Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Player Ratings: New England-TFC

I'll be continuing this feature by popular demand after the game. But be aware I'll be PVR-ing this one so I'll be a bit later than usual. Pysched about seeing TFC again after a bye week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking forward to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I start off? Garcia minus-5 pre-game!!
    Last edited by Nuvinho; 04-10-2010 at 08:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup Garcia is starting. Prove me wrong old man, but your'e getting a 4.5 from me atm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nuvinho View Post
    Can I start off? Garcia minus-5 pre-game!!
    Now its minus-10 for Garcia

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Negative 10!?!?

How the hell can you be so generous!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he's minus infinity... a black hole circles him and sucks life out of the team.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Unfortunately I don't see many positives....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nick Garcia is possibly one of the worst players I have ever seen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lucky strike -- yer gonna have your hands full on this one... you might have to do "first half" and then "second half" ratings and come up with an average. it was like day and night those two halves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw positives the 1st half:

- LaBrocca made some nice passes, was good on the ball
    - Nane did well, was impressed with him, he got up for headers, did well as a LM
    - The Latvian guy (sorry I haven't learnt how to spell his name yet) good tackles, good clearances.

Then the 2nd half hit....and Garcia took over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw positives the 1st half:

- LaBrocca made some nice passes, was good on the ball
    - Nane did well, was impressed with him, he got up for headers, did well as a LM
    - The Latvian guy (sorry I haven't learnt how to spell his name yet) good tackles, good clearances.

Then the 2nd half hit....and Garcia took over.
    Thank god we're separating this match by halves.

First half there was clear potential, good effort, solid determination. I hope these guys can forget the second half, take the confidence from going up 1-0 in a tough stadium and know that when they're at they're best they can compete with any team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    Unfortunately I don't see many positives....
    Many people don't but positives were there.

DeRo in his first match as captain, he did argue for his players to the ref early (prior to the meltdown). Great effort throughout, tried to get his teammates involved.

OBW was a pleasant surprise in the first half. He did get offside a bit too much for my liking but the creativity is there.

Sanyang also had a pleasant game prior to the meltdown. Marking Shalrie Joseph is tough, especially for an 18 year old. But Sanyang hung tough and made it very difficult for Joseph in the first half.

Its hard to mention the positives of most players without mentioning the downsides of the second half.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

First half was okay... second half... ewww.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frei- 6

Gargan- 6
    Attakora- 6
    Garcia- 4
    Rai- 5
    Nane- 4

LeBrocca- 7
    Sanyang- 6
    Saric- 6
    DeRosario- 7
    DeGuzman- 6

Barrett- 6
    OBW- 5
    Ibrahim- 6

Cant wait till Dickov gets here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DichioTFC View Post
    OBW was a pleasant surprise in the first half. He did get offside a bit too much for my liking but the creativity is there.
    Oh? Enlighten me on this "creativity". Perhaps we should deploy him in the good old playmaker role instead then, because he sure as hell isn't winning anything in the air or taking any shots

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fushida View Post
    Oh? Enlighten me on this "creativity". Perhaps we should deploy him in the good old playmaker role instead then, because he sure as hell isn't winning anything in the air or taking any shots
    He's doing ok, the issue is that he's really really really immobile. That knee injury took a large chunk out of his speed (he wasn't too fast to begin with). If someone gets him the ball in good spots, I like his chances.

The issue is really that our mid has no creativity or speed. Our offense is just all about Dero, it's terribly one dimensional.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    Frei- 6

Gargan- 6
    Attakora- 6
    Garcia- 4
    Rai- 5
    Nane- 4

LeBrocca- 7
    Sanyang- 6
    Saric- 6
    DeRosario- 7
    DeGuzman- 6

Barrett- 6
    OBW- 5
    Ibrahim- 6

Cant wait till Dickov gets here
    Attakora with a six? he was personally responsible for a goal. 5 at best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    He's doing ok, the issue is that he's really really really immobile. That knee injury took a large chunk out of his speed (he wasn't too fast to begin with). If someone gets him the ball in good spots, I like his chances.

The issue is really that our mid has no creativity or speed. Our offense is just all about Dero, it's terribly one dimensional.
    When was the last time you saw him in a "good spot"? Has he even scored in pre-season?? If speed was his greatest asset, then what good is it now that he's slow as fuck?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about the latvian?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the latvian was fine at first.. decent tackles, decent idea of what to do back there. I liked him better than Brennan.

but you could see in the second half Nicol knew the Latvian couldn't handle Nyassi's speed so they were abusing him again and again. Finally Preki had to get him out (but it looks like the replacement Nane is a midfielder not a defender).

I thought Gargan performed better than the typical Wynne performance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fushida View Post
    When was the last time you saw him in a "good spot"? Has he even scored in pre-season?? If speed was his greatest asset, then what good is it now that he's slow as fuck?
    He's a big physical guy, if you get the ball to his feet around the 18 he's good at muscling off the defender and creating a chance to shoot. He did compete pretty hard in the air tonight.

