Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rumour-Iwan Redan, Kerry Baptiste and Canadian Adrian Cann to Toronto FC?

not the most reliable sourse but could solve some issues in teh short term...

http://www.mls-rumors.net/7857/2010/...to-toronto-fc/

Lots of going on at TFC today, club Captain Jim Brennan steps down to take up a position as assistant GM, reportedly due to personality conflicts with Preki. Also, strikers Iwan Redan, a Dutch player best know for headbutting one of his own players during a game, and Kerry Baptiste, a prolific TNT international, are strongly rumoured be signing with the club. Canadian international Adrian Cann, an off-again, on-again trialist with the club, was seen at training today.

Full Name Iwan Redan
    Birth Date August 21, 1980
    Birth Place : Netherlands
    Height 5′ 11″ (1.80m)
    Weight 172 lbs (78 kg)
    Age 29
    Position Forward

Kerry Baptiste – photo www.socawarriors.net
    Position Midfielder
    Height 175 cm
    Date of Birth December 1st, 1981 (age 28)
    Place of Birth Carenage, Trinidad and Tobago
    Debut January 29th, 2003 (aged 21)
    Caps/Goals 43 ( 8 goals)
    Current Club Joe Public (2007- present)

Adrian Cann – Photo www.efb.dk
    Date of birth 19 September 1980 (1980-09-19) (age 29)
    Place of birth Thornhill, Canada
    Height 1.90 m (6 ft 3 in)
    Playing position Defender

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adrian Cann has to be considered a lock at this point, with the departure of Brennan.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

where have we seen this type of player before lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iwan_Redan

2004–2007: Willem II and rise to fame

At Willem II he became one of the teams key players and almost represented the team in all of their league games. However in late December 2005 he and Dutch international player Kevin Bobson were relegated to Willem II's second team because their mental and physical performances were considered to be weak.[7] As a result Redan wanted to leave the club and went on trial to several clubs like Preston North End, Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich Town and CD Numancia, but did never sign a contract and returned to Willem II.[8] Since then he hardly played any matches until he became a regular again in the 2006/07 season and even became the team's captain. Willem II was however performing badly and was found in the lower rankings of the league all the time. During a KNVB Cup match against De Graafschap Redan headbutted team mate Kristof Imschoot and the Willem II board decided Redan had to leave the club.[9]

2007–present: downfall

Redan was not sold, but found himself on loan to Cardiff City FC. He failed to establish himself in the squad and at the end of the season he returned to Willem II but was released by the club at the end of the year. He had a trial for Aris Thessaloniki F.C. but he did not persuade the head coach Dusan Bajevic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i like this: kerry baptiste 2007 - present - 87 appearances, 67 goals!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerry_Baptiste

redan seems like a reject and a trouble maker.

cann is needed big time!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if we had to bounce Brennan for enough cap space to help bring this lot in then we absolutely have NO money left!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Press conference tomorrow at 1:30 to announce player movement

Not sure if that's players in or Jimmy B out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh look who's on the club's radar, it's another well traveled striker with a spotty record.
    Excellent.
    Last edited by Stryker; 04-06-2010 at 07:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope some reporter just stands up and asks.. Wtf m8?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw Cann at training today..
    He looked really good. Tackled hard, played smart, good first touch.
    That would be a good pick up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hodgkiss View Post
    i like this: kerry baptiste 2007 - present - 87 appearances, 67 goals!
    that sounds like my scoring record as 'Be a Pro' in FIFA10 on beginner level

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ummm I seem to recall Baptiste being the Captian of Joe Public. At least during the last two Concacaf CL's. What reason would he have to leave... did he just play one game in the regular season an say, fuck it I've played close to home long enough?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    ummm I seem to recall Baptiste being the Captian of Joe Public. At least during the last two Concacaf CL's. What reason would he have to leave... did he just play one game in the regular season an say, fuck it I've played close to home long enough?
    I could think of two reasons. Money and the sizeable Trinidadian community in Toronto...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After the Hedo disaster, we don;t need any communities help...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post
    After the Hedo disaster, we don;t need any communities help...
    BALL!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuck me if Mo signs Cann as a replacement for the horrendous defense we have. We don't need more depth. WE NEED STARTERS!

Gixmo

I don't see why Cann would be a bad addition, We clearly need some defensive help.

We also need strikers, Yes - But we hurt all over. Baptiste is an ideal candidate unless this is smoke & mirrors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gixmo View Post
    I don't see why Cann would be a bad addition, We clearly need some defensive help.

We also need strikers, Yes - But we hurt all over. Baptiste is an ideal candidate unless this is smoke & mirrors
    So any defender is a good addition because we need defenders? what about Cann tells you he's good enough as a starter in the MLS? If Cann works out then he's overachieving. There's nothing about his resume that makes me think this guy can replace Nick Garcia at CB.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    So any defender is a good addition because we need defenders? what about Cann tells you he's good enough as a starter in the MLS? If Cann works out then he's overachieving. There's nothing about his resume that makes me think this guy can replace Nick Garcia at CB.
    So you are saying we should keep Garcia?

Whats wrong with you,you can't make a statement like that in public,angry mob will get you right away.

