Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty interesting stuff, but I have serious doubts.

1) Ottawa simply will never get an MLS franchise before Montreal and/or Vancouver. As it was mentioned, there's a multitude of other cities in Canada and the US that have a much better chance of properly supporting a team. It's much too small of a market.

2) Edu going to England doesn't sound like a stretch of the imagination, but I really don't think Carver and Mo are gonna let him go just yet. I have a feeling we'll see him play out the rest of the season than let his record speak at that time. He's only got one goal and no assists this year for almost 900 minutes of playing in MLS. I don't think that's enough to attract a club playing in the EPL or even towards the top of Championship. If he does improve, maybe we'll see him off in 2009, but again, not at the moment.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post

1) Ottawa simply will never get an MLS franchise before Montreal and/or Vancouver. As it was mentioned, there's a multitude of other cities in Canada and the US that have a much better chance of properly supporting a team. It's much too small of a market.
    I could see them getting a USL 1 spot after Montreal or Vancouver leave for the MLS but that's it. I think the USL would jump at the chance to get them into their league seeing as how so many of their clubs are leaving for the MLS or want to join.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They want to build a SSS out in Kanata. Can't see it being marketed to anybody other then kids and families.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's exactly what they shouldn't do. They should build close to downtown. Or they can buy Lansdown and renovated it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    No Detroit, Atlanta or Miami (i honestly dont see them coming or being them supported)

I can't speak personally about the other two cities, but I can say that Miami, with an SSS, would be a bigger success than TFC.

The level of football interest in that community is higher, by a significant margin, than other other city in North America.

The Fusion "failed" because they had terrible ownership and played in a high school stadium far from anywhere (sort of like the Panthers in the NHL, btw, they keep repeating this problem down there). Even despite all that, ask Tyrone Marshall (I have) - the Fusion fans were right up there with the Barra Brava. (Tyrone makes his home down there still, btw)

The Fusion and the Tampa Mutiny were folded in 2001, when MLS were a very different league, they were on the brink.

Miami got a promise, from the then-commissioner and AEG, to return, fwiw.
    Last edited by ensco; 06-19-2008 at 07:41 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I can't speak personally about the other two cities, but I can say that Miami, with an SSS, would be a bigger success than TFC.

The level of football interest in that community is higher, by a significant margin, than other other city in North America.

The Fusion "failed" because they had terrible ownership and played in a high school stadium far from anywhere (sort of like the Panthers in the NHL, btw, they keep repeating this problem down there). Even despite all that, ask Tyrone Marshall (I have) - the Fusion fans were right up there with the Barra Brava. (Tyrone makes his home down there still, btw)

The Fusion and the Tampa Mutiny were folded in 2001, when MLS were a very different league, they were on the brink.

Miami got a promise, from the then-commissioner and AEG, to return, fwiw.
    Ill see if i can dig it up but since then the MLS said it would turn its back on florida unless someone stepped in saying they would buy an SSS and pay the fee by a certain date (the 5th i think) and obviously noone has. If you look at other sports (and how they are supported) in florida you dont see much success anywhere whether its with hockey (no shit, they dont like hockey in floriday?!), baseball (big cuban and venezuelan contingent, still no support) or football (americas game). There are just too many other places (St Louis, Portland, Montreal, Vancouver, NY2) that are certain and solid places.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    It's tough because you need the combination of the owner and the fans. Either one on their own isn't enough.

In year one economics (back in the stone age, I admit) we learned if something isn't selling you can lower the price or raise the price. The MLS has raised the price of admission so much that they're now looking at a completely different class of owners.

I'm sure they'd like to a guy like Melnyk in the league, but does it have to be Ottawa?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ottawa just isnt going to happen.
    Of all places Ottawa is the last.
    Ottawa doesnt need it, want it or deserve it.
    Talk about a place to fail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post

2) Edu going to England doesn't sound like a stretch of the imagination, but I really don't think Carver and Mo are gonna let him go just yet. I have a feeling we'll see him play out the rest of the season than let his record speak at that time. He's only got one goal and no assists this year for almost 900 minutes of playing in MLS. I don't think that's enough to attract a club playing in the EPL or even towards the top of Championship. If he does improve, maybe we'll see him off in 2009, but again, not at the moment.
    How many goals does Jimmy Brennan have? exactly. I don't understand why people are still judging Edu by the number of goals and assists he gets when that has NOTHING to do with his role. He's a defensive midfielder for crying out loud.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    How many goals does Jimmy Brennan have? exactly. I don't understand why people are still judging Edu by the number of goals and assists he gets when that has NOTHING to do with his role. He's a defensive midfielder for crying out loud.
    Yep, playing in his second professional year with WAY better players.
    I think hes doing fine and people need to give the guy some time, he really is still developing and better then Harmse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    Agreed. Also, scouts at that level are going to looking the all around picture, not just current form.

If true, I'd be Keano has him marked as a box to box player, and I can't think of a single better mentor in the world for that than Roy Keane.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In Areas Like Glochester ( area in Ottawa) Soccer is big i know a lot of people that play in in Ottawa. That being said i agree that Montreal or Vancouver would get a spot first and then maybe Ottawa would join USL 1.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keystone FC View Post
    I could see them getting a USL 1 spot after Montreal or Vancouver leave for the MLS but that's it. I think the USL would jump at the chance to get them into their league seeing as how so many of their clubs are leaving for the MLS or want to join.
    Oh for sure. USL-1 or USL-2 makes a lot of sense. The sort of scenario just fits well with the city and the USL organisation. I could easily picture it becoming a bit of a feeder team as well for Toronto and (hopefully) or Montreal.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco
    That's good point, but would you not agree that Brennan is a better game as a straight defender than Edu does as a defensive mid?
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 06-19-2008 at 03:07 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.