How many times did you actually see a midfielder get the ball to our forwards feet tonight, in an attacking position? It was pretty infrequent, in fact i can hardly recall one good pass that was played in and around the 18 yard box.

I'm not going to apologize for his lack of speed, but that's going to be a function of the type of forward we want out there. Sure it would be better if he was fast, but he can still be a threat out there without wheels.

Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep Garcia had yet another rough outing... although that was his nice cross that DeRo scored on.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The supporters should get a 12 rating!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    The supporters should get a 12 rating!
    A rating of 12 for the 12th man. Too bad the 1-11 men couldn't show up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hscanovics was good in the first half, dealt with the ball in the air well and had some good challanges... unfortunately he got booked very early on and couldn't compete with nyassi's speed, nor could he go to ground in agressive challanges... forced to come off as a result of being skinned on a few occassions - possibly a result of a lack of match fitness (he just signed this morning)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well these things always happen to us don’t they? Wouldn’t it be nice if the other team melted down for us once in a while? This game was just a waste of PVR storage. I can’t believe I waited two weeks to see this and I feel even sorrier for the supporters who made their way down to Boston. Immense credit goes to those 400-500 guys and gals. On to the ratings…

Frei (5): I’m really struggling to assign a fair grade to Frei. He made some good saves, yet allowed four goals but also was hung out to dry twice on those four. This is my best evaluation…
    Gargan (6): Face it, all you guys are just itching to get to Garcia and what I’m going to say about him, if you haven’t skipped right to his entry already. I’ll keep it short about Gargan: looks like Preki had the same idea all of us had. Play Gargan on the right and allow Attakora to move back to the centre. Unfortunately, Harden went to the bench, not Garcia. But about Gargan himself, I thought he looked good and can’t think of an instance where he got fleeced. Merits another start.
    Garcia (2): What? “So high a grade!”, I hear you cry in despair. My emotional side wants to give him a minus 100 but I think player ratings are more respected and appreciated if they stay on focus. Needless to say, it was an abortion of a performance. We all joke about how we’re better off with 10 men, but you know what? We’re right; 10 men are better. We know what to expect from an empty space – nothing. The only thing Garcia’s presence does is fool the TFC players into thinking he’s on our side. Honestly, not one of us would go “ah-ha!” if he took his shirt off and revealed the opposition’s team shirt. Honestly, I find it impossible to believe he’s not playing so poorly on purpose. So, to sum up: brutal giveaway resulting in a goal, got beaten on pace several times, tried to overcompensate for his poor pace by gambling and being caught out of position several times and does not communicate. How can this man even show his face to his team-mates? How have they not broken his legs with a rusty lead pipe? How did Frei maintain his composure and not punch him squarely in the jaw? Honestly, I’m not surprised the team crumbled after Garcia’s giveaway special. Can you imagine how that feels? My God, that must be the most discouraging thing in the world. I’m not saying it’s acceptable to crumble like that, but I certainly see a fair explanation for it. So why a 2? Well, he did put in a nice ball to DeRo for the goal. Didn’t know he could do that. Nevertheless, this man should be released right away – guaranteed contract and salary cap consequences be damned. Remember how much I despised Velez and railed against him time and time again? Garcia is worse – much, much…MUCH worse. Abysmal. Terrible. Awful. Dreadful. Appalling. Poor. Horrifying. Dire. Unpleasant. Frightful. Alarming. Shocking. Outrageous. Inexcusable. Inexplicable. Unspeakable. Atrocious. Pitiable. Sickening. Gruesome. Calamitous. Dismal. Grim. Distasteful. Horrid. Objectionable. Disturbing. Upsetting. Startling. Distressing. Disquieting. Scandalous. Deplorable. Shameful. Offensive. Contemptible. Unforgivable. Unpardonable. Intolerable. Indefensible. Unjustifiable. Mysterious. Incomprehensible. Bizarre. Perplexing. Vexing. Disgusting. Revolting. Foul. Ghastly. I’ve run out of synonyms for Garcia. Fuck.
    Attakora (5): Decent effort in his better position. I remember him unable to catch up on the fourth goal. Otherwise, it was as good as it got for a 1-4 loss.
    Hscanovics (6): I like him. Ever since he ran through a New England player around the 10th minute, I’ve liked what he brought. He got a yellow card for it but I thought it was unjustified. Hard tackle to be sure, but I saw nothing wrong with it. Did get caught a bit upfield on the first goal, but otherwise I really liked what I saw. I look forward to seeing more.
    Nane (4.5): Surprised to see the 4th round draft pick get a start. Is that what we’re reduced to? It was a bit unfair of me to think that as I saw the starting XI though. Anyway, he had a decent performance breaking up some plays but offered little going forward. And of course, he had the “Garcia Special” moment.
    Saric (5.5): It’s hard to award higher marks on such a blowout, but I think Saric played his role well today. Solid steel in the middle and appears to be good at holding onto the ball. He’ll prove a good pickup in the long run.
    Sanyang (6): Impressed by the display today. I thought he did a good job at getting up in Joseph’s face, fouling him often and hard, but never earning a card and not giving those fouls in a dangerous area. It’s a bit unfortunate that he’ll probably return to the bench once DeGuzman feels better.
    DeRosario (6.5): An impressive first half. Seemed to be everywhere and of course got the goal, which has excellently taken. Disappeared in the second half though. I think it has to do with the fact that the team resorted to long balls, bypassing the midfield since they needed goals. A good start from the new skipper.
    White (6): A good player in the making. Still needs to get more service but saw an instance or two of him starting to hold up the play to allow team-mates forward in the attack. I look forward to continued development.
    LaBrocca (5): Oddly up front, didn’t know he could play there. He had some instances of good dribbling but nothing dangerous ever materialized. Vive le retour de Chad Barrett!

