Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ive been saying this since year one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shaggingscot View Post
    Yes...usually I like his stuff, in fact his previous piece was good. However this bordered on message board nonsense, he's better than that and he knows it.

As far as the rest of the media....bah couldn't give a shit. Most of them haven't kicked a football let alone understand the game.
    This was nonsense. Ben you have done some very good writing in the past, but to be honest if this was a RPB THREAD IT WOULD HAVE BEEN CLOSED!!

I have donated to your Blog because I feel it's important to support you and other footie writers, but please no more Sh*t That stuff I can find on fan forums anywhere.

I do enjoy your Blog, look forward to your next piece of writing, which I'm sure will be articulate and thought provoking!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is what you've been reduced to Ben....not even long posts anymore, just short ones over and over

try backing it up with something if you're gonna call it a blog

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couldn't have said it better. All of the SG's need to put their full weight behind the movement to get Mo sacked - meaning protests at every home game.

Let's do that "pink slip" idea at every single game. Make sure MLSE get the point. Make a huge, section-wide black and white banner that just says "FIRE MO" and unveil it at every single game.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Knight View Post
    Because someone in the media had to say it:

http://onwardsoccer.com/?p=1974
    I believe you mean "someone else."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    Hahhaha, Rocker is that you?
    whoa, referencing me in a thread where I didn't even post!

I'm on your mind eh?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeBest View Post
    But there's no way that Anselmi and Peddie go. The nature of the MLSE beast is such that company value is king. As long as people are buying condos next to ACC and drinking $10 beers at that new megabar, these guys get to keep their job. The only way this changes if the fans stop going and the franchise values are hurt. I'm not sure it's wrong to hand out a ridiculous contract to run the soccer side, it just has to be the right person. Prior to Colangelo-Burke everyone complained endlessly about Peddie's meddling in the teams. We want these guys to be irrelevant. All they have to do is set the tone and keep the guys accountable. Unfortunately they haven't even done that. Instead of setting a goal of winning the MLS Cup right from the start, they said maybe we can win 7 games. That set the tone.

I'll bet the Seattle guys said let's go for the MLS Cup right from the start. So they hired Sigi Schmid, Casey Keller and Freddy Ljunberg before they kicked the first ball. We need that type of ownership.
    Actually, I bet they're gone soon. Peddie will be forced out for sure anyway. Bet on it. The old "pursuing other interests, I want to go out on top, blah blah blah" is coming.

Not because of TFC. Leafs and Raptors competitive situations are dire and starting to significantly affect revenues.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We can agree to disagree on this one. Peddie has been there since the start of the Raptors with Tanenbaum. The value of MLSE has multiplied over the years. He's got to retire someday but getting forced out now I doubt that very much, things would have to get much worse. On the competitive front, he can say he's hired guys with great track records for Leafs/Raptors they just didn't deliver yet.
    Not an unreasonable position.

But I'd point out that the MLSE value increase was mostly the result of inflation (there was not much if any relative outperformance, all they did was raise ticket prices and rights fees, same as everyone else) and has actually declined over the last five years.

Value looks ready to go off a cliff, imho. This summer, with Bosh probably gone and the Bruins probably picking in top 2 overall, will make the TFC offseason look like a picnic.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow people... Take yourselves too seriously much?
    Quote Originally Posted by SteeltownBhoy View Post
    This was nonsense. Ben you have done some very good writing in the past, but to be honest if this was a RPB THREAD IT WOULD HAVE BEEN CLOSED!!

I have donated to your Blog because I feel it's important to support you and other footie writers, but please no more Sh*t That stuff I can find on fan forums anywhere.

I do enjoy your Blog, look forward to your next piece of writing, which I'm sure will be articulate and thought provoking!!
    Quote Originally Posted by TorontoBlades View Post
    this is what you've been reduced to Ben....not even long posts anymore, just short ones over and over

try backing it up with something if you're gonna call it a blog
    Main Entry: blog
    Part of Speech: n
    Definition: an online diary; a personal chronological log of thoughts published on a Web page
    Last edited by Chewy Unikronik; 04-11-2010 at 10:15 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I agree with SteeltownBhoy and TorontoBlades, Ben's recent piece lacks any insight and humour. I like the whole "It's Called Football" gang, but their at their worst when they're trying to be funny.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The sad part is that if Mo goes this year someone else will come in and try to make a 'statement' and while that might be good in the long run it will just add to the ever spinning rotation of players for this club. Every club needs stability. So I say fire Mo now anyway. He needs to go as soon as possible. Like before he trades our first round pick for a Kessel and comes in last anyway... oh wait...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's incredible seeing how reactionary people are being. Columbus (with Warzychaw) last year didn't win their first 9 games, it took time to bed in his philosophy...

incredible amounts of childish name-calling and everything on here. I'm a season ticket holder and have sat in section 114 since the beginning. Some of the people here spout incredible amounts of BS and have clearly joined a band wagon for a sport they don't know a lot about.

Give Preki time.....this is CLEARLY mo's last season, Anselmi made that very clear at the interview he gave @ the MLS Cup Match Presentation.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sashavukelich View Post
    Give Preki time.....this is CLEARLY mo's last season, Anselmi made that very clear at the interview he gave @ the MLS Cup Match Presentation.
    I don't think it was at all clear. It seemed to be that if the team doesn't make the playoffs, Mo will be held accountable.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spot on Ben. Although you could have added another 3000 words to describe Garcia as well.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I don't think it was at all clear. It seemed to be that if the team doesn't make the playoffs, Mo will be held accountable.
    Even then, the only person saying he'll be gone if they don't make the playoffs is Mo. It's not like anyone else in that organization seems to care if any of their teams make the playoffs, certainly no one ever puts their own job on the line over it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But there's no way that Anselmi and Peddie go. The nature of the MLSE beast is such that company value is king. As long as people are buying condos next to ACC and drinking $10 beers at that new megabar, these guys get to keep their job. The only way this changes if the fans stop going and the franchise values are hurt. I'm not sure it's wrong to hand out a ridiculous contract to run the soccer side, it just has to be the right person. Prior to Colangelo-Burke everyone complained endlessly about Peddie's meddling in the teams. We want these guys to be irrelevant. All they have to do is set the tone and keep the guys accountable. Unfortunately they haven't even done that. Instead of setting a goal of winning the MLS Cup right from the start, they said maybe we can win 7 games. That set the tone.

I'll bet the Seattle guys said let's go for the MLS Cup right from the start. So they hired Sigi Schmid, Casey Keller and Freddy Ljunberg before they kicked the first ball. We need that type of ownership.
    Franchise values are hurt. I went to the Raptors game yesterday which had playoff like hype and it was not sold out. I can almost guarantee if TFC fails to play professional soccer sometime soon you will be seeing a lot of empty seats 4 or 5 home games into the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's my follow-up:

http://onwardsoccer.com/?p=1983