Now back to topic,Cann is at least 5 years younger and that 10 cm taller,that makes him better CB than our Designated Pylon Garcia.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

white shirt covered in alcohol stains
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Found this info on Iwan Redan from The Offside
    http://cardiff.theoffside.com/cardif...ppened-to.html

"Iwan REDAN (01/07 – 05/07)
    A Surinamese striker with pace and power making waves in the Eredivisie. Sound familiar? To followers of Oranje-flavoured football, this is a scenario that generally plays out each season as numerous neophytes burst in to XIs nationwide. Alas, breakthrough sealed, so began young Iwan’s descent to the proverbial wayside. Tales of ugly footballer-style excess, car crashes, and the dissipation of that famous burst of pace culminated in Redan leaving the Netherlands after offering a teammate a Glaswegian kiss.
    The Dutchman’s locomotive had ground to a permanent shrieking halt at the perdition that is Stagnation Station. Below the platforms, Cardiff City were one of the retail outlets Redan browsed at during his time in the concourse. A player once dubbed the ‘new Patrick Kluivert‘ scarcely featured in the blue shirt despite arriving with a commendable career goal tally. Even when he did get opportunities, it was only to be upstaged by youngsters against the likes of Carmarthen Town. Since his time in Glamorgan, the Surinamese stroller has lugged his socks & shinnies to Aris Thessaloniki (Greece), RKC Waalwijk, RBC Roosendaal, AEP Paphos (Cyprus), Excelisor, and Germany’s VfL Osnabrück respectively. Most recently, Redan has embarked upon fruitless trials with FC Zwolle, and latterly, Den Bosch. It would appear the flâneur’s train is still lifeless at the aforementioned rail stop, doing little more than gathering rust and ‘NCF’ graffiti."

Doesn't sound very promising. Sound like he needs a complete change of attitude, a new found commitment and his speed from 5 years ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would still play Garcia over Cann...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never heard of Redan. I think Cann is better suited for a back-up roll. Baptiste is a solid player - he's also a target man type striker, not a midfielder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    I've never heard of Redan. I think Cann is better suited for a back-up roll. Baptiste is a solid player - he's also a target man type striker, not a midfielder.

He was a midfielder/wide forward for most of his career, because he's really good with the ball at his feet. He moved to striker last season and scored 47 goals, apparently. Can create by dribbling through people, open up defences. We were looking at him two seasons ago (I think he came over for a trial then, and was still playing wide.)

He had trials in England but the usual problem of work permit issues got in the way. Given how much other club interest there's been in him over the last four years or so, I'd say he's got a legit shot.

EDIT: he just got back from a trial at Ipswich but it must've not worked out. There's an interview on one of the sites saying he turned down a trial with TFC and FC Dallas because he wanted a direct contract offer. He also scored a hat-trick in domestic play last week.
    Last edited by jloome; 04-06-2010 at 10:38 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I honestly do not know about Iwan and Baptiste but definaty we need Cann in the defensive position

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll be happy if we can get Baptiste. The other two don't interest me very much.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I've seen him play a few times, and each of those times he's been a striker - maybe as a wide forward (I guess depending on formation and how you want to define a particular role). On the national team, his role seems to be to hold up the ball and make a quick, short pass to Kenwyne Jones...he tends to dangle the ball at his feet to draw in defenders, then tucks the ball through to open space/a breaking Jones. On Joe Public - in the games that I've watched - he's more of a traditional striker. He can run with the ball and shoot, but they tend to play the ball into him while his back is to the goal and he turns and fires.

I assume we'd be interested in him as a striker, not a midfielder...

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we got Baptiste as a striker, we'd have him up front with either White or Barrett.
    Then we throw DeRo in as attacking midfeilder in the centre, allowing DeGuzman to play a more central defensive role, which is honestly where he's best suited!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OP says Baptiste is mid.

But posts say otherwise. Either way, intriguing for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Baptiste is an intriguing player.

Cann can play at this level. He's not as good as Jakovic (DCU) but better than what TFC has at the moment at CB, imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the little I know of them (come on, I've totally read their wikis) I would say:

Cann would be a good signing. With our limited cap space, and the way Preki seems to favour role players on defense rather than players with unique upsides (he dumped Wynne pretty fast), Cann seems the perfect fit. Would probably come very cheap, has height, seems to be a solid player, and can fit into a system. That exactly what we need at defense. Sure, he isn't flashy, but Preki hates flashy players at the back.

Baptiste could actually be great. Scoring that many goals, even in an inferior league, is quite something. He seems to be a striker that can create for himself, which is what we sorely need on this team. He also doesn't seem to be on a downward spiral like many of our signings, so I have some good hope for him.

Speaking of downward spirals, Redan I expect to be an absolute disaster signing. Somehow Mo seems to find players that used to be prospects, but never quite made it and have been falling ever since (ala Ricketts, sorry Ricketts fans). Redan I imagine is one of those players. I can't see Preki liking him, I can't see him getting along with our team, and I can't see him scoring many goals for us. I hope he proves me wrong, but I feel like he's going to be offered 200k and then be benched for most of the season. I only hope Mo stays the fuck away from the guaranteed contract papers in this case, because I don't want another Gerba situation at the beginning of next year.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adrian Cann should be a good depth acquisition, but likely they look at him in a starting role, I am supposing to replace Jimmy B. From what Ive seen of him, he tends to stop moving his feet and watch the game, but I think he would benefit from the Preki style of play.

For the other two, I am cautious about bringing in a player from a lower level of talent and people who have 'mental' issues.... Baptistes strike rate appears impressive however.

What ever happened to Said? He looked promising.
    Last edited by J .; 04-07-2010 at 08:19 AM.