DeGuzman, on for Sanyang – 60th minute (5.5): You can see why the move was made, JDG brings more attacking instinct than Sanyang. However, by the time he came on, TFC was already trailing 1-3 and New England was choking the midfield, simply looking to defend until full time.
    Barrett, on for Hscanovics – 60th minute (5): Had a half-look at goal, but not much more.
    Ibrahim, on for White – 75th minute (5): Never really made his presence known.

Preki (6): The team was very well shaped in the first half and I’m of the opinion that is a result of Preki’s teaching. He also made substitutions which made sense. DeGuzman offered more attacking options than Sanyang, Hscanovics, a defender, off for Barrett an attacker when TFC needed goals and Ibrahim on for White to try a different look. He gets minus one for starting Garcia. Technically could get a bigger deduction because Garcia was so (use one of my adjectives from above), but he couldn’t know it was going to be that (use one of my adjectives from above). However, he should have recognized that Harden had a better game than Garcia in Columbus.

Referee (6.5): No huge complaints today, I thought he was a bit harsher on TFC players, like on Hscanovics (he needs a shorter nickname), but I think he was unconsciously influenced by the fact that TFC was getting frustrated by the scoreline. He misinterpreted some instances of contact as anger and lashing out by TFC players. There were such cases, but not always. He also missed a swipe by Joseph at Saric.

TFC MOTM: DeRosario: Got the goal and had a beast of a first half.

Most impressed by opposition’s: Shalrie Joseph. Though Schilawski got the hat-trick (seriously, who gets burned by a rookie who’s played at most 3 professional games?), two of those were gifted to him. So I’ll go with Joseph who was monstrously good in the midfield. Honourable mentions go to Tierney who delivered good service all night and Alston who’s proving to be a good young player.

Least impressed by opposition’s: Khano Smith. He’s a cunt, complains to the referee and tries to obnoxiously get players booked.

Conclusion: It really was a horrific second half. But that in itself is a silver lining. The first half was very good, especially given that it was an away match. That gives me some hope going forward. But please Preki, no more Garcia. Ever. I beg of you. I’ll play for free and do a better job. And Garcia, if you happen to be reading this: retire. Now. I mean it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I though Sanyang had an excellent performance in the first half. Not sure what people are seeing in LaBrocca, one or two dangerous passes, but mostly too heavy. Strange to play him in Dero's more natural position, in doing so TFC probably missed a chance to open the game up more in their strong first half.

White was workman-like, but they're asking a lot of him playing up top alone. When defensive help, but we need a power forward type just as much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraSuperMegaMo View Post
    I though Sanyang had an excellent performance in the first half. Not sure what people are seeing in LaBrocca, one or two dangerous passes, but mostly too heavy. Strange to play him in Dero's more natural position, in doing so TFC probably missed a chance to open the game up more in their strong first half.

White was workman-like, but they're asking a lot of him playing up top alone. When defensive help, but we need a power forward type just as much.
    It was my understanding that he was a midfielder only, it really surprised me to see him at forward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frei- 6

Gargan- 5
    Attakora- 5
    Garcia- 2
    Rai- 6
    Nane- 4

LeBrocca- 6
    Sanyang- 6
    Saric- 5
    DeRosario- 7
    DeGuzman- 5

Barrett- 5
    OBW- 5
    Ibrahim- 6

Basically a whole bunch of guys who did very little. I like what I saw out of DeRo and there were a few occasions (granted in the 1st half) where we was clapping his hands and urging guys on ... something you wouldn't expect, but hopefully a sign of things to come being the captain.

Shalrie Joseph is a beast. This is where the restrictive movement in the league kills us. Guys like Shalrie Joseph & Chad Marshall are sure bets for the salaries they command, whereas the type of guys we bring on (on similar money) aren't.