills to do so. He is great at winning the ball and moving it forward. Hopefully JDG, LaBrocca and DeRo can gain some chemistry. Also, hopefully Julian wont be lamenting that he is playing in MLS and not Spain, England etc.

I disagree he is not worth the signing, he has all the tools to boss the midfield here. He could be a great DP selection. He is creative and the young high end talent we want to build around. We can get another striker DP if we want.

People are throwing him under the bus after seven games. Five of which he was unfit for selection. So far this season we have one game to judge him by, was Columbus his fault? Im pissed he didnt play in NE, but ladies, lets give the season ten games before we shit the bed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He needs to get his finger oot now tho, he plays for us and he should get on with it. I think he will after he gets a taste of the home fans again.....fwiw I think Barrett may surprise a few folk on here when he comes back.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why couldn't we have Guevara, DeRo and DeGuz all in the mid. We'd have the best midfield line-up in the league.

I loved watching Robbo play - Jimmy B too...but Guevara will be our most "missed" player this season. (won't miss his diving though).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_bhoy View Post
    Why couldn't we have Guevara, DeRo and DeGuz all in the mid. We'd have the best midfield line-up in the league.

I loved watching Robbo play - Jimmy B too...but Guevara will be our most "missed" player this season. (won't miss his diving though).
    Maybe we should raid County for a few players.....sorry pal had to be said lol.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JDG is a terrible choice for DP and if he scores 5 goals this season I will be surprised.

Heck I'll be amazed if he doesn't give the ball away in our own half 5 times in a game.

He won't stay around long enough to get better with this team. Expectations out weigh what he can contribute solely based on the weight of his contract and maybe his position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JDG took too big of a step down in coming to the worst team in MLS from a mid-table club in La Liga. He should have signed with some team in Netherlands or France instead. There is just too much to adjust to in terms of the quality (or lack there of) of his team mates. Also, it does not help that it seems he thought he would be able to walk into the locker room and own the team like Beckham did in LA simply because he has such superior pedigree compared to everyone else. Let's just hope that he quickly regains the form that made him good enough to play in La Liga because there is certainly no doubting the fact that the guy is indeed talented and can be a tremendous asset.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah i kinda agree that teh adjustment for him will be major, there are times when you see clearly the pass hes trying to make and noone is there to get it. I do think he will be good once the team starts to gel and he understands teh quality of the league. No he wont score 5 goals but he was never a goal scorer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Lets start with the fact that I don't think Preki has a clue how to properly utilise him. He wants JDG to score more goals. He wants him to be an attacking midfielder, which he is not. Doesn't take much to figure out that tactically mismanaged teams don't exactly bring out the best in players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Well Lets start with the fact that I don't think Preki has a clue how to properly utilise him. He wants JDG to score more goals. He wants him to be an attacking midfielder, which he is not. Doesn't take much to figure out that tactically mismanaged teams don't exactly bring out the best in players.
    Ummm...JDG was used by Cummins as a defensive midfielder. He didn't do any better there. There were lots of complaints by people that they wanted to see JDG as an attacking midfielder. Personally, he is good enough to do both jobs (looks at Deportivo and CMNT). Unfortunately, with TFC, he hasn't done much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    Ummm...JDG was used by Cummins as a defensive midfielder. He didn't do any better there. There were lots of complaints by people that they wanted to see JDG as an attacking midfielder. Personally, he is good enough to do both jobs (looks at Deportivo and CMNT). Unfortunately, with TFC, he hasn't done much.

I think that's what's frustrating for me. I see the quality in JDG, it's still there... but it's like he doesn't care to try and help his teammates sometimes. Almost as if within the first 5-10 mins of playing he gives up on the team because they aren't getting on the end of his passes...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that's what's frustrating for me. I see the quality in JDG, it's still there... but it's like he doesn't care to try and help his teammates sometimes. Almost as if within the first 5-10 mins of playing he gives up on the team because they aren't getting on the end of his passes...
    I think that's a bit harsh. I am sure he feels the pressure of being the highest paid player on the team & being a competitor he wants this team to succeed as much as we do. I think he will really benefit when the starting line up starts to stabilze & players can get on the same page.
    RPB Road Warrior. DC United 9/29/07, Columbus Chaos 3/25/08, DC Rumble 5/24/08, Montreal Madness 5/27/08, Chicago 7/12/08, Kansas City Opener 3/21/09, Columbus Smoke 3/28/09, Boston Bus Bounce 8/1/09, Montreal 1000 4/7/12 Montreal 3200 3/16/2013 Columbus Bus Breakdown 3/21/15, Montreal Playoffs 10/29/15, Montreal Opener 04/23/16, Montreal East Final 11/22/16, Chicago 08/19/17, NY Semi-Final 10/30/17, Columbus East Final 11/21/17, Montreal "Dichio Lives" 3/17/18

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be fair to JDG (and all our mids for that matter), when you have a back four that has been as weak as ours, it really stretches the field for them.

The D's have been either scrambling and disorganized inside our own end, or hoofin' it up the field in a panic when they actually gain control. That type of play takes the mids out of the game - they are either buried at the back helping defend, or chasing long balls.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenose13 View Post
    I think he will really benefit when the starting line up starts to stabilze & players can get on the same page.
    you and me both

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenose13 View Post
    I think that's a bit harsh. I am sure he feels the pressure of being the highest paid player on the team & being a competitor he wants this team to succeed as much as we do. I think he will really benefit when the starting line up starts to stabilze & players can get on the same page.

You may be right, I'm just calling it like I see it. He seems to start off with his head in the game and then either gets frustrated or fed up, I'm not sure which.

Gixmo

You may be right, I'm just calling it like I see it. He seems to start off with his head in the game and then either gets frustrated or fed up, I'm not sure which.
    I certainly don't think your assertion is far off, however I do give the benefit of the doubt that when the starting 11 is established we may see an incresae in the work rates of those out there, simply by virtue of being on the same page with one and other. It's hard to be fluid when your mates left/right are changing daily.

It's very easy to see JDG getting frustrated though. Hand/Arms a flailing after passes etc.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Not sure

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    Alright guys,

JDG was apparantly "ill" to start the game last night. What's the deal?

Either he was "ill" and Preki was trying to save him for thursday night OR there's something going on in the changeroom again.

I will say this, JDG did not look happy when he was on the field. There was a moment where Gargan (I think it was him) sent him a ball that ended up going out of bounds where you could see JDG visible shacking his head and rolling his eyes at the quality of the pass. It actually ticked me off when I saw that, I wonder if he's pulling shit like this at practice?

There is no doubt JDG has more experience and skilll then many of the guys, but right now, he isn't playing any better then these players to be visibly throwing them under the bus.

It could all just be that he was ill, but it's always fun to speculate
    He looked fine and healthly when I shook his hand at the hotel before he boarded the team bus for the game.

Think Preki was saving him....

He should be in the starting lineup on Thurs you would figure.

GlenM
    "You play to win the game"

Herm Edwards - Former NFL Coach

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is exactly what I see as well. At the start of the game he seems OK, he cuts off passes, starts counters, and then passess the ball 1,2,3,4,5,6, times to players that are not there, or who receive the ball but run around like chickenss, then he slows down and seems like he is playing at half speed.

A great defensive mid is not a one way player. A great defensive players stars just ahead of the CB and plays right to say 8 yards from the opposing box. A great defensive mid CAN control the game. However, again having players who do not do much with it is limiting.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

youre not going to see a great DM because Preki likes both his CMs to be box to box, this too might be a bit for De Guzman to adjust to